View Full Version : peer editing makes me feel good about myself.

Eulogy
04-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I feel like such a douche, but eh. I'm not gonna lie and say everything's awesome.

alisonmonster
04-13-2005, 11:51 PM
i once had to edit a seniors paper in highschool. I think he was Philipino , and his english was really bad. Well , badly written. It took me several hours to get through his short story (some soap opera type thing involving meadows and the sweeping off of feet ) and i probably made 60 grammatical corrections. Turned out the teacher just made him rewrite the whole damn thing. I didn't feel really good about myself , i just felt bad for him.

Eulogy
04-13-2005, 11:55 PM
yeah, I've made so many grammatical corrections.....this is the second paper I've read. I thought the first one was pretty bad, but this one takes the cake. Half of the sentences in it don't even make sense.

It is kind of sad.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
04-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't really like doing it in the journalism department. Half of the pieces are brilliantly written and intimidating to read, and the other half are impossible to get through because of the grammar and spelling errors.

neopryn
04-14-2005, 12:23 AM
it makes me feel awkward because i can never find anything wrong.

GlasgowKiss
04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Hey wait, Eulogy is actually smart?

meow
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
i love doing this... only because the people usually really appreciate their own work once it has been cleaned up

alexthestampede
04-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by alisonmonster
i once had to edit a seniors paper in highschool. I think he was Philipino , and his english was really bad. Well , badly written. It took me several hours to get through his short story (some soap opera type thing involving meadows and the sweeping off of feet ) and i probably made 60 grammatical corrections. Turned out the teacher just made him rewrite the whole damn thing. I didn't feel really good about myself , i just felt bad for him.

im always glad when it is a foreigner because noone that would be in a class with me could write worth shit and its nice to have an excuse

relaxor!
04-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Alternatively, peer editing makes me feel like shit about everyone else. These kids are getting into Harvard! And Stanford! Yaaaaaay! I'm so glad they can pay for the intelligence to get in!

Voice Implodes
04-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
I feel like such a douche, but eh. I'm not gonna lie and say everything's awesome.

it makes me feel the same way. that, and realizing i have so much better spelling, punctuation, and sentence construction skills than so many of those other people.

Eulogy
04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GlasgowKiss
Hey wait, Eulogy is actually smart?

by most people's standards, yes.

by most Netphorians' standards, no.

Eulogy
04-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Voice Implodes

it makes me feel the same way. that, and realizing i have so much better spelling, punctuation, and sentence construction skills than so many of those other people.

Well this was more of a....read and see if there is clear proof of the presented thesis. We weren't supposed to pay tons of attention to the spelling and grammar and whatnot. And this kid proved absolutely nothing in his 12-page paper. It was painful to read. And the way students use words that aren't heard very often in an attempt to sound intelligent really annoys me. Sometimes big words just don't fit.

meow
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM

by most people's standards, yes.

by most Netphorians' standards, no.

netphoria doesn't like book smarts.

Eulogy
04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by meow

netphoria doesn't like book smarts.

...but it's not as if I'm socially inept or lack common sense.

I'll admit that I'm sheltered and am probably pretty culturally ignorant. But I'm not dumb by any stretch of the imagination.

meow
04-14-2005, 05:54 PM

...but it's not as if I'm socially inept or lack common sense.

I'll admit that I'm sheltered and am probably pretty culturally ignorant. But I'm not dumb by any stretch of the imagination.

i think its just a fact of life that those who are jealous of what one has will put down that exact quality.

meow
04-14-2005, 05:55 PM
or will define it in a completely different light

Eulogy
04-14-2005, 05:55 PM

i think its just a fact of life that those who are jealous of what one has will put down that exact quality.

That's gotta be it.

Never Nohen
04-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah... I had to do a bunch of peer editing for a writing class I took, and it finally made it clear to me why I kept getting good grades on papers that I thought were really sloppy. It didn't really make me feel good about myself though, just frustrated that 1) kids can get out of high school, much less three years into college, writing like this and 2) that teachers don't have time to help me learn how to improve my writing because they have to focus so much energy on these kids who can't write for shit - despite the fact that most of them probably couldn't care less about becoming better writers, whereas I <i>really</i> want to and feel like I'm stuck in a place where I could use some outside guidance about how to do that.

I'm just thankful my boss is a really demanding editor. I've learned so much from her. I wish my teachers had been as demanding as she is for the past four years... But I realize they just don't get paid enough and have too many students to do that, which sucks.

I edit some of my friends' philosophy papers though, and I really enjoy doing that - because they're well written and intelligent enough to be interesting, but still need enough work to be challenging rather than just like, "What the <i>fuck</i>?" Kinda makes me look forward to being a teacher... (although I don't look forward to having to grade all the 'What the fuck' papers. I probably can't get away with only teaching smart kids who care, huh?)

Blah blah blah...

meow
04-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Never Nohen
1) kids can get out of high school, much less three years into college, writing like this

some of the papers i have edited for my friends... holy fuck. and these people are in 3rd and 4th year university.

it finally made it clear to me why I kept getting good grades on papers that I thought were really sloppy.

i think its just refreshing after reading a bunch of SHIT to read a paper that is actually coherant and it has flow

(although I don't look forward to having to grade all the 'What the fuck' papers. I probably can't get away with only teaching smart kids who care, huh?)

teach Advance Placement English ;)

Never Nohen
04-14-2005, 06:46 PM
teach Advance Placement English ;)

Heh. I wanna work at a university - and since those jobs are super competitive and I didn't go to an Ivy League or anything fancy, I'm probably going to end up somewhere kinda subpar. Which is no to say there aren't lots of smart kids at state schools and whatnot (or that the kids at Ivy Leagues are more likely to be smart than just dumb but rich) - just that there are also lots of kids who, for example, are only there to drink and ski. (Not that I'm bitter.)

Voice Implodes
04-14-2005, 06:47 PM

And the way students use words that aren't heard very often in an attempt to sound intelligent really annoys me. Sometimes big words just don't fit.

A-FUCKING-MEN!