View Full Version : Have you ever had to tell a co-worker they stink?

Esty
04-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Some dude is pretty funky and they have nominated me to tell him so. I just got into work and the women are complaining that he reeks and its getting to the point they feel like puking. How the hell do I tell someone they stink?

NSFW
04-12-2005, 04:21 PM
well i had to tell a bitch to keep her legs closed so i could breath, stinky bitch/stinking cunt

yo soy el mejor
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
is there a website for this. i think they send him a letter and some deodorant. but i dont think you want to wait.

i knew a lady who smelled and i just held my breath whenever she got too close. luckily i only saw her for about an hour each time i worked.

Black Somalian
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Esty
Some dude is pretty funky and they have nominated me to tell him so. I just got into work and the women are complaining that he reeks and its getting to the point they feel like puking. How the hell do I tell someone they stink?

His he Mexican?

Esty
04-12-2005, 04:43 PM
Well, I told him and I was really nervous about it. I didn't want to hurt the guys feelings. He said he would be more careful from now on. I feel like such a dick.

Swuggie83
04-12-2005, 04:46 PM
<font color="#0080ff">Does your company have a policy about work conduct? If so, you may want to have a superior talk to him and find out if there is a reason for the odor (i.e., too busy, lack of money). Perhaps the company will offer him time off until he can correct his problem. If you are not a complete stranger to the stinker, you might want to ask him what type of body wash he uses because you think it smells great. If he's hesitant with a reply, then he might be a dirty liar. If you are a stranger to him, place a copy of the company's policy on his desk with the appropriate areas highlighted. Perhaps somewhere in the realm of professional etiquette.</font color>

Esty
04-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by xtina

C'MON. we need conversation details!!!

how did you start, etc

Me: Hey Coworker, can I see you for a minute?
CW: Yeah
Me: Well, I don't know exactly how to say this and I've never had to tell someone this and i'm sorry.
CW: Ok, just spit it out, its fine.
Me: Ok, well, some people have been coming up and complained about your um, body order. Its been very strong lately. I don't know why, I haven't smelled anything all day, but I have been told this isn't the first time they have complained about you and well, I was told to tell you something about it. I'm sorry.:(
CW: Oh, well. I didn't know it was a problem. Ok, I promise to take better care of myself.
Me: Ok, once again i'm sorry.

Quick and hopefully painless. Why did I keep saying that I was sorry?

morphinebitch
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Esty
Why did I keep saying that I was sorry?

cause you felt bad. a lot of people do that

pale blue eyes
04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
There was once a guy who worked nights at Target who stunk to high heavens but he was the nicest guy. I was a psuedo manager of the department he worked in so they convinced me to tell him. I felt so bad. It was pretty similar to the conversation Steve had, only the guy I was telling didn't speak or understand English very well so it was twice as long and twice as awkward. I had to resort to using overly obvious hand gestures and was practically yelling towards the end. :erm

Phobophile
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
My boss's son, who is 17 years old, reeks like shit. He is absolutely the worst-smelling individual I have ever been around. Every once in a while I crack a joke about it and he doesn't seem to get it. He's a nice kid and all, he just stinks.

Also, using the restroom after him is impossible. Not only does he peel the paint off the walls when he's in there, but he literally gets shit on the toliet seat.

I can't wait until they build their new house and get some office space so I don't have to be subjected to this shit.

meow
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
there is a site out there that sends anonymous emails to people about this kind of stuff...

jenn
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
there's a kid in one of my classes that smells like ass all the time. it literally lingers for hours. i've gotten in the habit of using really strong lipgloss in class (rose-scented) to cover it up. sometimes, i smear a little under my nose so that it masks the smell of him out. i would say something to him...except he is *so fucking nice* and i don't want to hurt his feelings... :( it must suck to smell bad.

Phobophile
04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jenn
there's a kid in one of my classes that smells like ass all the time. it literally lingers for hours. i've gotten in the habit of using really strong lipgloss in class (rose-scented) to cover it up. sometimes, i smear a little under my nose so that it masks the smell of him out. i would say something to him...except he is *so fucking nice* and i don't want to hurt his feelings... :( it must suck to smell bad.

Maybe before he comes into class you could leave a bag of soap and deodorant on his desk.

jenn
04-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Phobophile

Maybe before he comes into class you could leave a bag of soap and deodorant on his desk.

it's a painting class..

jenn
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
my grandma smells really bad lately, but that's because she's in kidney failure and it makes her smell like pee. she'll be on dialysis in a week or so though... :(

Phobophile
04-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jenn

it's a painting class..

WELL THEN HANG IT ON THE FUCKING EASEL!

jesus, do I have to do everything for you?

vanilla
04-12-2005, 09:17 PM
a couple summers ago i was working w/ this really cool girl. we were talking and i smelled something like shit. i'm not sure if it was her breath or her ass. but it was rancid.

jenn
04-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Phobophile

WELL THEN HANG IT ON THE FUCKING EASEL!

jesus, do I have to do everything for you?

like soap on a rope? no...that's so mean :(

TIMb
04-13-2005, 04:11 AM
i was at gym once. this old dude was on the treadmill. he had a hole in his little lycra shorts. his schlong was hanging out. some poor gym-worker-guy had to tell him to put it away.

:erm

avian chaos
04-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Personally I think the passive aggressive "leave some soap at his desk when he's not looking" thing is a lot more stupid and offensive to the receiving party than a quick chat face to face. I mean, it could easily be misinterpreted as a mean prank or something...

...This thread reminds me of that episode of Freaks and Geeks when Sam and all his friends finally talk to Gordo about his stink problem. And he's like, "Yeah. I know. It's a genetic thing but my mom says it's a gift. All the nice people don't care and it weeds out all the jerks."

Blue*Carbonite
04-13-2005, 11:44 AM
i usually just tell them, in the nicest way possible. i always apologize if i forgot to put on deoderant and am forced to be in close proximity with someone.
my hippie boyfriend-guy-thing never wears any deoderant. it's sexxxy.

TIMb
04-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Blue*Carbonite
my hippie boyfriend-guy-thing never wears any deoderant. it's sexxxy.

:Skeptical

are you sure?!?!

BeautifulLoser
04-14-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by TIMb
i was at gym once. this old dude was on the treadmill. he had a hole in his little lycra shorts. his schlong was hanging out. some poor gym-worker-guy had to tell him to put it away.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MrPantyFAce
04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by avian chaos

...This thread reminds me of that episode of Freaks and Geeks when Sam and all his friends finally talk to Gordo about his stink problem. And he's like, "Yeah. I know. It's a genetic thing but my mom says it's a gift. All the nice people don't care and it weeds out all the jerks."

i just watched that episode..good show