View Full Version : What expectations do you have of TheFutureEmbrace?

jack_kerouac03
04-16-2005, 12:58 AM
This is the first record that I can think of where I don't have any expectations on how the record should sound, and to me it is really refreshing. From the interviews / hints / whatever the only thing that comes to mind is a sequel-in-spirit to Adore.

I was sort of let down with Machina, only because when the songs were played on the Arising! tour, they were heavier and more rocking, and that's how I expected the record to sound like.

Machina grew on me, while the Zwan record did not. The only stand out for me is Jesus / Mary. Seeing some of the small club shows and hearing the energy of the songs, it was a huge let down when I got the record. Bad tracklist and clipping aside, the songs sound stripped of emotion and remind me of a sanitized hostipal room.

I have really high hopes for the record and hope B0lly and Bjorn have done something different for the production.

SpFission
04-16-2005, 02:49 AM
trueee.

Fathoms (unadored)
04-16-2005, 03:04 AM
The hype and novelty of a new Corgan release usually gets me pretty engrossed with the product on the first few listens. With Machina and MSOTS I was really happy with both of them on the first few listens. Machina later went on to put me through polarizing swings of opinion ultimately landing in ambivalence, and eventually I had to admit to myself that MSOTS just isn't memorable or remarkable at all. If the trend continues you'll probably find me on here proclaiming TFE to be the greatest album of the decade on it's release date. But only the course of several weeks or months will I know for sure where the album fits inside my heart, if at all. It could be reminiscient of Adore which slowly made more and more sense too me as months went by until I eventually loved it and considered it worthy of the SP name.

As for the albums sound? I'm hoping for a change in direction. I know he has a wide variety of influences but at this stage in his career I think it's important not to let the wieght of the Pumpkins legacy to be to overbearing. I expect him to have come up with soemthing fresh, but not too alien or inaccessable. The lyrics dont' need to be spectacular so long as he crafts them into solid melodies (Lifes a bummer, anyone?). Let's hope the sonic structure makes sense musically because he does have the tendancy to overdo things...

Isle
04-16-2005, 04:17 AM
to be honest, i think we can expect machina-esque chugging saturated guitar lines and alot of synthesis. but since that cellist girl (emily autumn) mentioned that the album may have a baroque tinge, i would suspect that there are elements reminiscent of the secondary instrumentation on mellon collie (flute, cello, violin, piano, clavicord maybe). i haven't been impressed by the lyrical snippets we've been offered but i think billy's voice may try to recall the sensitivity of adore as opposed to his grating nasal howl on machina. actually i'd be willing to be on all this.

sweter33
04-16-2005, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Isle
we can expect machina-esque chugging saturated guitar lines and alot of synthesis.

that really sounds like you're talking about "The Imploding Voice"

Isle
04-16-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by sweter33

that really sounds like you're talking about "The Imploding Voice"

thats a prime example of what i had in mind

ZackZ
04-16-2005, 05:31 AM
No way any song sounds like Imploding Voice. That song was pretty "heavy", and from what recent reviews have said, the album is pretty mellow.

Besides all that, I still don't know what to expect. I trust no one's review but my own. For some reason I've been expecting this spectacular hard rock album ever since Billy said it was "rock" and not all acousticy bullshit. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but this is the point where I do trust the reviewers in their opinion on the overall feel of the album, which has not been hard rock.

Nova
04-16-2005, 09:22 AM
It has to be better than Mary Star of the Sea.

Anyway, I think it's going to be quite good, perhaps better than what we really think.

sweter33
04-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
No way any song sounds like Imploding Voice. That song was pretty "heavy", and from what recent reviews have said, the album is pretty mellow.

Besides all that, I still don't know what to expect. I trust no one's review but my own. For some reason I've been expecting this spectacular hard rock album ever since Billy said it was "rock" and not all acousticy bullshit. I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but this is the point where I do trust the reviewers in their opinion on the overall feel of the album, which has not been hard rock.

come on what can one say about an album after just one listen...? because that's what this "review" is based on...

like you said, there's no point in having any expectations just after reading somebody else's review or opinions

GlasgowKiss
04-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I expect a bit of token riffing and lots of experimentation with soundscapes to go with faggy poetic songs.

Rockin' Cherub
04-16-2005, 02:19 PM
i wrote him a message about what the album's gonna sound like and he answered:

the future embrace sounds like:
when you wake up in the morning and your head hurts, and you put your head against something cold, like a refrigerator, and you go "ahhh! that feels better..."
thats what it sounds like
bc

:erm

LOL what a weird man.

Phoenix Down
04-16-2005, 02:22 PM
heh cherub.

i reckon it's gonna sound like Archive's "You all look the same to me".

Karl Connor
04-16-2005, 06:38 PM
it'll be the next step in the direction machina put him in. mark my word

and to all of you who sincerely anticipate a pre-MCIS sound: leave here and go post on the billy-corgan.com forums.

vanilla
04-16-2005, 08:45 PM
didn't billy say a few months ago he was using some new type of equipment? i wonder how that's going to play into the sound of the album?

wHATcOLOR
04-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Randall Sandell
it'll be the next step in the direction machina put him in. mark my word

and to all of you who sincerely anticipate a pre-MCIS sound: leave here and go post on the billy-corgan.com forums.

word

Sapphire
04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
From all the reports I heard, it's not going to be anything special. Mind you, that's from the reports I've heard. Plays with the soundscape, strums a few lines, a few lines of poetry on how he's feeling; call it an album.

I'm just really digging riff-centered stuff right now, so maybe I'm not expecting anything big (not that it's going to be bad, just that it's not going to be big) from Billy. I mean, I just listened to Starla a few times today, and it's just :eek: He does everything in that song that many people try to get on a whole fucking album. I'm sure Billy's new stuff is going to sound nice, but I'm not sure it's the sound I'm looking for from Billy Corgan.

Regardless, it's going to be a good album.

pineapple*soul
04-16-2005, 10:13 PM
i've said all along its gonna be a cross between adore and machina, but the sonics will have advanced

and im looking forward to being proved right...

Travis_Wright
04-17-2005, 12:54 AM
i think they album will be the best album of the year, but undoubtedly will be overshadowed by some techincal flaw with the packaging that pisses off a billion noobs who can't figure out how to pop the cd out of the case .

that's a typical billy corgan album.. perfection overshadowed by idiots.

Rockin' Cherub
04-17-2005, 05:24 AM
it'll clip.

sweter33
04-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
From all the reports I heard, it's not going to be anything special. Mind you, that's from the reports I've heard. Plays with the soundscape, strums a few lines, a few lines of poetry on how he's feeling; call it an album.

Regardless, it's going to be a good album.

These are very pronounced statements. I don't think you can know these things just from some vague "reports". What is "nothing special" for one person can be exceptionally good for another. Even if I agree with you on this riff-centred thing.