View Full Version : "Love" Appreciation Thread

Quiet
03-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I find "Love" to be highly underrated. It's not only one of my favorite songs off of MCIS, but one of my favorite SP songs period. Unlike most of their songs with heavy distortion, this one sounds great. I know it sounds gay, but I like the lyrics too... love IS who you know.

Karl Connor
03-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Quiet
I find "Love" to be highly underrated.

ZWANPHONY
03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
I know it sounds gay, but I like the lyrics too... love IS who you know.

it doesn't sound gay...it's an awesome song. the thick guitar rhythm with the flanger and i guess some low-depth tremolo makes it sound awesome. and that solo, man!! i did the solo and then added a cool effect to it using amplitube...sounds hurtful...

machine-gun blues

RockLobster
03-28-2005, 04:19 PM
i like the flange effect in the song. Also the crazy fuzzy guitar solo.

singing sucks and drumming

ZWANPHONY
03-28-2005, 04:22 PM
i think the solo isn't using fuzz, just the flanger and an octave pedal

oh, and the singing and drums rock.

the drums may be tame, but it fits perfect for the song with the big hits.

Sapphire
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
I used to hate it at first, but it's grown on me in a big way. I'm addicted to the pulse of the song, as if it's running its way through my blood. It wakes me up.

Silver-bolt
03-28-2005, 05:57 PM
i used to love the song, then i listened too it too much. but i think i'll listen to again later, cause its been a while

Isle
03-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Unlike most of their songs with heavy distortion, this one sounds great.

please tell me you're joking.

ZombieJesus
03-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I thought this thread was originally about stand inside someone's stuff

Quiet
03-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Isle

please tell me you're joking.

When I said this, I had the stuff from Machina II in mind, most of which I did not like.

wHATcOLOR
03-28-2005, 06:21 PM
i havent listened in some time, pls remind me: is there a part of this song where he sings something not printed in the lyrics? if so, doesn anyone know what it is? thx

Quiet
03-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerome
i havent listened in some time, pls remind me: is there a part of this song where he sings something not printed in the lyrics? if so, doesn anyone know what it is? thx

I believe he says...

"When I lost my mind
I knew I was in for a long ride"

I actually meant to ******* that in my original post... one of my favorite Corgan lines.

tcm
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Unlike most of their songs with heavy distortion, this one sounds great.
i was totally with you until you said this.

Silver-bolt
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM

I believe he says...

"When I lost my mind
I knew I was in for a long ride"

I actually meant to ******* that in my original post... one of my favorite Corgan lines.

i thought it was "...in for the long run"

Sandra
03-28-2005, 08:00 PM
If I was at a strip club and a girl was dancing to that song... I would tip extremely generously.

It's so good it's sexy.

wHATcOLOR
03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Yo quiero Sandra Bullock!

Crono
03-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Is there a good reason why they never played this live? I've never seen it on a setlist at least.

And the solo is the coolest one on MCIS.

Quiet
03-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by tcm

i was totally with you until you said this.

I was totally with you until YOU said THIS. Someone made the comment long ago that "Love" sounds like something that could've come from Machina II. I agree, but unlike most of the stuff on Machina II, I actually enjoy "Love". So... yeah. I'm no distortion hater.

tcm
03-28-2005, 08:51 PM
unlike most of the stuff on Machina II, I actually enjoy
you don't seem to understand that this is the problem.

Thoughtless
03-28-2005, 08:56 PM
The solo uses a harmonizer, beetches.

Quiet
03-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by tcm

you don't seem to understand that this is the problem.

Umm, okay. Well no, I don't really like Machina II. It's mainly the production I don't care for, the songs are alright.

tcm
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
anyway, Love is pretty great.

stereotonic24
03-28-2005, 09:52 PM
i definitely agree. the first time i heard love it immediately reminded me of Machina II, mainly that song Dross.

Quiet
03-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by stereotonic24
i definitely agree. the first time i heard love it immediately reminded me of Machina II, mainly that song Dross.

You heard Machina II before you heard MCIS? Nothing wrong with that, it just struck me as strange for some reason.

ZWANPHONY
03-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Thoughtless
The solo uses a harmonizer, beetches.

oh, that eventide h3000... yeah i have one of those in my garage, traded it for my car. :rolleyes:

Voice Implodes
03-28-2005, 11:56 PM
when i first got MCIS, my favorite songs on it were zero, bullet, fuck you, love, and porcelina. it took me a while to get to disc 2, i lvoed disc 1 so much. remember this is back in nov. 1995.

but yeah, love rocks.

Diamond Dream
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Love was my favorite song off MCIS in the early days after buying it. I haven't listened to it for a really long time now. Maybe I should.

Voice Implodes
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Diamond Dream
Love was my favorite song off MCIS in the early days after buying it. I haven't listened to it for a really long time now. Maybe I should.

yes. yes you should.

SomaPhreak
03-29-2005, 01:41 AM
The instrumental version on MCIS Demos II is really cool. I like it at the faster tempo, and it contains a couple of neat variations on that riff. No awesome Iha solo, but still quite enjoyable.

ZWANPHONY
03-29-2005, 02:36 AM
yeah, def listen to it...

dude, if you ever heard xyu after hearing dawn to dusk, then you would immediately start listening to twilight to starlight!

and it's got freaking bodies, tteor, and 33 as well!

here is no why is an addicting song as well. i hardly listen to cupid de locke anymore and when i do i fast-forward to the end where billy just talks. i love that part.

it's amazing how we can all talk about an album that's been out almost 10 years and never get tired of it.

The Smashing Pumpkins | God's favorite band :D

seign
03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Its an okay song. Kind of anti-climatic though. It could have been better.

Luke de Spa
03-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by ZWANPHONY
it's amazing how we can all talk about an album that's been out almost 10 years and never get tired of it.

The Smashing Pumpkins | God's favorite band :D
You never got over being an angsty teenager?

In hindsight MCIS is bloated and contains 50% pointlessly vague/stupid lyrics. Plus, you know, Flood, Flood, lousy fucking Flood...

However, not even Flood could stop "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" from rocking my angry socks every single time, so I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from.

Still, 3/5 stars at any volume! (Loses one star for stupid lyrics, half a star for bad production and half a star for crap metal riffs.)

vbshlofbvgos
03-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Day Spa
In hindsight MCIS is bloated and contains 50% pointlessly vague/stupid lyrics.
wtf?
you have no vision.
and thats all i have to say about that

:noway:

ciGarski
03-29-2005, 10:16 PM

In hindsight MCIS is bloated and contains 50% pointlessly vague/stupid lyrics. Plus, you know, Flood, Flood, lousy fucking Flood...

However, not even Flood could stop "Thru the Eyes of Ruby" from rocking my angry socks every single time, so I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from.

Still, 3/5 stars at any volume! (Loses one star for stupid lyrics, half a star for bad production and half a star for crap metal riffs.)

fuck this post

Luke de Spa
03-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by vbshlofbvgos

wtf?
you have no vision.
and thats all i have to say about that

I don't have the time, sadly, but I'm sure it could be demonstrated that at least 50% of MCIS's lyrics are either just plain stupid ("The world is a vampire" etc. etc.) or pointlessly vague ("Graceful swans of never topple to the earth" yeah, the imagery is interesting but if it doesn't mean anything, what's the point?).

It doesn't take vision to see this; it requires blindness to miss it, surely...

Luke de Spa
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ciGarki
fuck this post
Hey, at least I'm being rational. What's wrong with being presented with divergent opinions from time to time?

Quiet
03-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Ummm... no.

Luke de Spa
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Ummm... no.
Well, that's definitely put me in my place.

(P.S. "MELLON COLLIE FUCKEN RULESES!!!!!!!" isn't axiomatic. That's a free protip.)

ZWANPHONY
03-30-2005, 12:59 AM

(Loses one star for stupid lyrics, half a star for bad production and half a star for crap metal riffs.)

okay, have you ever listened to real metal? metal is far off from any of pumpkins riffs...so of course none of billy's riffs sound like metal riffs. so how can he lose half a star?

oh and your bwbw post later on, i wrote a whole short paper on this song as an assignment in highschool...i saw what the lyrics meant and wrote about them, if i go home and remember i'll see if i can find it.

"the world is a vampire, sent to drain" bit can be easily seen as the wor.d will drain you of energy, the world we live in seems to stray us from real, traditional life, it drains us of that...the world will suck the blood from you just like a vampire if you turn your head for a split second. you need to be aware of the vampire/world and be ahead of it at all times or you will be tired (after being bitten) and lifeless such. billy could be talking about how much the fans expect out of him, they want more and better music than that of which he has already composed.

this can surely be interpreted differently, you just need to think about stuff a little more before going off and blabbing of something you know little of.

you wouldn't be happy if your professor started talking about thermodynamics and didn't use any of newton's laws to back up his material, this is how i feel, you're blabbing about something and ignoring the already known facts. mcis disc two is not supposed to have a metal sound.

Luke de Spa
03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ZWANPHONY
okay, have you ever listened to real metal? metal is far off from any of pumpkins riffs...so of course none of billy's riffs sound like metal riffs. so how can he lose half a star?
"Metal" is a pretty broad spectrum, and listening to the progression of the Pumpkins, it's quite obvious that BC listened to a great deal of metal, presumably many sub-genres. "I Am One" cribs "Paradise City", FFS.

Anyway, if you don't like me describing anything on MCIS as "crap metal riffs", feel free to amend it to "crap riffs". "Tales of a Scorched Earth" sucks for a lot of reasons, but the main one is the crap (metal! Hard rock! Who cares, they're still awful) riffs.

oh and your bwbw post later on, i wrote a whole short paper on this song as an assignment in highschool...i saw what the lyrics meant and wrote about them, if i go home and remember i'll see if i can find it.

"the world is a vampire, sent to drain" bit can be easily seen as the wor.d will drain you of energy, the world we live in seems to stray us from real, traditional life, it drains us of that...the world will suck the blood from you just like a vampire if you turn your head for a split second. you need to be aware of the vampire/world and be ahead of it at all times or you will be tired (after being bitten) and lifeless such. billy could be talking about how much the fans expect out of him, they want more and better music than that of which he has already composed.

this can surely be interpreted differently, you just need to think about stuff a little more before going off and blabbing of something you know little of.

you wouldn't be happy if your professor started talking about thermodynamics and didn't use any of newton's laws to back up his material, this is how i feel, you're blabbing about something and ignoring the already known facts. mcis disc two is not supposed to have a metal sound.
I didn't say "The world is a vampire" was meaningless, I said it was stupid. Please read my posts more thoroughly. (I gave an example of a meaningless line, and that was from "33", not "BWBW".)

Back to the point. "The world is a vampire" is an unsophisticated, clumsy metaphor. What it implies is painfully obvious, and that certainly doesn't make it a good lyric. It's the kind of drek that high school goths come up with. Same goes for the rest of the song.

As for your "known facts", uh, you want to tell me what broader genres "Bodies", "ToaSE" and "X.Y.U." fall under? New wave? Bubblegum? The instrumentation especially is more or less a straight hard rock/metal blend to my ears.

What anyone's said about the album is irrelevant; the only thing that matters is what the album sounds like. If I make a metal album and go around telling everyone it was "supposed to have an acoustic sound", well, that doesn't make the album acoustic it just makes me wrong.

At any rate, MCIS still has plenty of good stuff going for it. For every crap metal riffs (yeah, hello "Zero", I'll agree with BC's assessment of "cyber-metal". Sadly "cyber-metal" turned out to suck) there's a great song with unambiguous, meaningful lyrics like "Galapogos". And yeah, what I already said about "Ruby" rocking my angry socks.

vbshlofbvgos
03-30-2005, 07:49 AM

I don't have the time, sadly, but I'm sure it could be demonstrated that at least 50% of MCIS's lyrics are either just plain stupid ("The world is a vampire" etc. etc.) or pointlessly vague ("Graceful swans of never topple to the earth" yeah, the imagery is interesting but if it doesn't mean anything, what's the point?).

It doesn't take vision to see this; it requires blindness to miss it, surely... Well I think its just a matter of opinion then. Just because you don't like the lyrics does not make them pointless or stupid. You said yourself that the lyrics conjure up some striking imagery so that in itself makes them not to be pointless. I don't like all of the lyrics myself but I think all of the songs really blend together with the theme of the album.

Rockin' Cherub
03-30-2005, 09:16 AM
the drumming is awful, the singing too. but the solo (especially the noisy beginning) make up for it.

Luke de Spa
03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by vbshlofbvgos
Well I think its just a matter of opinion then. Just because you don't like the lyrics does not make them pointless or stupid. You said yourself that the lyrics conjure up some striking imagery so that in itself makes them not to be pointless. I don't like all of the lyrics myself but I think all of the songs really blend together with the theme of the album.
You've got the causal chain confused. The lyrics aren't bad where I dislike them; rather, I dislike them where they're bad.

The only way "The world is a vampire" could ever be considered to have any depth/sophistication would be if it were a cynical joke (i.e. "The world sucks", sarcastically deriding the stereotypical angsty teenager who was the band's target market at the time), and that's not the impression I get from the song.

As for the striking images somehow being enough, well, I obviously disagree. What use are such devices if they don't carry any meaning? In any case, it would be fair to say that striking images would be generally better if they contained some weight, some meaning, right? If you agree with this, then at the very least you'd be forced to agree that a lot of MCIS's lyrics simply aren't as good as they could've been and this is objective (based on a self-evident standard), so it's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Taste. Hrm. Yes, I suppose there is an element of taste here, but it's not a significant one. Maybe this will help explain where I'm coming from: comparing T.S. Eliot to Keats is largely down to subjective taste because the calibre of both is demonstrably very high; comparing T.S. Eliot to goth poets is not down to taste because T.S. Eliot was demonstrably brilliant and goth poets are demonstrably retarded. Essentially: things only come down to subjective taste when they're objectively at similar levels of quality.

Quiet
03-30-2005, 04:00 PM

You've got the causal chain confused. The lyrics aren't bad where I dislike them; rather, I dislike them where they're bad.

The only way "The world is a vampire" could ever be considered to have any depth/sophistication would be if it were a cynical joke (i.e. "The world sucks", sarcastically deriding the stereotypical angsty teenager who was the band's target market at the time), and that's not the impression I get from the song.

As for the striking images somehow being enough, well, I obviously disagree. What use are such devices if they don't carry any meaning? In any case, it would be fair to say that striking images would be generally better if they contained some weight, some meaning, right? If you agree with this, then at the very least you'd be forced to agree that a lot of MCIS's lyrics simply aren't as good as they could've been and this is objective (based on a self-evident standard), so it's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Taste. Hrm. Yes, I suppose there is an element of taste here, but it's not a significant one. Maybe this will help explain where I'm coming from: comparing T.S. Eliot to Keats is largely down to subjective taste because the calibre of both is demonstrably very high; comparing T.S. Eliot to goth poets is not down to taste because T.S. Eliot was demonstrably brilliant and goth poets are demonstrably retarded. Essentially: things only come down to subjective taste when they're objectively at similar levels of quality.

If I were a magician, I would make you disappear.

Quiet
03-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Again, this is your opinion. The lyrics are bad <i>to you</i> where <i>you</i> dislike them.

It's a metaphor that sets the tone for the theme of the rest of the song. It's not meant to blow you away, it's just meant to serve a purpose, which it does quite nicely.

"Striking images" are usually used to paint a picture in the listener's mind. From this picture, they develop a certain feeling. So if striking images can effectively cause the listener to feel a certain way, then yes, they DO carry meaning. And no, nothing you said in this entire post is objective... it's all subjective, based upon your personal beliefs. Please don't try to pass off your opinions as being facts. Everyone hates people who do that.

You do make a good point here, although it's largely irrelevant. Nobody is comparing Billy Corgan's lyrics to Eliot or Keats... all we're saying is that they're not "stupid", as you so eloquently put it.

ZWANPHONY
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM

depth means something has meaning or something that is profound. so yes, i was right, you consider it meaningless. if "the world is a vampire" was taken sarcastically as "the world sucks" i don't understand how this has more depth and sophistication. that is not at all complex. your points you make send you further in the wrong direction my friend. :(

so, i give up on you. you have your opinions and me and the rest of the world have our opinions.

1 out of every centillion individuals agree with you, but then again that may be a bit too high. :p

i hope you learn to like corgan's lyrics.