View Full Version : SPOILER: TheFutureEmbrace Review

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Okay, i have listened to it a few times now and will try to put down some impressions. This is however very hard, since it needs some time to sink in as Ad Hoc Alias already stated. I love all of Billys work, but I am also a Siamese Dream fanatic, so i know what many people wish this album to be like.

Forget about it. Don't think Rock. Billy said "Future Rock", but the emphasis is clearly on "Future".
It is so different that it's really a shock at first and I know it is most likely going to be a dissapointment in some way for a lot of you.
It sounds neither like Pumpkins nor Zwan - I appreciate that, because I think it adds another colour to the Corgan palette and I am happy to see Billy making progression musically. It's not an electronic experiment, this time he seems really confident and comfortable with it.

i'm not an expert on their catalogues but i think it would be adequate to compare the sound to new order and joy division.

i miss some things i've always loved about the pumpkins, like surprising song changes, the quiet-loud dynamics, this underlying violence or the trademark screams (his singing has become too good by now : ), but the songs are quite strong and have this subtle beauty. Just as the two Mellon Collie disks resemble day and night,
i like to think that Adore is the nocturnal, disenchanted aftermath to TheFuture Embrace. FTE gets quieter at the end, maybe with StrayZ floating into To Sheila? Maybe he was thinking of this sound when he talked about the death of rock and doing a totally electric album with Adore at first.
very few distinctive guitars indeed, but billy never was so danceable lol

I will post some thoughts on the single tracks in a minute

All Things change: comes in as quite a shock and shows the direction of the new sound. it's cool in some wacky way.

Mina Loy (M.O.H.): A sort of feverish dream, dark and powerful, makes me wanna dance. love it. MOH stands for My Old Heart.

The Camera Eye: Totally rad. cool beat, great dynamic. probably my favourite. makes me wanna dance.

To Love Somebody: perhaps a bit overproduced (crying tree?) and too focused on the beat. the production sort of kills the nice vocal melody of the original and you can barely hear robert smith. not bad, but i expected more

A100: i'm starting to really get into this one. love song. nice singing. i'm starting to think these songs will be awesome live

DIA: very joy division, think transmission, and i think you can hear emily autumn play her umm violin? Jimmys drumming is refreshing, i like the vocal line a lot.

Now (And Then): slow, monotone wacky cool beat over which billy sings softly. soot & stars sort of. sounds like it's your first day on earth.

I'm ready: got a positive feel, beat sounds Daft Punk-esque

walking shade: at first listen this was the first song that put a smile of approval on my face. it's very 80s and i quite enjoy it. Again i have to agree with Ad Hoc: this one is good, but close after Mina Loy and TheCameraEye. makes me wanna dance too

sorrows (in blue): again a monotone beat, very dense machina-esque production

Pretty, pretty Star: This one's sort of a lullaby. not too exciting in my opinion.

strayZ: really quiet, just a little music and billy softly singing over it... very soothing. rivaling pretty pretty STAR for the lullaby crown.

Quiet
04-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix Down

i think it would be legimate to compare the sound to new order and joy division.

Hey, I like the sounds of that! Thanks a lot for posting this review. Unlike others (*cough*strawberry*cough*), you actually provide some insight other than "THIS FUCKING RULES!". I look forward to seeing what else you have to say about it. And very polite thread title as well.

fuk_tha_nub
04-19-2005, 05:45 PM
thank you

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 05:54 PM
you're welcome....and just ask if you have any questions....

i'll put the song comments in my original post

MrPantyFAce
04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
delicous

Blabla
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
This is very interesting !
Thanks for the review.
I have one question actually, does the sound and mood of the album reflect itself in the artworks we have seen so far ? This sort of dark 19th century imagery...

Post more ! :D

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 05:57 PM
it's very dense electro sound...production is sort of machina as Ad Hoc already said, but without jimmy. closest pumpkins songs: maybe Eye, Destination Unknown, Dreaming and especially The End is the Beginning.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Blabla
This is very interesting !
Thanks for the review.
I have one question actually, does the sound and mood of the album reflect itself in the artworks we have seen so far ? This sort of dark 19th century imagery...

i don't have the artwork. i wish i had, cause artwork usually tells a lot about the feel. a darker design would suit this album definitely better than a rainbow.

Blabla
04-19-2005, 06:01 PM
http://www.billycorgan.com/images/main3.jpg
We can assume this is part of the artwork.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:07 PM
i see.
that looks gothic...but it's not entirely black as Adore yet. FTE is the evening, Adore's the night

fuk_tha_nub
04-19-2005, 06:07 PM
http://www.billycorgan.com/images/main3.jpg
We can assume this is part of the artwork.

not really i think thats from the video shoot and no way to know if its also part of the cd artwork

Blabla
04-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by fuk_tha_nub

not really i think thats from the video shoot and no way to know if its also part of the cd artwork

The first picture we've seen of this serie of artwork was on billy's website almost before or a few days after the supposed video shoot, so it's very unlikely a part of it. But who knows... (the paper-ish style make it more like an album artwork than a video though...)

fuk_tha_nub
04-19-2005, 06:12 PM

The first picture we've seen of this serie of artwork was on billy's website almost before or a few days after the supposed video shoot, so it's very unlikely a part of it. But who knows... (the paper-ish style make it more like an album artwork than a video though...)

wrong _ weeks after the video shoot ...not days before or after
its from the fucking video

Woody
04-19-2005, 06:20 PM
This is interesting and the New Order comparison is exciting...but...

I know you've only just heard it but forgetting the aesthetic and the shock of the new vibe... is it a good album? Do the songs themselves stand up to Zwan/Pumpkins? Also 'Dreaming' is one of my fave Pumpkins songs so I'm loving that comparison :D .

spguitar
04-19-2005, 06:21 PM
and especially The End is the Beginning.

Looks like this is the album i hoped Adore would be :D

Quiet CD
04-19-2005, 06:22 PM
TFE is really going to blow all of you away.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Quiet CD
TFE is really going to blow all of you away.

Is this a hunch or have you heard it too?

Blabla
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
The End is the beginning is the End and Eye ???
Wow, there couldn't have been a better comparison to make me impatient.

RopeyLopey
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
so i know what many people wish this album to be like.
you know everything

Boseph
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
A question...

Lyrically speaking, how does the album hold up? One of the main letdowns of MSOTS was the weak, generic lyrics. Would you say this is a return to form?

Could you maybe post some fragments or verses that stuck out to you as good?

Woody
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I don't like Eye that much any more. So I hope it isn't too much like that.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Woody
This is interesting and the New Order comparison is exciting...but...

I know you've only just heard it but forgetting the aesthetic and the shock of the new vibe... is it a good album? Do the songs themselves stand up to Zwan/Pumpkins? Also 'Dreaming' is one of my fave Pumpkins songs so I'm loving that comparison :D .

but as is said: i don't know an aweful lot of new orders stuff

Is it a good album? Mhm, definitely. But certainly in no way comparable to pumpkins or zwan. You won't find a second Soma or Tonight Tonight or Glass and the Ghost Children or Ruby. it's mainly straight forward beats. i think it's really cool but on the other hand i also miss billys awesome guitar skills

spguitar
04-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Better than the new NIN? I want Billy to bury Reznor :D

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Boseph
A question...

Lyrically speaking, how does the album hold up? One of the main letdowns of MSOTS was the weak, generic lyrics. Would you say this is a return to form?

Could you maybe post some fragments or verses that stuck out to you as good?

i'm not a native speaker so i don't quite understand every bit, but i might try and put some stuff down tomorrow. the lyrics arent as dramatic and celebrated as pumpkins lyrics, but they're better than Zwan lyrics i suppose

Blabla
04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by spguitar
Better than the new NIN?

That's not too hard... beside the last song, i found With_Teeth to be pretty boring...

Anyway, Phoenix Down, if i liked The Crying Tree, Eye, Tear or let's say Blissed and Gone more than the traditionnal "rock" SP stuff you mentionned, do you think i will be satisfied by this new direction ?

Damn, i'm getting nervous about this whole thing :)

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't like Eye that much any more. So I hope it isn't too much like that.

FTE has a more complex sound. I never really liked the sparse instrumentation of Eye.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by spguitar
Better than the new NIN? I want Billy to bury Reznor :D

haven't heard it yet. A friend of mine who is also really into NIN liked TFE though.

Woody
04-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Well now I'm really curious.

I loved the production on Machina 1 though (yes, really) so again things look positive.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:39 PM

That's not too hard... beside the last song, i found With_Teeth to be pretty boring...

Anyway, Phoenix Down, if i liked The Crying Tree, Eye, Tear or let's say Blissed and Gone more than the traditionnal "rock" SP stuff you mentionned, do you think i will be satisfied by this new direction ?

Damn, i'm getting nervous about this whole thing :)

Yes, but FTE is on many songs faster and has more energy than those songs. It's only gonna be a major letdown if you expect acoustic gems as pennies, rotten apples, in the arms of sleep ect or great guitar riff action a la Siva, Zero, rocket or whatever. it's more about creating a certain atmosphere and soundscape.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Well now I'm really curious.

I loved the production on Machina 1 though (yes, really) so again things look positive.

i listened to machina 1 again yesterday and i was totally enjoying it.

Oh, Rain Drops and Sun Showers sounds totally FTE. i forgot that one.

Woody
04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Yes, but FTE is on many songs faster and has more energy than those songs.

Does Billy's voice fit these up-tempo soundscapes? Is Appels and Oranjes a good comparison?

Boseph
04-19-2005, 06:43 PM

...but they're better than Zwan lyrics i suppose

Well that "i suppose" doesn´t sound too promising...

Would really appreciate some samples at some point, if you could.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 06:44 PM

Oh, Rain Drops and Sun Showers sounds totally FTE. i forgot that one.

OH GOD!

:o

Blabla
04-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Yes, but FTE is on many songs faster and has more energy than those songs. It's only gonna be a major letdown if you expect acoustic gems as pennies, rotten apples, in the arms of sleep ect or great guitar riff action a la Siva, Zero, rocket or whatever. it's more about creating a certain atmosphere and soundscape.

Everything i wanted to hear... We have enough acoustic or riffs from Billy, i always wanted him to exploit the electronic atmosphere he drawed with Eye, Batman's soundtrack or some machina songs... I'm pretty much thrilled by what i hear from you so far.

thanx for this exciting thread !

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Does Billy's voice fit these up-tempo soundscapes? Is Appels and Oranjes a good comparison?

voice fits perfectly. not the most emotional, but pretty good singing

Appels and Oranjes is a very good comparison, yes. Could actually easily be on the album.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I know this is very premature...but I feel an obligation to ask vague questions as it is currently the closest I can come to actually hearing it. SO...

In your personal opinion, and obviously keeping in mind the fact that you´ve barely had time to let it sink in...how does it rank with his previous work (quality wise, not sound wise)? Best album since Adore?

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I know this is very premature...but I feel an obligation to ask vague questions as it is currently the closest I can come to actually hearing it. SO...

In your personal opinion, and obviously keeping in mind the fact that you´ve barely had time to let it sink in...how does it rank with his previous work (quality wise, not sound wise)? Best album since Adore?

You don't seem to like Machina, which I think is great. I believe I will like the Pumpkins albums better cause I personally prefer prominent guitars over synthies. However, TFE is the best electronic music he has done so far.
In my humble opinion it's better than Mary Star of the Sea and Gish. But that's just me.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:09 PM

You don't seem to like Machina, which I think is great. I believe I will like the Pumpkins albums better cause I personally prefer prominent guitars over synthies. However, TFE is the best electronic music he has done so far.

I DO like Machina...I just hate Raindrops and Sunshowers :D

I just think each album got progressively worse after MCIS (though I still love Adore and Machina to death). Just curious if this will break the trend.

I guess it´s all personal opinions and tastes anyway. Sorry, stupid question.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I noticed someone said they sent you a pm about watermarks. Any word on whether there´s a way around it...or is taking the risk out of the question?

Thanks for all the info, by the way.

Blabla
04-19-2005, 07:30 PM
It was me sending the pm. Working for an indie label and also writing for a newspaper, i've experienced both sides of the watermarking problem. I was also part of an advance leaking team back in 2003. Anyway, Phoenix Down has no interest in doing a leak now, as someone could track it back with a simple google search (and finding out this forum).

I was just wanting to give him advice if he wanted to give some copies to his close friends without taking any risks himself if it goes out of control. I've seen him quite anxious about the whole watermark thing, in another thread.

Anyway, seeing on how promo cd's are given out, we won't be waiting too long for a public leak.

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Anyway, seeing on how promo cd's are given out, we won't be waiting too long for a public leak.

But won´t all the promo copies be watermarked? IS there a way around it...or is someone inevitably going to get fucked if they leak it?

Fonzie
04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
it's very dense electro sound...production is sort of machina as Ad Hoc already said, but without jimmy. closest pumpkins songs: maybe Eye, Destination Unknown, Dreaming and especially The End is the Beginning.

Oh. all my favourites...

NAWT!

Woody
04-19-2005, 07:37 PM
How fucked could you actually get? What happened to the french journo?

LIZARD-KING
04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Sorry im new here but can i ask where uv all heard this music

Blabla
04-19-2005, 07:39 PM

But won´t all the promo copies be watermarked? IS there a way around it...or is someone inevitably going to get fucked if they leak it?

There is a simple way. But it requires patience, discretion, and some people to help you.

And yes, everyone of them is watermarked, but as you can see, albums are still leaking everyday, and barely no one has ever personally been busted for that (or else the majors would proudly exhibit it, to scare more people). That is because leaking teams know what they do, and how to do it ;)

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:40 PM
How fucked could you actually get? What happened to the french journo?

Didn´t Gooch call him and say "you´re fucked"? Judging by that I would assume the degree to which one could get "fucked" is pretty high. They could press charges, I would imagine.

Phoenix Down
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
i understand the interest in this watermark problem, but let's discuss this in the other thread so i can answer questions regarding the album here.

LIZARD-KING
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
show me where

Veni$
04-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Could we B N E more jealous?

JediFysche: hi ok

luva: hey

JediFysche: did U contact my publisher?

luva: yeah, but only yesterday...i was very busy
luva: i got the album today
luva: i posted a review on netphoria if you're interested

JediFysche: WHICH ALBUM
JediFysche: THANK U 4 contacting Lautsprecherverlag
JediFysche: [[[hugs]]]]

luva: thefutureembrace!

JediFysche: STFU!!!!
JediFysche: no, eye need 2 hear it!
JediFysche: GIMMEH!

luva:hehe

JediFysche: U GOTTA BURN ME 1...& then mail it 2 me.
JediFysche: *shakes ok*

luva: it's got a watermark

JediFysche: so what.

luva:they can trace it

JediFysche: SUNUVA.
JediFysche: just mail it 2 me & we'll B all good.:-P

luva: haha, what if you're a bad girl and upload it?

JediFysche: did U START this thread?

luva:yes

JediFysche: of course, nice avatart.
JediFysche: ok, BACK 2 ME.

luva: heh

JediFysche: so U contacted my publisher
JediFysche: heh

luva: when this thing in amsterdam?
luva: is
luva: can#t wait to read you book by the way

JediFysche: yeah as long as U give me a good review.

JediFysche: EYE'm so jealous.
JediFysche: ANYWAY
JediFysche: the Amsterdam thing is in August
JediFysche: but the BIG book release party is in Stuttgart June 25,
JediFysche: We R still trying 2 get a gig in Berlin if U have N E contacts
JediFysche: or a book reading
JediFysche: & what if eye PROMISE 2 B a GOOD GIRL & not upload TFE?>>>
JediFysche: hah

luva: but i'm absolutely fucked if you upload it or give it to anyone

JediFysche: well U could absolutely fuck me over, couldn't U.
JediFysche: U could give me an AWFUL review in your magazines about my book & then eye'm done in Germany
JediFysche: which is teh largest book market.
JediFysche: so it wouldn't B in my best interest 2 double cross U, would it.
JediFysche: heh.

luva: hm
luva: good point
luva: and what do i get?
luva: eternal gratitude?

JediFysche: U'll get 2 B my friend.
JediFysche: which U already R
JediFysche: so that doesn't matter.
JediFysche: eye don't want U 2 do N E thing U R uncomfortable with
JediFysche: eye will just w8 with all teh rest of teh masses.
JediFysche: 2 get a burnt copy
JediFysche: hahahah
:D :D

ick liebe Leute aus Berlin :D

Boseph
04-19-2005, 07:43 PM
There is a simple way. But it requires patience, discretion, and some people to help you.

And yes, everyone of them is watermarked, but as you can see, albums are still leaking everyday, and barely no one has ever personally been busted for that (or else the majors would proudly exhibit it, to scare more people). That is because leaking teams know what they do, and how to do it ;)

Ahh..ok. Hopefully there is a Pumpkins fan on one of these leaking teams who´ll get on the ball.

LIZARD-KING
04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
so whats goin on can we hear it

Woody
04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Well there's not much more to say until we hear it I guess.

A lot of what you say sounds promising, but I still have some reservations about whether an album of this style won't be pretty dull as from what you've described there doesn't appear to be any magic, shivers down your spine moments. I'm worried itll be cold, calculated and a retread of Adore/Machina. I think I'd personally be more excited by definitive studio versions of Cast A Stone, A New Poetry and the prospect of another Zwan album.

Still I AM excited by this...though dont want to get my hopes up...

Woody
04-19-2005, 07:50 PM
JediFysche: did U contact my publisher?

JediFysche: U could give me an AWFUL review in your magazines about my book & then eye'm done in Germany

JediFysche: We R still trying 2 get a gig in Berlin if U have N E contacts
JediFysche: or a book reading
JediFysche: & what if eye PROMISE 2 B a GOOD GIRL & not upload TFE?>>>

This person got a book published? :erm

The world is mocking me.

Veni$
04-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Not just 1 book, 3.

And they're being turned in2 feature films, as well.
:p
"thanks for your support...not like I need it"
guess who said that?

JediFysche: did eye say ick liebe correctly?

luva: no, you made an awesome mistake

JediFysche: o no, what is that

luva: I = Ich

JediFysche: o fuck
JediFysche: what does ick mean

luva: but people in Berlin say Ick instead of Ich

JediFysche: o GOOD

luva: so that makes it perfect

JediFysche: so it was a good mistake

luva: exactly

JediFysche: what about people in Stuttgart

luva: i was impressed that u even know the regional lingo lol
luva: they say ich

JediFysche: eye am accidentally perfect

luva: it's only the people in berlin
luva: heh right

JediFysche: how do U say
JediFysche: ja vol

luva: accidentally perfect is an awesome title
luva: jawohl

JediFysche: IT"S MINE
JediFysche: jawohl

luva: you should come to berlin while you're in germany
luva: you will love berlin

JediFysche: BERLIN LOVES ME
JediFysche: ask the hotel adlon
JediFysche: heh

luva: you could have invited me you douchebag

Blabla
04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
What's the point of these posts ?

NilSineDeo
04-19-2005, 08:17 PM
wait a minute... does Fysche post here, or just the person who was talking to him???

NilSineDeo
04-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by NilSineDeo
wait a minute... does Fysche post here, or just the person who was talking to him???

haha, nevermind. I read your profile and saw that it's you!

the only reason I ask is because we both have pieces published in the same book, "Different Voices of Desire." I just thought that was cool.

oh, and i'm a March-14th-er too. :cool:

vanilla
04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks for writing "spoiler" in the topic. i did not read this thread. :)

pineapple*soul
04-19-2005, 09:20 PM
after all these years of reading fysche as something like fsike,

i've finally come to realise its fish, i feel stoopid

wHATcOLOR
04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
oh man! i always thought it was like feeesh :o

pineapple*soul
04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Jerome
oh man! i always thought it was like feeesh :o

im sorry im a noob

wHATcOLOR
04-19-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by pineapple*soul

im sorry im a noob

no, you might be right!

Ensoul
04-19-2005, 10:31 PM
hey, couldn't you just put it on a stereo then put a condenser microphone up to the speakers and rip it in that format?

I understand it wouldn't be the best of quality... but it would hold us over at least. haha.

c'mon... this is NETPHORIA!.. one of you illegal dudes has to know a ways to bypass the watermark.

Inkyoctopus19
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM

With Teeth got leaked. This will inevitably get leaked as well and probably sooner than we all think.

I don't know about watermarks but it seems people get around this shit one way or another.

SpFission
04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
you people are so impatient.. jUST WAIT GODDAMIT...its gonna get leaked eventually, although I hope it doesn't leak because I enjoy watchin you guys squirm!

pee pee colada
04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
man. this makes me excited.

Reyngel
04-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Here's a question: how well do you think this album will do commercially?

SpFission
04-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Depends on the success of the first single

Nova
04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Damn watermarks. :mad: :mad: :mad:

pee pee colada
04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
i like that this is another departure from guitar driven rock type stuff. the fact that it is being compared a great deal to Adore makes me smile even more.

i think ill rpomise myself not to listen until the release date. that is quite a ways away. but i think it will be totally worth it. just what the doctor ordered.

mistle
04-20-2005, 03:01 AM

fuck yeah! that's what i wanna hear:)

mistle
04-20-2005, 03:10 AM
actually wait.. i want guitar stuff too:(

oh well i guess you can't have both..

smashing0
04-20-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Inkyoctopus19

With Teeth got leaked.it was 6 years between NIN albums
With Teeth got leaked a month before store release
it's about 2 months before TFE
...are we that much more impatient then NIN fans?

Fat Cop
04-20-2005, 06:57 AM
I agree with the sentiments on the 'Adore' resemblance.

Pheonix, can you comment on the album on a 'non-sp/billy fan' level,? What I mean is do you see the album being easy to get into for the casual listener?

Spaldz
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm really scared what it is going to sound like. I'm so worried it will be a let down, but maybe that will make it even better if it is good..

:(

azvd
04-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Phoenix, do you see any connection between TFE's electronic approach and that Bon Harris band previewed on Billy's MySpace blog? I mean, the fact that Harris was involved with the electronic tracks from Adore and in the whole TFE assemblance was a hint of what you confirmed in this thread.

/me likes the news.

Phoenix Down
04-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel
Here's a question: how well do you think this album will do commercially?

< msots

Phoenix Down
04-20-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cop
I agree with the sentiments on the 'Adore' resemblance.

Pheonix, can you comment on the album on a 'non-sp/billy fan' level,? What I mean is do you see the album being easy to get into for the casual listener?

it's not difficult in the sense of Kid A. the casual listener will probably have less problems getting into it than the real fan. also you don't have any 10+ minutes tracks.

ChristHimself!
04-20-2005, 07:51 AM
I've not been thinking about the album release all that much but this thread definitely has me excited.. Without really thinking about it, I had hoped that Billy would take things in the direction you've described.. a bit more electronic and focusing on the soundscape of things, because he's not explored that as much and I am sure he will be able to really sort it out.

'Dreaming' is one of my fave Pumpkins songs

Dreaming is a Blondie cover.

chris_bakewell
04-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I can't wait for this album, i'm gonna wait to purchase it out of a shop!

Pimpf
04-20-2005, 09:59 AM
Phoenix Down> The album has 12 tracks...how many minutes is it in length?

Phoenix Down
04-20-2005, 10:00 AM
45:33

Pimpf
04-20-2005, 10:09 AM
45:33 - 12 songs, pretty good!
thanks!

pee pee colada
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
thats < 4' per song. uh.

Pimpf
04-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I was afraid it was going to be shorter so...

Phoenix Down
04-20-2005, 10:34 AM
45: 33

it's a sine!!1

mistle
04-20-2005, 10:38 AM
i was afraid it was gonna be longer

strange_one
04-20-2005, 10:44 AM
<font color=33FFFF>the leak better have happened by this weekend. that's it. I've set the deadline</font>

chris_bakewell
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Word Life
<font color=33FFFF>the leak better have happened by this weekend. that's it. I've set the deadline</font>

I think you should wait and buy it instead!:)

Rockin' Cherub
04-20-2005, 12:12 PM
this somehow took some of my excitement :(

although it was basically what i expected. heavily electronic and better than msots.

dsheinem
04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
thanks for the great rundown. It makes me antsy.

pee pee colada
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
this somehow took some of my excitement:(

i read excitement as excrement.

FYI

Veni$
04-20-2005, 01:31 PM
does Fysche post here, or just the person who was talking to him

What makes U think Fysche (http://www.fysche.net) is a him?:p

tomthum81
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
venis...

i thought you were fysche? thats how i remember it at least

Woody
04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds

Dreaming is a Blondie cover.

Yeah but it's still a Pumpkins song. And the cover is much better than the original.

NilSineDeo
04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Veni$

What makes U think Fysche (http://www.fysche.net) is a him?:p

uh-whoops!

Veni$
04-20-2005, 02:51 PM
:p

ChristHimself!
04-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah but it's still a Pumpkins song.

by definition its a cover, a blondie song that the pumpkins covered.

Woody
04-20-2005, 04:02 PM
It is a song. It was perfomed by the Pumpkins.

It's a Pumpkin's song.

ChristHimself!
04-20-2005, 04:10 PM

It's a Pumpkin's song.

Just like that evanescence song Zero? oh right cool no probs.

Woody
04-20-2005, 04:14 PM
If Evanescence recorded their own version of Zero then it would be fine for an Evanescence fan to say Zero is one of their favorite Evanescence songs.

ChristHimself!
04-20-2005, 04:16 PM

It's a Pumpkin's song.

Evanescence performed zero, ergo, by your logic, it's an evanescence song.

Woody
04-20-2005, 04:36 PM
When I made that statement I wasn't aware you were about to bring live performances into the equation and of course Dreaming is a studio only track. Therefore by "performance" I was implying studio recording... however if that appears a flimsy excuse then I suggest that the issue of legitimacy in attributing a cover song to the cover band depends on the level of alteration the band makes over the original. The Pumpkins version is significantly different to the original that I believe it is valid to refer to it as a "Pumpkins Song" as much as a "Blondie Song" in the case of Evanescence this is less clear and I haven't heard their version but as I say I wouldn't have a problem with Evanescence fans referring to Zero as an Evanescence song. Unless I felt pedantic.

ChristHimself!
04-20-2005, 04:43 PM
i accept your apology.

now,

http://gallery.elvado.de/albums/structure/USER-RELATED/go%20away/normal_GetOffMyInternet-ba.jpg

Woody
04-20-2005, 04:45 PM
:lol:

I was fighting a losing battle.