View Full Version : TheFutureEmbrace

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 02:50 AM
EDIT: THIS THREAD CONTAINS DESCRIPTIONS OF THE ALBUM AND STUFF. IF YOU PREFER TO WAIT AND HAVE IT BE A SURPRISE, PLEASE DON'T READ.

cool, some is great, some isn't, but cool

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 02:54 AM
i listened twice through, in an office setting, not taking notes. this is just my first impression, and as we know, impressions of these albums change wiht repeated listens. what i give is juts my first impression, and i'm just trying to be honest.

i apologize because i'm not taking the time to write up a huge review, i gotta get up early for work in the morning.

very synthy, kind of like machina's sound. very few well defined guitar parts. no riffs. no rock really. most of the beats were sedate/monotone

i loved Mina Loy right away, and TheCameraEye as well. those were the strongest tracks, followed by Walking Shade.

the first song left me kind of shaking my head. beats weren't special, sound wasn't that defined, lacked energy.

begees cover was... dark? it was kind of cool, but i don't see myself listening to it a ton, as it was kind of depressing.

the song jimmy drums on isn't amazing, i was kind of hoping for more

walking Shade is kind a curious choice for a single i think. maybe because some of the vocal melodies are slightly reminiscent of the pumpkins? there's no real chorus to speak of.. it is a three minute song, with the last 15-20 seconds of it being better than the rest of the song. maybe the video will be great. i really liked how it sounded towards the end, it didn't start as strong. it kind of builds. and again, its the sort of mush of sound that might not really translate well over the radio. but i can see it growing on me quickly

the very last song strayz had no beats, almost all voice. i want to hear it on headphones to be sure, but i feel it lacked the intimacy of something like to sheila. there were very faint synth or guitar lines following the notes he sang, very distant notes, almost like the drums in to sheila, but for synth or guitar..

some of the songs in the middle kind of blended together and weren't that memorable on the first listen, but who is to say. i didn't get a great listen

on first impression, he didn't quite emote as much as i hoped. overall the beats were sedate, kind of lacking energy, and the tone was kind of flat. guitars were thick and not really sounding like guitars. a mush of sound sort of. but some would use the word 'lush' so who is to say

there was a very cool sort of creepy dangling guitar line for TheCameraEye, i liked that a lot. and as i said, Mina Loy was very cool.

i can see myself growing to like the album a lot (i'm kind of a junky). i found myself smiling for mina loy and the camera eye and walking shade because it had some of the things i like going on. but on some of the songs i was just sort of disappointed.

nearly all the songs are over in under four minutes, several in three or three and a half.

no real guitar solos to speak of.

sorry to sound negative, im being honest and not trying to put a false spin on it. i am sure i will like it a lot more after some proper listening and time

if you have questions about other songs or whatnot, i'll try my best to remember, but keep in mind this was just one guy's first impression, no headphones, etc. take it with a ton of salt.

SpFission
04-12-2005, 02:56 AM
If you could compare it to any other billy album , which one does it remind you of the most.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 02:57 AM
cross between adore and machina

the 'solo billy' thing was kind of present on adore, with jsut the drum machine.. and that is present on this

and the 'lush' sound or however you want to describe it that was present in songs like this time and sacred and profane is present here too..

SpFission
04-12-2005, 02:58 AM
hmm, i dont really like machina at all...as far as the song production...but adore was good......Yes, thanks for setting my expectations lower so I won't be devastated if I don't like what I hear. Although I was kind of hoping for a good 'first' review...ah well

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by SpFission
hmm, i dont really like machina at all...as far as the song production...but adore was good......Yes, thanks for setting my expectations lower so I won't be devastated if I don't like what I hear. Although I was kind of hoping for a good 'first' review...ah well

this is kind of making me second guess the widsom in posting this review..

i don't want to deflate people's hopes to the point where they don't buy the album or aren't excited.. i didn't want to do anything but share.. any thoughts on removing the review are welcome, as im second guessing it..

SpFission
04-12-2005, 03:02 AM
Oh, Im buying the album....no matter what, just bummed out that from what I've read its nothing we havent already heard., at least thats what I'm getting from your review..

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:05 AM
such a trickey business... it IS like nothing we've heard..

the songs are all real different sounding, even given that it does have some machina-esque qualities.

the songwriting is vastly different, in terms of song structure and lyrics and stuff..

SpFission
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Some say the best albums are the ones that grow on you slowely in the beginning, then later down the road you realize how brilliiant it is...Could be the case here with TheFutureEmbrace..

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
absolutely.. which is why i tried to make it clear that this is just one person's first impression, and said that i fully expect it to grow on me..

im not sure posting this did anyone any good

Sapphire
04-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Are the lyrics good? What style are they from? Are they classic Billy, or do they take on a more Adore/Machina twist as well? Do the lyrics play a large roll? Do the vocals work well with them? Are any of them really memorable?

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:11 AM
that is one thing i really would have liked headphones or some privacy for, so i could concentrate on them.

some were striking, and the delivery was great at times. his voice was a little more controlled than it has been at various points in the past...

there didn't appear to be a whole lot of repetition, but i could be wrong, i didn't get to listen too closely

there were some great vocal melodies. the three songs i've highlighted (mina loy, the camera eye, walking shade) all sounded real cool vocally on the first listen (musically as well)

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:13 AM
stylistically.. definitely not SD or MCIS.. perhaps a little adore, but not quite as intimate? had some machina-esque in a few places, but i think that was kind of isolated.. if i read more of the poetry book i'd be better qualified to comment on the similarity or lackthereof.. all in all, they seemed pretty tight.

there were no stinkers like there was on zwan that stood out immediately

SpFission
04-12-2005, 03:13 AM
absolutely.. which is why i tried to make it clear that this is just one person's first impression, and said that i fully expect it to grow on me..

The fact that your review does not emit a fanboy esque mentality is quite possibly why your post 'could' have more impact than you intended. You seem pretty levelhead and objective in your assessment, so your words might hold more water as opposed to someone who worships everything that Corgan touches.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:18 AM
yeah. it is all very relative. the guy who had the cd sent to him was much less enthusiastic than i, but he wasn't a big fan in the first place. its going to be different for everyone, but on first listen, there was definitely the material to make it a completely worthwhile album, even though in my opinion it didn't appear to be an instant classic

Sapphire
04-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks for doing all of this AHA.

I think that anybody that was expecting an album that was going to blow them away were going to be disappointed. But, that doesn't mean that this CD won't be excellent. It's good to hear that none of the songs were stinkers, and if they are all so different from one another, then I'm sure it's going to be great listen. It's hard to really take it all in on a first listen (I hated SD the first time I heard it, but then again, I was like... 9?)

Sounds promising though. :)

Redmob
04-12-2005, 03:23 AM
How was Robert Smith's contribution? Any other guests besides Jimmy?

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
Thanks for doing all of this AHA.

I think that anybody that was expecting an album that was going to blow them away were going to be disappointed. But, that doesn't mean that this CD won't be excellent. It's good to hear that none of the songs were stinkers, and if they are all so different from one another, then I'm sure it's going to be great listen. It's hard to really take it all in on a first listen (I hated SD the first time I heard it, but then again, I was like... 9?)

Sounds promising though. :)

there were two or three that really didn't do anything for me on first listen. that doesn't make them stinkers, but they didn't really grab me like nearly every song on past albums has. im going to sound like a broken record but yeah, some of thos emight end up being my favorites for all i know

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Redmob
How was Robert Smith's contribution? Any other guests besides Jimmy?

it was pretty cool, but not necessarily 100% amazing.. i think smith's voice was featured more prominantly when he guested on that blink cd.. but it does help shape the mood of the overall song quite well

that song has a very distinct mood. im not sure if ive heard the original, but it is sucha 'song' song that you can recognize where it is going, and that is a good thing. because at the same time you get a sense that it is very unique from the original (which im not really qualified to say having not heard the orig.)

then there is jimmy's guest, and other than that, i do not know.

the cd was pretty much blank, no artwork or liner notes, just a tracklisting and a legal disclaimer stating that if you listen, you agree to the terms that you not spread it, and it explains that it is a watermarked copy and they can trace it back to you if it leaks

SpFission
04-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Was Jimmy's presence noticeable on "DIA'?

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by SpFission
Was Jimmy's presence noticeable on "DIA'?

it was noticeable in that it was 'quicker' than most of the other machine-beats on the album, and the snare is pretty easy to identify too. but at the same time it was pretty controlled and to be brutally honest, didn't emotionally propell the song like it has many times in the past on MCIS, etc.. i'd liken it more to something like raindrops and sunshowers, or try try try, NOT in terms of the beat played or the sound of it, but in that it is very regular, steady, and controlled

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:39 AM
i can understand billy's frustrations with reviewers constantly likening works to works of the past... becuase you have to give some frame of reference..

as for the guitar sound, my friend commented it was very my bloody valentine, but not having listened to them (i know, sue me), i can't really say.

but to reiterate, in terms of songwriting, lyrics, and structure, upon first listen, i think these songs are very different from what we have heard from billy before

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:52 AM
im going to sleep, i'll try to answer any more questions tomorrow afternoon or evening.

peace, love, music. ;)

ZackZ
04-12-2005, 03:52 AM
Billy had my hopes up when he said it was a rock album. I wasn't expecting SD, but maybe something edgy and a little heavy, at least some of the time. An album full of drum machine beats doesn't exactly sit in the rock category for me.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ
Billy had my hopes up when he said it was a rock album. I wasn't expecting SD, but maybe something edgy and a little heavy, at least some of the time. An album full of drum machine beats doesn't exactly sit in the rock category for me.

i think with some more active/rocker drumming, it woudln't be too hard to push these songs into the rock category. but you're correct, it iddn't seem like a rock album to me either.

though, songs like mina loy, thecameraeye, walking shade, and others have their moments too. but its a unique kind of 'rock' moment, no thrashing or riffs or anything.. the album can be heavy at times

but i guess one of the whole things was he was doing this without a band.. maybe a band will end up being the dynamic that works best for him? maybe the pumpkins was a once in a lifetime chemistry that can't be replicated?

either way, don't write the album off until you've had several listens (which i haven't yet had), it's always impossibly to classify it 'accurately'.

SpFission
Yes, I was also looking for a something a bit more edgier...but I can't dismiss this until I hear it for myself

Sapphire
Originally posted by ZackZ

Billy's hard days are probably behind him. We all knew we weren't getting SD, but to expect him to sing anything angsty or edgy anymore is pretty silly. I was hoping that songs similar to Behold! The Nightmare might be created, but I wasn't putting too much stock into that either.

Isle
04-12-2005, 04:01 AM
sounds like it should've been called The Brown Album

Ugly
04-12-2005, 05:22 AM
what I wanna know is, what moments reminded you of either A) Jellybelly B) Geek USA or C) Fuck You?

Fonzie
04-12-2005, 05:48 AM
I <i>so</i> knew it would suck ass!

Spaldz
04-12-2005, 05:59 AM
Well if it had the lush sound of Machina that would be great. If the drum machines play too much of a prominent part though that would suck. I just want it to be good.

Would you say it rivals any of his previous albums at all overall in it's goodness?

sweter33
04-12-2005, 06:23 AM
hmmm just from the description it looks like it's something around "LMGTWTY" / "In My Body" perhaps...
I'd be satisfied.

Travis_Wright
04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
sooo now you're saying all the songs are under 4 minutes, when earlier you said that pretty pretty star was 21 minutes, and you said that jimmy and robert smith and james iha were on the album, then when asked who the guests were again, you said jimmy and robert smith.

i have my doubts .

sweter33
04-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Travis_Wright
[...] and james iha on the album

lol

The New
04-12-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Ad Hoc Alias

as for the guitar sound, my friend commented it was very my bloody valentine, but not having listened to them (i know, sue me), i can't really say.

Ooooh,that's a +
Lush machina sound is a bit of a -
And now i guess i see what he meant by "futuristic rock",though i was hoping for more of a....i dunno...blue skies (heavy mII),white spyder kind of a vibe,although songs with that kind of feeling didn't seem likely

NilSineDeo
04-12-2005, 08:08 AM
sooo now you're saying all the songs are under 4 minutes, when earlier you said that pretty pretty star was 21 minutes, and you said that jimmy and robert smith and james iha were on the album, then when asked who the guests were again, you said jimmy and robert smith.

i have my doubts .

where did you hear that?!?

Quiet
04-12-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm trying really hard to think you're full of shit so that I may continue to believe this album will be a guitar rock masterpiece... but you're making it very difficult.

For some reason, I'm hoping the new White Stripes album doesn't come out the same day. For one thing, I don't see Billy's album getting much attention at all with their album coming out the same day. Also, judging from recent efforts, their album is probably going to rock a lot more than Billy's.

Radiofred
04-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Didn't Billy say there was other guests on the album besides Robert Smith? Ad Hoc Alias doesn't seem to have mentioned any of these......

NilSineDeo
04-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Radiofred
Didn't Billy say there was other guests on the album besides Robert Smith? Ad Hoc Alias doesn't seem to have mentioned any of these......

you don't know how much info AHA got though. all the guests may not have been listed on the tracklist.

It's almost impossible to just listen to a song and know who's in it, since some of them were probably just instrumental guests, unlike the guests on Jimmy's album who sang.

Mariner
04-12-2005, 11:57 AM
yes, but was it loud at any volume?

Quiet
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Mariner

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
what I wanna know is, what moments reminded you of either A) Jellybelly B) Geek USA or C) Fuck You?

i'm pretty sure he's left those times behind..

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Spaldz
Well if it had the lush sound of Machina that would be great. If the drum machines play too much of a prominent part though that would suck. I just want it to be good.

Would you say it rivals any of his previous albums at all overall in it's goodness?

not really possible to say, as those albums have had years of listens and this only had two scattered listens. i was enamored with adore, mcis, tafh on first listens, and this was not the case here, but who knows

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sweter33
hmmm just from the description it looks like it's something around "LMGTWTY" / "In My Body" perhaps...
I'd be satisfied.

hmm, interesting... i guess it does share some characteristics with those in terms of sound.. but structurally, different i guess. shorter songs too, not as conventional as lmgtwty, but it did share some of the etheral wash of sound qualities

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:44 PM

i have my doubts .

yeah well i never said that, that was someone else trying to make the point that anyone could write a review for the album and that didn't necessarily make it legit or real.. you're entitled to your doubts

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild

Ooooh,that's a +
Lush machina sound is a bit of a -
And now i guess i see what he meant by "futuristic rock",though i was hoping for more of a....i dunno...blue skies (heavy mII),white spyder kind of a vibe,although songs with that kind of feeling didn't seem likely

no, overall, the songs weren't fast paced or aggressive enough to have that kind of vibe

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Radiofred

NilSineDeo is correct.. all we has a CD that was pretty much blank, a tracklisting (did not mention jimmy or smith), and a legal disclaimer explaining it was a watermarked cd and if you open it you are legally bound to agree to the terms that you not distribute it, and that they can trace it back to you..

so its quite possible there were other guest spots, but it wasn't immediately apparent

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Mariner

i never really understood that whole thing in the first place, so i don't have any idea.

Karl Connor
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
IS IT " LIEK GISH OR SIAMESE DREMN? I WANT" ' IT TO SOUND LIEK GEEJ USA OR SIVA

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
I'm trying really hard to think you're full of shit so that I may continue to believe this album will be a guitar rock masterpiece... but you're making it very difficult.

For some reason, I'm hoping the new White Stripes album doesn't come out the same day. For one thing, I don't see Billy's album getting much attention at all with their album coming out the same day. Also, judging from recent efforts, their album is probably going to rock a lot more than Billy's.

yeah, they're each trying to do very different things

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Randall Sandell
IS IT " LIEK GISH OR SIAMESE DREMN? I WANT" ' IT TO SOUND LIEK GEEJ USA OR SIVA

:beatup:

Nova
04-12-2005, 01:44 PM
You say a lot of it sounds like Machina... do we mean Machina 1 or Machina 2? I wasn't too fond of M1's production, but I think Machina 2 truly has some of the band's best songs. So, if a lot of the album sounds like that, then that's fine with me.

I will say that your friend is either a. biased or b. mocking people critical of SP/Billy's sound when he says the guitars sound like My Bloody Valentine. If the album sounds like Machina... it doesn't sound like My Bloody Valentine. :D

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Nova
You say a lot of it sounds like Machina... do we mean Machina 1 or Machina 2? I wasn't too fond of M1's production, but I think Machina 2 truly has some of the band's best songs. So, if a lot of the album sounds like that, then that's fine with me.

I will say that your friend is either a. biased or b. mocking people critical of SP/Billy's sound when he says the guitars sound like My Bloody Valentine. If the album sounds like Machina... it doesn't sound like My Bloody Valentine. :D

to be clear, the songwriting isn't machina-esque, the quality i'm getting at is the lack of a very easily identifiable guitar riff/line (an exception being TheCameraEye), or any discernable 'space / breathing room' during much of the sound (an exception being Strayz). so in that sense, like machina I. the ethereal, spacey, synthy, thick sound that seems to be constantly present. with some exceptions of course. the singing and defintely the percussive elements are not very machina-esque, at least from what i recall

it sounds pretty new, but the thick sound that is present is somewhat 'familiar'

<my friend's take also was that 'this isn't very good, billy's lost it, washed up, this is crap, etc.'>

Nova
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Ok, cool. I'm dying to know, however... what does "Pretty pretty STAR" sound like? Lyrics?

Ad Hoc Alias
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Ok, cool. I'm dying to know, however... what does "Pretty pretty STAR" sound like? Lyrics?

that is one of the songs that didn't really call out for a second listen (we were kind of rushed, etc..) and it kind of blended with some others in my memory. so what i remember is kind of vague.. it was semi-delicate? it defintely inc<df>ludes the words, "pretty, pretty star" .. these second pretty was sung at a higher note.. it wasn't immediately compelling, but i didn't even listen the whole way through, so maybe it is better than i heard

pineapple*soul
04-12-2005, 09:30 PM
dammit, i wish i hadn't read this topic

thanks ad hoc for the effort, i like your level headed approac to all this. you dont seem to be a netphorian at all... :)

tomthum81
04-12-2005, 10:08 PM
i really like that you can't exactly place the sound... that alone is promising to me. all i know is that i hated adore the first time i heard it. i think this could be good.

Corganist
04-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I was kinda disappointed when I first started reading the impressions on the album. I guess I was kinda hoping it'd be some sort of blow-you-away experience. But then I realized that none of BC's albums have really blown me away on the very first listen (even SD and MCIS). Its sometimes hard to realize that, because once the albums click in and you "get" it, you feel like its been a part of you forever. Its kinda unfair to expect a new album to get to that level of praise for someone based on two listens.

I think based on what's been said in this thread, this will be a solid record. It sounds like there'll be a lot to like about it, and thats enough for me. But I also think it will be interesting to see what happens once we all start hearing it and giving opinions. It seems to me like we're gearing up for another Adore-type situation, where the fan reactions are gonna be very strongly positive or negative... as opposed to MSOTS, where even the people who liked the record were just kinda like "Its pretty good." From the sounds of it, there's gonna be room for some discussion. I look forward to it.

Dead
04-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I LOVE MACHINA!!!!!!! :rockon:

Mayfuck
04-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Welcome back, Clint.

Villarelo
04-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the review!, nice but I still want to listen the album.

By the way, what kind of job you do? Why do you listen the album so early?

Dead
04-13-2005, 12:15 AM
BTW Also, I thought you didn't care about using the alias anymore.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Villarelo
Thanks for the review!, nice but I still want to listen the album.

By the way, what kind of job you do? Why do you listen the album so early?

good! i sure hope you still want to listen! this wasn't supposed to make anyone not want to listen to it!

it wasn't me the album was sent to; it was a friend of mine, and he got it because of connections in the music business i guess..

Ad Hoc Alias
04-13-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Dead
BTW Also, I thought you didn't care about using the alias anymore.

changed my mind

thuway
04-13-2005, 12:22 AM
You know it would be funny if this dude ws like "April fool's you dumb asses".

Dead
04-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Ad Hoc Alias

changed my mind
Alright that's coll. But if this is all just BS then I'd be somewhat annoyed.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
mrs. jackson, i am for real

Dead
04-13-2005, 12:32 AM
Aight good enough for me.

thuway
04-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Dead your easily persuaded.

Kind of reminds me of my friend when we went to new york.

He was still a virgin and we were checking out some hookers. I wasn't serious.

My Friend: Do you have any STDs?
Hooker: Do I look like I have STDs?
My Friend: No....... well good enough for me!

Quiet CD
04-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Considering Billy's profile says alternative / grindcore / new wave we could probably take that as a hint...

agressive/progressive post new wave fusion, its going to rock your socks off.

Dead
04-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by thuway
Dead your easily persuaded.

Nah, I know who he is, and his posts have a lot of detail so taking all of that into consideration, I think he's probably telling the truth. If not, then like I said, I would be somewhat annoyed.

pineapple*soul
04-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I LOVE MACHINA!!!!!!! :rockon:

tcm
04-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Quiet CD
Considering Billy's profile says alternative / grindcore / new wave we could probably take that as a hint...
it used to say Alternative / Bluegrass / Comedy. so, no, i think not.

Nova
04-13-2005, 09:48 AM
It also says he's associated with the Walmart Budget Division, has been influenced by Luscious Jackson, and says he sounds like sweet cinnamon rolls.

Anyway, I'm shocked that some of you people still think you're gonna get some complex prog/metal/psychedelic guitar masterpiece with elements that recall Gish/Siamese/MCIS. Those days are long gone, folks, and likely aren't gonna come back. Billy's nearly 40. He's mellowed out a lot. It could be worse, he could've shot himself or died from a drug overdose. At least he's still alive and making music. If Kurt Cobain or Layne Staley were making music today I don't think it would be as good as it was in the early 90's.

Ad Hoc Alias
04-13-2005, 12:25 PM
It also says he's associated with the Walmart Budget Division, has been influenced by Luscious Jackson, and says he sounds like sweet cinnamon rolls.

Anyway, I'm shocked that some of you people still think you're gonna get some complex prog/metal/psychedelic guitar masterpiece with elements that recall Gish/Siamese/MCIS. Those days are long gone, folks, and likely aren't gonna come back. Billy's nearly 40. He's mellowed out a lot. It could be worse, he could've shot himself or died from a drug overdose. At least he's still alive and making music. If Kurt Cobain or Layne Staley were making music today I don't think it would be as good as it was in the early 90's.

well said!

also, even though i haven't had any listening but that once on monday, i woke up with Walking Shade in my head this morning and it sounded great!!!

echolalia
04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
So some of you are really convinced it's gonna suck because of one person's quickly written opinon? or is that opinion what you decided six months ago? I look forward to hearing the album first, thank you.

Check this out... he posted it to myspace this morning...

“I always thought the solo thing was so egoistic, and believe it or not, I didn’t want that,” Corgan says with a grin. “I didn’t feel it needed to all be about me. Overall, I always thought bands were better than solo artists--David Bowie being one of those rare exceptions. But shit happens. I was on top of the world with the Pumpkins when my band blew up. I went from being in one of the best bands in the world into some fuckin’ nightmare. All you can do is keep going, and keep on making records you believe in.”

With TheFutureEmbrace, Corgan has made an album worth believing in-- one that is very much his own. “This is probably the first record where I wasn’t being somewhat reactive to what was going on around me,” he says. “The early work of the Pumpkins was influenced by the fact that we would go play in Chicago and people would just talk. We found the louder we played, the more people would listen. . .or leave. Then you move into the indie ranks and you start hearing you’re not cool enough or loud enough. You could even say Zwan was a reaction against the Pumpkins.” For Corgan, however, “This is the first time I said, `Okay, I don’t care what the trends are. I don’t care what the modern marketplace says. I’m just going to make the record I want to make.’ That’s it. Every time I came to a fork in the road, I just kept repeating, `I’m gonna do my thing.’”

Describing his mission for TheFutureEmbrace, Corgan says: “I just wanted this to be beautiful--though I suppose it’s my own definition of beauty. I didn’t want to be shocking or loud or provocative just for the sake of it. I wanted it all to emanate from a place of beauty.”

Towards that end, Corgan began working in his beloved hometown Chicago with Bjorn Thorsrud, a musical associate since the Smashing Pumpkins’ 1998 Adore album and Bon Harris of Nitzer Ebb fame who Corgan describes as “like the Jimi Hendrix of synth land.” Later in the process, Corgan brought in Brian Liesegang, formerly of Filter, and Matt Walker, of both Filter and briefly the Smashing Pumpkins as “great tastemakers and knob-turners.” Jimmy Chamberlin--Corgan’s bandmate in the Pumpkins and Zwan--plays drums on “DIA.” Last but not least, Robert Smith of the Cure sings backing vocals on a gorgeously heartbreaking if unlikely version of the Bee Gees’ “To Love Somebody.”

“We worked a long time on making this feel like a real album,” says Corgan of making TheFutureEmbrace, which was mixed by Alan Moulder. “I always felt that my albums are too scattershot. I’d get bored and my albums would become weird amalgams of the assorted swings in my mood. I kept telling the guys in the studio that I don’t want this album to sound like Billy’s Junkshop – like Billy went in his attic, and said, `Oh I found a harmonium. Oh, I found a Moog.’”

A compelling and often dreamily melodic construction of synth sounds and Corgan’s own famed guitar, the impressive Wall of Sound on TheFutureEmbrace feels powerfully modern while at the same time offering a heartfelt sonic salute to some of Corgan’s own musical heroes, including Bowie and Joy Division. As Corgan explains, “In painting they pay tribute to previous artists, like they’ll say `After Matisse.’ The way I look at it, there’s homage here. I could spend more energy covering it up, but I don’t think it’s necessary. In terms of things close to my heart, Low by Bowie is the touchstone, but that vein goes on to Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen and beyond--music with that beautiful coldness. Somehow what we’re going through right now seems to realign with the feeling in that music. To me you almost have to bow to the masters who figured things out. Then you figure it out your own way and ultimately it all becomes part of your fabric.”

While some of Corgan’s sonic heroes explored bleakness, TheFutureEmbrace itself is more affirmative and even romantic. “I’m not interested at all in celebrating any shadowy stuff,” Corgan explains. “I’m not in that place.” Instead, Corgan–whose first poetry collection Blinking With Fists was published by Faber And Faber last year -- has written his most intimate set of songs yet. “In some way the grandeur of the Pumpkins was a way to dodge my weaknesses, like if things were loud enough or strident enough, no one would notice the flaws,” Corgan says. “I don’t have to do that any more—so that let’s me shine through more authentically. To me what is poignant about my past work is that I was really struggling to find myself and wearing a sort of mask to be functional. But at some point you have to put down the mask.”

Having put down the mask, Corgan sounds philosophical about how TheFutureEmbrace will be embraced: “I brace myself for the worst and assume it will all get worked out in the end. I’ve always been aware of the quality end of what I do, and things have worked out pretty much as I thought it would. For me, it’s successful in the sense that it’s very focused. I think it’s a beautiful record that packs an emotional punch, but time will tell if the songs hold up. I only know if I don’t go into unfamiliar territory, I’m not going to get anywhere.”

Quiet
04-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Great little write-up there. Billy RULES!!!

Just out of curiosity... is anyone else on here named Billy other than me? It makes that part on "Jesus Loves His Babies" extra scary... sounds like Jesus is talking to me.

RockLobster
04-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
Great little write-up there. Billy RULES!!!

Just out of curiosity... is anyone else on here named Billy other than me? It makes that part on "Jesus Loves His Babies" extra scary... sounds like Jesus is talking to me.
that is my name too. the first time i heard it i thought woah. but now it's kinda annoying.

Dead
04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by echolalia
So some of you are really convinced it's gonna suck because of one person's quickly written opinon? or is that opinion what you decided six months ago? I look forward to hearing the album first, thank you.

Get out of here, you god damn moron!

Ad Hoc Alias
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Last but not least, Robert Smith of the Cure sings backing vocals on a gorgeously heartbreaking if unlikely version of the Bee Gees’ “To Love Somebody.”

heartbreaking seems like a very accurate word for that song..

“We worked a long time on making this feel like a real album,” says Corgan of making TheFutureEmbrace, which was mixed by Alan Moulder. “I always felt that my albums are too scattershot. I’d get bored and my albums would become weird amalgams of the assorted swings in my mood. I kept telling the guys in the studio that I don’t want this album to sound like Billy’s Junkshop – like Billy went in his attic, and said, `Oh I found a harmonium. Oh, I found a Moog.’”

well this is pure opinion, but i have always been most impressed by the breadth of different sounds on past records, with MCIS being the prime example. none of the songs sound the same, and it definitely avoids being repetitive in that sense.

where some say 'scattershot', i say genius, prolific, and diverse.

and so one of the things that i wish were different about the album is the consistency in sound. i think it could benefit from the diversity that has worked so well in the past. to each his own..

Quiet CD
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by tcm

it used to say Alternative / Bluegrass / Comedy. so, no, i think not.

new wave is definitely part of it... post new wave, or no wave

chouchou
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
let's see...i work for a small mag...and we got this album...
the person in the office that gave it to me said what i now believe...
there are tracks that will stand out right away but the more
you listen it gets more and more addicting...that's how it
has worked w/ most of my fave bands/albums. at first..i wasn't
sure about all of it but now i feel different...it's been on rotation
for two weeks now...pretty much only that album too!

off the bat- yeah- mina loy is sick. that song is a good play-on-
repeat-21-times-in-a-row track. that one, walking shade, dia
- all very easy to love. kick ass beats, big lush guitars (think
early 90's ie. ride, mbv, swervedriver, slowdive etc.) and
strong melodies. i think all fans will be stoked on those tracks.

since then other tracks have crept their way into my favorite
category...A100 and Sorrows were ones i kind of overlooked at first
but now love...i think his vocals on this album are pretty compelling...

for the record, i'm not a walking SP catalogue so i can't compare
like everyone else here...but i love SD and MCIS and while this album
is different (like those were) i think it will have it's own place/success.

you know. i interviewed kim deal once and i told her how i loved
the pixies sooo much that i wouldn't listen to the breeders for years.
b/c i felt like anything other than pixies was anti-pixies...i finally did
and loved it. she was so cool and said that she didn't even mean to start
the band, she was just writing songs cos' that's what she did...i bet it's the
same for billy...it's not anti-pumpkins, it's just being a musician.
:idea:

Phoenix Down
04-14-2005, 04:17 PM
ad hoc....can thefutureembrace in any way be compared to Radioheads "Hail to the Thief"? When i read your review I had to think of "Sit Down, Stand Up" or "Where I end and you begin" in terms of sedate beats and thick layers of synth sound.

echolalia
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Get out of here, you god damn moron!

Let me post the same thing five times in a row so I can be like deaddy. :rolleyes:

PkPhuoko
04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Welcome back, Clint.

<---- clint btw

br191804
04-20-2005, 10:42 PM
When I typed in the future embrace - Billy Corgan on Shareaza it lists "hammer and nales as track #1 on The Future Embrace tracklisting. Why?

tomthum81
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
When I typed in the future embrace - Billy Corgan on Shareaza
from what i understand... its just lokicat from jimmy's album

burraldo
04-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by tomthum81

from what i understand... its just lokicat from jimmy's album

fake. :rolleyes: