View Full Version : concerning celebrity 'ethics' & the corgan "confessions"


Karl Connor
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
if you havent checked out the confessions then go ahead and do it now and read this later.

being a celebrity (and being involved with others that're famous) i think you have a certain responsibility to keep the intimate details of what goes on behind closed doors behind closed doors. this is why the tabloid industry thrives, because it's their job to dig up the dirt. but here he just up and dished it for us.

and yet, i dont think its the wrong thing to do. it seems- as corny as it sounds- he did it b/c he cares about the offending party and wants them to realize the consequences of disloyalty

Corganist
04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Randall Sandell

and yet, i dont think its the wrong thing to do. it seems- as corny as it sounds- he did it b/c he cares about the offending party and wants them to realize the consequences of disloyalty
I don't think his motives are really focused on the effects on others. I think the things he's revealing about the conduct of others are just an unfortunate consequence of his own desire to open up. If he's gonna be completely honest about his perceptions of events, then he's not really in much of a position to protect anyone (including himself). If he just wanted to smear people that crossed him, or somehow teach them a lesson, he could do better than these blog posts.

Fathoms (unadored)
04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
He hasn't gone too far yet though. By the way he admits to being/behaving it's not like James and D'arcy's behavior is all that shocking.

pineapple*soul
04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
He hasn't gone too far yet though. By the way he admits to being/behaving it's not like James and D'arcy's behavior is all that shocking.

yeah, you get the sense that james' (and maybe d'arcy's) behaviour is largely/partly a reaction to billy's own abrasiveness, and from the blogs, you get a sense that he knows it, or has started to know it. He may have been pissed at them then, but now he just seems sad that it came to the head that it did...

Fathoms (unadored)
04-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by pineapple*soul


yeah, you get the sense that james' (and maybe d'arcy's) behaviour is largely/partly a reaction to billy's own abrasiveness, and from the blogs, you get a sense that he knows it, or has started to know it. He may have been pissed at them then, but now he just seems sad that it came to the head that it did...

That, or if he keeps this up any longer we could be looking at a Kill Bill reality series.

pineapple*soul
04-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)


That, or if he keeps this up any longer we could be looking at a Kill Bill reality series.

all i can think of is billy in his long flowing leather machina dress brandishing a large samurai sword against millions of japanese jameses, its like a cross between the matrix and kill bill. but with the pumpkins!

The Omega Concern
04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
there's no rules to blogging, so who cares if print media gets lost in the shuffle.

Cherub Angel
04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree with the notion that if he really really wanted to smear them he could have done a better job. These posts seem very level headed.....he notes some of his own problems, coupled with some of their's......his reactions, etc. He seems to be atoning for his dysfunctional attitude during that time too....how he was really hurting some relationships around him.

The Omega Concern
04-15-2005, 08:24 PM
yes, any muse should be so fortunate to have those around them run as fast as the muse. James and Darcy and Jimmy could have kept up, but they didn't, and for the impractical reality of what could have been attained in SP, we all lose. Should Billy have slowed down? short answer: yes. he didn't...we all lost because maybe somewhere in James and Darcy's attitude was the right thing for the band...

i dunno...just idle speculation.

maybe Billy came to terms with that and said "oh well" with a heavy sigh..

Strange As Angels
04-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Well I think part of it is that he's just trying to come clean in a way. The band basically lied to the fans and the media about their stance on drug use after Jimmy was fired. It's like Billy is doing his own "Behind the Music" right now with the blogs.

Cherub Angel
04-16-2005, 03:28 AM
the thing I like about Billy's blog is that he is holding himself accountable for some of the madness.....not completely blaming other people. The historian side of me wants some other views within the band, but Billy's posts are fairly grounded. Not to mention, in many many articles on the band they allude to James and D'arcy stepping away or not caring about doing interviews and leaving it all up to Billy......Billy answering all the questions, etc. That's probably why his recent 'confessions' are so believable to us....they're fairly in line with what we know, they just go deeper.

teh b0lly!!1
04-16-2005, 07:47 AM
he said a few times before that he's simply tired of protecting people for their shit. if you read older interviews youll see how he avoids certain questions or implies the others' disloyalty although still being very vague ...
i think he's tired of feeling he has to hide from himself and the world for other people mischiefs and he just wants to come clean.
just as music is a form or catharsis and expression, those blogs are a different means to the same end.

Nova
04-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Billy still is, to a point, being pretty generic in his way of describing James and Darcy. As previously mentioned he could have really, really smeared them if he felt like it.

Originally posted by Randall Sandell
being a celebrity (and being involved with others that're famous) i think you have a certain responsibility to keep the intimate details of what goes on behind closed doors behind closed doors. this is why the tabloid industry thrives, because it's their job to dig up the dirt. but here he just up and dished it for us.

You're a celebrity? Who?

Cherub Angel
04-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Nova
Billy still is, to a point, being pretty generic in his way of describing James and Darcy. As previously mentioned he could have really, really smeared them if he felt like it.



I'll agree with that......yet to a degree, some things should be kept secret. I can see all of this as doing one thing "Alright, some of this was my doing.....but not completely. Stop blaming me for everything, I'm not the only one that screwed up."

Nova
04-16-2005, 10:33 AM
It certainly does reveal that James is less easy-going than I thought, and only makes me want to believe that he really was the one who wanted to put the Pumpkins to an end sooner than anyone else.

The Omega Concern
04-16-2005, 08:05 PM
i recently saw the 666 video which shows some of the working process during MCIS.

it was noticable to a friend and me that Billy was on an island, musically speaking. he does a riff, plays it out...silence...Billy would like to do something with it...?...silence again...and we're thinking, "where's James?".

it is MCIS, so, the band has been around a while and I figure maybe James gave up those musical battles over the course of time. But, truth is, I have no way to know if he ever did to begin with.

anyway, that kinda stuck out...to have the blogs reveal the history like this is fascinating because of how Billy is allowing us to see his intuition at work...with the backdrop of the public issues that arose because of it, in spite of it, having nothing to do with it, etc.

DeviousJ
04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Are you kidding? Compared to the way he was blaming people on his earlier blog in that saccharine :) :) :) way this is way more levelheaded and honest. I'm actually genuinely surprised by the whole thing, I haven't been interested at all in Billy's writing in the past few years but these confessions are really direct, well written and really engaging. It's completely free of the bullshit that turned me off his stuff in the first place, and as far as other people's privacy goes it seems that (so far) he's been very respectful and sensitive about why they were behaving the way they did in retrospect.

Cherub Angel
04-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
as far as other people's privacy goes it seems that (so far) he's been very respectful and sensitive about why they were behaving the way they did in retrospect.

we haven't gotten into a lot of it yet. what about his ex-wife? and Yelena? and god knows who else will pop up. When the overdose happened.....we're just getting a ton of back story right now [really good], but when the shit hits the fan I wonder what they'll be.