View Full Version : Educate me about ecstacy

redbreegull
04-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Because I was just told in the Pumpkins thread it is less dangerous than heroin...which is the opposite of what I have ever been taught.

meow
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
its fun.

neopryn
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
aren't you like 15

redbreegull
04-12-2005, 09:24 PM
16. If I don't learn now I'll wind up taking it. So tell me all you know.

meow
04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
i did experience about a 10-15 minute bout of verbal aphasia which i completely attribute to my ecstacy use. It happened once after I had done it about 5 times in 3 months.

alisonmonster
04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
we should have a direct link to erowid on here. Post it right beside "your daily pumpkins fix"

meow
04-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by alisonmonster
we should have a direct link to erowid on here. Post it right beside "your daily pumpkins fix"

OMG PLZ TELL ME ABOUT HEROIN

mirrar
04-12-2005, 09:38 PM
heroin and e can both kill you. obviously, heroin is going straight into your veins so if you do it wrong or too much it's going to kill you a lot faster. e deaths are mostly attributed to weak hearts to begin with, or dehydration from not drinking water.

personally, i fucking love e. of what i've done it's been my favourite. it's a chemical, and if you're trying it you're taking a risk. drink a decent amount of water, try and know who you're getting it from (but regardless its probably cut with all sorts of shit), havr a friend around and have fun.

Deleted_User
04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
drink a decent amount of water, GATORADE

meow

personally, i fucking love e. of what i've done it's been my favourite. it's a chemical, and if you're trying it you're taking a risk. drink a decent amount of water, try and know who you're getting it from (but regardless its probably cut with all sorts of shit), havr a friend around and have fun.

great advice.

but don't get paranoid and drink too much water

meow
Originally posted by shorterplease
GATORADE

SHOULD I BUY BOTTLES OR MIX IT MYSELF WITH THE POWDER?

meow
04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
and don't try to eat anything. it really doesn't work for me when i try

Deleted_User
04-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by meow
don't drink too much water fucking GATORADE for chrissake.

meow
04-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by shorterplease
fucking GATORADE for chrissake.

SHOULD I BUY BOTTLES OR MIX IT MYSELF WITH THE POWDER?

twice
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
ecstacy has never caused a fatality: environmental attributes have always been missed when ecstacy related deaths occur. nikki was right about dehydration, however people have been careless enough to overdrink water as well.

i had a feeling a bunch of kids would jump on this shit once i read billy's entry.
:noway:

mirrar
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
and don't try to eat anything. it really doesn't work for me when i try except CANDY. OH GOOD GOD IT'S GOOD.

meow
04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
except CANDY. OH GOOD GOD IT'S GOOD.

i can't! its so NOT good!

i guess its because that one time i tried to eat pizza

mirrar
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by twice
ecstacy has never caused a fatality: environmental attributes have always been missed when ecstacy related deaths occur. nikki was right about dehydration, however people have been careless enough to overdrink water as well.

i had a feeling a bunch of kids would jump on this shit once i read billy's entry.
:noway: several here in 2000 or so. the most well known one, they stopped letting the kids at a party have water without paying for it, so technically the dehydration killed her, but she happened to be on e and thats why it did.

meow

?

twice
alllright.

twice
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM

?

http://www.livejournal.com/users/billycorgan/11418.html

Nimrod's Son
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Because I was just told in the Pumpkins thread it is less dangerous than heroin...which is the opposite of what I have ever been taught. who the fuck taught you it's worse than heroin?

do yourself a favor and never listen to them again

even if its your parents

in fact cut out your mom's uterus if it was her. i don't want her breeding anymore

note, this is not an endorsement of ecstacy

meow
04-12-2005, 09:49 PM

http://www.livejournal.com/users/billycorgan/11418.html

is that really him?

twice
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
i wouldn't know. but i'm convinced.

meow
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
i wouldn't know. but i'm convinced.

hmmm after he ragged on jimmy for doing drugs?

i know nothing

The Light
04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/intro.html

That's a link for a slideshow of what happens to neurons, serotonin levels and dopamine, for example, after ingesting the drug. Easy to follow, illustrated examples.

wHATcOLOR
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM

is that really him?

that's a site that is taking the blogs he's posting on his official site and on his myspace site for people to discuss or something... there's a few threads aobut it on the pumpkins board

neopryn
04-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
who the fuck taught you it's worse than heroin?

do yourself a favor and never listen to them again

even if its your parents

in fact cut out your mom's uterus if it was her. i don't want her breeding anymore

note, this is not an endorsement of ecstacy dude, it was on the pumpkins board

Geek USA
04-13-2005, 11:12 AM

:rofl:

exactly.

pink_ribbon_scars
04-13-2005, 11:19 AM
it is pathetic but when i was 15 or so and i read a QnA with D'arcy in Rolling Stone and she said smoking pot and watching Peter Sellers movies was one of the best things ever i thought "i should try this pot stuff"

she was right.

at least she never got me to try crack. :erm

neopryn
04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
or get limp implants

shudder

Geek USA
04-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
or get limp implants

shudder

:rofl:

meow
04-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars
it is pathetic but when i was 15 or so and i read a QnA with D'arcy in Rolling Stone and she said smoking pot and watching Peter Sellers movies was one of the best things ever i thought "i should try this pot stuff"

she was right.

at least she never got me to try crack. :erm

lol

Debaser
04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecstasy_%28drug%29

AndySlash
04-13-2005, 01:17 PM
except CANDY. OH GOOD GOD IT'S GOOD.

POP ROCKS! MMMMMMMMMM

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
it wastes your brain and its a waste of money. its dangerous. you are taking a pill that could be composed of anything. chances are against it but it could kill you. it throws away your inhibitions and leaves you extremely vulnerable. ecstacy is the drug of white suburban trash.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lovecraft
it wastes your brain and its a waste of money. its dangerous. you are taking a pill that could be composed of anything. chances are against it but it could kill you.

testing kit 4 u?

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_faq_testing_kits.shtml

it throws away your inhibitions and leaves you extremely vulnerable.

Isn't that alcohol?

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds

testing kit 4 u?

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_faq_testing_kits.shtml

Isn't that alcohol?

testing kit. its just more money to throw away more money. if you insist upon taking ecstacy than sure, do it safe. but it's still retarded.

and did i say anything good about alcohol?

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 02:02 PM

testing kit. its just more money to throw away more money. if you insist upon taking ecstacy than sure, do it safe. but it's still retarded.

and did i say anything good about alcohol?

oh, sorry.

http://www.linguap.blogger.com.br/straight_edge.jpg

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM

oh, sorry.

http://www.linguap.blogger.com.br/straight_edge.jpg

oh not quite. i drink occasionally, maybe twice a month and smoke pot very regularly and smoke a ton of cigarettes. and before you have anything to say about that i don't hold any dillusions that any of that stuff is 'good' and i wouldn't suggest to it to anyone... except pot.

most things are ok in moderation but a lot of things aren't worth the risk.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 02:35 PM
and what the hell is wrong with you? why are you defending ecstacy? jesus christ, you can take it and like it but don't you think its a little irresponsible to defend it? to say its ok? it can only hurt you. what's so good about it?

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Have you ever actually done e's?

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm not defending it, I'm just defending people's right to do it, and advocating that people read up on the facts instead of taking in the propaganda on it.

I've only done e's a handful of times, but I never had a bad experience because I was well informed.

I'd rather smoke dope or do shrooms, or the occassional acid personally.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm not defending it, I'm just defending people's right to do it, and advocating that people read up on the facts instead of taking in the propaganda on it.

I've only done e's a handful of times, but I never had a bad experience because I was well informed.

I'd rather smoke dope or do shrooms, or the occassional acid personally.

not every bad thing ever said about drugs is propaganda. i agree that people should have the right to do it. people should have the right to do anything that doesn't harm another person... but you still have to be an idiot to do E.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 02:52 PM
you still have to be an idiot to do E.

...in your opinion.

I think anyone who chooses to do any drug recreationally is fine as long as they don't develop a constant habit or let it interfere with their work/lifestyle.

granted, I do think people who do multiple e's are dumb, people who have like 20 e's over a weekend and whatnot, but then again so are people who hit 10 bongs a day.

at the end of the day it all comes down to moderation.

And not every bad thing said about drugs is propaganda, but most of the e argument is "ahh but it will affect you later in life" .. so will alcohol etc if you take too much.

A few e's over a few years has never been proven to do long term damage. However, lots of e's over short periods of time have.

not everything bad that's said about drugs is propaganda, but have you heard this before:

<i>You never see positive drugs stories on the news, do ya. Isn't that weird cos most of the experiences I've had on drugs, were rrreal fucking positive. Er. Who are these morons they're finding that's what I wanna know. I used to want to call the news, "Come over to our house! Watch Tommy, he's a pig, film him!" "Oink oink." "Hee hee, he's been doing that for hours. He's killing us. You getting all that?" You know what I mean. Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. "Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy." What a dick, fuck him! He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out. You don't see ducks lining up to catch elevators to fly South. They fly from the ground, you moron. Quit ruining it for everybody. He's a moron, he's dead, good. We lost a moron, fucking celebrate. Boy I just felt the world get lighter - we lost a moron. Put on the Hammer album, I'm ready to dance! [dances] "We lost a moron." I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out. Professional help is being sought.

How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstitions and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. "Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves." "Here's Tom with the weather.</i>

I think that is the case for a lot of drugs, you always hear the bad side of the story.

And I would never give my opinion on a drug without having done it myself, unless I have seen it ruin lives (ie. crack and heroin)

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 02:54 PM

...in your opinion.

I think anyone who chooses to do any drug recreationally is fine as long as they don't develop a constant habit or let it interfere with their work/lifestyle.

granted, I do think people who do multiple e's are dumb, people who have like 20 e's over a weekend and whatnot, but then again so are people who hit 10 bongs a day.

at the end of the day it all comes down to moderation.

And not every bad thing said about drugs is propaganda, but most of the e argument is "ahh but it will affect you later in life" .. so will alcohol etc if you take too much.

A few e's over a few years has never been proven to do long term damage. However, lots of e's over short periods of time have.

not everything bad that's said about drugs is propaganda, but have you heard this before:

<i>You never see positive drugs stories on the news, do ya. Isn't that weird cos most of the experiences I've had on drugs, were rrreal fucking positive. Er. Who are these morons they're finding that's what I wanna know. I used to want to call the news, "Come over to our house! Watch Tommy, he's a pig, film him!" "Oink oink." "Hee hee, he's been doing that for hours. He's killing us. You getting all that?" You know what I mean. Always that same LSD story, you've all seen it. "Young man on acid, thought he could fly, jumped out of a building. What a tragedy." What a dick, fuck him! He's an idiot. If he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? Check it out. You don't see ducks lining up to catch elevators to fly South. They fly from the ground, you moron. Quit ruining it for everybody. He's a moron, he's dead, good. We lost a moron, fucking celebrate. Boy I just felt the world get lighter - we lost a moron. Put on the Hammer album, I'm ready to dance! [dances] "We lost a moron." I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out. Professional help is being sought.

How about a positive LSD story? Wouldn't that be news-worthy, just the once? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstitions and lies? I think it would be news-worthy. "Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves." "Here's Tom with the weather.</i>

I think that is the case for a lot of drugs, you always hear the bad side of the story.

And I would never give my opinion on a drug without having done it myself, unless I have seen it ruin lives (ie. crack and heroin)

don't quote bill hicks at me. because like i said I FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU. but IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION ECSTACY IS FOR MINDLESS, THOUGHTLESS SUBURBAN WHITE TRASH WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN LISTEN TO BAD MUSIC AND ACT LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 02:57 PM
oh, and to answer your question. yes i have done ecstacy and yes i have seen it bring a very good friend of mine to the brink of death. i've seen girls reputations ruined because of ecstacy and people ruin relationships with friends and family because of ecstacy.

and somehow i still think people should have the right to do it. now let me think that E is for retards and i will continue to tell anyone who asks the same.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 03:01 PM
don't quote bill hicks at me. because like i said I FUCKING AGREE WITH YOU.

I'll quote the good Mr Hicks whenever I please thankyou very much, but good, you're doing well.

IN MY OWN HUMBLE OPINION ECSTACY IS FOR MINDLESS, THOUGHTLESS SUBURBAN WHITE TRASH WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN LISTEN TO BAD MUSIC AND ACT LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT.

Fair enough. But I've never listened to typical dance music and 'acted like an idiot' when I took pills.

It can be a very social drug, I've had a small amount and chilled with friends at home listening to the sort of music we normally listen to.

It is admittedly a cheap drug, cheap as in soulless. E is like a gift drug " here take this happy pill" whereas with acid or shrooms you have to 'go somewhere' in your head to reach the euphoria/bonding stage.

But it's still alright to do from time to time. And if you frequently smoke pot, then someone reading that on the net can easily pigeonhole you as the typical, stay at home, smelly, lazy, worthless, jobless stoner type.

I just feel that by generalising any drug in that way, you are only feeding that sort of stereotyping.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 03:03 PM
i have seen it bring a very good friend of mine to the brink of death. i've seen girls reputations ruined because of ecstacy and people ruin relationships with friends and family because of ecstacy.

Again, the key being responsible usage and moderation.

I'm outta here, I'm building a website about amsterdam where I'm going to get STONED OUT MY TITS!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 03:08 PM

I just feel that by generalising any drug in that way, you are only feeding that sort of stereotyping.

its just that the thing with ecstacy is that its man made. i smoke pot and i've done shrooms a few times. i don't mean to sound like a hippie because i really dislike hippies but that stuffs part of the earth. it's natural. it doesn't need to be processed in any way.

but stuff like E, LSD (although i did have a couple very good experiences on acid), and cocaine. anything that has to go through man's hands before it can be used... it isn't right. just too many risks.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 03:12 PM
stuff like E, LSD (although i did have a couple very good experiences on acid), and cocaine. anything that has to go through man's hands before it can be used... it isn't right. just too many risks.

I feel you <3

Like I say I'm not a big fan myself, and I'm not a cocaine person at all.

I think I've done e maybe 6-8 times ever, and never more than two in an evening. Scratch that I did 2 1/2 one evening.

In general I agree though, I'd rather stick with natural drugs any day.

Apart from acid. I will never regret doing acid.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 03:16 PM

Apart from acid. I will never regret doing acid.

same here. i haven't done it in years and will more than likely never do it again... but there have been 3 or 4 acid trips that have just completely blown my mind... but there have also been a couple times where i've picked it up, dropped it, and ended up feeling kinda tired and crappy, and who knows what was in that shit...

mirrar
04-13-2005, 03:19 PM
oh fine, this thread is need of some pro chemical people i guess. e is anything but souless. e has made me realize some things that i never thought i would, and connected me deeper to people i already cared about. i've always been an optimistic person, but since i did a large amount of e i've had this permanent sense of peace, and all i need to do is think back to a moment and i'm tingling all over. of course this isn't everyones experience, but it's mine and others i know.

i dont know if it has been raised, but MDMA has been used sucessfully to treat depression. it's this aversion to anything man made that makes me angry. most medicine is man made. almost all processed food is man made. car and computers and phones and everything we use everyday? man made. you can't draw lines around drugs just because one happens to grow in the ground. so opiums okay and heroin is not? come on. your experience and opinions are going to differ, but try not to pass values around things you've never experienced.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 03:25 PM
oh fine, this thread is need of some pro chemical people i guess. e is anything but souless. e has made me realize some things that i never thought i would, and connected me deeper to people i already cared about. i've always been an optimistic person, but since i did a large amount of e i've had this permanent sense of peace, and all i need to do is think back to a moment and i'm tingling all over. of course this isn't everyones experience, but it's mine and others i know.

i dont know if it has been raised, but MDMA has been used sucessfully to treat depression. it's this aversion to anything man made that makes me angry. most medicine is man made. almost all processed food is man made. car and computers and phones and everything we use everyday? man made. you can't draw lines around drugs just because one happens to grow in the ground. so opiums okay and heroin is not? come on. your experience and opinions are going to differ, but try not to pass values around things you've never experienced.

in need of pro chemical people. jesus christ. serioulsy, where's all the fucking junkies when you need them?

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Mirror Untrue, I take it some of your comments were directed towards me so I'll quickly reply before I have to fuck off!

E is soulless, in my opinion, in the aspect that if you take it you are guaranteed to be happy.

That's <b>not</b> saying it can't be a completely lifechanging euphoric experience, but you still take it and are bound to feel happy and 'loved up' on it, so it's not as pure and beautiful to me as taking a psychedelic and working through things in your head to reach that stage.

I don't have a blind hated of man made substances, it's just my personal preference. I will avoid taking any paracetamol type substances if I can because your body has developed to cope with headaches etc.

When I mentioned heroin and crack, if you mean me, I didn't mean 'opiums fine'

all i meant was that I won't pass my own personal judgement on a drug unless i've seen it ruin lives, which I won't, but I've seen people whose lives have been ruined by drugs, those drugs namely being heroin and crack.

And I've done e's and had real nepal temple ball laced with opium from hong kong (which was the shiznit, but I wouldn't want to get into doing it frequently) so I am speaking from experience.

I'm not debating though, and I want to meet you in amsterdam next year and share big fuckoff spliffs with you <3 <3

mirrar
04-13-2005, 03:27 PM

in need of pro chemical people. jesus christ. serioulsy, where's all the fucking junkies when you need them? thanks for passing a judgement on me dude! i haven't touched a chemical since january. what a big fucking junkie i am, huh?

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
thanks for passing a judgement on me dude! i haven't touched a chemical since january. what a big fucking junkie i am, huh?

its one thing to go about your business and take your drugs and do whatever it is you do. but i think there is something morally wrong with telling someone who is ignorant about E that it is OK, and that's whether you enjoy E or not.

mirrar
04-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Mirror Untrue, I take it some of your comments were directed towards me so I'll quickly reply before I have to fuck off!

E is soulless, in my opinion, in the aspect that if you take it you are guaranteed to be happy.

That's <b>not</b> saying it can't be a completely lifechanging euphoric experience, but you still take it and are bound to feel happy and 'loved up' on it, so it's not as pure and beautiful to me as taking a psychedelic and working through things in your head to reach that stage.

I don't have a blind hated of man made substances, it's just my personal preference. I will avoid taking any paracetamol type substances if I can because your body has developed to cope with headaches etc.

When I mentioned heroin and crack, if you mean me, I didn't mean 'opiums fine'

all i meant was that I won't pass my own personal judgement on a drug unless i've seen it ruin lives, which I won't, but I've seen people whose lives have been ruined by drugs, those drugs namely being heroin and crack.

And I've done e's and had real nepal temple ball laced with opium from hong kong (which was the shiznit, but I wouldn't want to get into doing it frequently) so I am speaking from experience.

I'm not debating though, and I want to meet you in amsterdam next year and share big fuckoff spliffs with you <3 <3 actually, e is more responsive to a persons mood than people think. i think most people are in a good mood when they take e because they expect to be happy, and of course it plays out that way. however, if you take e when you're depressed or worried about something, you can very well have a bad trip. my friend was so worried my ex wouldn't come get us at this party once that she dosed and just wandered around bitching and freaking out all night. not happy at all. of course, it does mask those effects for a lot of people, but i'm of the view that humans worry about a lot of petty things, and sometimes an artificial push to forget those things for a time and focus on the positive is a great thing, as long as, of course, you don't keep dosing and dosing and don't deal with those issues ever.

i wasn't referring to you having a blind hatred for them, it was more the other random newbie being a shit stirrer with the most tired of arguments.

i dig you, paul, and your views are pretty congruent with mine for the most part. and we'll definately hang and smoke out next year :)

mirrar
04-13-2005, 03:34 PM

its one thing to go about your business and take your drugs and do whatever it is you do. but i think there is something morally wrong with telling someone who is ignorant about E that it is OK, and that's whether you enjoy E or not. i'm not telling ignorant people to take e. i'm saying that in my own view, it can be a good experience. i don't believe anyone on here is gullible enough to take a drug because someone on the internet said it was groovy. and if you do, you're probably deserving of any adverse consequences.

Lovecraft
04-13-2005, 03:36 PM
i'm not telling ignorant people to take e. i'm saying that in my own view, it can be a good experience. i don't believe anyone on here is gullible enough to take a drug because someone on the internet said it was groovy. and if you do, you're probably deserving of any adverse consequences.

"e has made me realize some things that i never thought i would, and connected me deeper to people i already cared about. i've always been an optimistic person, but since i did a large amount of e i've had this permanent sense of peace, and all i need to do is think back to a moment and i'm tingling all over."

fuck you.

mirrar
04-13-2005, 04:06 PM

"e has made me realize some things that i never thought i would, and connected me deeper to people i already cared about. i've always been an optimistic person, but since i did a large amount of e i've had this permanent sense of peace, and all i need to do is think back to a moment and i'm tingling all over."

fuck you. oh man you sure showed me! guess i'm a horrible person for liking something you think is bad. goddamn.

meow
04-13-2005, 05:09 PM

fuck you.

She is letting whomever is interested know about her personal experiences with the drug. If you go to Erowid, they do the exact same thing in order for your to judge whether or not you want to take the drug based on other's experiences.

I personally have had awesome experiences on the drug. My boyfriend, on the other hand, refuses to touch the stuff based on an experience he had.

I know a lot of people that hate the effects of pot... but is that a reason not to smoke it?

it is all a matter of if you feel you are fit to take the drug... and how do you determine this? by finding out what it does to your body/brain, its effects/side effects and TALKING TO PEOPLE THAT HAVE DONE IT.

ChristHimself!
04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
i dig you, paul, and your views are pretty congruent with mine for the most part. and we'll definately hang and smoke out next year :)

Sometimes, on netphoria, when the planets are in alignment, it's almost like you can feel the love <3

mirrar
04-13-2005, 06:30 PM

Sometimes, on netphoria, when the planets are in alignment, it's almost like you can feel the love <3 i know eh? it's pretty fucking awesome.

and kim-yeah, thats what i'm saying.

Mayfuck
04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
e has made me realize some things that i never thought i would, and connected me deeper to people i already cared about

i find this kinda sad and cheap actually :/

Nimrod's Son
04-13-2005, 07:53 PM
man you make one negative comment about corgan on livejournal and everyone freaks

mirrar
04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

i find this kinda sad and cheap actually :/ why? it was feelings i already had, they just grew more intensified with drug use. if it was something that was never there i can see the sad/cheapness but i think it's amazing how they build on what it already there and encourage you to dig deeper.

keebs
04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
i did experience about a 10-15 minute bout of verbal aphasia which i completely attribute to my ecstacy use. It happened once after I had done it about 5 times in 3 months.

i took a lot more than that and developed aphasia for a year. it was awesome. i think it is has come back to me though as i can be pretty articulate on demand.

it is NOT more dangerous than heroin. god, it really scares me people who might be trying these things don't know that.
www.erowid.org is your friend.

i do think MDMA can be amazingly productive. personally, i came to a peace with a situation in my life that was overwhelming me at the time. i have never met my father...nor does he know i exist. this *fucked* with me for a large portion of my life. after the first time i rolled, i came so some conclusions (which i will keep to myself) that gave me peace with it.

it also brought one friend and i very close together. i don't see her much, but i never miss a beat with her when i see every year or so 'cause of the things we talked about when we were rolling.

im not sayings it for everybody, good for your body, etc...but personally, it has showed me the world differently (better) than i had ever seen it before.

i hope this helps. be safe.

The Light
04-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

i find this kinda sad and cheap actually :/ You know, just from my personal expereinces with E (helluvalot ;)), I'd have to agree.

Those increased bonds and realizations eventually fade and beocme very, very empty.

keebs
04-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by The Light
You know, just from my personal expereinces with E (helluvalot ;)), I'd have to agree.

Those increased bonds and realizations eventually fade and beocme very, very empty.

this statement has that "well, it happened to me, so it happens to everybody" attitude. godda love that shit.

noir cat
04-13-2005, 08:59 PM
I haven't taken ecstacy for YEARS. Ohhh, shit, I could use some. But um. I've sworn off it. 3 years.

mirrar
04-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by The Light
You know, just from my personal expereinces with E (helluvalot ;)), I'd have to agree.

Those increased bonds and realizations eventually fade and beocme very, very empty. it all depends on the person. i'm already pretty fucking weird, so it's not surprising that drugs effect me in different ways. but i know i'm not alone in this.

Douche Chill
04-14-2005, 12:37 AM
its a good thing i just found out that e can kill you if you have a weak heart.

because now i'm going to do it so i die

Lovecraft
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
e is for losers. its a losers drug. sorry.

and about pot... i don't know anyone, anyone, who's lived a long, healthy live using E regularly... pot on the other hand...

anyone who would even think of comparing pot to e is out of their fucking minds.

blackfaerie
04-14-2005, 09:05 AM
ecstacy is the drug of white suburban trash.

i love being white suburban trash. it makes me feel hot.

blackfaerie
04-14-2005, 09:06 AM
i'm sad that i missed out on this wonderful little arguement. oh wait, i just took a pill. nevermind.

MrPantyFAce
04-14-2005, 09:09 AM
e

Lovecraft
04-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by blackfaerie

i love being white suburban trash. it makes me feel hot.

and E makes you feel happy. it doesn't mean you really are. if you really were why on earth would you need that disgusting drug? it's man made for christs sake. and tell me what's so great about man?

blackfaerie
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM

and E makes you feel happy. it doesn't mean you really are. if you really were why on earth would you need that disgusting drug? it's man made for christs sake. and tell me what's so great about man?

first off, i don't enjoy natural drugs. like pot? can't stand it. at all. i love me some synthetics such as acid, e, and a little something called AMT. secondly, not only do i enjoy the happy effects of a pill, i also enjoy the enhancing effects it can give me in certain situations.

i don't take enough pills in one sitting to the point where i'm so fucked up i do the fisheye. nooo... i'll take one or two and just let it smooth out all the rough edges. there's a big difference. and it's usually not fake happiness. e emphasizes all the feelings that you're having in a situation. if you're slightly sad, you cry, if you're happy, you grin, if you're angry, you yell. the only reason you're so happy is because you're usually in a situation that makes you happy. i had to sit in a car with someone for almost an hour while she cried on the phone with her boyfriend after she took a pill. so don't try and lecture a pillhead on the ups and downs of her favorite pill. pfft.

meow
04-14-2005, 10:48 AM

anyone who would even think of comparing pot to e is out of their fucking minds.

you just did.

Nimrod's Son
04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
tell me what's so great about man?
1) The Telephone
The telephone is an instrument that converts voice and sound signals into electrical impulses for transmission by wire to a different location, where another telephone receives the electrical impulses and turns them back into recognizable sounds. In 1875, Alexander Graham Bell built the first telephone that transmitted electrically the human voice.
2) The History of Computers
There are many major milestones in the history of computers, starting with 1936, when Konrad Zuse built the first freely programmable computer.
3) Television
In 1884, Paul Nipkow sent images over wires using a rotating metal disk technology with 18 lines of resolution. Television then evolved along two paths, mechanical based on Nipkow's rotating disks, and electronic based on the cathode ray tube. American Charles Jenkins and Scotsman John Baird followed the mechanical model while Philo Farnsworth, working independently in San Francisco, and Russian émigré Vladimir Zworkin, working for Westinghouse and later RCA, advanced the electronic model.
4) The Automobile
In 1769, the very first self-propelled road vehicle was invented by French mechanic, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot. However, it was a steam-powered model. In 1885, Karl Benz designed and built the world's first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine. In 1885, Gottlieb Daimler took the internal combustion engine a step further and patented what is generally recognized as the prototype of the modern gas engine and later built the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle.
5) The Cotton Gin
Eli Whitney patented the cotton gin on March 14, 1794. The cotton gin is a machine that separates seeds, hulls and other unwanted materials from cotton after it has been picked.
6) The Camera
In 1814, Joseph Nicéphore Niépce created the first photographic image with a camera obscura, however, the image required eight hours of light exposure and later faded. Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre is considered the inventor of the first practical process of photography in 1837.
7) The Steam Engine
Thomas Savery was an English military engineer and inventor who in 1698, patented the first crude steam engine. Thomas Newcomen invented the atmospheric steam engine in 1712. James Watt improved Newcomen's design and invented what is considered the first modern steam engine in 1765.
8) The Sewing Machine
The first functional sewing machine was invented by the French tailor, Barthelemy Thimonnier, in 1830. In 1834, Walter Hunt built America's first (somewhat) successful sewing machine. Elias Howe patented the first lockstitch sewing machine in 1846. Isaac Singer invented the up-and-down motion mechanism. In 1857, James Gibbs patented the first chain-stitch single-thread sewing machine. Helen Augusta Blanchard patented the first zig-zag stitch machine in 1873.
9) The Light Bulb
Contrary to popular belief, Thomas Alva Edison didn't "invent" the light bulb, but rather he improved upon a 50-year-old idea. In 1809, Humphry Davy, an English chemist, invented the first electric light. In 1878, Sir Joseph Wilson Swan, an English physicist, was the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic lightbulb (13.5 hours) with a carbon fiber filament. In 1879, Thomas Alva Edison invented a carbon filament that burned for forty hours.
10) Penicillin
Penicillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming in 1928. Andrew Moyer patented the first method of industrial production of penicillin in 1948.
Adhesives/Glue
Around 1750, the first glue patent was issued in Britain for a glue made from fish.

Adhesives Tape
Scotch Tape oe cellophane tape was invented in 1930 by banjo playing 3M engineer Richard Drew.

Aerosol Spray Cans
The concept of an aerosol originated as early as 1790.

Aibo
Aibo - the robotic pet.

Air Bags
In 1973, the General Motors research team invented the first car safety air bags that were first offered in the 1973 model Chevrolet as an option

Air Brakes
George Westinghouse invented air brakes in 1868.

Air Ships
The history behind balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Agriculture
Learn the hsitory behind agriculture innovations, tractors, cotton gins, reapers, plows, plant patents and more.

Air Bags
The history of automotive air bags.

Air Conditioning
Willis Carrier brought us the comfort zone with air conditioning.

Airplane/Aviation - Aeroplane
Wilbur and Orville Wright invented the airplane, which they patented as a "flying machine." Learn about other aviation related innovations including the history of seaplanes, flight suits, anti-gravity suits, ejection seats, airports and different airlines.

Alternating Current
Charles Proteus Steinmetz developed theories on alternating current that allowed for the rapid expansion of the electric power industry.

Alternative Energy
A list of articles related to the invention and the history of alternative, earth-friendly energy sources.

Altimeter
An instrument which measures vertical distance with respect to a reference level.

Aluminum Foil
The first mass-produced and widely used metal foil was made from tin. Tin foil was replaced by aluminum foil in 1910.

Aluminum Manufacturing Process
Charles Martin Hall discovered the electrolytic method of producing aluminum cheaply and brought the metal into wide commercial use.

Ambulance History
The concept of ambulance service started in Europe with the Knights of St. John.

Anemometer
In 1450, Leon Battista Alberti, the Italian artist and architect, invented the first mechanical anemometer. The anemometer is a device that measures wind speed.

Answering Machines
The history of answering machines.

Antiseptics
History of and key figures.

Apple Computers
The Apple Lisa was the first home computer with a GUI or graphical user interface. Learn about the history of the Apple Macintosh, the most famous Apple home computer.

Aqualung
The history of Scuba or diving equipment.

Arc Transmitter
Danish engineer, Valdemar Poulsen invented the arc transmitter in 1902. The arc transmitter, contrary to all previous types of radio transmitters in history, generated continuous radio waves.

Archimedes Screw
An archimedes screw is a machine for raising water, invented by the ancient Greek scientist and mathematician Archimedes.

Assembly Line
Eli Olds invented the basic concept of the assembly line and Henry Ford improved it.

Artificial Heart
Willem Kolff invented both the first artificial heart and the first artificial kidney dialysis machine. Read about the history of artificial hearts.

Asphalt
The history of roads, road building and asphalt.

History of Aspirin
In 1829, scientists discovered that it was the compound called salicin in willow plants, which is responsible for pain relief. But it was father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, who first discovered the pain relieving properties of the willow plant in the 5th century, B.C.

AstroTurf
James Faria and Robert Wright of Monsanto Industries co-invented AstroTurf in 1965.

Atari Computers
The history of the entertaining game computer.

ATM - Automatic Teller Machines
The history of automated teller machines (ATM).

Atomic Bomb
In 1939, Einstein and several other scientists told Roosevelt of efforts in Nazi Germany to build an atomic bomb. It was shortly thereafter that the United States Government began the Manhattan Project, whose research produced the first atomic bomb.

Audio Tape Recording
Marvin Camras invented the method and means of magnetic recording. The history of sound recording.

Automated Electrified Monorail Systems
Ronald Riley invented the automated electrified monorail system.

Automatic Doors
Dee Horton and Lew Hewitt invented the sliding automatic door in 1954.

Automobile
The history of the automobile spans over one hundred years -- the famous early car models, view timelines of automotive development and discover who made the first gasoline powered car.

Baby Carriage
The history of the baby carriage or stroller.

Bakelite
Leo Hendrik Baekeland patented a "Method of Making Insoluble Products of Phenol and Formaldehyde." Setting out to make an insulator, he invented the first true plastic and transformed the world.

Ball Point Pens
The ball-point pen was invented by Ladislo Biro in 1938. A patent battle erupted; learn how Parker and Bic won the war.

Ballistic Missile
A ballistic missile can be any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Balloons/Blimps
The history and patents behind airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Balloons (Toy)
The first rubber balloons were made in 1824 by Professor Michael Faraday for use in his experiments with hydrogen.

Band-Aid
Band-Aid® is the trademarked name for the 1920 invention belonging to Earle Dickson.

Bar Codes
The first patents for bar code were issued to Joseph Woodland and Bernard Silver on October 7, 1952.

Barbed Wire
Don't fence me in -- all about the invention, development, and use of barbed wire.

Barbie Doll
The Barbie doll was invented in 1959 by Ruth Handler.

Barometer
The barometer was invented by Evangelista Torricelli in 1643.

Baseball/Baseball Equipment
Baseball was invented by Alexander Cartwright. The history of baseball bats.

BASIC
BASIC (Beginner's All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was invented in 1964 by John Kemeny and Tom Kurtz.

Basketball
James Naismith invented and named the game of basketball in 1891.

Bathroom Related Innovations
The history of ancient and modern plumbing from around the world - baths, toilets, water closets and sewage systems.

Battery
2000 was the 201th anniversary of the invention of the battery by Alessandro Volta.

Beauty Innovations
The history of hair dryers, ironing curlers and other beauty appliances. The history of cosmetics and hair products.

Beds
The history of waterbeds, murphy beds and other kinds of beds. Lie down and read about the patents and ihistory behind beds.

Beer
We can trace the beginning of beer far back beyond the dawn of recorded time. Apparently, beer was the first alcoholic beverage known to civilization.

Blenders
Stephen Poplawski invented the kitchen blender.

Bic Pens
Learn about the history of Bic pens and other writing instruments.

Bicycle
The history of that foot-powered riding machine.

Bifocals
Eye glasses that see near and far.

Bikini
The bikini was invented in 1946 and named after the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the site of the first atomic bomb testing. The designers of the bikini were two Frenchmen named Jacques Heim and Louis Reard.

Bingo
"Bingo" originated from a game called Beano.

Biofilters/Biofiltration
The first proposition to use biological methods to treat odorous compounds came as early as 1923.

Blood Bank
Dr. Charles Richard Drew was the first person to develop the blood bank.

Blue Jeans
Levi Strauss invented blue jeans.

Board Games
Puzzle over the history of board games and other brain teasers.

Boilers
Babcock and Wilcox co-invented the water tube steam boiler, a safer and more efficient boiler.

Boomerang
The history of the boomerang and complete instructions on how to make your own.

Bourdon Tube Pressure Gauge
In 1849, the Bourdon tube pressure gauge was patented by Eugene Bourdon.

Bra
It's 1913 and Mary Phelps Jacob's corset was not the undergarment to wear under her new shear evening gown.

Braces - Dental
The history of dental braces or the science of Orthodontics is complex, many different patents helped to create braces as we know them today.

Braille
Louis Braille invented braille printing.

Brush - Hair
Brushes were used as early as 2,500,000 years ago.

Bubble Gum
The invention and history of chewing gum, bubble gum, gum wrappers, gum tins and bubble gum machines.

Cabbage Patch Kids
In 1976, Xavier Roberts invented 'Little Person' dolls, the first Cabbage Patch Kids.

Calendars/Clocks
Learn about the invention of early clocks, calendars, the quartz watch, timekeeping devices and the science of time.

Calcium Carbide Process
Thomas Leopold Willson invented a process for Calcium Carbide.

Calculators
Timelines covering calculator patents since 1917. Learn about the history of Texas Instruments, the origins of the electronic calculator, the hand-held calculator and more.

Camera
The history of the camera - Camera Obscura, photography, the significant processes of photography, and who invented the polaroid and photographic film.

Can/Can Opener
A timeline of tin cans - learn how cans are made, filled and recycled. The history of the first can opener.

Candy
The history of candy.

Carborundum
Edward Goodrich Acheson invented carborundum. Carborundum is the hardest man-made surface and was needed to bring about the industrial age.

Card Games
The history of playing cards and card games like Uno.

Cardiac Pacemaker
Wilson Greatbatch invented an implantable cardiac pacemaker. Study the history of other cardiac devices.

Cars
The history of the automobile covers over one hundred years -- learn about the patents and famous car models, view timelines or read about the first gasoline powered car.

Carousels
The interesting history behind the carousel and other circus and theme park innovations.

Cash Register
James Ritty invented what was nicknamed the "Incorruptible Cashier" or the cash register.

Cassette Tape
In 1963, the Philips company became the first company to demonstrate the compact audio cassette.

Cat Eyes
Percy Shaw patented his road-safety invention called cat eyes, in 1934 when he was only 23.

Catheter
Thomas Fogarty invented the embolectomy balloon catheter. Betty Rozier and Lisa Vallino co-invented the intravenous catheter shield. Ingemar Henry Lundquist invented the over the wire balloon catheter that is used in the majority of angioplasty procedures in the world.

Cathode Ray Tube
Electronic television is based on the invention of the cathode ray tube, which is the picture tube found in modern television sets.

CAT-Scans
Robert Ledley invented "diagnostic X-Ray systems", known as CAT-Scans.

CCD
George Smith and Willard Boyle received a patent for Charge-Coupled Devices or CCDs.

Cellular Phones/Cell Phones
How the FCC slowed the progress of a cellular phone system.

Cellophane
Cellophane was invented by Jacques Brandenberger in 1908.

Chain Saw
The history behind the humble chain saw.

Chapstick
The history of chapstick - who invented chapstick and is it addictive?

The History of Cheerleading
Pompoms and the history of cheerleading innovations.

Cheese in a Can
The history of "Cheese in a Can".

Cheese Slicer
The cheese-slicer is a Norwegian invention.

Chewing Gum
The history of chewing gum and bubble gum.

Chia Pet
Animal figurines have been designed which have live herbs that simulate the fur or hair of a particular animal.

Chinese Inventions
Learn about ancient Chinese technology and the history of Chinese inventions. Find lesson plans for teachers. Learn about the kite, chopsticks, umbrellas, gunpowder, firecrackers, the steelyard, abacus, cloisonné, ceramics, papermaking and more.

Chocolate
The history behind chocolate, chocolate bars and chocolate chip cookies.

Christmas Related Inventions
The history of candy canes, Christmas lights and Christmas trees.

Cigarettes/Cigarette Lighters
This history of tobacco related products.

Clocks
Learn about the invention of early clocks, calendars, the quartz watch, timekeeping devices and time measurement.

Cloning
Reproductive and therapeutic.

Closed Captioning
Television closed captions are captions that are hidden in the television video signal, invisible without a special decoder.

Clothing Innovations
The history of our clothes - blue jeans, the bikini, the tuxedo, fabrics, fasteners and more.

Coat Hangers
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869 by O. A. North.

Coca-Cola
"Coca-Cola" was invented by Dr. John Pemberton in 1886.

Cochlear Implants - Bionic Ear
The cochlear implant is a prosthetic replacement for the inner ear or cochlea.

Coffee
The history of the cultivation of coffee and innovations in brewing methods.

Cold Fusion Energy
Viktor Schauberger was the "father of cold fusion energy" and the designer of the first non-energy consuming "flying disc".

Color Television
Color television was by no means a new idea, a German patent in 1904 contained the earliest proposal - RCA color television system - Living Color.

Combustion Engine
History of the internal combustion engine.

Combustion Engine - Diesel
Rudolf Diesel was the father of the "diesel-fueled" internal combustion engine or diesel engine.

Comics
The history of comics.

Communication
History, timeline, and innovations.

Compact Disk
James Russell invented the compact disc in 1965. Russell was granted a total of 22 patents for various elements of his system.

Compass
The history of the magnetic compass, gyroscope compass, and the biography of Elmer Sperry.

Computers
An index to famous persons in the computer business, over twenty-six fully illustrated features cover the history of computers from 1936 until today.

Computer Keyboard
The invention of the modern computer keyboard began with the invention of the typewriter.

Computer Peripherals
Compact disks, the computer mouse, computer memory, disk drives, printers and other peripherals are discussed.

Computer Printers
The history of printers used with computers.

Computer Games
This history is more fun than a joy stick. Steve Russell invented the computer game called "SpaceWar." Nolan Bushnell invented the game called "Pong."

Computerized Banking
ERMA began as a project for the Bank of America in an effort to computerize the banking industry.

Concrete
Concrete was invented by Joseph Monier.

Construction Materials
The history of construction and building materials.

Contact Lenses
See the history of eyeglasses come alive - from the oldest known glass lens to modern contact lenses.

Cookies (Chocolate Chip, Fig Newton)
Enjoy some snack food history - learn how the Fig Newton got named.

Cordite
Sir James Dewar was the co-inventor of cordite, a smokeless gunpowder.

Corkscrews
Our illustrated history of cork extractors explains the origins of this humble invention, found in households all over the world.

Corn Flakes
The kooky history of Corn Flakes.

Cortisone
Percy Lavon Julian synthesized the medicines physostigmine for glaucoma and cortisone. Lewis Sarett invented a synthetic version of the hormone cortisone.

Cosmetics
The history of cosmetics and hair products.

Cotton (Naturally Colored)
Sally Fox invented naturally colored cotton.

Cotton Candy
The history of cotton candy - how they make cotton candy.

Cotton Gin
Eli Whitney patented the cotton gin on March 14, 1794. The cotton gin is a machine that separates seeds, hulls and other unwanted materials from cotton after it has been picked.

Cotton Swabs
Who invented cotton swabs or Q-tips.

Crash Test Dummies
GM developed this test device nearly 20 years ago, to provide a biofidelic measurement tool -- a crash dummy that behaves very similarly to human beings.

Crayons
Crayon history - from the Crayola Company whose founders invented the first crayon.

Cray Supercomputer
Seymour Cray was the inventor of the Cray Supercomputer.

Credit Cards
Spend some time on the history of money.

Cricket
The history of cricket and cricket equipment.

Crossword Puzzles
The crossword puzzle was invented by Arthur Wynne.

Cruise Control
Unstopped by his blindness, Ralph Teetor invented cruise control.

Cuisinart
Carl Sontheimer invented the Cuisinart.

Cyclotron
Ernest Lawrence invented the cyclotron, a device that greatly increased the speed with which projectiles could be hurled at atomic nuclei.

Dentistry Innovations
The history of false teeth, dentistry, the toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss and more.

Deodorants
The history of deodorants.

Depth Charge
The depth charge or bomb is a weapon used by ships or aircraft to attack submerged submarines. The first depth charges were developed by the British in World War I for use against German submarines.

Detergents
In the synthetic detergent industry is not easy to pinpoint exactly when the first synthetic detergents were invented.

Dewar Flask
Sir James Dewar invented the Dewar flask, the first thermos.

Diabetes Testing Kits
Helen Free received a patent for a home diabetes test. The history of insulin.

Dialysis Machine
Willem Kolff invented the artificial kidney dialysis machine. The history of kidney innovations.

Diapers (Disposable)
The convenient disposable diaper was invented by New Yorker Marion Donovan in 1950.

Diesel
Rudolf Diesel was the inventor of the diesel-fueled internal combustion engine.

Digital Camera
The history of the digital camera.

Dirigibles
The history of airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Dishwasher
Josephine Cochran invented the dishwasher in 1886.

Disposable Cell Phone
Randice-Lisa Altschul invented the world's first disposable cell phone.

Diving Equipment
In the 16th century, barrels were used as primitive diving bells, and for the first time divers could travel underwater with more than one breath of air, but not much more than one.

Donut/Doughnut
The history of the pastry with the hole in the middle.

Drinking Straws
In 1888, Marvin Stone patented the spiral winding process to manufacture the first paper drinking straws.

Drive-In
Richard Hollingshead patented and opened the first drive-in theater.

Dr Pepper
In 1885, Charles Aderton invented the Dr Pepper soft drink. The history of soft drinks.

Dry Ice
Dry ice was discovered not invented - the name was trademarked by the first company to sell dry ice.

Duramold
Duramold is a process that involves laminating and molding thin sheets of veneer together. Howard Hughes' airplane called the Spruce Goose was made of Duramold.

DVD
Matshusita was the company mainly responsible for the development of DVD. The hsitory of DVD.

Dynamite
Alfred Nobel invented dynamite.

Earmuffs
Chester Greenwood, a grammar school dropout, invented earmuffs at the age of 15 and accumulated over 100 patents in his lifetime.

Ear Plugs
The history of ear plugs.

Easel
Painting with an easel was known to the ancient Egyptians.

Eating Utensils
The history of forks, spoons and knives.

Eight Track Tape
William Lear invented the eight track tape player and designed the Lear Jet.

ECG/EKG/Electrocardiography
Willem Einthoven received a patent for the ECG - a timeline of the invention and implementation.

Eiffel Tower
Gustave Eiffel built the Eiffel Tower for the Paris World's Fair of 1889, which honored the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution.

Elastic
In 1820, Thomas Hancock patented elastic fastenings for gloves, suspenders, shoes and stockings.

Elevator
Elisha Otis invented the "Improvement in Hoisting Apparatus" or elevator.

Electric Blanket
In 1936, the first automatic electric blanket was invented.

Electric Chair
The history and of the electric chair.

Electricity - Electronics
Several famous persons in the field of electricity and electrical theory are profiled. The history of electricity and electronics.

Electric Motor
Michael Faraday's big breakthrough in electricity development was his invention of the electric motor.

Electrochemical Paintbrush
Adam Cohen invented the "electrochemical paintbrush", nanotechnology used in etching microchips.

Electrogasdynamics Systems
Meredith Gourdine invented electrogasdynamics systems.

Electromagnet
An electromagnet is a device in which magnetism is produced by an electric current.

Electron Tubes
The complex history behind the electron or vacuum tube.

Electrophotography
The copy machine was invented by Chester Carlson.

Electroplating
Electroplating was invented in 1805 and paved the way for economical jewelry.

Electroscope
The electroscope - a device for detecting electric charge - was invented by Jean Nollet in 1748.

Email
Have you ever wondered what this @ in your email address is for?

Engines
Understanding how engines work and the history of engines.

Engraving
The history of engraving, a popular method of printing.

Erector Set
A.C. Gilbert invented the Erector Set, a child's building toy.

ERMA and MICR
The first bank industry computer - also MICR (magnetic ink character recognition) for reading checks.

Escalator
In 1891, Jesse Reno created a new novelty ride at Coney Island that led to the invention of the escalator.

The Etch-A-Sketch
The Etch-A-Sketch was developed in the late 1950s by Arthur Granjean.

Ethernet
Robert Metcalfe and Xerox team invented network computing.

Explosives
The history of explosives.

Eyeglasses
The history of the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate.

Fabrics
Denim, nylon, colored cotton, vinyl... the history behind these and other fabrics.

Farm Innovations
Innovations related to farms, agriculture, tractors, cotton gin, reapers, plows, plant patents and more.

Fasteners
The history of clothing fasteners - buttons, lacing, zippers, snaps, velcro and more.

Fax/Fax Machine/Facsimile
The facsimile was invented in 1842 by Alexander Bain.

Ferris Wheel
The history of the ferris wheel.

Fiber Optics
Fiber optics and the use of light to communicate.

Fig Newton Cookies
The history behind this tasty cookie.

Film
The history of photographic film.

Fingerprinting
One of the first significant developments in forensic science was identification by fingerprinting.

Fire - Alarm Engine Extinguisher Hose Ladder Pole
The history of many fire fighting innovations.

Firearms
The history of guns and firearms.

Fireplace (Rumford)
Count Rumford (aka Benjamin Thompson) invented the Rumford fireplace in 1796.

Fishing Innovations
The history of fishing, rods, reels, baits and more.

Flashlight
The flashlight was invented in 1898, and the biblical quote of "Let There Be Light" was on the cover of the 1899, Eveready catalog.

Forensic Science Innovations
The history of significant developments in forensic science.

Floppy Disk
Alan Shugart nicknamed the first disk - the "Floppy" for its flexibility.

Fluorescent Lamps
The history of fluorescent lights and mercury vapor arc lamps.

Fly Swatter
Who first used the term "fly swatter"?

Flying Saucers
Yes, there are patents issued for flying saucers.

Flying Shuttle
John Kay invented the flying shuttle, an improvement to looms that enabled weavers to weave faster.

Food Inventions
The history of food. The story behind soup, sandwiches, pizza, pasta and other foods.

Football
The invention of football, American style.

Footbag
Hacky Sack or Footbag is a modern American sport invented in 1972.

Fortran
The first high level programming language called fortran was invented by John Backus and IBM.

Fountain Pens
The history of fountain pens and other writing instruments.

Freezers
The history of this famous kitchen appliance.

French Fries
"Potatoes, fried in the French Manner," is how Thomas Jefferson described a dish he brought over to the colonies in the late 1700s.

Freon
In 1928, Thomas Midgley and Charles Kettering invented a "Miracle Compound" called Freon. Freon is now infamous for greatly adding to the depletion of the earth's ozone shield.

Frisbee
How the empty pie plates of the Frisbie Baking Company became the early prototype for the world's funniest sport.

Freeze Drying/Freeze Dried Foods
The basic process of freeze-drying foods were known to the Peruvian Incas of the Andes. Freeze drying is the removal of water from food while the food is frozen.

Frozen Foods
Clarence Birdseye found a way to flash-freeze foods and deliver them to the public - several decades of frozen history.

Fuel Cells
Fuel cells were invented in 1839 by Sir William Grove, and are now becoming the power source for the 21st century. How fuel cells work.

Full Spectrum Lighting
John Ott was the pioneer of full spectrum lighting.

Garbage Bag
Harry Wasylyk invented the green garbage bag.

Gas Mask
The history of gas masks - Garrett Morgan, Cluny MacPherson, and more inventors.

The History of Gasoline
The history of automotive fuel.

Genetic Engineering
Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen invented a method of cloning genetically engineered molecules in foreign cells.

Geobond®
Patricia Billings invented a indestructible and fireproof building material.

Geodesic Domes
Geodesic domes were invented in 1954 by Richard Buckminster Fuller.

Gerber Variable Scale
Joseph Gerber invented the Gerber Variable Scale® and the GERBERcutter®.

Ghost Detectors
Who invented the ghost detector? the history of ghost detecting.

Glass - Glasses
Learn about glass throughout the ages from the bronze age to contemporary glass. Eye glasses from the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate and beyond.

Glue
Around 1750, the first glue patent was issued in Britain for a fish glue.

Golf
The game has advanced from one played with simple hand made clubs and leather balls stuffed with feathers to the game we know today, based on clubs designed by computer using advanced materials such as titanium and zirconia.

GPS/Global Positioning System
GPS or the Global Positioning System was invented by the U.S. Department of Defense

Graham Crackers
Sylvester Graham invented Graham Crackers in 1829.

Grain Elevator
In 1842, the first grain elevator was built in Buffalo, NY.

Gramophone
Emile Berliner invented the disk gramophone, the first record player to use disks. The history of the gramophone.

Grenade
The word "grenade" comes from the French word for pomegranate, early grenades looked like pomegranates.

Grocery Bag
Margaret Knight was an employee in a paper bag factory when she invented a new machine part to make square bottoms for paper bags.

Guitar
The history behind the universally popular string instrument played by plucking or strumming.

Guillotine
The history of the guillotine, the last execution and more.

Gum
The invention and history of chewing gum and bubble gum, gum wrappers, tins and bubble gum machines.

Guns

Gyroscope
The history of gyroscopes.

Hacky Sack

Hair Brush - Dye - Spray - Styling Tools
The history of hair dryers, ironing curlers and other beauty appliances. The history of cosmetics and hair products.

Hallmark Cards
Joyce Hall was a youthful picture-postcard peddler who became the big name in greeting cards.

Halloween Patents
See some amazing inventions patented in service of Halloween.

Halogen Lights
Also lightbulbs, lighting and other lamps.

Coat Hangers
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869, by O. A. North of New Britain, Connecticut.

Hardware Tools
The inventors behind several common household tools.

Harpsicord
The history behind musical instruments and their inventors.

Hats and Wigs
The history of hats and wigs.

Helicopter
The history of helicopters.

Highways
The history of roads and asphalt.

Hills Hoist
A rotary clothes line developed and marketed by Australian, Lance Hill in 1945.

HIV Protease Inhibitors
First invented between 1989 and 1994.

Hockey
The game we know today was first played in Montreal in 1875, according to rules devised by a McGill student.

Hole Punch
C. B. Brooks patented an early paper punch, also called a ticket punch. It was the first ticket punch to have a built-in receptacle on one of the jars to collect the round pieces of waste paper and prevent littering.

Holography/Holograms
Holography is a photographic process, best known for the 3-dimensional images. Holograms are made using a laser and a light-sensitive material chemically similar to a photographic emulsion.

Home Innovations
The history of the common inventions you find inside your home.

Home Security
The first home security system was patented on December 2, 1969.

Horseshoe
The origin of iron horseshoes and horseshoe nails.

Hot Dogs
The history of hot dogs.

Hovercraft
The hovercraft was invented by Christopher Cockerell in 1956.

HTML
The history of hypertext markup language (HTML) is a strange and interesting tale.

Hula Hoop
The hula hoop was re-invented by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells
Invented in 1839 by Sir William Grove, hydrogen fuel cells have now becoming the power source for the 21st century. How hydrogen cells work.

Hygrometer
A hygrometer is an instrument used to measure the moisture content or the humidity of air or any gas.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers
The history of hyperbaric oxygen chambers.

Hypodermic Needle or Syringe
What's the history behind this medical device

Jacuzzi
In 1968, Roy Jacuzzi invented and marketed the first self-contained, fully integrated whirlpool bath by incorporating jets into the sides of the tub. Jacuzzi® is the trademarked name for the invention.

Jacquard Loom
Weaved complex designs.

Janney Coupler
An improvement in railroad car couplers that became the standard for the railroad freightcar couplers used even today.

Java
Java is a programming language and environment written by Patrick Naughton, Mike Sheridan and James Gosling.

Created by Netscape programmer Brendan Eich.

Jet Ski
The jet ski was invented by Clayton Jacobsen II.

Jet Engine
Dr. Hans von Ohain and Sir Frank Whittle are recognized as the co-inventors of the jet engine.

Jigsaw Puzzles
The history of jigsaw puzzles - John Spilsbury created the first jigsaw puzzle in 1767.

Jukebox
The history of the jukebox.

Kaleidoscopes
The kaleidoscope was invented by Sir David Brewster and patented by him in 1817.

KaZaA
A second-generation peer-to-peer file-sharing service.

Kevlar
Stephanie Kwolek invented a material five times stronger than steel.

Keyboard
The invention of the modern computer keyboard began with the invention of the typewriter.

Kinescope
Vladimir Zworykin invented a type of cathode-ray tube called the kinescope in 1929, a tube needed for television transmission.

Kitchen Appliances
Who invented the refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave oven and other kitchen appliances?

Kitty Litter
Edward Lowe made the trademark name of Kitty Litter® part of the American vocabulary.

KOOL-AID
Edwin Perkins invented kool-aid in 1927.

Kraft Foods
For over two hundred years, many companies have merged to create Kraft Foods, the company it is today. Read about the many "firsts" in the heritage of Kraft.

Laptop Computer
The history of the laptop.

Laser
Gordon Gould received a patent for the laser - the history of lasers from 1917 to the present.

Laser Disc
David Paul Gregg first envisioned the optical or laser disc in 1958 and patented it in 1969.

Laser Printers
The history of computer laser printers.

Lava Lamp
Post-war England was the perfect backdrop for Craven Walker to create this swinging 60's icon.

Lawn Mowers
The first patent for a "machine for mowing lawns" was granted to Edwin Beard Budding on August 31, 1830.

LCD - Liquid Crystal Display
James Fergason invented liquid crystal display.

Letter Box
Philip Downing invented the letter drop letter box in 1891. The history of the mail.

Lie Detector
John Larson invented the polygraph or lie detector in 1921.

Life Savers Candy
The history of the candy called life savers.

Light Microscope
Read about the history of the microscope, from the earliest models to today's scanning electron microscope.

Lightbulbs/Lighting/Lamps
Read about the history of lighting - including fluorescent lamps, halogen lights, lightbulbs, mercury vapor lighting and tungsten wire.

Lisa Computers
The first home computer with a GUI or graphical user interface was Apple's Lisa.

Liquid Paper
Bette Graham received a patent for "Liquid Paper".

Liquid Soap
The original liquid soap was introduced in 1980.

Locks
While the original inventor of the lock is lost in history, there are many inventors and patents still found on record.

Loudspeakers
The history of music speakers.

Lunchbox (Metal)
The first metal lunchbox produced was the Hopalong Cassidy created by the Aladdin company in 1950.

Macintosh Computer
Learn the history behind the famous Apple home computer.

Mackintosh Raincoat
The mackintosh raincoat was named after Charles Macintosh.

Magnetic Core Memory
Kenneth Olsen invented "Magnetic Core Memory".

Magnetic Resonance Imaging
The history of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner, which has revolutionized the field of diagnostic medicine.

Magnets
These are natural stones and are not inventions. However, the machines that we make with magnets are inventions.

Mail Order Catalog
Aaron Montgomery Ward sent out his first mail order catalog in 1872.

Mail-Related Innovations
William Barry invented the postmarking and canceling machine. William Purvis invented the hand stamp. Philip Downing invented the letter-drop letter box. Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp in 1837.

Marshmallows
The history of marshmallows.

Maser Laser
Arthur Schawlow received a patent for the maser laser.

Matches
John Walker brought the power of Prometheus to our fingertips.

Mathematics
Learn about the history of math and the inventions associated with mathematics.

MDMA
MDMA or ecstasy began as a 1913 patent belonging to the Merck Chemical Company.

Measuring Tools
From Noah's ark to modern times, read about the history of measurement and measuring tools.

Medical Innovations
The history behind many key medical innovations.

Megaphones
Cecile B DeMille was the first director to use a megaphone on the movie set.

Mercury Vapor Lighting
Read about the history of mercury lighting - also the lightbulb, lighting and other lamp inventions.

Metal Detector
Alexander Graham Bell invented the first crude metal detector in 1881. The portable metal detector was invented by Gerhard Fischar in 1931.

ERMA and MICR
The first bank industry computer - also MICR (magnetic ink character recognition) for reading checks.

Microchip or Integrated Circuit
The integrated circuit was co-invented by Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce.

The History of Microphones
The first microphone was a telephone transmitter invented by Emile Berliner for Alexander Graham Bell in 1876. With the invention of the radio, new broadcasting microphones were created. Microphone FAQ - Microphone Basics - How They Work - Types of Microphones - Early Microphones

Microprocessor
The Intel 4004 was the first microprocessor.

Microscope
Read about the history of the microscope, from the earliest models to today's scanning electron microscope.

Microbiology Innovations
Timeline and profiles on inventors related to microscopy, culture methods, germ theory of disease, defense or control of microbes and molecular methods.

Microwave Oven
The microwave oven was invented by Percy Spencer.

Mills
Information on the history and workings of water mills, windmills, paper mills and other types of mills.

Miniature Golf
Garnet Carter was the first person to patent a game of miniature golf called "Tom Thumb Golf" in 1927.

Mirrors
Mirrors made by coating flat glass with silver or gold foil dates from Roman times.

Missile Systems
Missile systems are any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Mobile/Cellular Phones
How the FCC slowed the progress of a mobile cellular phone system.

Mobile Homes
Mobile homes as we know them today began in 1926 with automobile-pulled trailers or "Trailer Coaches" designed as a home away from home during camping trips.

Modems
The history of modems along with some historical trivia about email.

Money
The past, present and future history of money.

Monopoly
Charles Darrow became the first millionaire game designer, after he sold his Monopoly patent to Parker Brothers.

Moonpies
The history of moonpies, a tasty pastry.

Morse Code
Samuel Morse invented morse code, an electronic alphabet patented in 1840.

Motion Picture Innovations
Learn about the early history of the cinema, camera, projectors etc.

Motorcycles
The history of the first motorcycles - Gottlieb Daimler and the first practical motorcycle - online motorcycle museum - motorcycle history.

Computer Mouse
Douglas Engelbart nicknamed his invention the mouse because the tail came out off the end.

Mousetraps
Old drawings of mousetrap patents.

MRI Scanner
The history of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner, which has revolutionized the field of diagnostic medicine.

Musical Instruments
The history behind different musical instruments and the inventors.

My Little Pony
My Little Ponies® is the registered trademark belonging to Hasbro Industries for their very popular toy pony.

Nail Polish
The history of nail polish.

Native American Inventors/Inventions
Native American inventions and achievements in science - native technology both ancient, modern and revived.

Nautical-Related Innovations
The history of buoys and tenders, fog horns, fishing industry innovations, sailing ships and more.

Neckties
The history of neckties - the honor of father of modern necktie construction goes to the American tie manufacturer Jesse Langsdorf, who in 1920 patented the all-weather, wrinkle-free tie.

Neon
Los Vegas should build a shrine to these early inventors.

Neutronic Reactor
Enrico Fermi invented the neutronic reactor.

Nintendo
Interesting history even if you have never touched a joystick.

Nipkow Disk
In 1884, Paul Nipkow invented a rotating-disk technology to transmit pictures over wire called the Nipkow Disk. This was the very first electromechanical television scanning system. Nipkow's system was abandoned early in the history of the television for the electronic systems developed by later inventors.

Nuclear Innovations
Inventors and innovations surrounding nuclear physics.

Nylon/Neoprene
A brilliant and tragic mind, Carothers was the brains behind Dupont and the birth of synthetic fibers.

Nystatin
Rachel Brown and Elizabeth Hazen co-invented the world's first useful antifungal antibiotic called Nystatin.

Ocarina
Giuseppe Donati invented the modern 10-hole ocarina.

Oceanography - Innovations and History
Although oceanography has been recognized as a formal scientific discipline for only 150 years, the quest for this understanding and its practical application to commerce and war - often unwitting - goes back much further.

Odometer
History of the odometer.

Office Innovations
Paperclips, typewriters, computers -- how many inventions are there in the office?

Optical Analysis System
Ellen Ochoa invented the optical analysis system.

Optical Diagnostic Equipment
Tuan Vo-Dinh invented optical diagnostic equipment. Vo-Dinh's patents were for a badge worn on a worker's shirt that recorded exposure to toxic chemicals and for a optical scanner that would read that badge.

Optical Disc
David Paul Gregg first envisioned the optical or laser disc in 1958 and patented it in 1969.

Oral Contraceptives
The inventors behind the first oral contraceptives.

Orgone Accumulator
Dr Wilhelm Reich invented the orgone accumulator.

O-Ring
Today's dynamic o-ring was the result of experimental work done in the early 1930's by Mr. Niels Christensen.

Outboard Motor
Ole Evinrude invented the outboard motor.

Pacemaker
John Hopps invented the first cardiac pacemaker.

Package Saver
Have you ever wondered, "who invented the circular thing that keeps the pizza from hitting the inside of the box top?"

Pagers
A pager is a dedicated RF (radio frequency) device.

Paige Typesetter
A competitor to the linotype machine was the Mark Twain funded paige typesetter.

Paintball
The history and invention of Paintball.

Paint Roller
The paint roller was invented by Norman Breakey of Toronto in 1940.

Panty Hose
The history of panty hose.

Paper/Papermaking/Paper Sacks or Bags
The history of paper, papermaking and paper sacks; the patents and persons behind the different processes.

Paperclip
A history of the paperclip.

Paper Punch
History of the paper punch.

Paper Towels
Who invented paper towels and other kitchen innovations.

Parachutes
Louis Sebastien Lenormand is credited with being the first person to demonstrate the principle of the parachute in 1783.

Parking Meter
Carl Magee invented the first parking meter in 1932.

Particle Accelerators
The history of particle accelerators.

Pasta
The history of pasta.

Pasteurization
Louis Pasteur invented pasteurization.

PCR
Kary Mullis received a patent for PCR, the process for amplifying nucleic acids.

PCS
Learn about PCS technology (Personal Communication Services) or digital cellular phones.

Peanut Butter
The history of peanut butter.

Penicillin
The history of the drug penicillin and how it works. Penicillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming. Andrew Moyer patented the industrial production of penicillin. John Sheehan invented a synthesis of natural penicillin.

Pens/Pencils
The history of pens and other writing instruments (including pencil sharpeners and erasers).

Pepsi-Cola
"Pepsi-Cola" was invented by Caleb Bradham in 1898.

Pentothal
Donalee Tabern and Ernest Volwiler co-invented the general anesthetic, Pentothal.

Periodic Table
The history of the periodic table.

Periscope
The history of the periscope.

Perfume
The history behind perfume.

Perpetual Motion Machine
The USPTO will not patent a perpetual motion machine.

Petroleum Refining
Edith Flanigen received a patent for a petroleum refining method, and was one of the most inventive chemists of all time.

Pez Candy
Don't forget someone had to have invented the Pez dispenser - smile and enjoy.

Phillips Head Screw
The Phillips head screw was the brainchild of Henry Phillips. He invented the new screw to work better with power screwdrivers.

Phone-Card-Phone

Phonograph
The word "phonograph" was Edison's tradename for his musical playback device, which played wax cylinders rather than flat disks.

Photocopier
The photocopier was invented by Chester Carlson.

Phototypesetting
Louis Moyroud and Rene Higonnet invented the first practical phototypesetting machine.

Photography
Learn about the Camera Obscura, the history of photography, the significant processes, polaroid photography and the invention of photographic film.

Photovoltics/Photoluminescence
Inventions related to photovoltics or photoluminescence.

Piano
The history of the piano.

Piggy Bank
The piggy bank's origin owes more to the history of language.

Pill
The patents and people behind the first oral contraceptives.

Pillsbury Doughboy
On October, 1965, Pillsbury debuted the loveable 14-ounce, 8 3/4-inch character in a Crescent Roll commercial.

Pinball
The history of pinball.

Pizza
The history of pizza.

Plastic
Learn about the history of plastic, the uses for and the making of plastic, plastic in the fifties and more.

Play-Doh
Noah McVicker and Joseph McVicker invented Play-Doh in 1956.

Pliers - Tongs, Pincers, Plyers
Simple pliers are an ancient invention. Two sticks probably served as the first uncertain holders, but bronze bars may have replaced wooden tongs as early as 3000 BC.

Plow
John Deere invented the self-polishing cast steel plow.

Plumbing
Learn about ancient and modern plumbing from around the world - bathes, toilets, water closets.

Pneumatic Tube/Pneumatic Devices
A pneumatic device is any of various tools and instruments that generate and utilize compressed air.

Pogo Stick
Legend and history of the jumping toy.

Polaroid Photography
Polaroid photography was invented by Edwin Land.

Police Technology
The methods and techniques of, and the equipment available to, police agencies.

Polio Vaccine
History of the polio vaccine and biography of polio researcher Jonas Salk.

Polyester
Polyethylene terephthalate created synthetic fibers such as polyester dacron and terylene.

Polygraph

Polystyrene
Polystyrene is a strong plastic created from erethylene and benzine that can be injected, extruded or blow molded, making it a very useful and versatile manufacturing material.

Polyurethane
Polyurethane is an organic polymer.

Pom Poms

Popsicle
The history of the popsicle.

Post-It Notes
Arthur Fry invented Post-It Notes as a temporary bookmarker.

Postal Innovations
William Barry invented the postmarking and canceling machine. William Purvis invented the hand stamp. Philip Downing invented the letter-drop letter box. Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp.

Potato Chips
Potato chips were invented in 1853.

Poulsen Arc Transmitter
The arc transmitter was invented by Valdemar Poulsen in 1902.

Power Loom
Edmund Cartwright was a cleric who invented the power loom.

Printers (Computer)
The history of computer printers.

Printing
Learn about the history of printing and printer technology.

Prony Brake
Gaspard de Prony invented the Prony brake or dynamometer.

Prosthetics
The history of prosthetics and amputation surgery begins at the very dawning of human medical thought.

Prozac
Prozac® is the registered trademarked name for fluoxetine hydrochloride and the world's most widely prescribed antidepressant.

Pumpkin Carving Kits
The art and history of pumpkin carving.

Punch Cards
Herman Hollerith invented a punch-card tabulation machine system for statistical computation.

Push Pins
Edwin Moore invented the push-pin.

Puzzles
Learn the history behind the crossword and other brain-teasing puzzles.

PVDC
The origins of Saran Wrap® (PVDC) film and the history of the Dow Chemical Company.

PVC
Waldo Semon invented a way to make polyvinyl chloride or vinyl useful.

Q-tips

Quartz Watch
View an historical timeline on the invention of the quartz watch.

QWERTY
QWERTY is the name for the layout of typewriter keys.

RADAR/Doppler RADAR
The history of RADAR and Doppler RADAR.

Radio
The history of the radio.

Radiovision
Charles Jenkins invented a mechanical television system called radiovision and claimed to have transmitted the earliest moving silhouette images on June 14, 1923.

Railroad Related Innovations
The history of railroads and railroad related innovations.

RAM
Intel's 1103 was the world's first available dynamic RAM chip.

Razors
The history of shaving time line - safety razors, mechanical razors, electric razors, razors for women and more.

Reaper
In 1831, Cyrus McCormick invented the first commercially successful reaper, a horse-drawn machine that harvested wheat.

Refrigerators

Remote Controls
The first television remote control called "Lazy Bones" was invented in 1950 by Zenith.

Respirators
The first respirator was called the "iron lung". It was invented by Philip Drinker and Louis Agassiz Shaw in 1927.

Revolvers
The history of the revolver.

Roads

Robots
How science fiction has become science fact.

Robot Ants
James McLurkin invented microrobots that work together as a community.

Rockets (Missiles)
Any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Rocket (Space Travel)
Robert Goddard invented liquid-fueled rockets and a control mechanism for rocket apparatus.

Rodeo Innovations
Earl Bascom invented and manufactured the rodeo's first one-hand bareback rigging.

Rollercoasters
John Miller was the 'Thomas Edison" of rollercoasters.

Roller Skates
The history of roller skates began as a way to ice skate on land.

Rolodex
Alfred Neustadter invented the Rolodex.

Root Beer
The history of root beer.

Rubber
The strange story of rubber - also the history of rubber stamps, rubber erasers, rubber balloons and more.

Rubik's Cube
There is only one correct answer and 43 quintillion wrong ones to the most popular puzzle in history.

Ruby Laser System
Theodore Harold Maiman received a patent for the Ruby Laser System.

Rumford Fireplace

Safety Pin
The safety pin was invented by Walter Hunt in 1849.

Sailboards
The very first sailboards date back to the late 1950s.

Sandwich
The origins of the sandwich.

Saran Wrap
The origins of Saran Wrap film and the history of the Dow Chemical Company.

Satellites
History changed on October 4, 1957, when the former Soviet Union successfully launched Sputnik I. The world's first artificial satellite was about the size of a basketball, weighed only 183 pounds, and took about 98 minutes to orbit the Earth on its elliptical path.

Saxophone
The history of the saxophone.

Scanning and Sorting Machine
Jacob Rabinow received a patent for a automated scanning and sorting machine.

Scanning Tunneling Microscope - STM
Gerd Karl Binnig and Heinrich Rohrer are the inventors of the STM, which provided the first images of individual atoms.

Scissors
There is history behind this cutting invention.

Scooters
The invention of scooters.

Scotch Tape
Scotch Tape was patented by the banjo playing, 3M engineer, Richard Drew.

Scotchgard
Patsy Sherman received a patent for scotchgard.

Screws and Screwdrivers
Early wooden screws - Archimedes Screw - Phillips Head Screw - Robertson Screw - Square Drive Screws - screwdrivers.

Scuba Diving Equipment
In the 16th century, barrels were used as primitive diving bells, and for the first time divers could travel underwater with more than one breath of air, but not much more than one.

Sea-cretion
Wolf Hilbertz patented sea-cretion, a construction material made from the electrolytic deposition of minerals from seawater.

Seat Belts
Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849.

Seaplane
On March 28, 1910, the first successful seaplane take-off from water at Martinque, France.

Seismograph
John Milne was the English seismologist and geologist who invented the first modern seismograph and promoted the building of seismological stations.

Self-Cleaning House
This amazing home was invented by Frances Gabe.

Seven-Up
Seven-Up is the bubbling lemon lime drink invented by Charles Grigg.

Sewing Machines
The history behind sewing machines.

Shrapnel
Shrapnel is a type of antipersonnel projectile named after the inventor, Henry Shrapnel.

Shoes/Shoelaces/Sandals/Sneakers
An interesting tale of the sole - "As late as 1850 most shoes were made on absolutely straight lasts, there being no difference between the right and the left shoe." Learn about the history of footwear and shoe making technology

Shoe Manufacturing Machine
Jan Matzeliger developed an automatic method for lasting shoes and made the mass production of affordable shoes possible.

Shopping Innovations
Who created the first shopping mall and other trivia.

Silly Putty
Silly Putty is a result of history, engineering, an accident and entrepreneurship.

Sign Language
The history of sign language.

Pyrotechnic Signaling System
Martha Coston invented a system of maritime signal flares.

Skyscrapers
The skyscraper like many other architectural forms, evolved over a long period of time.

Skateboard
A short history of the skateboard.

Skates (Ice)
The oldest pair of ice skates known, date back to 3000 B.C.

Skiing Equipment
There is a long history behind the sport of Skiing. The idea of skiing dates as far back as the stone-age period.

Pullman Sleeping Car
The Pullman sleeping car (train) was invented by George Pullman in 1857.

Sliced Bread
The history of sliced bread and the toaster, the best thing since sliced bread, but actually invented before sliced bread.

Slide Ruler
Before we had calculators, we had slide rulers.

Slinky
The slinky was invented by Richard and Betty James.

Slot Machines
The first mechanical slot machine was the Liberty Bell, invented in 1895 by Charles Fey

Smart Gels
Toyoichi Tanaka received a patent for Smart Gels, a synthetic (polyacrylamide) polymer gel with unusual properties.

Smart Pills
The name of smart pill now refers to any pill that can deliver or control its delivery of medicine without the patient having to take action beyond the initial swallow.

Smoke Detectors
The first battery operated home smoke detector was patented in 1969, Randolph Smith and Kenneth House.

Snack Foods
Snack food history - pretzels, popcorn, ice cream, soft drinks, gum and more.

Sneakers
Modern athletic shoes were designed by Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight.

Snowblower
Canadian, Arthur Sicard invented the snowblower in 1925.

Snowmaking Machines
The history of snowmaking machines and facts about making snow.

Snowmobile
In 1922, Joseph-Armand Bombardier developed the type of sport machine that we know today as the snowmobile.

Soaps
Soap making was known as early as 2800 B.C. - in the synthetic detergent industry it is not as easy to pinpoint exactly when the first detergents were invented.

Soccer
Not much is known about the origin of soccer, however, football and ball kicking games were played by the ancient Greeks and Romans.

Soda Fountain
In 1819, the "soda fountain" was patented by Samuel Fahnestock.

Softball
George Hancock invented softball.

Soft Drinks
An introduction to the history of soft drinks including Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola and the history behind other pop drinks.

Software
The history of different software programs.

Solar-Powered Cars - Solar Panels - Photovoltics
In 1839, Edmund Becquerel, a French physicist was the first person to observe the photovoltaic effect. Solar-powered electric demonstration vehicles were first built by universities and manufacturers during the late eighties.

Sonar
Experience the history of Sonar.

S.O.S Soap Pads
Ed Cox invented a pre-soaped pad with which to clean pots.

Sound Recording
The history of sound recording technology - from early recorded sounds and wax cylinders to the latest in broadcasting history.

Soup
Where did soup come from.

Spacesuits
The history of spacesuits.

Spark Plugs
The history of spark plugs.

Spectacles
The history of eyeglasses from the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate and beyond.

Spectrograph
George Carruthers received a patent for the far-ultraviolet camera and the spectrograph.

Spectrometer
The history of the spectrometer.

Spinning Jenny
Hargreaves patented the spinning jenny used for weaving yarn.

Spinning Mule
Samuel Crompton invented the spinning mule.

Spinning Wheel
The spinning wheel is an ancient machine that turned fibers into thread or yarn, which were then woven into cloth on a loom. The spinning wheel was probably invented in India, though its origins are obscure.

Spork
The spork is half spoon and half fork.

Sports
Yes, there are patents involved with sports.

Sporting Goods Innovations
Learn who invented the skateboard, the frisbee, sneakers, the bicycle, the boomerang and other sporting goods.

Sprinkler Systems
The first fire sprinkler system was invented by American, Henry Parmalee in 1874.

Stamps
Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp in 1837, an act for which he was knighted.

Stapler
Brass paper fasteners were introduced in the mid-1860s, and by 1866 George W. McGill had developed a machine to insert these fasteners into papers. The first stapling machine with a magazine that held a supply of preformed wire staples that were fed automatically to the staple-driving mechanism was patented in 1878.

Statue of Liberty
Bartholdi was a French sculptor born in Alsace - He created many monumental sculptures - his most famous work was the Statue of Liberty.

Steamboats
Robert Fulton invented the first successful steamboat on August 7, 1807.

Steam Engines
Thomas Newcomen invented the atmospheric steam engine in 1712 - steam engine history and information on the men and women involved with steam engines.

Steel
Henry Bessemer invented the first process for mass-producing steel inexpensively.

Sterotyping
William Ged invented stereotyping in 1725. Sterotyping is a process in which a whole page of type is cast in a single mold so that a printing plate can be made from it.

Stoves
The history of stoves.

Straws
In 1888, Marvin Stone patented the spiral winding process to manufacture the first paper drinking straws.

Street Sweeper
C. B. Brooks invented an improved street sweeper truck and patented it on March 17, 1896.

Styrofoam®
What we commonly call styrofoam, is actually the most recognizable form of foam polystyrene packaging.

Submarines
Study the evolution of submarine design, from the submarine's beginning as a compressed air or human-powered warship to today's nuclear-powered subs.

Sugar Processing Evaporator
The sugar processing evaporator was invented by Norbert Rillieux.

Sunglasses
Around the year 1752, James Ayscough introduced his spectacles with lenses made of tinted glass.

Supercomputer
Seymour Cray and the Cray Supercomputer.

Superconductors
In 1986, Alex Müller and Johannes Bednorz patented the first high-temperature superconductor.

Super Soaker
Lonnie Johnson invented the Super Soaker® a squirt gun. Johnson also patented thermodynamics systems.

Suspenders
The first patent ever issued for modern suspenders, the kind with the familiar metal clasp was patent by Roth.

Swimming Pools
The history of swimming pools - the first heated swimming pool was built by Gaius Maecenas of Rome.

Syringe
The history behind this medical device.

Tagamet
Graham Durant, John Emmett and Charon Ganellin co-invented Tagamet. Tagamet inhibits the production of stomach acid.

Tampons
The history of tampons.

Tape Recorders
The history of sound recording technology - from early recorded sounds and wax cylinders to the latest in broadcasting history.

Tattoo
Samuel O'Reilly and the history of inventions related to tattoos.

Tea
The history of tea, tea bags, tea drinking customs and more.

Teddy Bear
Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, is the person responsible for giving the teddy bear his name.

Teflon
Roy Plunkett invented tetrafluoroethylene polymers or Teflon.

Tekno Bubbles
Tekno Bubbles are a rave innovative variation on the old blowing bubbles, but these bubbles glow under black lights and can smell like raspberries.

Telegraph/Telegraphy
Samuel Morse invented the telegraph. The general history of telegraphy.

Telephone
The history of the the telephone and telephone related devices.

Telephone Switching System
Erna Hoover invented the computerized telephone switching system.

Telescope
A spectacle maker probably assembled the first telescope. Hans Lippershey of Holland is often credited with the invention of the telescope, but he almost certainly was not the first person to make one.

Television
The history of television - color television, satellite broadcasts, remote controls and other television related inventions.

Tennis
In 1873, Walter Wingfield invented a game called Sphairistikè (Greek for "playing ball) which evolved into modern outdoor tennis.

Tetracycline
Lloyd Conover invented the antibiotic tetracycline, which became the most prescribed broad spectrum antibiotic in the United States.

Theme Parks
The history of the carousel, rollercoaster and other circus and theme park innovations.

Thermometer
The first thermometers were called thermoscopes. In 1724, Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, the modern thermometer.

Thermos
Sir James Dewar was the inventor of the Dewar flask, the first thermos.

Timekeeping/Time Measurement
The history of timekeeping innovations and time measurement.

Timken
Henry Timken received a patent for the Timken or tapered roller bearings.

Tidal Plants
The rise and fall of the sea level can power electric-generating equipment.

Tires
The history of tires.

Toaster
The best thing since sliced bread, but actually invented before sliced bread.

Tobacco
A history of the use of tobacco and the invention of tobacco related innovations.

Toilets
The history of toilets and plumbing.

Toilet Paper
I get asked who invented toilet paper quite often, here is the answer.

Tom Thumb Locomotive
The history of the inventor of the Tom Thumb locomotive and Jello.

Tools
The history behind several common household tools.

Toothpaste/Toothbrush/Toothpick
Who invented false teeth, dentistry, toothbrush, toothpaste, toothpicks and dental floss.

Automatic Totalizator
The automatic totalizator is a system that totals the investments on runners, horses, betting pools and pays out dividends; invented by Sir George Julius in 1913.

Touch Screen Technology
The touch screen is one of the easiest to use and most intuitive of all PC interfaces, making it the interface of choice for a wide variety of applications.

Toys
The history behind several toy inventions - including how some toys were invented, how others got their names and how famous toy companies began.

Tractors
A history of tractors, bulldozers, forklifts and related machinery.

Traffic Signal (Morgan)
Garrett Morgan patented a hand-cranked traffic management device.

Traffic Signals (General)
The world's first traffic lights were installed near London's House of Commons in 1868.

Trampoline
The history of the trampoline, carousel, rollercoaster and other circus and theme park innovations.

Transistor
John Bardeen, Walter Brattain and William Shockley co-invented the transistor in 1947.

Transportation
The history and timeline of different transportation innovations - cars, bikes, planes, and more.

Trillian
The king of instant messengers.

Trivial Pursuit
Trivial Pursuit was invented by Canadians Chris Haney and Scott Abbott.

Trumpet
The history of the trumpet.

TTY, TDD or Tele-Typewriter
The history of TTY.

Tungsten Wire
The history of tungsten wire used in lightbulbs.

Tupperware
Tupperware was invented by Earl Tupper.

Tuxedo
The tuxedo was invented by Pierre Lorillard of New York City.

Umbrella
The Chinese invented the umbrella by waxing their made-for-the-sun paper parasols, to create rain protection. More recent umbrella developments are discussed.

Vaccination Needle
Benjamin Rubin invented the "Pronged Vaccinating and Testing Needle."

Vacuum Cleaner
The history of the vacuum cleaner.

Vacuum Packed Canning
Amanda Jones re-invented American food production by inventing vacuum packed canning.

Vacuum Tubes

Velcro
Mother Nature could not have made it better herself.

Vending Machines
The first commercial coin-operated vending machine was introduced in London in the early 1880s; it dispensed post cards.

Venetian Blinds
The history behind venetian blinds.

Viagra - The Patenting of an Aphrodisiac
To the researchers of Viagra - life might seem cruel.

Video Recorders/Video Tape/Video Camera
The history of the first practical videotape recorder (VTR) - audio and video magnetic recording history - video cameras.

Video Games
The history of video games is interesting even if you have never touched a joystick.

VisiCalc
VisiCalc, the first computer spreadsheet program, was released to the public in 1979.

Vitamins (Discovery or Synthesized and Production Methods)
The history of vitamins.

Vinyl
Waldo Semon invented a way to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC) useful - the history of vinyl.

Volleyball
Volleyball was invented by William Morgan in 1895.

Voting Machines
The history of voting machines - paper ballots - mechanical lever machines - punch cards - optical scan - direct recording electronic.

Walkie Talkie
History and information on the walkie talkie radio.

Walkman
The history of the Sony Walkman.

Washing Machines
The earliest washing "machine" - the scrub board - was invented in 1797.

Watches
The invention of the quartz watch, mechanical clocks, timekeeping devices and time measurement.

Water Based Fuels
Rudolf Gunnerman invented water based fuels.

Water Fountain - Water Cooler
The modern drinking fountain was invented and then manufactured in the early 1900s.

Water Frames
It was the first powered textile machine and enabled the move away from small home manufacturing towards factory production.

Water Heaters
Edwin Ruud invented the automatic storage water heater in 1889.

Water Mills
The history and workings of water mills, windmills, paper mills and other types of mills.

Water Wheel
The water wheel is an ancient device that uses flowing or falling water to create power by means of a set of paddles mounted around a wheel.

Waterskiing
Waterskiing was invented in 1922 by Ralph Samuelson, an eighteen-year-old from Minnesota. Samuelson proposed the idea that if you could ski on snow, then you could ski on water.

WD-40
Norm Larsen invented WD-40 in 1953.

Weather Instruments
The history and patents behind different weather measuring instruments.

WebTV
The history of WebTV.

Welding Tools and Welding History
In 1885, Nikolai Benardos and Stanislav Olszewski were granted a patent for an electric arc welder with a carbon electrode called the Electrogefest. Benardos and Olszewski are considered the fathers of welding apparatus.

Wheel
Everyone kept asking me who invented the wheel; here is the answer.

Wheelbarrow
Chuko Liang of China is considered to be the creator of the wheelbarrow.

Wheelchairs
In 1932, Harry Jennings built the first folding, tubular-steel wheelchair.

Wigs

Windmills
Information on the history and workings of water mills, windmills, paper mills and other types of mills.

Windows
The history of Microsoft's graphical user interface for personal computers.

Windshield Wipers
Mary Anderson invented windshield wipers. The history of cars.

Windsurfing
Windsurfing or boardsailing is a sport that combines sailing and surfing and uses a one person craft called a sailboard.

White-out
Bette Nesmith Graham invented white-out.

Word Processing
The origins of word processing programs - from a rising WordStar.

Wrenches - Monkey - Ratchetless
Solymon Merrick patented the first wrench in 1835.

Wristies
KK Gregory is the ten-year-old inventor of Wristies.

Writing Instruments
The history of pens and other writing instruments.

Xerox/Xerography
The invention that no one wanted at first; yet it changed the world.

X-Rays
The history of the X-Ray. Diagnostic X-Ray systems were invented by Robert Ledley. The X-Ray tube was invented by William Coolidge.

Yellow Pages
In 1886, Reuben H. Donnelly produced the first Yellow Pages directory. The history of the telephone.

Yo-Yo
The history of the Yo-Yo.

Zamboni
The history of the Zamboni, the original ice cleaning machine invented by Frank Zamboni.

Zeppelins
The history and inventors behind all airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Zipper
The history of the zipper - original patents and prototypes of the zipper.

Lovecraft
04-14-2005, 12:00 PM

you just did.

anyone who would compare the negative effects of pot to the negative effects of e. dumbass. i meant anyone that would put e in the same ball park as pot.

Lovecraft
04-14-2005, 12:01 PM

1) The Telephone
The telephone is an instrument that converts voice and sound signals into electrical impulses for transmission by wire to a different location, where another telephone receives the electrical impulses and turns them back into recognizable sounds. In 1875, Alexander Graham Bell built the first telephone that transmitted electrically the human voice.
2) The History of Computers
There are many major milestones in the history of computers, starting with 1936, when Konrad Zuse built the first freely programmable computer.
3) Television
In 1884, Paul Nipkow sent images over wires using a rotating metal disk technology with 18 lines of resolution. Television then evolved along two paths, mechanical based on Nipkow's rotating disks, and electronic based on the cathode ray tube. American Charles Jenkins and Scotsman John Baird followed the mechanical model while Philo Farnsworth, working independently in San Francisco, and Russian émigré Vladimir Zworkin, working for Westinghouse and later RCA, advanced the electronic model.
4) The Automobile
In 1769, the very first self-propelled road vehicle was invented by French mechanic, Nicolas Joseph Cugnot. However, it was a steam-powered model. In 1885, Karl Benz designed and built the world's first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine. In 1885, Gottlieb Daimler took the internal combustion engine a step further and patented what is generally recognized as the prototype of the modern gas engine and later built the world's first four-wheeled motor vehicle.
5) The Cotton Gin
6) The Camera
In 1814, Joseph Nicéphore Niépce created the first photographic image with a camera obscura, however, the image required eight hours of light exposure and later faded. Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre is considered the inventor of the first practical process of photography in 1837.
7) The Steam Engine
Thomas Savery was an English military engineer and inventor who in 1698, patented the first crude steam engine. Thomas Newcomen invented the atmospheric steam engine in 1712. James Watt improved Newcomen's design and invented what is considered the first modern steam engine in 1765.
8) The Sewing Machine
The first functional sewing machine was invented by the French tailor, Barthelemy Thimonnier, in 1830. In 1834, Walter Hunt built America's first (somewhat) successful sewing machine. Elias Howe patented the first lockstitch sewing machine in 1846. Isaac Singer invented the up-and-down motion mechanism. In 1857, James Gibbs patented the first chain-stitch single-thread sewing machine. Helen Augusta Blanchard patented the first zig-zag stitch machine in 1873.
9) The Light Bulb
Contrary to popular belief, Thomas Alva Edison didn't "invent" the light bulb, but rather he improved upon a 50-year-old idea. In 1809, Humphry Davy, an English chemist, invented the first electric light. In 1878, Sir Joseph Wilson Swan, an English physicist, was the first person to invent a practical and longer-lasting electic lightbulb (13.5 hours) with a carbon fiber filament. In 1879, Thomas Alva Edison invented a carbon filament that burned for forty hours.
10) Penicillin
Penicillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming in 1928. Andrew Moyer patented the first method of industrial production of penicillin in 1948.
Adhesives/Glue
Around 1750, the first glue patent was issued in Britain for a glue made from fish.

Adhesives Tape
Scotch Tape oe cellophane tape was invented in 1930 by banjo playing 3M engineer Richard Drew.

Aerosol Spray Cans
The concept of an aerosol originated as early as 1790.

Aibo
Aibo - the robotic pet.

Air Bags
In 1973, the General Motors research team invented the first car safety air bags that were first offered in the 1973 model Chevrolet as an option

Air Brakes
George Westinghouse invented air brakes in 1868.

Air Ships
The history behind balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Agriculture
Learn the hsitory behind agriculture innovations, tractors, cotton gins, reapers, plows, plant patents and more.

Air Bags
The history of automotive air bags.

Air Conditioning
Willis Carrier brought us the comfort zone with air conditioning.

Airplane/Aviation - Aeroplane
Wilbur and Orville Wright invented the airplane, which they patented as a "flying machine." Learn about other aviation related innovations including the history of seaplanes, flight suits, anti-gravity suits, ejection seats, airports and different airlines.

Alternating Current
Charles Proteus Steinmetz developed theories on alternating current that allowed for the rapid expansion of the electric power industry.

Alternative Energy
A list of articles related to the invention and the history of alternative, earth-friendly energy sources.

Altimeter
An instrument which measures vertical distance with respect to a reference level.

Aluminum Foil
The first mass-produced and widely used metal foil was made from tin. Tin foil was replaced by aluminum foil in 1910.

Aluminum Manufacturing Process
Charles Martin Hall discovered the electrolytic method of producing aluminum cheaply and brought the metal into wide commercial use.

Ambulance History
The concept of ambulance service started in Europe with the Knights of St. John.

Anemometer
In 1450, Leon Battista Alberti, the Italian artist and architect, invented the first mechanical anemometer. The anemometer is a device that measures wind speed.

Answering Machines
The history of answering machines.

Antiseptics
History of and key figures.

Apple Computers
The Apple Lisa was the first home computer with a GUI or graphical user interface. Learn about the history of the Apple Macintosh, the most famous Apple home computer.

Aqualung
The history of Scuba or diving equipment.

Arc Transmitter
Danish engineer, Valdemar Poulsen invented the arc transmitter in 1902. The arc transmitter, contrary to all previous types of radio transmitters in history, generated continuous radio waves.

Archimedes Screw
An archimedes screw is a machine for raising water, invented by the ancient Greek scientist and mathematician Archimedes.

Assembly Line
Eli Olds invented the basic concept of the assembly line and Henry Ford improved it.

Artificial Heart
Willem Kolff invented both the first artificial heart and the first artificial kidney dialysis machine. Read about the history of artificial hearts.

Asphalt
The history of roads, road building and asphalt.

History of Aspirin
In 1829, scientists discovered that it was the compound called salicin in willow plants, which is responsible for pain relief. But it was father of modern medicine, Hippocrates, who first discovered the pain relieving properties of the willow plant in the 5th century, B.C.

AstroTurf
James Faria and Robert Wright of Monsanto Industries co-invented AstroTurf in 1965.

Atari Computers
The history of the entertaining game computer.

ATM - Automatic Teller Machines
The history of automated teller machines (ATM).

Atomic Bomb
In 1939, Einstein and several other scientists told Roosevelt of efforts in Nazi Germany to build an atomic bomb. It was shortly thereafter that the United States Government began the Manhattan Project, whose research produced the first atomic bomb.

Audio Tape Recording
Marvin Camras invented the method and means of magnetic recording. The history of sound recording.

Automated Electrified Monorail Systems
Ronald Riley invented the automated electrified monorail system.

Automatic Doors
Dee Horton and Lew Hewitt invented the sliding automatic door in 1954.

Automobile
The history of the automobile spans over one hundred years -- the famous early car models, view timelines of automotive development and discover who made the first gasoline powered car.

Baby Carriage
The history of the baby carriage or stroller.

Bakelite
Leo Hendrik Baekeland patented a "Method of Making Insoluble Products of Phenol and Formaldehyde." Setting out to make an insulator, he invented the first true plastic and transformed the world.

Ball Point Pens
The ball-point pen was invented by Ladislo Biro in 1938. A patent battle erupted; learn how Parker and Bic won the war.

Ballistic Missile
A ballistic missile can be any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Balloons/Blimps
The history and patents behind airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Balloons (Toy)
The first rubber balloons were made in 1824 by Professor Michael Faraday for use in his experiments with hydrogen.

Band-Aid
Band-Aid® is the trademarked name for the 1920 invention belonging to Earle Dickson.

Bar Codes
The first patents for bar code were issued to Joseph Woodland and Bernard Silver on October 7, 1952.

Barbed Wire
Don't fence me in -- all about the invention, development, and use of barbed wire.

Barbie Doll
The Barbie doll was invented in 1959 by Ruth Handler.

Barometer
The barometer was invented by Evangelista Torricelli in 1643.

Baseball/Baseball Equipment
Baseball was invented by Alexander Cartwright. The history of baseball bats.

BASIC
BASIC (Beginner's All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was invented in 1964 by John Kemeny and Tom Kurtz.

Basketball
James Naismith invented and named the game of basketball in 1891.

Bathroom Related Innovations
The history of ancient and modern plumbing from around the world - baths, toilets, water closets and sewage systems.

Battery
2000 was the 201th anniversary of the invention of the battery by Alessandro Volta.

Beauty Innovations

Beds
The history of waterbeds, murphy beds and other kinds of beds. Lie down and read about the patents and ihistory behind beds.

Beer
We can trace the beginning of beer far back beyond the dawn of recorded time. Apparently, beer was the first alcoholic beverage known to civilization.

Blenders
Stephen Poplawski invented the kitchen blender.

Bic Pens
Learn about the history of Bic pens and other writing instruments.

Bicycle
The history of that foot-powered riding machine.

Bifocals
Eye glasses that see near and far.

Bikini
The bikini was invented in 1946 and named after the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, the site of the first atomic bomb testing. The designers of the bikini were two Frenchmen named Jacques Heim and Louis Reard.

Bingo
"Bingo" originated from a game called Beano.

Biofilters/Biofiltration
The first proposition to use biological methods to treat odorous compounds came as early as 1923.

Blood Bank
Dr. Charles Richard Drew was the first person to develop the blood bank.

Blue Jeans
Levi Strauss invented blue jeans.

Board Games
Puzzle over the history of board games and other brain teasers.

Boilers
Babcock and Wilcox co-invented the water tube steam boiler, a safer and more efficient boiler.

Boomerang
The history of the boomerang and complete instructions on how to make your own.

Bourdon Tube Pressure Gauge
In 1849, the Bourdon tube pressure gauge was patented by Eugene Bourdon.

Bra
It's 1913 and Mary Phelps Jacob's corset was not the undergarment to wear under her new shear evening gown.

Braces - Dental
The history of dental braces or the science of Orthodontics is complex, many different patents helped to create braces as we know them today.

Braille
Louis Braille invented braille printing.

Brush - Hair
Brushes were used as early as 2,500,000 years ago.

Bubble Gum
The invention and history of chewing gum, bubble gum, gum wrappers, gum tins and bubble gum machines.

Cabbage Patch Kids
In 1976, Xavier Roberts invented 'Little Person' dolls, the first Cabbage Patch Kids.

Calendars/Clocks
Learn about the invention of early clocks, calendars, the quartz watch, timekeeping devices and the science of time.

Calcium Carbide Process
Thomas Leopold Willson invented a process for Calcium Carbide.

Calculators
Timelines covering calculator patents since 1917. Learn about the history of Texas Instruments, the origins of the electronic calculator, the hand-held calculator and more.

Camera
The history of the camera - Camera Obscura, photography, the significant processes of photography, and who invented the polaroid and photographic film.

Can/Can Opener
A timeline of tin cans - learn how cans are made, filled and recycled. The history of the first can opener.

Candy
The history of candy.

Carborundum
Edward Goodrich Acheson invented carborundum. Carborundum is the hardest man-made surface and was needed to bring about the industrial age.

Card Games
The history of playing cards and card games like Uno.

Cardiac Pacemaker
Wilson Greatbatch invented an implantable cardiac pacemaker. Study the history of other cardiac devices.

Cars
The history of the automobile covers over one hundred years -- learn about the patents and famous car models, view timelines or read about the first gasoline powered car.

Carousels
The interesting history behind the carousel and other circus and theme park innovations.

Cash Register
James Ritty invented what was nicknamed the "Incorruptible Cashier" or the cash register.

Cassette Tape
In 1963, the Philips company became the first company to demonstrate the compact audio cassette.

Cat Eyes
Percy Shaw patented his road-safety invention called cat eyes, in 1934 when he was only 23.

Catheter
Thomas Fogarty invented the embolectomy balloon catheter. Betty Rozier and Lisa Vallino co-invented the intravenous catheter shield. Ingemar Henry Lundquist invented the over the wire balloon catheter that is used in the majority of angioplasty procedures in the world.

Cathode Ray Tube
Electronic television is based on the invention of the cathode ray tube, which is the picture tube found in modern television sets.

CAT-Scans
Robert Ledley invented "diagnostic X-Ray systems", known as CAT-Scans.

CCD
George Smith and Willard Boyle received a patent for Charge-Coupled Devices or CCDs.

Cellular Phones/Cell Phones
How the FCC slowed the progress of a cellular phone system.

Cellophane
Cellophane was invented by Jacques Brandenberger in 1908.

Chain Saw
The history behind the humble chain saw.

Chapstick
The history of chapstick - who invented chapstick and is it addictive?

The History of Cheerleading

Cheese in a Can
The history of "Cheese in a Can".

Cheese Slicer
The cheese-slicer is a Norwegian invention.

Chewing Gum
The history of chewing gum and bubble gum.

Chia Pet
Animal figurines have been designed which have live herbs that simulate the fur or hair of a particular animal.

Chinese Inventions
Learn about ancient Chinese technology and the history of Chinese inventions. Find lesson plans for teachers. Learn about the kite, chopsticks, umbrellas, gunpowder, firecrackers, the steelyard, abacus, cloisonné, ceramics, papermaking and more.

Chocolate
The history behind chocolate, chocolate bars and chocolate chip cookies.

Christmas Related Inventions
The history of candy canes, Christmas lights and Christmas trees.

Cigarettes/Cigarette Lighters
This history of tobacco related products.

Clocks
Learn about the invention of early clocks, calendars, the quartz watch, timekeeping devices and time measurement.

Cloning
Reproductive and therapeutic.

Closed Captioning
Television closed captions are captions that are hidden in the television video signal, invisible without a special decoder.

Clothing Innovations
The history of our clothes - blue jeans, the bikini, the tuxedo, fabrics, fasteners and more.

Coat Hangers
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869 by O. A. North.

Coca-Cola
"Coca-Cola" was invented by Dr. John Pemberton in 1886.

Cochlear Implants - Bionic Ear
The cochlear implant is a prosthetic replacement for the inner ear or cochlea.

Coffee
The history of the cultivation of coffee and innovations in brewing methods.

Cold Fusion Energy
Viktor Schauberger was the "father of cold fusion energy" and the designer of the first non-energy consuming "flying disc".

Color Television
Color television was by no means a new idea, a German patent in 1904 contained the earliest proposal - RCA color television system - Living Color.

Combustion Engine
History of the internal combustion engine.

Combustion Engine - Diesel
Rudolf Diesel was the father of the "diesel-fueled" internal combustion engine or diesel engine.

Comics
The history of comics.

Communication
History, timeline, and innovations.

Compact Disk
James Russell invented the compact disc in 1965. Russell was granted a total of 22 patents for various elements of his system.

Compass
The history of the magnetic compass, gyroscope compass, and the biography of Elmer Sperry.

Computers
An index to famous persons in the computer business, over twenty-six fully illustrated features cover the history of computers from 1936 until today.

Computer Keyboard

Computer Peripherals
Compact disks, the computer mouse, computer memory, disk drives, printers and other peripherals are discussed.

Computer Printers
The history of printers used with computers.

Computer Games
This history is more fun than a joy stick. Steve Russell invented the computer game called "SpaceWar." Nolan Bushnell invented the game called "Pong."

Computerized Banking
ERMA began as a project for the Bank of America in an effort to computerize the banking industry.

Concrete
Concrete was invented by Joseph Monier.

Construction Materials
The history of construction and building materials.

Contact Lenses
See the history of eyeglasses come alive - from the oldest known glass lens to modern contact lenses.

Cookies (Chocolate Chip, Fig Newton)
Enjoy some snack food history - learn how the Fig Newton got named.

Cordite
Sir James Dewar was the co-inventor of cordite, a smokeless gunpowder.

Corkscrews
Our illustrated history of cork extractors explains the origins of this humble invention, found in households all over the world.

Corn Flakes
The kooky history of Corn Flakes.

Cortisone
Percy Lavon Julian synthesized the medicines physostigmine for glaucoma and cortisone. Lewis Sarett invented a synthetic version of the hormone cortisone.

Cosmetics
The history of cosmetics and hair products.

Cotton (Naturally Colored)
Sally Fox invented naturally colored cotton.

Cotton Candy
The history of cotton candy - how they make cotton candy.

Cotton Gin

Cotton Swabs

Crash Test Dummies
GM developed this test device nearly 20 years ago, to provide a biofidelic measurement tool -- a crash dummy that behaves very similarly to human beings.

Crayons
Crayon history - from the Crayola Company whose founders invented the first crayon.

Cray Supercomputer
Seymour Cray was the inventor of the Cray Supercomputer.

Credit Cards
Spend some time on the history of money.

Cricket
The history of cricket and cricket equipment.

Crossword Puzzles
The crossword puzzle was invented by Arthur Wynne.

Cruise Control
Unstopped by his blindness, Ralph Teetor invented cruise control.

Cuisinart
Carl Sontheimer invented the Cuisinart.

Cyclotron
Ernest Lawrence invented the cyclotron, a device that greatly increased the speed with which projectiles could be hurled at atomic nuclei.

Dentistry Innovations
The history of false teeth, dentistry, the toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss and more.

Deodorants
The history of deodorants.

Depth Charge
The depth charge or bomb is a weapon used by ships or aircraft to attack submerged submarines. The first depth charges were developed by the British in World War I for use against German submarines.

Detergents
In the synthetic detergent industry is not easy to pinpoint exactly when the first synthetic detergents were invented.

Dewar Flask
Sir James Dewar invented the Dewar flask, the first thermos.

Diabetes Testing Kits
Helen Free received a patent for a home diabetes test. The history of insulin.

Dialysis Machine
Willem Kolff invented the artificial kidney dialysis machine. The history of kidney innovations.

Diapers (Disposable)
The convenient disposable diaper was invented by New Yorker Marion Donovan in 1950.

Diesel
Rudolf Diesel was the inventor of the diesel-fueled internal combustion engine.

Digital Camera
The history of the digital camera.

Dirigibles
The history of airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Dishwasher
Josephine Cochran invented the dishwasher in 1886.

Disposable Cell Phone

Diving Equipment

Donut/Doughnut
The history of the pastry with the hole in the middle.

Drinking Straws

Drive-In
Richard Hollingshead patented and opened the first drive-in theater.

Dr Pepper
In 1885, Charles Aderton invented the Dr Pepper soft drink. The history of soft drinks.

Dry Ice
Dry ice was discovered not invented - the name was trademarked by the first company to sell dry ice.

Duramold
Duramold is a process that involves laminating and molding thin sheets of veneer together. Howard Hughes' airplane called the Spruce Goose was made of Duramold.

DVD
Matshusita was the company mainly responsible for the development of DVD. The hsitory of DVD.

Dynamite
Alfred Nobel invented dynamite.

Earmuffs
Chester Greenwood, a grammar school dropout, invented earmuffs at the age of 15 and accumulated over 100 patents in his lifetime.

Ear Plugs
The history of ear plugs.

Easel
Painting with an easel was known to the ancient Egyptians.

Eating Utensils
The history of forks, spoons and knives.

Eight Track Tape
William Lear invented the eight track tape player and designed the Lear Jet.

ECG/EKG/Electrocardiography
Willem Einthoven received a patent for the ECG - a timeline of the invention and implementation.

Eiffel Tower
Gustave Eiffel built the Eiffel Tower for the Paris World's Fair of 1889, which honored the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution.

Elastic
In 1820, Thomas Hancock patented elastic fastenings for gloves, suspenders, shoes and stockings.

Elevator
Elisha Otis invented the "Improvement in Hoisting Apparatus" or elevator.

Electric Blanket
In 1936, the first automatic electric blanket was invented.

Electric Chair
The history and of the electric chair.

Electricity - Electronics
Several famous persons in the field of electricity and electrical theory are profiled. The history of electricity and electronics.

Electric Motor
Michael Faraday's big breakthrough in electricity development was his invention of the electric motor.

Electrochemical Paintbrush
Adam Cohen invented the "electrochemical paintbrush", nanotechnology used in etching microchips.

Electrogasdynamics Systems
Meredith Gourdine invented electrogasdynamics systems.

Electromagnet
An electromagnet is a device in which magnetism is produced by an electric current.

Electron Tubes

Electrophotography
The copy machine was invented by Chester Carlson.

Electroplating
Electroplating was invented in 1805 and paved the way for economical jewelry.

Electroscope
The electroscope - a device for detecting electric charge - was invented by Jean Nollet in 1748.

Email
Have you ever wondered what this @ in your email address is for?

Engines
Understanding how engines work and the history of engines.

Engraving
The history of engraving, a popular method of printing.

Erector Set
A.C. Gilbert invented the Erector Set, a child's building toy.

ERMA and MICR

Escalator
In 1891, Jesse Reno created a new novelty ride at Coney Island that led to the invention of the escalator.

The Etch-A-Sketch
The Etch-A-Sketch was developed in the late 1950s by Arthur Granjean.

Ethernet
Robert Metcalfe and Xerox team invented network computing.

Explosives
The history of explosives.

Eyeglasses
The history of the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate.

Fabrics
Denim, nylon, colored cotton, vinyl... the history behind these and other fabrics.

Farm Innovations
Innovations related to farms, agriculture, tractors, cotton gin, reapers, plows, plant patents and more.

Fasteners
The history of clothing fasteners - buttons, lacing, zippers, snaps, velcro and more.

Fax/Fax Machine/Facsimile
The facsimile was invented in 1842 by Alexander Bain.

Ferris Wheel
The history of the ferris wheel.

Fiber Optics
Fiber optics and the use of light to communicate.

Fig Newton Cookies
The history behind this tasty cookie.

Film
The history of photographic film.

Fingerprinting
One of the first significant developments in forensic science was identification by fingerprinting.

Fire - Alarm Engine Extinguisher Hose Ladder Pole
The history of many fire fighting innovations.

Firearms

Fireplace (Rumford)

Fishing Innovations
The history of fishing, rods, reels, baits and more.

Flashlight
The flashlight was invented in 1898, and the biblical quote of "Let There Be Light" was on the cover of the 1899, Eveready catalog.

Forensic Science Innovations
The history of significant developments in forensic science.

Floppy Disk
Alan Shugart nicknamed the first disk - the "Floppy" for its flexibility.

Fluorescent Lamps
The history of fluorescent lights and mercury vapor arc lamps.

Fly Swatter
Who first used the term "fly swatter"?

Flying Saucers
Yes, there are patents issued for flying saucers.

Flying Shuttle
John Kay invented the flying shuttle, an improvement to looms that enabled weavers to weave faster.

Food Inventions
The history of food. The story behind soup, sandwiches, pizza, pasta and other foods.

Football
The invention of football, American style.

Footbag

Fortran
The first high level programming language called fortran was invented by John Backus and IBM.

Fountain Pens
The history of fountain pens and other writing instruments.

Freezers

French Fries
"Potatoes, fried in the French Manner," is how Thomas Jefferson described a dish he brought over to the colonies in the late 1700s.

Freon
In 1928, Thomas Midgley and Charles Kettering invented a "Miracle Compound" called Freon. Freon is now infamous for greatly adding to the depletion of the earth's ozone shield.

Frisbee
How the empty pie plates of the Frisbie Baking Company became the early prototype for the world's funniest sport.

Freeze Drying/Freeze Dried Foods
The basic process of freeze-drying foods were known to the Peruvian Incas of the Andes. Freeze drying is the removal of water from food while the food is frozen.

Frozen Foods
Clarence Birdseye found a way to flash-freeze foods and deliver them to the public - several decades of frozen history.

Fuel Cells
Fuel cells were invented in 1839 by Sir William Grove, and are now becoming the power source for the 21st century. How fuel cells work.

Full Spectrum Lighting
John Ott was the pioneer of full spectrum lighting.

Garbage Bag
Harry Wasylyk invented the green garbage bag.

Gas Mask
The history of gas masks - Garrett Morgan, Cluny MacPherson, and more inventors.

The History of Gasoline
The history of automotive fuel.

Genetic Engineering
Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen invented a method of cloning genetically engineered molecules in foreign cells.

Geobond®
Patricia Billings invented a indestructible and fireproof building material.

Geodesic Domes
Geodesic domes were invented in 1954 by Richard Buckminster Fuller.

Gerber Variable Scale
Joseph Gerber invented the Gerber Variable Scale® and the GERBERcutter®.

Ghost Detectors
Who invented the ghost detector? the history of ghost detecting.

Glass - Glasses
Learn about glass throughout the ages from the bronze age to contemporary glass. Eye glasses from the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate and beyond.

Glue
Around 1750, the first glue patent was issued in Britain for a fish glue.

Golf
The game has advanced from one played with simple hand made clubs and leather balls stuffed with feathers to the game we know today, based on clubs designed by computer using advanced materials such as titanium and zirconia.

GPS/Global Positioning System
GPS or the Global Positioning System was invented by the U.S. Department of Defense

Graham Crackers
Sylvester Graham invented Graham Crackers in 1829.

Grain Elevator
In 1842, the first grain elevator was built in Buffalo, NY.

Gramophone
Emile Berliner invented the disk gramophone, the first record player to use disks. The history of the gramophone.

Grenade
The word "grenade" comes from the French word for pomegranate, early grenades looked like pomegranates.

Grocery Bag
Margaret Knight was an employee in a paper bag factory when she invented a new machine part to make square bottoms for paper bags.

Guitar
The history behind the universally popular string instrument played by plucking or strumming.

Guillotine
The history of the guillotine, the last execution and more.

Gum
The invention and history of chewing gum and bubble gum, gum wrappers, tins and bubble gum machines.

Guns

Gyroscope
The history of gyroscopes.

Hacky Sack

Hair Brush - Dye - Spray - Styling Tools

Hallmark Cards
Joyce Hall was a youthful picture-postcard peddler who became the big name in greeting cards.

Halloween Patents
See some amazing inventions patented in service of Halloween.

Halogen Lights
Also lightbulbs, lighting and other lamps.

Coat Hangers
Today’s wire coat hanger was inspired by a clothes hook patented in 1869, by O. A. North of New Britain, Connecticut.

Hardware Tools
The inventors behind several common household tools.

Harpsicord
The history behind musical instruments and their inventors.

Hats and Wigs

Helicopter
The history of helicopters.

Highways

Hills Hoist
A rotary clothes line developed and marketed by Australian, Lance Hill in 1945.

HIV Protease Inhibitors
First invented between 1989 and 1994.

Hockey
The game we know today was first played in Montreal in 1875, according to rules devised by a McGill student.

Hole Punch
C. B. Brooks patented an early paper punch, also called a ticket punch. It was the first ticket punch to have a built-in receptacle on one of the jars to collect the round pieces of waste paper and prevent littering.

Holography/Holograms
Holography is a photographic process, best known for the 3-dimensional images. Holograms are made using a laser and a light-sensitive material chemically similar to a photographic emulsion.

Home Innovations
The history of the common inventions you find inside your home.

Home Security
The first home security system was patented on December 2, 1969.

Horseshoe
The origin of iron horseshoes and horseshoe nails.

Hot Dogs
The history of hot dogs.

Hovercraft
The hovercraft was invented by Christopher Cockerell in 1956.

HTML
The history of hypertext markup language (HTML) is a strange and interesting tale.

Hula Hoop
The hula hoop was re-invented by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin.

Hydrogen Fuel Cells
Invented in 1839 by Sir William Grove, hydrogen fuel cells have now becoming the power source for the 21st century. How hydrogen cells work.

Hygrometer
A hygrometer is an instrument used to measure the moisture content or the humidity of air or any gas.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers
The history of hyperbaric oxygen chambers.

Hypodermic Needle or Syringe
What's the history behind this medical device

Jacuzzi
In 1968, Roy Jacuzzi invented and marketed the first self-contained, fully integrated whirlpool bath by incorporating jets into the sides of the tub. Jacuzzi® is the trademarked name for the invention.

Jacquard Loom
Weaved complex designs.

Janney Coupler
An improvement in railroad car couplers that became the standard for the railroad freightcar couplers used even today.

Java
Java is a programming language and environment written by Patrick Naughton, Mike Sheridan and James Gosling.

Created by Netscape programmer Brendan Eich.

Jet Ski
The jet ski was invented by Clayton Jacobsen II.

Jet Engine
Dr. Hans von Ohain and Sir Frank Whittle are recognized as the co-inventors of the jet engine.

Jigsaw Puzzles
The history of jigsaw puzzles - John Spilsbury created the first jigsaw puzzle in 1767.

Jukebox
The history of the jukebox.

Kaleidoscopes
The kaleidoscope was invented by Sir David Brewster and patented by him in 1817.

KaZaA
A second-generation peer-to-peer file-sharing service.

Kevlar
Stephanie Kwolek invented a material five times stronger than steel.

Keyboard

Kinescope
Vladimir Zworykin invented a type of cathode-ray tube called the kinescope in 1929, a tube needed for television transmission.

Kitchen Appliances
Who invented the refrigerator, dishwasher, microwave oven and other kitchen appliances?

Kitty Litter
Edward Lowe made the trademark name of Kitty Litter® part of the American vocabulary.

KOOL-AID
Edwin Perkins invented kool-aid in 1927.

Kraft Foods
For over two hundred years, many companies have merged to create Kraft Foods, the company it is today. Read about the many "firsts" in the heritage of Kraft.

Laptop Computer
The history of the laptop.

Laser
Gordon Gould received a patent for the laser - the history of lasers from 1917 to the present.

Laser Disc

Laser Printers
The history of computer laser printers.

Lava Lamp
Post-war England was the perfect backdrop for Craven Walker to create this swinging 60's icon.

Lawn Mowers
The first patent for a "machine for mowing lawns" was granted to Edwin Beard Budding on August 31, 1830.

LCD - Liquid Crystal Display
James Fergason invented liquid crystal display.

Letter Box
Philip Downing invented the letter drop letter box in 1891. The history of the mail.

Lie Detector

Life Savers Candy
The history of the candy called life savers.

Light Microscope

Lightbulbs/Lighting/Lamps
Read about the history of lighting - including fluorescent lamps, halogen lights, lightbulbs, mercury vapor lighting and tungsten wire.

Lisa Computers
The first home computer with a GUI or graphical user interface was Apple's Lisa.

Liquid Paper
Bette Graham received a patent for "Liquid Paper".

Liquid Soap
The original liquid soap was introduced in 1980.

Locks
While the original inventor of the lock is lost in history, there are many inventors and patents still found on record.

Loudspeakers
The history of music speakers.

Lunchbox (Metal)
The first metal lunchbox produced was the Hopalong Cassidy created by the Aladdin company in 1950.

Macintosh Computer
Learn the history behind the famous Apple home computer.

Mackintosh Raincoat
The mackintosh raincoat was named after Charles Macintosh.

Magnetic Core Memory
Kenneth Olsen invented "Magnetic Core Memory".

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Magnets
These are natural stones and are not inventions. However, the machines that we make with magnets are inventions.

Mail Order Catalog
Aaron Montgomery Ward sent out his first mail order catalog in 1872.

Mail-Related Innovations
William Barry invented the postmarking and canceling machine. William Purvis invented the hand stamp. Philip Downing invented the letter-drop letter box. Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp in 1837.

Marshmallows
The history of marshmallows.

Maser Laser
Arthur Schawlow received a patent for the maser laser.

Matches
John Walker brought the power of Prometheus to our fingertips.

Mathematics
Learn about the history of math and the inventions associated with mathematics.

MDMA
MDMA or ecstasy began as a 1913 patent belonging to the Merck Chemical Company.

Measuring Tools
From Noah's ark to modern times, read about the history of measurement and measuring tools.

Medical Innovations
The history behind many key medical innovations.

Megaphones
Cecile B DeMille was the first director to use a megaphone on the movie set.

Mercury Vapor Lighting
Read about the history of mercury lighting - also the lightbulb, lighting and other lamp inventions.

Metal Detector
Alexander Graham Bell invented the first crude metal detector in 1881. The portable metal detector was invented by Gerhard Fischar in 1931.

ERMA and MICR

Microchip or Integrated Circuit
The integrated circuit was co-invented by Jack Kilby and Robert Noyce.

The History of Microphones
The first microphone was a telephone transmitter invented by Emile Berliner for Alexander Graham Bell in 1876. With the invention of the radio, new broadcasting microphones were created. Microphone FAQ - Microphone Basics - How They Work - Types of Microphones - Early Microphones

Microprocessor
The Intel 4004 was the first microprocessor.

Microscope

Microbiology Innovations
Timeline and profiles on inventors related to microscopy, culture methods, germ theory of disease, defense or control of microbes and molecular methods.

Microwave Oven
The microwave oven was invented by Percy Spencer.

Mills

Miniature Golf
Garnet Carter was the first person to patent a game of miniature golf called "Tom Thumb Golf" in 1927.

Mirrors
Mirrors made by coating flat glass with silver or gold foil dates from Roman times.

Missile Systems
Missile systems are any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Mobile/Cellular Phones
How the FCC slowed the progress of a mobile cellular phone system.

Mobile Homes
Mobile homes as we know them today began in 1926 with automobile-pulled trailers or "Trailer Coaches" designed as a home away from home during camping trips.

Modems
The history of modems along with some historical trivia about email.

Money
The past, present and future history of money.

Monopoly
Charles Darrow became the first millionaire game designer, after he sold his Monopoly patent to Parker Brothers.

Moonpies
The history of moonpies, a tasty pastry.

Morse Code
Samuel Morse invented morse code, an electronic alphabet patented in 1840.

Motion Picture Innovations
Learn about the early history of the cinema, camera, projectors etc.

Motorcycles
The history of the first motorcycles - Gottlieb Daimler and the first practical motorcycle - online motorcycle museum - motorcycle history.

Computer Mouse
Douglas Engelbart nicknamed his invention the mouse because the tail came out off the end.

Mousetraps
Old drawings of mousetrap patents.

MRI Scanner

Musical Instruments
The history behind different musical instruments and the inventors.

My Little Pony
My Little Ponies® is the registered trademark belonging to Hasbro Industries for their very popular toy pony.

Nail Polish
The history of nail polish.

Native American Inventors/Inventions
Native American inventions and achievements in science - native technology both ancient, modern and revived.

Nautical-Related Innovations
The history of buoys and tenders, fog horns, fishing industry innovations, sailing ships and more.

Neckties
The history of neckties - the honor of father of modern necktie construction goes to the American tie manufacturer Jesse Langsdorf, who in 1920 patented the all-weather, wrinkle-free tie.

Neon
Los Vegas should build a shrine to these early inventors.

Neutronic Reactor
Enrico Fermi invented the neutronic reactor.

Nintendo
Interesting history even if you have never touched a joystick.

Nipkow Disk
In 1884, Paul Nipkow invented a rotating-disk technology to transmit pictures over wire called the Nipkow Disk. This was the very first electromechanical television scanning system. Nipkow's system was abandoned early in the history of the television for the electronic systems developed by later inventors.

Nuclear Innovations
Inventors and innovations surrounding nuclear physics.

Nylon/Neoprene
A brilliant and tragic mind, Carothers was the brains behind Dupont and the birth of synthetic fibers.

Nystatin
Rachel Brown and Elizabeth Hazen co-invented the world's first useful antifungal antibiotic called Nystatin.

Ocarina
Giuseppe Donati invented the modern 10-hole ocarina.

Oceanography - Innovations and History
Although oceanography has been recognized as a formal scientific discipline for only 150 years, the quest for this understanding and its practical application to commerce and war - often unwitting - goes back much further.

Odometer
History of the odometer.

Office Innovations
Paperclips, typewriters, computers -- how many inventions are there in the office?

Optical Analysis System
Ellen Ochoa invented the optical analysis system.

Optical Diagnostic Equipment
Tuan Vo-Dinh invented optical diagnostic equipment. Vo-Dinh's patents were for a badge worn on a worker's shirt that recorded exposure to toxic chemicals and for a optical scanner that would read that badge.

Optical Disc

Oral Contraceptives
The inventors behind the first oral contraceptives.

Orgone Accumulator
Dr Wilhelm Reich invented the orgone accumulator.

O-Ring
Today's dynamic o-ring was the result of experimental work done in the early 1930's by Mr. Niels Christensen.

Outboard Motor
Ole Evinrude invented the outboard motor.

Pacemaker
John Hopps invented the first cardiac pacemaker.

Package Saver
Have you ever wondered, "who invented the circular thing that keeps the pizza from hitting the inside of the box top?"

Pagers
A pager is a dedicated RF (radio frequency) device.

Paige Typesetter
A competitor to the linotype machine was the Mark Twain funded paige typesetter.

Paintball
The history and invention of Paintball.

Paint Roller
The paint roller was invented by Norman Breakey of Toronto in 1940.

Panty Hose
The history of panty hose.

Paper/Papermaking/Paper Sacks or Bags
The history of paper, papermaking and paper sacks; the patents and persons behind the different processes.

Paperclip
A history of the paperclip.

Paper Punch
History of the paper punch.

Paper Towels
Who invented paper towels and other kitchen innovations.

Parachutes
Louis Sebastien Lenormand is credited with being the first person to demonstrate the principle of the parachute in 1783.

Parking Meter
Carl Magee invented the first parking meter in 1932.

Particle Accelerators
The history of particle accelerators.

Pasta
The history of pasta.

Pasteurization
Louis Pasteur invented pasteurization.

PCR
Kary Mullis received a patent for PCR, the process for amplifying nucleic acids.

PCS
Learn about PCS technology (Personal Communication Services) or digital cellular phones.

Peanut Butter
The history of peanut butter.

Penicillin
The history of the drug penicillin and how it works. Penicillin was discovered by Alexander Fleming. Andrew Moyer patented the industrial production of penicillin. John Sheehan invented a synthesis of natural penicillin.

Pens/Pencils
The history of pens and other writing instruments (including pencil sharpeners and erasers).

Pepsi-Cola
"Pepsi-Cola" was invented by Caleb Bradham in 1898.

Pentothal
Donalee Tabern and Ernest Volwiler co-invented the general anesthetic, Pentothal.

Periodic Table
The history of the periodic table.

Periscope
The history of the periscope.

Perfume
The history behind perfume.

Perpetual Motion Machine
The USPTO will not patent a perpetual motion machine.

Petroleum Refining
Edith Flanigen received a patent for a petroleum refining method, and was one of the most inventive chemists of all time.

Pez Candy
Don't forget someone had to have invented the Pez dispenser - smile and enjoy.

Phillips Head Screw
The Phillips head screw was the brainchild of Henry Phillips. He invented the new screw to work better with power screwdrivers.

Phone-Card-Phone

Phonograph
The word "phonograph" was Edison's tradename for his musical playback device, which played wax cylinders rather than flat disks.

Photocopier
The photocopier was invented by Chester Carlson.

Phototypesetting
Louis Moyroud and Rene Higonnet invented the first practical phototypesetting machine.

Photography
Learn about the Camera Obscura, the history of photography, the significant processes, polaroid photography and the invention of photographic film.

Photovoltics/Photoluminescence
Inventions related to photovoltics or photoluminescence.

Piano
The history of the piano.

Piggy Bank
The piggy bank's origin owes more to the history of language.

Pill
The patents and people behind the first oral contraceptives.

Pillsbury Doughboy
On October, 1965, Pillsbury debuted the loveable 14-ounce, 8 3/4-inch character in a Crescent Roll commercial.

Pinball
The history of pinball.

Pizza
The history of pizza.

Plastic
Learn about the history of plastic, the uses for and the making of plastic, plastic in the fifties and more.

Play-Doh
Noah McVicker and Joseph McVicker invented Play-Doh in 1956.

Pliers - Tongs, Pincers, Plyers
Simple pliers are an ancient invention. Two sticks probably served as the first uncertain holders, but bronze bars may have replaced wooden tongs as early as 3000 BC.

Plow
John Deere invented the self-polishing cast steel plow.

Plumbing
Learn about ancient and modern plumbing from around the world - bathes, toilets, water closets.

Pneumatic Tube/Pneumatic Devices
A pneumatic device is any of various tools and instruments that generate and utilize compressed air.

Pogo Stick
Legend and history of the jumping toy.

Polaroid Photography
Polaroid photography was invented by Edwin Land.

Police Technology
The methods and techniques of, and the equipment available to, police agencies.

Polio Vaccine
History of the polio vaccine and biography of polio researcher Jonas Salk.

Polyester
Polyethylene terephthalate created synthetic fibers such as polyester dacron and terylene.

Polygraph

Polystyrene
Polystyrene is a strong plastic created from erethylene and benzine that can be injected, extruded or blow molded, making it a very useful and versatile manufacturing material.

Polyurethane
Polyurethane is an organic polymer.

Pom Poms

Popsicle
The history of the popsicle.

Post-It Notes
Arthur Fry invented Post-It Notes as a temporary bookmarker.

Postal Innovations
William Barry invented the postmarking and canceling machine. William Purvis invented the hand stamp. Philip Downing invented the letter-drop letter box. Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp.

Potato Chips
Potato chips were invented in 1853.

Poulsen Arc Transmitter
The arc transmitter was invented by Valdemar Poulsen in 1902.

Power Loom
Edmund Cartwright was a cleric who invented the power loom.

Printers (Computer)
The history of computer printers.

Printing
Learn about the history of printing and printer technology.

Prony Brake
Gaspard de Prony invented the Prony brake or dynamometer.

Prosthetics
The history of prosthetics and amputation surgery begins at the very dawning of human medical thought.

Prozac
Prozac® is the registered trademarked name for fluoxetine hydrochloride and the world's most widely prescribed antidepressant.

Pumpkin Carving Kits
The art and history of pumpkin carving.

Punch Cards
Herman Hollerith invented a punch-card tabulation machine system for statistical computation.

Push Pins
Edwin Moore invented the push-pin.

Puzzles
Learn the history behind the crossword and other brain-teasing puzzles.

PVDC
The origins of Saran Wrap® (PVDC) film and the history of the Dow Chemical Company.

PVC
Waldo Semon invented a way to make polyvinyl chloride or vinyl useful.

Q-tips

Quartz Watch
View an historical timeline on the invention of the quartz watch.

QWERTY
QWERTY is the name for the layout of typewriter keys.

RADAR/Doppler RADAR
The history of RADAR and Doppler RADAR.

Radio
The history of the radio.

Radiovision
Charles Jenkins invented a mechanical television system called radiovision and claimed to have transmitted the earliest moving silhouette images on June 14, 1923.

Railroad Related Innovations
The history of railroads and railroad related innovations.

RAM
Intel's 1103 was the world's first available dynamic RAM chip.

Razors
The history of shaving time line - safety razors, mechanical razors, electric razors, razors for women and more.

Reaper
In 1831, Cyrus McCormick invented the first commercially successful reaper, a horse-drawn machine that harvested wheat.

Refrigerators

Remote Controls
The first television remote control called "Lazy Bones" was invented in 1950 by Zenith.

Respirators
The first respirator was called the "iron lung". It was invented by Philip Drinker and Louis Agassiz Shaw in 1927.

Revolvers
The history of the revolver.

Roads

Robots
How science fiction has become science fact.

Robot Ants
James McLurkin invented microrobots that work together as a community.

Rockets (Missiles)
Any of a variety of weapons systems that deliver explosive warheads to their targets by means of rocket propulsion.

Rocket (Space Travel)
Robert Goddard invented liquid-fueled rockets and a control mechanism for rocket apparatus.

Rodeo Innovations
Earl Bascom invented and manufactured the rodeo's first one-hand bareback rigging.

Rollercoasters
John Miller was the 'Thomas Edison" of rollercoasters.

Roller Skates
The history of roller skates began as a way to ice skate on land.

Rolodex
Alfred Neustadter invented the Rolodex.

Root Beer
The history of root beer.

Rubber
The strange story of rubber - also the history of rubber stamps, rubber erasers, rubber balloons and more.

Rubik's Cube
There is only one correct answer and 43 quintillion wrong ones to the most popular puzzle in history.

Ruby Laser System
Theodore Harold Maiman received a patent for the Ruby Laser System.

Rumford Fireplace

Safety Pin
The safety pin was invented by Walter Hunt in 1849.

Sailboards
The very first sailboards date back to the late 1950s.

Sandwich
The origins of the sandwich.

Saran Wrap
The origins of Saran Wrap film and the history of the Dow Chemical Company.

Satellites
History changed on October 4, 1957, when the former Soviet Union successfully launched Sputnik I. The world's first artificial satellite was about the size of a basketball, weighed only 183 pounds, and took about 98 minutes to orbit the Earth on its elliptical path.

Saxophone
The history of the saxophone.

Scanning and Sorting Machine
Jacob Rabinow received a patent for a automated scanning and sorting machine.

Scanning Tunneling Microscope - STM
Gerd Karl Binnig and Heinrich Rohrer are the inventors of the STM, which provided the first images of individual atoms.

Scissors
There is history behind this cutting invention.

Scooters
The invention of scooters.

Scotch Tape
Scotch Tape was patented by the banjo playing, 3M engineer, Richard Drew.

Scotchgard
Patsy Sherman received a patent for scotchgard.

Screws and Screwdrivers
Early wooden screws - Archimedes Screw - Phillips Head Screw - Robertson Screw - Square Drive Screws - screwdrivers.

Scuba Diving Equipment

Sea-cretion
Wolf Hilbertz patented sea-cretion, a construction material made from the electrolytic deposition of minerals from seawater.

Seat Belts
Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849.

Seaplane
On March 28, 1910, the first successful seaplane take-off from water at Martinque, France.

Seismograph
John Milne was the English seismologist and geologist who invented the first modern seismograph and promoted the building of seismological stations.

Self-Cleaning House
This amazing home was invented by Frances Gabe.

Seven-Up
Seven-Up is the bubbling lemon lime drink invented by Charles Grigg.

Sewing Machines
The history behind sewing machines.

Shrapnel
Shrapnel is a type of antipersonnel projectile named after the inventor, Henry Shrapnel.

Shoes/Shoelaces/Sandals/Sneakers
An interesting tale of the sole - "As late as 1850 most shoes were made on absolutely straight lasts, there being no difference between the right and the left shoe." Learn about the history of footwear and shoe making technology

Shoe Manufacturing Machine
Jan Matzeliger developed an automatic method for lasting shoes and made the mass production of affordable shoes possible.

Shopping Innovations
Who created the first shopping mall and other trivia.

Silly Putty
Silly Putty is a result of history, engineering, an accident and entrepreneurship.

Sign Language
The history of sign language.

Pyrotechnic Signaling System
Martha Coston invented a system of maritime signal flares.

Skyscrapers
The skyscraper like many other architectural forms, evolved over a long period of time.

Skateboard
A short history of the skateboard.

Skates (Ice)
The oldest pair of ice skates known, date back to 3000 B.C.

Skiing Equipment
There is a long history behind the sport of Skiing. The idea of skiing dates as far back as the stone-age period.

Pullman Sleeping Car
The Pullman sleeping car (train) was invented by George Pullman in 1857.

Sliced Bread
The history of sliced bread and the toaster, the best thing since sliced bread, but actually invented before sliced bread.

Slide Ruler
Before we had calculators, we had slide rulers.

Slinky
The slinky was invented by Richard and Betty James.

Slot Machines
The first mechanical slot machine was the Liberty Bell, invented in 1895 by Charles Fey

Smart Gels
Toyoichi Tanaka received a patent for Smart Gels, a synthetic (polyacrylamide) polymer gel with unusual properties.

Smart Pills
The name of smart pill now refers to any pill that can deliver or control its delivery of medicine without the patient having to take action beyond the initial swallow.

Smoke Detectors
The first battery operated home smoke detector was patented in 1969, Randolph Smith and Kenneth House.

Snack Foods
Snack food history - pretzels, popcorn, ice cream, soft drinks, gum and more.

Sneakers
Modern athletic shoes were designed by Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight.

Snowblower
Canadian, Arthur Sicard invented the snowblower in 1925.

Snowmaking Machines
The history of snowmaking machines and facts about making snow.

Snowmobile
In 1922, Joseph-Armand Bombardier developed the type of sport machine that we know today as the snowmobile.

Soaps
Soap making was known as early as 2800 B.C. - in the synthetic detergent industry it is not as easy to pinpoint exactly when the first detergents were invented.

Soccer
Not much is known about the origin of soccer, however, football and ball kicking games were played by the ancient Greeks and Romans.

Soda Fountain
In 1819, the "soda fountain" was patented by Samuel Fahnestock.

Softball
George Hancock invented softball.

Soft Drinks
An introduction to the history of soft drinks including Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola and the history behind other pop drinks.

Software
The history of different software programs.

Solar-Powered Cars - Solar Panels - Photovoltics
In 1839, Edmund Becquerel, a French physicist was the first person to observe the photovoltaic effect. Solar-powered electric demonstration vehicles were first built by universities and manufacturers during the late eighties.

Sonar
Experience the history of Sonar.

S.O.S Soap Pads
Ed Cox invented a pre-soaped pad with which to clean pots.

Sound Recording

Soup
Where did soup come from.

Spacesuits
The history of spacesuits.

Spark Plugs
The history of spark plugs.

Spectacles
The history of eyeglasses from the oldest known glass lens to the first pair of spectacles invented by Salvino D'Armate and beyond.

Spectrograph
George Carruthers received a patent for the far-ultraviolet camera and the spectrograph.

Spectrometer
The history of the spectrometer.

Spinning Jenny
Hargreaves patented the spinning jenny used for weaving yarn.

Spinning Mule
Samuel Crompton invented the spinning mule.

Spinning Wheel
The spinning wheel is an ancient machine that turned fibers into thread or yarn, which were then woven into cloth on a loom. The spinning wheel was probably invented in India, though its origins are obscure.

Spork
The spork is half spoon and half fork.

Sports
Yes, there are patents involved with sports.

Sporting Goods Innovations
Learn who invented the skateboard, the frisbee, sneakers, the bicycle, the boomerang and other sporting goods.

Sprinkler Systems
The first fire sprinkler system was invented by American, Henry Parmalee in 1874.

Stamps
Rowland Hill invented the postage stamp in 1837, an act for which he was knighted.

Stapler
Brass paper fasteners were introduced in the mid-1860s, and by 1866 George W. McGill had developed a machine to insert these fasteners into papers. The first stapling machine with a magazine that held a supply of preformed wire staples that were fed automatically to the staple-driving mechanism was patented in 1878.

Statue of Liberty
Bartholdi was a French sculptor born in Alsace - He created many monumental sculptures - his most famous work was the Statue of Liberty.

Steamboats
Robert Fulton invented the first successful steamboat on August 7, 1807.

Steam Engines
Thomas Newcomen invented the atmospheric steam engine in 1712 - steam engine history and information on the men and women involved with steam engines.

Steel
Henry Bessemer invented the first process for mass-producing steel inexpensively.

Sterotyping
William Ged invented stereotyping in 1725. Sterotyping is a process in which a whole page of type is cast in a single mold so that a printing plate can be made from it.

Stoves
The history of stoves.

Straws

Street Sweeper
C. B. Brooks invented an improved street sweeper truck and patented it on March 17, 1896.

Styrofoam®
What we commonly call styrofoam, is actually the most recognizable form of foam polystyrene packaging.

Submarines
Study the evolution of submarine design, from the submarine's beginning as a compressed air or human-powered warship to today's nuclear-powered subs.

Sugar Processing Evaporator
The sugar processing evaporator was invented by Norbert Rillieux.

Sunglasses
Around the year 1752, James Ayscough introduced his spectacles with lenses made of tinted glass.

Supercomputer
Seymour Cray and the Cray Supercomputer.

Superconductors
In 1986, Alex Müller and Johannes Bednorz patented the first high-temperature superconductor.

Super Soaker
Lonnie Johnson invented the Super Soaker® a squirt gun. Johnson also patented thermodynamics systems.

Suspenders
The first patent ever issued for modern suspenders, the kind with the familiar metal clasp was patent by Roth.

Swimming Pools
The history of swimming pools - the first heated swimming pool was built by Gaius Maecenas of Rome.

Syringe
The history behind this medical device.

Tagamet
Graham Durant, John Emmett and Charon Ganellin co-invented Tagamet. Tagamet inhibits the production of stomach acid.

Tampons
The history of tampons.

Tape Recorders

Tattoo
Samuel O'Reilly and the history of inventions related to tattoos.

Tea
The history of tea, tea bags, tea drinking customs and more.

Teddy Bear
Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt, the 26th president of the United States, is the person responsible for giving the teddy bear his name.

Teflon
Roy Plunkett invented tetrafluoroethylene polymers or Teflon.

Tekno Bubbles
Tekno Bubbles are a rave innovative variation on the old blowing bubbles, but these bubbles glow under black lights and can smell like raspberries.

Telegraph/Telegraphy
Samuel Morse invented the telegraph. The general history of telegraphy.

Telephone
The history of the the telephone and telephone related devices.

Telephone Switching System
Erna Hoover invented the computerized telephone switching system.

Telescope
A spectacle maker probably assembled the first telescope. Hans Lippershey of Holland is often credited with the invention of the telescope, but he almost certainly was not the first person to make one.

Television
The history of television - color television, satellite broadcasts, remote controls and other television related inventions.

Tennis
In 1873, Walter Wingfield invented a game called Sphairistikè (Greek for "playing ball) which evolved into modern outdoor tennis.

Tetracycline
Lloyd Conover invented the antibiotic tetracycline, which became the most prescribed broad spectrum antibiotic in the United States.

Theme Parks
The history of the carousel, rollercoaster and other circus and theme park innovations.

Thermometer
The first thermometers were called thermoscopes. In 1724, Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, the modern thermometer.

Thermos
Sir James Dewar was the inventor of the Dewar flask, the first thermos.

Timekeeping/Time Measurement
The history of timekeeping innovations and time measurement.

Timken
Henry Timken received a patent for the Timken or tapered roller bearings.

Tidal Plants
The rise and fall of the sea level can power electric-generating equipment.

Tires
The history of tires.

Toaster
The best thing since sliced bread, but actually invented before sliced bread.

Tobacco
A history of the use of tobacco and the invention of tobacco related innovations.

Toilets
The history of toilets and plumbing.

Toilet Paper
I get asked who invented toilet paper quite often, here is the answer.

Tom Thumb Locomotive
The history of the inventor of the Tom Thumb locomotive and Jello.

Tools
The history behind several common household tools.

Toothpaste/Toothbrush/Toothpick
Who invented false teeth, dentistry, toothbrush, toothpaste, toothpicks and dental floss.

Automatic Totalizator
The automatic totalizator is a system that totals the investments on runners, horses, betting pools and pays out dividends; invented by Sir George Julius in 1913.

Touch Screen Technology
The touch screen is one of the easiest to use and most intuitive of all PC interfaces, making it the interface of choice for a wide variety of applications.

Toys
The history behind several toy inventions - including how some toys were invented, how others got their names and how famous toy companies began.

Tractors
A history of tractors, bulldozers, forklifts and related machinery.

Traffic Signal (Morgan)
Garrett Morgan patented a hand-cranked traffic management device.

Traffic Signals (General)
The world's first traffic lights were installed near London's House of Commons in 1868.

Trampoline
The history of the trampoline, carousel, rollercoaster and other circus and theme park innovations.

Transistor
John Bardeen, Walter Brattain and William Shockley co-invented the transistor in 1947.

Transportation
The history and timeline of different transportation innovations - cars, bikes, planes, and more.

Trillian
The king of instant messengers.

Trivial Pursuit
Trivial Pursuit was invented by Canadians Chris Haney and Scott Abbott.

Trumpet
The history of the trumpet.

TTY, TDD or Tele-Typewriter
The history of TTY.

Tungsten Wire
The history of tungsten wire used in lightbulbs.

Tupperware
Tupperware was invented by Earl Tupper.

Tuxedo
The tuxedo was invented by Pierre Lorillard of New York City.

Umbrella
The Chinese invented the umbrella by waxing their made-for-the-sun paper parasols, to create rain protection. More recent umbrella developments are discussed.

Vaccination Needle
Benjamin Rubin invented the "Pronged Vaccinating and Testing Needle."

Vacuum Cleaner
The history of the vacuum cleaner.

Vacuum Packed Canning
Amanda Jones re-invented American food production by inventing vacuum packed canning.

Vacuum Tubes

Velcro
Mother Nature could not have made it better herself.

Vending Machines
The first commercial coin-operated vending machine was introduced in London in the early 1880s; it dispensed post cards.

Venetian Blinds
The history behind venetian blinds.

Viagra - The Patenting of an Aphrodisiac
To the researchers of Viagra - life might seem cruel.

Video Recorders/Video Tape/Video Camera
The history of the first practical videotape recorder (VTR) - audio and video magnetic recording history - video cameras.

Video Games
The history of video games is interesting even if you have never touched a joystick.

VisiCalc
VisiCalc, the first computer spreadsheet program, was released to the public in 1979.

Vitamins (Discovery or Synthesized and Production Methods)
The history of vitamins.

Vinyl
Waldo Semon invented a way to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC) useful - the history of vinyl.

Volleyball
Volleyball was invented by William Morgan in 1895.

Voting Machines
The history of voting machines - paper ballots - mechanical lever machines - punch cards - optical scan - direct recording electronic.

Walkie Talkie
History and information on the walkie talkie radio.

Walkman
The history of the Sony Walkman.

Washing Machines
The earliest washing "machine" - the scrub board - was invented in 1797.

Watches
The invention of the quartz watch, mechanical clocks, timekeeping devices and time measurement.

Water Based Fuels
Rudolf Gunnerman invented water based fuels.

Water Fountain - Water Cooler
The modern drinking fountain was invented and then manufactured in the early 1900s.

Water Frames
It was the first powered textile machine and enabled the move away from small home manufacturing towards factory production.

Water Heaters
Edwin Ruud invented the automatic storage water heater in 1889.

Water Mills
The history and workings of water mills, windmills, paper mills and other types of mills.

Water Wheel
The water wheel is an ancient device that uses flowing or falling water to create power by means of a set of paddles mounted around a wheel.

Waterskiing
Waterskiing was invented in 1922 by Ralph Samuelson, an eighteen-year-old from Minnesota. Samuelson proposed the idea that if you could ski on snow, then you could ski on water.

WD-40
Norm Larsen invented WD-40 in 1953.

Weather Instruments
The history and patents behind different weather measuring instruments.

WebTV
The history of WebTV.

Welding Tools and Welding History
In 1885, Nikolai Benardos and Stanislav Olszewski were granted a patent for an electric arc welder with a carbon electrode called the Electrogefest. Benardos and Olszewski are considered the fathers of welding apparatus.

Wheel
Everyone kept asking me who invented the wheel; here is the answer.

Wheelbarrow
Chuko Liang of China is considered to be the creator of the wheelbarrow.

Wheelchairs
In 1932, Harry Jennings built the first folding, tubular-steel wheelchair.

Wigs

Windmills

Windows
The history of Microsoft's graphical user interface for personal computers.

Windshield Wipers
Mary Anderson invented windshield wipers. The history of cars.

Windsurfing
Windsurfing or boardsailing is a sport that combines sailing and surfing and uses a one person craft called a sailboard.

White-out
Bette Nesmith Graham invented white-out.

Word Processing
The origins of word processing programs - from a rising WordStar.

Wrenches - Monkey - Ratchetless
Solymon Merrick patented the first wrench in 1835.

Wristies
KK Gregory is the ten-year-old inventor of Wristies.

Writing Instruments
The history of pens and other writing instruments.

Xerox/Xerography
The invention that no one wanted at first; yet it changed the world.

X-Rays
The history of the X-Ray. Diagnostic X-Ray systems were invented by Robert Ledley. The X-Ray tube was invented by William Coolidge.

Yellow Pages
In 1886, Reuben H. Donnelly produced the first Yellow Pages directory. The history of the telephone.

Yo-Yo
The history of the Yo-Yo.

Zamboni
The history of the Zamboni, the original ice cleaning machine invented by Frank Zamboni.

Zeppelins
The history and inventors behind all airships, balloons, blimps, dirigibles and zeppelins.

Zipper
The history of the zipper - original patents and prototypes of the zipper.

yea. that's pretty funny. i don't see anything about harmful, manmade drugs in there though.

Nimrod's Son
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM

yea. that's pretty funny. i don't see anything about harmful, manmade drugs in there though. How should this medicine be used?
Ibuprofen comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth

What side effects can this medication cause?

headache
dizziness
nervousness
upset stomach
stomach pain or cramps
vomiting
constipation
diarrhea
gas
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

bloody vomit
bloody diarrhea or black, tarry stools
ringing in the ears
blurred vision
swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
skin rash
itching

meow
04-14-2005, 12:09 PM

anyone who would compare the negative effects of pot to the negative effects of e. dumbass. i meant anyone that would put e in the same ball park as pot.

newsflash - your precious government did by making them both illegal.... and i believe that they carry the same penalties in the states for possession and trafficking (i could be wrong).

meow
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
How should this medicine be used?

headache
dizziness
nervousness
upset stomach
stomach pain or cramps
vomiting
constipation
diarrhea
gas

bloody vomit
ringing in the ears
blurred vision
skin rash
itching

I laughed so hard when i read the word 'gas' hahahaha

but regardless, i'm glad someone posted this.

meow
04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
DRUGZ R BAD, MMMKAY?????

Lovecraft
04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
How should this medicine be used?

headache
dizziness
nervousness
upset stomach
stomach pain or cramps
vomiting
constipation
diarrhea
gas

bloody vomit
ringing in the ears
blurred vision
skin rash
itching

are you trying to prove my point? i haven't said a good thing about any man made drugs (except a little about LSD) yet so why would i start with ibuprofen? man made ibuprofen and there's a list of all the shit it can do... so, what were you trying to prove again?

meow
04-14-2005, 04:49 PM

(except a little about LSD)

you just blew your whole legitimacy out of the water with this statement

Lovecraft
04-15-2005, 01:06 PM

you just blew your whole legitimacy out of the water with this statement

no. because i have never encouraged the use of LSD. and whenever i've described my experiences i've basically described it as completely losing your grip on reality and more or less just going insane for several hours with no way of stopping it. believe me, as much as i've loved my own few experiences on acid no one has ever taken it because of anything i've said.

meow
04-15-2005, 01:10 PM

no. because i have never encouraged the use of LSD. and whenever i've described my experiences i've basically described it as completely losing your grip on reality and more or less just going insane for several hours with no way of stopping it. believe me, as much as i've loved my own few experiences on acid no one has ever taken it because of anything i've said.

perhaps that description is appealing to some people.

Look, if one is to be educated about a drug, they have to be told ALL the effects of the drug... good AND bad. then they can make the decision for themselves.

unless you want to take the DARE approach and be like DRUGS ARE BAD LEARN TO SAY NO which OBVIOUSLY doesn't work

noir cat
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM

no. because i have never encouraged the use of LSD. and whenever i've described my experiences i've basically described it as completely losing your grip on reality and more or less just going insane for several hours with no way of stopping it. believe me, as much as i've loved my own few experiences on acid no one has ever taken it because of anything i've said. Oh, you're located in America.

Why are people bothering to argue with you? YOu are the typical "nature good, chemically manufactured things by people bad".

God, there's some bad shit in "natural" stuff too.

Whatever.

El Savior
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM

perhaps that description is appealing to some people.

Look, if one is to be educated about a drug, they have to be told ALL the effects of the drug... good AND bad. then they can make the decision for themselves.

unless you want to take the DARE approach and be like DRUGS ARE BAD LEARN TO SAY NO which OBVIOUSLY doesn't work

fuck lovecraft.

if that description is really that appealing to someone they are already a little crazy.

i don't know how many times i have to say that i think people should have the freedom to do whatever they want to do. but i also think i have the right to discourage people from doing something that can be extremely harmful to their mind and bodies.

defending ecstacy to the end for christs sake. why don't you tell me the good side of smoking crack.

El Savior
04-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by noir cat

Why are people bothering to argue with you? YOu are the typical "nature good, chemically manufactured things by people bad".

that is far from the truth, but when it comes to hard drugs that can be extremely harmful to your mind and body, sure. and what the hell is wrong with that?

Douche Chill
04-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Douche Chill
its a good thing i just found out that e can kill you if you have a weak heart.

because now i'm going to do it so i die

i want to die so bad

can someone hook me up with this drug

noir cat
04-15-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by El Savior
that is far from the truth, but when it comes to hard drugs that can be extremely harmful to your mind and body, sure. and what the hell is wrong with that? I just dislike how people are so unwilling to note that natural substances like mushrooms can kill you (like, if you take the wrong ones/mistake the poisonious or something).

Pot can damage lungs and throat. Unless you're eating it.

Things like that.

Anyway. Who cares. All in moderation.

noir cat
04-15-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't see the point in arguing. May I also point to the thread starter to the ever reliable source -

http://www.erowid.org/

Orenthal James
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM

God, there's some bad shit in "natural" stuff too.

you are being fed a stream of lies

El Savior
04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I just dislike how people are so unwilling to note that natural substances like mushrooms can kill you (like, if you take the wrong ones/mistake the poisonious or something).

simple solution: don't be an idiot about what you put into your body.

meow
04-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by El Savior

fuck lovecraft.

if that description is really that appealing to someone they are already a little crazy.

i don't know how many times i have to say that i think people should have the freedom to do whatever they want to do. but i also think i have the right to discourage people from doing something that can be extremely harmful to their mind and bodies.

defending ecstacy to the end for christs sake. why don't you tell me the good side of smoking crack.

i'm not defending it to the end, i am defending a person's right to know the good and bad sides of a drug.

there probably are good effects from smoking crack, but there is such a stigma attached to it that most people won't try it. If you ask someone that has/does smoke crack, they might tell you the good things about it.

neopryn
04-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Douche Chill

i want to die so bad

can someone hook me up with this drug douche chill

El Savior
04-16-2005, 12:00 PM

there probably are good effects from smoking crack

wow...