View Full Version : Hard songs

hannibis
04-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I wan't to pick a Pumpkins song to do for my performance for music this year, but i'm not sure which one to pick. Any got any suggestions of a challenging one that might impress markers?

DeviousJ
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Most pumpkins stuff is very riff-based, are you sure they'd go for that? Do you play fingerstyle? Do you even play guitar? Details man

Nova
04-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by hannibis
I wan't to pick a Pumpkins song to do for my performance for music this year, but i'm not sure which one to pick. Any got any suggestions of a challenging one that might impress markers?
Try doing the guitar solos for Geek USA, Soma, or Cherub Rock.

MyAdviceIha
04-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Here Is No Why.

Not the most challenging, but fun and interesting to play.

hannibis
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Heh oops.. Yeah I play guitar. I'm prepared to learn to do anything I don't do already :D

tomthum81
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
hummer (http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=929) is one of the most revered solos of all time... def. one of my favorites

ZWANPHONY
04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
are you playing a full song with a band (drummer, at least) or just you and an acoustic guitar...

if it's you and an acoustic guitar i'd go with Galapogos, that way you can improvise and solo b/c won't sound too out of place with the picking throughout the majority of the song. but if you can't sing, then that's a bad choice for a song. if you're just playing acoustic guitar and aren't singing, i'd go with infinite sadness...that's a great instrumental full of warm chords. maybe even starla...

if you and a band, mayonaise definitely.

behold! the night mare would also be a great acoustic cover.

Thoughtless
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
While the Hummer solo may be simple, it's the most melodic in terms of arrangement of those mentioned and doesn't have so much of Billy's bullshit lead style. While I think his bullshit style is awesome, it's not very technically proficient, so I don't think they'd go for it. I second the vote for Hummer.

craigrattattat
04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
play mouths of babes, or dont play anything

sledge
04-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ZWANPHONY

if it's you and an acoustic guitar i'd go with Galapogos, that way you can improvise and solo b/c won't sound too out of place with the picking throughout the majority of the song. but if you can't sing, then that's a bad choice for a song. if you're just playing acoustic guitar and aren't singing, i'd go with infinite sadness...that's a great instrumental full of warm chords. maybe even starla...

Starla on an acoustic guitar...?

ZWANPHONY
04-07-2005, 12:40 AM
yes...

you'd have to improvise for the solo though...unless your acoustic guitar has some acoustic wah and feedback or whatever.

oh, and this is me playing the main riff of starla backwards on an acoustic guitar, then i reversed it in soundforge...the equivalent of having a pedal that reverses your waveforms...i forget what they are called though :(

i know it's not great, but i was experimenting and i thought it sounded cool...

listen here (http://people.clemson.edu/~jguerry/misc/starlah_acoustic.mp3)

sledge
04-07-2005, 12:53 AM
yes...

you'd have to improvise for the solo though...unless your acoustic guitar has some acoustic wah and feedback or whatever.

oh, and this is me playing the main riff of starla backwards on an acoustic guitar, then i reversed it in soundforge...the equivalent of having a pedal that reverses your waveforms...i forget what they are called though :(

i know it's not great, but i was experimenting and i thought it sounded cool...

listen here (http://people.clemson.edu/~jguerry/misc/starlah_acoustic.mp3)

Yeah it definetally sounds cool, but I don't think the audience would dig listening to that over and over again, plus if he were to solo, it would sound odd without that riff accompanying it, unless they have some sampling pedal where it would just continously repeat as he soloed on top of it.
But the clip sounds really cool either way, good going.

ZWANPHONY
04-07-2005, 12:58 AM
thanks, it's awfully bassy because i had the mic way too close to the guitar...

yeah they have echo pedals some which can repeat up to 20 seconds of mat'l for infinite time (til your batteries die)...have you ever seen that Eye video on the smashing pumpkins covers site? he has the same idea, i bet he could cover starla decently...

sledge
04-07-2005, 01:03 AM
thanks, it's awfully bassy because i had the mic way too close to the guitar...

yeah they have echo pedals some which can repeat up to 20 seconds of mat'l for infinite time (til your batteries die)...have you ever seen that Eye video on the smashing pumpkins covers site? he has the same idea, i bet he could cover starla decently...

No I haven't actually, do you have a link to the site? I'd be interested in seeing this.
BTW what kind of a mic are you using? And do you use any other music programs besides 'soundforge'? I'm interested in getting some basic stuff together and don't really know what to get.

ZWANPHONY
04-07-2005, 02:54 AM
not sure if you've heard of ActIV, pretty cool gig...well it's in the av section at the actIV website (http://landslide.2007.org/act4/). the particular video is here (http://act4.skegg.net/robpaterson-eye.wmv)...
it's not that bad of a cover, i wish he could sing a little more quieter though.

there's another cover site at Beyond the Beyond (http://btb.2007.org/) but everything is in crappy real audio...

Quiet
04-07-2005, 10:14 AM
French Movie Theme

Sapphire
04-07-2005, 12:44 PM
I'd vote for Infinite Sadness or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

The second is a bitch to do on the guitar, but if you can get it down (and do it quickly), you'll grand guitaro ultimate.

And that's a title nobody, but nobody, wants to fuck with.

DeviousJ
04-07-2005, 12:55 PM
The hummer solo's the first one I ever learned, and that's saying something. It may be really melodic, but this is a performance assessment and not a compositional one. Assuming you're not going to be singing, you'll probably have to embellish things a little to make it more interesting as a solo piece. If this isn't so high level you can probably get away with more. I don't know, I never did music at school

Sapphire
04-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Do Spaceboy. Be all like, "FEEEEEE!!!! FEEEEEEE!!! FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~~~~LLLLLL AAAAAHHHHHIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

BRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~~~AAAAAAAKKKKK KKKK YAH BONESZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

MISTAH JONEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!"

While staring at your profs with a Thom Yorke lazy eye.

douglas78
04-07-2005, 10:03 PM
watch hummer on the lost 94' tapes on veuphoria dvd. that will get you wanting to play hummer. just watching billy play that song live is awesome enuf.

Deleted_User
04-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
****** what is this shit.

DeviousJ
04-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by 2EXTRAVA2******
what is this shit.

Ah there you are - talk to the guy. You did Band and stuff