View Full Version : Pumpkins Piano Songs


Quiet
03-29-2005, 10:48 AM
I know there have been discussions about what Pumpkins songs would be appropriate to play at a wedding, but which of their songs do you think convert nicely to piano? I'm looking for songs to be played on piano during my actual wedding ceremony next month, so I thought I'd ask you guys for input. I'm definitely going with "MCIS" since it's already on piano and I have the sheet music. I was considering "For Martha", but then I'll think about my mom dying and that won't be fun. Any suggestions (other than "Bodies" and "X.Y.U.", smartasses)?

RockLobster
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
all of those songs are sad. it's a wedding not a funeral

RockLobster
03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
learn guitar and play luna

RockLobster
03-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Quiet
what Pumpkins songs would be appropriate to play at a wedding, but which of their songs do you think convert nicely to piano?

Lily, Once in a while, Let me give the world to you, maybe crush

Quiet
03-29-2005, 11:57 AM
"MCIS" is no sadder than most of the more traditional songs played during ceremonies that I've listened to. We actually are playing "Luna" at the reception.

Quiet
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster


Lily, Once in a while, Let me give the world to you, maybe crush

Hmmm... those are excellent suggestions. I'll have to see if I can find some sheet music for those. Thank you.

Gooch
03-29-2005, 05:04 PM
I have actually always wanted someone to record the pumpkins songs in piano. I would love to hear that on cd. Does anyone know of anyone doing that? i think many of the pumpkins songs would sound amazing in just piano, or even with orchestral backing. I wish they would have "strung out on SP" or a "piano tribute to SP". Anybody willingto do this? I'd buy one!

RopeyLopey
03-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Gooch
I have actually always wanted someone to record the pumpkins songs in piano. I would love to hear that on cd. Does anyone know of anyone doing that? i think many of the pumpkins songs would sound amazing in just piano, or even with orchestral backing. I wish they would have "strung out on SP" or a "piano tribute to SP". Anybody willingto do this? I'd buy one! call Mike Garson!

Quiet
03-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Gooch
I have actually always wanted someone to record the pumpkins songs in piano. I would love to hear that on cd. Does anyone know of anyone doing that? i think many of the pumpkins songs would sound amazing in just piano, or even with orchestral backing. I wish they would have "strung out on SP" or a "piano tribute to SP". Anybody willingto do this? I'd buy one!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd buy it. Maybe they can get Melvoin to record it.

alisonmonster
03-29-2005, 11:12 PM
i still definitely prefer Billy's version of My Bluie Heaven over the original. Its nice and dreamy in his version - it suits the song better.

edit - its a good wedding song.

redbreegull
03-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Does Billy really know how to play piano or did he just kind of teach himself? There's keyboards in many SP songs and they're not credited to anyone, but I've never heard of someone teaching themselves piano before either, and I've also never heard of him commenting on his playing ability.

alisonmonster
03-30-2005, 01:01 AM
i'm fairly certain he taught himself. The piano parts are never very difficult or complex - i think anyone with a little music knowledge and a half decent ear could play those.

btw - i know in my blue heaven it was another pianist

DeviousJ
03-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
I've never heard of someone teaching themselves piano before either
What the christ

I'd drop MCIS in favor of Infinte Sadness actually, same kind of theme but it has a much more uplifting sound

Silver-bolt
03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
thirty three

RockLobster
03-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Does Billy really know how to play piano or did he just kind of teach himself? There's keyboards in many SP songs and they're not credited to anyone, but I've never heard of someone teaching themselves piano before either, and I've also never heard of him commenting on his playing ability.
When I was four I could sit down at the piano and play it. Usually I would hear songs from the radio and I would play them. I didn't know what notes or chords I was playing, but I did learn after I took some lessons. For guitar, pretty much the same thing. Except I only took lessons for a short time because it was pointless cause I could teach myself.

Gooch
03-30-2005, 02:05 PM
"but I've never heard of someone teaching themselves piano before either"

If this was the case, how did the first person to ever play piano learn? He didnt have anyone to teach him.... ;)

Isle
03-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Gooch


If this was the case, how did the first person to ever play piano learn? He didnt have anyone to teach him.... ;)

THE POINT I'VE BEEN MAKING FOR YEARS

Isle
03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
just choreograph the ceremony to thru the eyes of ruby, then your wedding will rock

it is kindof a wedding song anyway

Nimrod's Son
03-30-2005, 06:16 PM
your wife is marrying a loser

Voice Implodes
03-31-2005, 06:12 AM
if there is a god and lily

Quiet
03-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
your wife is marrying a loser

Now that's not very nice.