View Full Version : Job Interview Questions


Never Nohen
04-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Hey, does anyone know:

1) When you write a thankyou note after a job interview, how soon should you send it and what sort of stuff should you say in it?

2) How soon after the interview are you supposed to call, in order to be enthusiastic/interested but not annoying?

Should you say in the thankyou note when/that you're going to call?

alexthestampede
04-13-2005, 09:00 AM
dont hire anyone that says upfront that they hate people :P

Never Nohen
04-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks alex...

Blue*Carbonite
04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
i'd feel weird writing a thank you note.
and call a week after.

meow
04-13-2005, 12:24 PM
immediately after the interview

just say 'dear soandso, thank you giving me the opportunity to meet me and let me show you a bit about my personality. I look foward to hearing from you'

itjust has to be simple

yo soy el mejor
04-13-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by alexthestampede
dont hire anyone that says upfront that they hate people :P
jerk.

meow
04-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by yo soy el mejor

jerk.

what if you are being hired for an administrative position at 'we hate people'

patrick
04-13-2005, 12:29 PM
thank you notes are worthless, don't bother.

if the position needs to be filled urgently, call in two days. if they're interviewing others and taking their time, five.

wHATcOLOR
04-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Never Nohen
Hey, does anyone know:

1) When you write a thankyou note after a job interview, how soon should you send it and what sort of stuff should you say in it?

2) How soon after the interview are you supposed to call, in order to be enthusiastic/interested but not annoying?

Should you say in the thankyou note when/that you're going to call?


write it soon, maybe send it the next day? keep it very short and to the point, just like three sentences or so. thank them for their time, say you enjoyed meeting with them/ excited learning about the opportunity. perhaps use one sentence to reinforce a strong point of the interview/how your skillset makes you a good match/value-add for the position.

don't bother saying you're going to call in the thank you note.

what kind of position is it?

wHATcOLOR
04-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by patrick
thank you notes are worthless, don't bother.

if the position needs to be filled urgently, call in two days. if they're interviewing others and taking their time, five.

i don't agree that they're pointless. they certainly won't get you the job, but it helps put a bit of punctuation on an already classy personality, if that's what came across in the interview. that's how i've felt when receiving them after interviewing people.

i agree with your timing more or less on the calling though

patrick
04-13-2005, 12:37 PM
well, my opinion may be a bit skewed, because the corporate structures i've worked for in the past (and my current one too) were much more relaxed, personal and less...soul-sucking, i guess.

but to me it just seems like you should do all of your impressing in the interview and in the interview only. a thank you note shows a lack of confidence in yourself. it's common sense that you should say you enjoyed meeting with them etc. at the end of the interview. for closure.

i don't know

meow
04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by patrick
a thank you note shows a lack of confidence in yourself.

i personally think it shows that you want the job andyou honestly appreciate the time that your potential employer has given up to meet with you. its easy to say thank you at the end of an interview... it takes a little bit of time and effort on your part to write and send a thank you letter... and that little extra effort could be the difference between you and another candidate for the job

meow
04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
nothing extra that you do is ever a waste of time

wHATcOLOR
04-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by patrick
well, my opinion may be a bit skewed, because the corporate structures i've worked for in the past (and my current one too) were much more relaxed, personal and less...soul-sucking, i guess.

but to me it just seems like you should do all of your impressing in the interview and in the interview only. a thank you note shows a lack of confidence in yourself. it's common sense that you should say you enjoyed meeting with them etc. at the end of the interview. for closure.

i don't know


it is acknowledging that they took time out of their schedule. you may argue that they 'have to spend the time to interview you anyways', but in my experiences, i've had to push other things out of the way to interview someone. it's just being courteous, and doesn't mean a lack of confidence.

but you're right in that it should not try to be interview v.2.0

make your points in the interview, and just very briefly acknowledge their time in the note. a thank you note, won't, and shouldn't try to, compensate for the interview

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
I would never write a thankyou note, and I wouldn't call for at least a week, and even then only if they'd said they should get back to me within a week.

imho I don't think writing a thankyou note helps sell yourself at all, that's what the interview is for...

Sam and Mike
04-13-2005, 01:19 PM
1. I always send (usually e-mail) my thank you notes the day after the interview. However, if during the interview, they requested a writing sample, references, or other information from me, I e-mail that to them, along with a thank you, the very same day. Thank you notes are absolutely necessary...it shows professionalism.

2. This always depends on the time frame given to you by the interviewer. The interviewer will usually tell you about the hiring process and how long before you should anticipate hearing from them again. If the interviewer does not offer this information, you should ask. ex. If the interviewer says "we will be doing first-round interviews for the next week" and I have not heard back from the interviewer in a week and half to 2 weeks (it always seems to take longer than they say it will), I go ahead and call or send an e-mail.

Sam and Mike
04-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Never Nohen


Should you say in the thankyou note when/that you're going to call?

No. I usually end the thank you note with something like "I look forward to continuing in the interview/hiring process".