View Full Version : Pitchfork Article On the New Album


Quiet
04-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I hate these assholes.


From pitchforkmedia.com:
Billy Corgan Prepares First Solo Album

Rob Mackey reports:
It's times like these we find ourselves cursing Kevin Shields or Jeff Mangum for being less than productive. Indeed, wether we need it slash want it or not, former Smashing Pumpkin dictator, Billy Corgan, has announced the continuation of his love affair with a big fat residual spotlight. That's right, as if his short-lived tenure in the train-wreck-nu-nostalgia outfit Zwan wasn't enough, The Corg has recently administered the finishing touches to his first solo record, TheFutureEmbrace.

Slated for release on June 21 on Warner Brothers, the album *******s guest spots from Robert Smith, on a cover of the Bee Gees' "To Love Somebody", and Jimmy Chamberlin. In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Corgan said, "It's guitar-driven and loud, but not aggressive. The videos, music, and tour will be really new and different. No one will accuse me of sitting on my past." No, we'd never, ever, ever do that, Billy. Never.Tracklist:

01 All Things Change
02 Mina Loy (M.O.H.)
03 TheCameraEye
04 To Love Somebody
05 A100
06 DIA
07 Now (and Then)
08 I'm Ready
09 Walking Shade
10 Sorrows (in Blue)
11 Pretty, pretty STAR
12 Strayz

Fathoms
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Not all that scathing... I'm dissapointed.

Quiet
04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Fathoms
Not all that scathing... I'm dissapointed.

Yeah... just wait until they review the album. Even if we think it's great, I predict they'll give it... 3.0.

Cool As Ice Cream
04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Quiet
In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Corgan said, "It's guitar-driven and loud, but not aggressive." [insert pre-formatted loud-at-any-volume joke here]

Spaldz
04-01-2005, 11:04 AM
:(

Quiet CD
04-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Pitchfork reviews some really great music, but some of their staff are complete dicks... but some are really awesome and like BC.

Ugly
04-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Quiet


It's times like these we find ourselves cursing Kevin Shields or Jeff Mangum for being less than productive.

Nobody is cursing Kevin Shields or Jeff Mangum for not being more productive. Seriously. Nobody on the fucking Earth. Not a single soul.

Quiet
04-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah. Most of those guys at Pitchfork are DOUCHEBAGS.

Rockin' Cherub
04-01-2005, 03:50 PM
LOL @ "the corg"

Dead
04-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Netphoria is harder on BC than that article.

Fathoms
04-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Netphoria is harder on BC than that article.

seems the ol' pitchfork is getting a little rusty!

Cherub Angel
04-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Quiet CD
Pitchfork reviews some really great music, but some of their staff are complete dicks... but some are really awesome and like BC.

and some of their reviews are complete jokes.....case in point: read their Louis XIV review. Not quite a fan of the band, but this review is bullshit. They shouldn't criticize anyone until they learn how to fucking write and stop being babies.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/l/louis-xiv/best-little-secrets-are-kept.shtml

Ugly
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/l/louis-xiv/best-little-secrets-are-kept.shtml

Yeah, the guy who wrote that should have a chainsaw shoved up thier ass.

Axis of Action
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
their reviews have been getting dumber and dumber

like they just do random shit for so many of them

it's like they're bored

useless

Ensoul
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel


and some of their reviews are complete jokes.....case in point: read their Louis XIV review. Not quite a fan of the band, but this review is bullshit. They shouldn't criticize anyone until they learn how to fucking write and stop being babies.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/l/louis-xiv/best-little-secrets-are-kept.shtml

their album is a bit higher than 1.2. there are 3 songs on there that are a bit catchy.

Cherub Angel
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Ugly


Yeah, the guy who wrote that should have a chainsaw shoved up thier ass.

most definitely

zerock
04-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Fathoms


seems the ol' pitchfork is getting a little rusty! Your avatar itsss LORNEEEE:D

disslunker
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
I only read pitchfork for the news. And that article was funny.

Look at that tracklisting, guys.

God, I cannot wait for this album just to hate billy corgan more.

Cherub Angel
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by disslunker
I only read pitchfork for the news. And that article was funny.

Look at that tracklisting, guys.

God, I cannot wait for this album just to hate billy corgan more.

why are you here then?

SpFission
04-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I only read pitchfork for the news. And that article was funny.

Wow, if you consider that article funny you must have a weirded out sense of humor. And why the fuck would you want billy's album to suck??? I just don't see the point. ASSSSS.

MMBKG
04-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Ugly


Nobody is cursing Kevin Shields or Jeff Mangum for not being more productive. Seriously. Nobody on the fucking Earth. Not a single soul.

Correct.

daydreamer999
04-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by SpFission


Wow, if you consider that article funny you must have a weirded out sense of humor. And why the fuck would you want billy's album to suck??? I just don't see the point. ASSSSS.

you obviously have no sense of humour.

100%
04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
i really hope that it's a good album-there's so much crap out there at the mo that it would be just fantastic to get a classic Corgan album come along.

However, my hopes waver when i read the song titles:
Sorrows (In Blue)
Pretty, pretty STAR (come on billy, that's just LAME)

It's like "The Crying Tree of Mercury" all over again....

ZackZ
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
The article put a little extra shine on a few hipsters white belts. Fuckers.

SpFission
04-04-2005, 05:50 PM
you obviously have no sense of humour.


HAHA, yea OK. There was not one funny line in the article. Persistently telling yourself its funny won't make it funny., sorry.

PS. Its Humor, not Humour.

Luke de Spa
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
Nobody is cursing Kevin Shields or Jeff Mangum for not being more productive. Seriously. Nobody on the fucking Earth. Not a single soul.
There are a lot of shoegazer nerds still milling around out there, you know.

Anyway, I'd be all for Kevin Shields being more productive, purely on the off-chance that he might write another song as good as "Sometimes".

Wouldn't buy another "Loveless" though, that's for sure... Christ, that must be the most sleep-inducing distorted-guitars-everywhere album of all time. Still, it sounds cool, but it's all production innit?

Phoenix Down
04-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Day Spa

Wouldn't buy another "Loveless" though, that's for sure... Christ, that must be the most sleep-inducing distorted-guitars-everywhere album of all time. Still, it sounds cool, but it's all production innit?

you mean like siamese dream?

who cares if it's all production, as long as it sounds cool?

Luke de Spa
04-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix Down
you mean like siamese dream?

who cares if it's all production, as long as it sounds cool?
I'd take good songs over good production any day. Siamese Dream had both.

Plus the production on Loveless isn't consistent. The guitars sound great, but the drums sound horrible.

Cruiser
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SpFission

PS. Its Humor, not Humour.

Only if you're an ignorant American.

SpFission
04-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Only if you're an ignorant American.

FUCK OFF

Mariner
04-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Day Spa

There are a lot of shoegazer nerds still milling around out there, you know.



Most fitting verb ever.

Sapphire
04-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by SpFission


FUCK OFF

Both spellings are correct though. :erm

Cruiser
04-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sapphire


Both spellings are correct though.

exactly.

Injektilo
04-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Lucky Day Spa

Wouldn't buy another "Loveless" though, that's for sure... Christ, that must be the most sleep-inducing distorted-guitars-everywhere album of all time. Still, it sounds cool, but it's all production innit?

man, you were doing so good with your first 20 posts on netphoria, and then you had to go and diss Loveless.....


.... though what you said was technically true I suppose....


there's nothing wrong with shoegazer nerds though.

Rockin' Cherub
04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
well i think there are lots of reasons to diss loveless. but "sometimes" and the wonderful opener usually calm me down.

Nova
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Love or hate Loveless, I'm sick and tired of everyone saying the Pumpkins ripped off MBV's "sound". The two albums don't sound anything alike whatsoever. Yeah, they might have been an influence on SP, but the two bands were so different that it was impossible for Billy to just steal everything MBV did and use it for himself.

As for Pitchfork... they can just go fuck themselves for all I care. Their reviews are extremely predictable. I can tell what albums are going to get a good or bad review before even reading them. There's being critical of something, and then there's being a pretentious snob.

Luke de Spa
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
man, you were doing so good with your first 20 posts on netphoria, and then you had to go and diss Loveless.....

.... though what you said was technically true I suppose....

there's nothing wrong with shoegazer nerds though.
There are shadowy figures rating my performance? Fucked up right here.

Anyway. Loveless. It's not beyond criticism by any stretch, surely? I wasn't saying it was a piece of shit; it's definitely a good album. It's just not the fantastic awesome super-great-rad lift-up-Kevin-Shields'-rolls-of-euphemistic-cuddliness-and-fellate-him album that people have decided it is.

And yeah, the Pumpkins' guitar sound was informed by MBV and, to a certain extent anyway, both band's chord progression writing is similar at times, although that's probably due to common influences.

Shoegazer nerds, well, I don't think there's anything wrong with them; I just find their music kinda bland. <shrugs> Not my bag, Chet.

All IMHO for those folks who can't sleep at night without such disclaimers.

Nova
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
MBV are indeed overrated. Technically, their songs can be impressive. But Loveless is honestly the only album of theirs that can truly represent what is trying to be done. Everything before that is pretty bad.

Like that "Soft as Snow (but warm inside) song. WTF is that? The intro uses this lame ass synth drumbeat that sounds like the demos from the Yamaha keyboards sold for 10 year olds in the late 80's and early 90's. That shit isn't groundbreaking. :D