View Full Version : Billy's voice machina era

Fat Cop
04-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Hey.

I've been lately listening to machina concerts and vids...and Billy's singing seemed to turn so whiny almost unbearable...like did he just did not give a shit anymore and got lazy? :confused:
Especially after his nice singing during adore concerts.

I mean I was watching the japan concert video where they play Mayonaise and gone is the softness of the record :(

I think Billy has his best voice in Adore and Zwan. Any thoughts on his voice for the new record, since he's saying it will be completely different musically?

Isle
04-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cop
Any thoughts on his voice for the new record, since he's saying it will be completely different musically?

"COME WITH ME-EE"

Spaldz
04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
His voice is best lately. Songs like "White City" were just beautiful. His voice was so soft, and on the Spun Soundtrack his voice is just perfect. Hopefully things will stay like that.

Dead
04-12-2005, 08:06 AM
His voice was best on Tales of a Scorched Earth.

For example: SO FUCK IT ALL CUZ I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!!

Fat Cop
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Isle

"COME WITH ME-EE"

Shit i never thought about the song in that way :o

Hehe " Come with me...again" :erm

Fat Cop
04-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Spaldz
His voice is best lately. Songs like "White City" were just beautiful. His voice was so soft, and on the Spun Soundtrack his voice is just perfect. Hopefully things will stay like that.

Yeah watching the Chigaco songs as well, Billy's voice sounds almost 'soulful'. No more nasal maybe more gangstas will tune into his music now.

Fat Cop
04-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Dead
His voice was best on Tales of a Scorched Earth.

For example: SO FUCK IT ALL CUZ I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!!!

MCIS screams = :rockon:
Hsu Chi = :love:

Isle
04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cop

"Come with me...again" :erm

:rofl: if he opens the album with that line, i will worship him forever.

Rockin' Cherub
04-12-2005, 11:08 AM
best singing in gish era, worst singing in machina era. no doubt about that.

Quiet
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
best singing in gish era, worst singing in machina era. no doubt about that.

We have a winner!

pumpkingrrrl
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
from what i recall, billy was pretty whiny during the Adore era. especially live shows.

but i do agree that his machina voice was the worst.

Axl Rose
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I really hated billy's voice during the Machina era!
All my friends didn't notice a difference, but I felt it was pretty obvious!

RockLobster
04-12-2005, 01:50 PM
adore era vocals sounded the best. However the rockin songs with screams just kick ass!

Spaldz
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
By Starlight was amazing song but the voice ripped me apart. Same with Tonight, Tonight. I played it to a bunch of people the other day and the voice just hurt. It could of been alot better.

Quiet
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Spaldz
By Starlight was amazing song but the voice ripped me apart. Same with Tonight, Tonight. I played it to a bunch of people the other day and the voice just hurt. It could of been alot better.

No way.

THEFUTUREMBRACE
04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
alright you fucks.

have you ever watched vieuphoria, hes whinin and howlin and soundin terrible, but its still cool cuz he doesn't give a fuck.

his vioce is absolutly at his best in the spun soundtrack. i having heard the church sessions and i am still waiting for that chicago album or whatever the fuck he was talking about. hell probably scratch that like everything else though.

machina was whinny tho. i.e. crying tree, and wound alittle bit.

he said that he started taking voice lessons though. i forget what era that was. pre adore prob.

drbenway
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
The MACHINA era was characterized by self-imitation (see 'Rock On'). The idea was to "sound" like the Pumpkins, in a metamusical sense.

Supposedly he had a voice coach for Adore, but the only time I've ever heard him sing "properly" is on the ZWAN record and everything after that. Check out the little video of him singing the Hail Mary prayer in San Francisco.

ZWANPHONY
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
his singing always fits the song.....

machina era:
before the rites of spring come to mean all things PERFECT
unleash the armageddon PERFECT
heavy metal, heavy metal machine....AAAARRRRGH!!!RAAAWR!!! PERFECT
who wouldn't be the one you love PERFECT
i did it all for you, you, you and you PERFECT

adore era:
in bed, i was haaaalf dead PERFECT
you're so cruel, in all you do, but still i believe, i believe, you. PERFECT
and the NIIIIIIIIIIIGHTmaaaaare rides on PERFECT
you make me real, strong as i feel, yeah you make me real PERFECT
your picture out of time, left aching in my mind, shadows kept alive PERFECT

and i would continue, but this is taking waaaaay too long.
but pretty much, billy sang perfect in concert to me, except when he said his voice was fucked from a cold or something. oh and like dead says, when paz joins in live, it sounded terrible. hah

Fat Cop
04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ZWANPHONY
his singing always fits the song.....

machina era:
before the rites of spring come to mean all things PERFECT
unleash the armageddon PERFECT
heavy metal, heavy metal machine....AAAARRRRGH!!!RAAAWR!!! PERFECT
who wouldn't be the one you love PERFECT
i did it all for you, you, you and you PERFECT

adore era:
in bed, i was haaaalf dead PERFECT
you're so cruel, in all you do, but still i believe, i believe, you. PERFECT
and the NIIIIIIIIIIIGHTmaaaaare rides on PERFECT
you make me real, strong as i feel, yeah you make me real PERFECT
your picture out of time, left aching in my mind, shadows kept alive PERFECT

and i would continue, but this is taking waaaaay too long.
but pretty much, billy sang perfect in concert to me, except when he said his voice was fucked from a cold or something. oh and like dead says, when paz joins in live, it sounded terrible. hah

Hmm I disagree, especially in concert. However, I suppose it shows a big difference with being able to do lots of studio takes, as opposed to singing live playing guitar too.

I always crack up especially during live SIYL when he sings that "you're all that I...DREAM!" lol he butchers that part :D

ZWANPHONY
04-12-2005, 08:58 PM
he doesn't butcher it to me, maybe you were just at a really bad concert :p

but man, i think it sounds great live. i'm glad i made it to the concerts i went to.

douglas78
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
hey assholes. i like his voice in every one of the albums and im glad that the new album sounds a bit like machina in some songs. machina was great.

ZWANPHONY
04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by douglas78
hey assholes. i like his voice in every one of the albums and im glad that the new album sounds a bit like machina in some songs. machina was great.

they were talking about how his voice sucked live...asshole.

but i don't agree with them anyways.

Mayfuck
04-12-2005, 10:52 PM
His voice sounded nicest on Siamese Dream and on songs like Rhinoceros. His voice used to be really soft when he wanted it to be soft but I guess as he got older it was harder to hit the higher notes and he had to use some nasal action to register those higher notes resulting in the 'whiny' sound.

ZWANPHONY
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
you watch, now someone's gonna register the name "billy corgan nasal action". hah

Toby
04-13-2005, 02:28 AM
yeah dude, b0lly's voice during gish and pre-gish was hott.

Xondria7Mayfair
04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
No I think Billy's best vocals were on Siamese Dream. He sounded so beautiful on that at least for a guy. I mean, how many guys in bands sound that damn beautiful. His voice was so calming on that record. I think things got out of hand with His singing on Mellon Collie, got better on Adore then it was vice versa on Machina. He sounded pretty good on there too.