View Full Version : Digital Pumpkins And A Brand New Billy


GrungeGuy
03-22-2005, 02:28 PM
According to an article on KrockRadio.com
http://krockradio.com/grammy/local_story_081122718.html

Music News for March 22, 2005

Music News compiled by Westwood One

Mar 22, 2005 12:19 pm US/Eastern

Digital Pumpkins And A Brand New Billy

The Smashing Pumpkins are going digital. Audiences can now revisit the band’s back catalog, as 227 songs will soon premiere on the digital world stage. Singer Billy Corgan had a hand in overseeing the project. “I am proud to make so much of our music available under one roof. The future has finally arrived, and I’m excited that this is only just the beginning, there is so much more to come.” The collection *******s 113 album tracks, plus 114 rarities and b-sides, and will all be available via an online digital domain as of April 5th. Fans can also get ringtunes for songs such as “Disarm,” “1979,” “Today,” “Tonight, Tonight,” and “Bullet With Butterfly Wings” for the first time. In related news, Billy Corgan, who has spent much of the year working on music for his solo album, has titled the new effort, “TheFutureEmbrace.” A release date was not revealed.

Spaldz
03-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Oh my..

Spaldz
03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Another link to this apparent pumpkins digital:

http://www.vmg.co.uk/news2529

Cool As Ice Cream
03-22-2005, 03:06 PM
http://www.blamonet.com/vb/images/icons/icon1.gif Oh my. That's horrible.

mistle
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
:/

NilSineDeo
03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream
http://www.blamonet.com/vb/images/icons/icon1.gif Oh my. That's horrible.


why's this bad?

Cool As Ice Cream
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by NilSineDeo
why's this bad? Well, we were expecting a rarities box set but apparently we're getting an online music store. I don't care for online music stores. :(

teh b0lly!!1
03-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
According to an article on KrockRadio.com
http://krockradio.com/grammy/local_story_081122718.html

In related news, Billy Corgan, who has spent much of the year working on music for his solo album, has titled the new effort, “TheFutureEmbrace.” A release date was not revealed.

im starting to think this might actually be the name for the new record

RockLobster
03-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream
Well, we were expecting a rarities box set but apparently we're getting an online music store. I don't care for online music stores. :(

uh this could be totally different.

RockLobster
03-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Also if there isn't a boxset who cares. If we are getting new unreleased material from that site, that fuckin rocks!

Cool As Ice Cream
03-22-2005, 03:46 PM
It could be different. I hope so.

Do you think we should expect a lot of new stuff from that site? And what will my elite and snobbish heart feel when it's only available in mp3?

Cool As Ice Cream
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by teh b0lly!!1
im starting to think this might actually be the name for the new record oh yeah, i forgot. the "that's horrible" was also directed towards that fact.

Spaldz
03-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Mp3 or not I don't care. New material would be fantastic

smashing0
03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
as 227 songs will soon premiere on the digital world stage....plus 114 rarities and b-sides rarities and bsides
only 114
what's the likeliness that we already have all of these in circulation?

NilSineDeo
03-22-2005, 04:25 PM
didn't ChoobieWoobie, in his thread that started the rumor of a new release, say that Billy was looking online to see what was already circulating? He also claims he doesn't recognize many song names that he heard, so hopefully Billy's releasing a bunch of stuff we've never heard.

RockLobster
03-22-2005, 04:38 PM
im sure people will have the option to download either mp3's flacs or shns.

smashing0
03-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster
im sure people will have the option to download either mp3's flacs or shns. i sure hope so
:D

DamingR
03-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, based on some of the people who have been working for Billy, I would guess we might get a FLAC or SHN option.

Or, they could hose us and use WMV or something to try to copy-protect the material.


Something to consider...

SpFission
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
you people cant be pleased.......no matter what the title of the album ended up being, you still would have been disappointed, and YOU KNOW IT. I see this as tremendous news..

The New
03-22-2005, 06:38 PM
There's no way there'll be SHN or FLAC
And though a box-set would be so much better,at least this way it's actually going to happen :)

Axl Rose
03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
its gonna be awesome, know what I;m sayin?!:D

The New
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Spaldz
Another link to this apparent pumpkins digital:

http://www.vmg.co.uk/news2529

That page says the ringtones were released this week by "EMM"
I tried google couldn't find this place
Does anyone know it?

NilSineDeo
03-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild


That page says the ringtones were released this week by "EMM"
I tried google couldn't find this place
Does anyone know it?

yeah, Virgin Mobile has them up on their site. I stumbled across them Sunday.

The New
03-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Also,this is part of an email someone recieved from a radio station that talked about the release

According to them it's gonna be released on iTunes etc.


THE SMASHING PUMPKINS GO DIGITAL

The Smashing Pumpkins will enter the world of legal downloading on April
5th as the band's entire catalog becomes available online. 227 songs, of
which just over half are non-album tracks, will be accessible to fans
through various online music services, including iTunes, Napster, Sony
Connect, Rhapsody and several others. Pumpkins frontman and founder
Billy Corgan said in a statement, ""I am proud to make so much of our
music available under one roof. The future has finally arrived, and I'm
excited that this is only just the beginning, there is so much more to
come."
* The Pumpkins' longtime label, Virgin Records, is also offering
special prices on the band's CDs at retail stores as part of the
promotional campaign surrounding the catalog's digital debut.
* In addition to the 113 tracks that originally appeared on the
band's albums, 114 non-album tracks will be offered online. These
******* rare imports, out-of-print songs, obscure covers, soundtrack
releases, vinyl-only B-sides and limited editions.

christian zombie vampires
03-22-2005, 09:43 PM
that's pretty cool about the rare unreleased tracks, have other bands made those available? i've heard every track out there as of now i think, but a lot of it i got by finding someone who had it and bugging them to send me a copy, sending someone a blank CD in the mail or spending hours on soulseek looking for it. paying $1 will be way more convenient.

Corganist
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't think this is such a bad thing at all...so long as its not the big project that everyone's been buzzing about (I want a box set dammit!). It'd be nice to be able to get some of the vinyl and rare tracks that I haven't actually....you know, ever paid for officially because of the fact that I don't own a turntable.

TiaraGurl
03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
hopefully you won't have to buy the whole damn thing to get the rarer stuff ala U2 awhile ago.

ZWANPHONY
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by SpFission
you people cant be pleased.......no matter what the title of the album ended up being, you still would have been disappointed, and YOU KNOW IT. I see this as tremendous news..

way-way-way-wait...WHAT DO YOU MEAN " YOU PEOPLE" ?!??!?

;)

Dead
03-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster
im sure people will have the option to download either mp3's flacs or shns.
In yer dreams.

What a disaster this is, unless there is also a real life release. :cry:

Dead
03-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild

* In addition to the 113 tracks that originally appeared on the
band's albums, 114 non-album tracks will be offered online. These
******* rare imports, out-of-print songs, obscure covers, soundtrack
releases, vinyl-only B-sides and limited editions.
Lame, we will have many of these. And I don't want some crap 128kbit apple file with digital rights management.

Also, what's he saying about "under one roof" and then saying it'll be available at all these different sites? Stupid!! Releasing them in a real store would also be under one roof dammit. ARGGHH!

I blame Choobie. :crazy:

Reyngel
03-22-2005, 11:42 PM
If "The Future Embrace" is confirmed here, does that mean that that the "BC Post 2005" that we all thought was fake is actually legit?

Dead
03-22-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm going to be complaining about this every day until April 5th, and then I will probably keep going. DAMMIT@!!!

Dead
03-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Well he does have an iPod. I bet he listens with the lowest quality setting and says it sounds awesome like old analog distortion from the 70s.

Ramdust
03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel
If "The Future Embrace" is confirmed here, does that mean that that the "BC Post 2005" that we all thought was fake is actually legit?

yes

ZWANPHONY
03-23-2005, 03:51 AM
wow, haven't seen you around in forever ramdust...(foreverlasting gaze from the o-board, before it went crazy)

:D

deadster, billy has a Rio i hear...

itunes offering flac's and shn's HAHAH UR FUNNY!

Dead
03-23-2005, 09:31 AM
A rio, ew. They had his featured celebrity playlist on iTunes a while ago.

Starla
03-23-2005, 10:13 AM
holy shit it's ramdust

<-- asherahx ( if you remember me )

purelunacy77
03-23-2005, 10:14 AM
So I guess it's TheFutureEmbrace like it or not

azvd
03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
plus 114 rarities and b-sides

I'm sure someone will get the Virgin promo and share on the HUB in CD quality. :D

Dead
03-23-2005, 10:30 AM
But... iTunes IS cd quality! :confused:

Cool As Ice Cream
03-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild
There's no way there'll be SHN or FLACI also think it isn't very likely that songs will be available in lossless formats. It is possible though.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter all that much. "New" rarities are always welcome.

The worse thing is that I won't be able to buy it, since digital music stores require credit cards and I don't have one. Or PayPal accounts. But I can't get a PayPal account because I'm in Belgium and you need a credit card here in order to put money on your account. :(

zerock
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
everyone chill., im sure there will be various alternatives to getting the music. not just itunes etc.
and i read something about a 4 CD disc, with rarities?

Dead
03-23-2005, 11:12 AM
DVD Jon has developed a way to purchase from the iTunes store using linux and bypassing digital rights management. That guy is Conan!

http://news.com.com/DVD+Jon+reopens+iTunes+back+door/2100-1027_3-5630703.html

Cool As Ice Cream
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Dead
Lame, we will have many of these.Indeed. That description looks a lot like hard to find songs. And not like unreleased songs.

I'm not waiting for an mp3 download of Bullet Train To Osaka, Never Let Me Down Again or The End Is The Beginning Is The End.

I hope there will be some really unheard stuff too. And even more that there will be a real box set release too somewhere in the future.

ckitten
03-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dead
DVD Jon has developed a way to purchase from the iTunes store using linux and bypassing digital rights management. That guy is Conan!

http://news.com.com/DVD+Jon+reopens+iTunes+back+door/2100-1027_3-5630703.html

And the next day Apple shut it down:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116440

And then DVD Jon and his team opened it back up to Linux users. A little tit-for-tat I guess.

-ckitten

CherubDaydream
03-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Dead
A rio, ew. They had his featured celebrity playlist on iTunes a while ago.

<img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/CherubDaydream/BillysPlaylistfulljpg.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">

Dead
03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ckitten


And the next day Apple shut it down:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116440

And then DVD Jon and his team opened it back up to Linux users. A little tit-for-tat I guess.

-ckitten
Yeah I keep reading about these guys cracking Apple's new encryptions less than 24 hrs after they're introduced. :D

Don't know why they bother, iTunes files are crap anyway.

Dead
03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by CherubDaydream


<img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/CherubDaydream/BillysPlaylistfulljpg.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">
Who in their right mind would go from an iPod to a rio? Guess this is final proof that BC has lost his marbles.

zerock
03-23-2005, 11:52 AM
maybe he has both.

Dead
03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Maybe he doesn't have a rio at all.

I have this piece of crap RioVolt mp3 cd player. Who wants it? Mint condition.

Corganist
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream
Indeed. That description looks a lot like hard to find songs. And not like unreleased songs.

I'm not waiting for an mp3 download of Bullet Train To Osaka, Never Let Me Down Again or The End Is The Beginning Is The End.

I think it'd be worth it to download something like Bullet Train, or Purr Snickety, or any of the other vinyl-only stuff floating around out there. A nice digital version of those songs, sourced from the master, might sound better than the vinyl rips we're all accustomed to. (Even if its lossy).

That makes me wonder if M2 might be *******d in the deal. If it is, I wonder if it'll end up being a better rip than the one's we have. Would suck to have to pay for it though...

Dead
03-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I would gladly pay for all of that if it was a real life release. I'm not paying regular CD prices (which is what iTunes often charges, if not more) for some crap 128Kbit digital rights managed AAC files.

zerock
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
hey maybe its the machina mystery unfolding??
:think: :warp:
:p

Cool As Ice Cream
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Corganist
A nice digital version of those songs, sourced from the master, might sound better than the vinyl rips we're all accustomed to.I didn't think of that.

And I don't think you should expect a non-vinyl sourced version of M2.

ChoobieWoobie
03-23-2005, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't have much faith in lossless formats being available, especially if these releases correspond with ITunes. I am also really hoping that these digital downloads are not the 5 cd's worth of material that I was told about. If the non-album songs are what was described to me, then these songs are more than likely songs that we have never heard, or even heard of. I am praying for a box set.....something that I can hold in my hands. Something that has a lot of kickass artwork like the TAFH boxset. Even if we don't get some "concrete" release. Maybe billy will make the most of this music store and release some goods to us.

-choob

douglas78
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
all i have to say is why would i want to sit and download studio tracks from a back catalog when i can still buy all the studio albums at media play, best buy. it's like they are somehow saying that since we cant get anymore albums he's gonna do us a big favor. maybe all of the albums are only still for sale in illinois. i dont know. i do want the rare shit though..

Woody
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I can't believe how utterly awful this is.

This is worse than the new Weezer song.

First, a 5cd rarities/live box set...

...which turns out to be just the back catalogue on itunes.

Then, a really crazy, immature post about Billy's solo album...

...turns out to be genuine!

Fuck, I'm not sure I want to hear Billy's new stuff anymore.

redbreegull
03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I don't like this idea at all. I don't want to pay some site so I can download Pumpkins stuff. I seriously hope that this either misinformation gone amuck or that there will be an accompanying box set.

Corganist
03-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions when you say that this news somehow rules out the possibility of a box set. I suppose that could be right, but I don't really see where you can automatically relationship. Just because we hear that Billy is planning something doesn't mean that the next piece of news we should hear is the plan. This digital thing is every bit just as likely to be completely seperate undertaking than the other SP projects rumored.

I know we're all SP fans and all, but don't be too quick to dispair.

pineapple*soul
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Corganist
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions when you say that this news somehow rules out the possibility of a box set. I suppose that could be right, but I don't really see where you can automatically relationship. Just because we hear that Billy is planning something doesn't mean that the next piece of news we should hear is the plan. This digital thing is every bit just as likely to be completely seperate undertaking than the other SP projects rumored.

I know we're all SP fans and all, but don't be too quick to dispair.

also, it could be a digital release of all the stuff thats gonna be in the box set

thats what im hoping

Axis of Action
03-23-2005, 01:42 PM
I dislike online music stores but more Pumpkins is more Pumpkins and fuck all if I won't buy whatever it is he has to sell that I don't already own.

Sapphire
03-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Corganist
I know we're all SP fans and all, but don't be too quick to dispair.

Isn't that the whole point of being an SP fan?

Spaldz
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I reckon his new album should be called "The Future's Embrace". Sounds better.

mistle
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
i don't understand what the point of putting the music up for sale as mp3s is. the songs that are already out there we're not gonna download again and new listeners don't care enough to wanna pay for them anyway. if there's gonna be new songs released only those who are already fans are going to give a fuck and everyone knows we'd much rather have a record or at least shns come out instead of crappy mp3s. oh and fucking ringtones?! welcome to the future :rolleyes:

Rockin' Cherub
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
this might sound awesome to the regular guy but it's a fuck you to the fans who expected something better than that.

Dead
03-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mistle
if there's gonna be new songs released only those who are already fans are going to give a fuck and everyone knows we'd much rather have a record or at least shns come out instead of crappy mp3s.
As much as this iTunes thing pisses me off, I'd bet that most of the SP fan base would be overjoyed with mp3s or whatever lossy file types are going to be available. Not a lot of em care about lossless music or even understand the concept. This is my suspicion/theory/guess.

seign
03-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
I don't like this idea at all. I don't want to pay some site so I can download Pumpkins stuff. I seriously hope that this either misinformation gone amuck or that there will be an accompanying box set.

I don't see why everyone is so quick to complain about this. If you don't like what's for sale, don't buy it. A lot of you are acting like Billy is twisting your arm to make you buy this stuff. It sounds like we'll be able to buy and download the songs track by track so just pick up the songs you want and leave the stuff you already have alone. And if the quality of the songs isn't as good as you hoped, don't download anything I guess.

Originally posted by Corganist
I think some of you are jumping to conclusions when you say that this news somehow rules out the possibility of a box set. I suppose that could be right, but I don't really see where you can automatically relationship. Just because we hear that Billy is planning something doesn't mean that the next piece of news we should hear is the plan. This digital thing is every bit just as likely to be completely seperate undertaking than the other SP projects rumored.

I know we're all SP fans and all, but don't be too quick to dispair.
[/B]

I agree with this post. It's possible that Billy ran across a bunch of unreleased/unheard material while going through the vaults for this digital release. He could be holding back the good stuff for a future box set or something.

mistle
03-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Dead

As much as this iTunes thing pisses me off, I'd bet that most of the SP fan base would be overjoyed with mp3s or whatever lossy file types are going to be available. Not a lot of em care about lossless music or even understand the concept. This is my suspicion/theory/guess.

yeah i guess you're right. come to think of it it's not that long ago that i didn't care either.. but you'd think billy as an artist would

this all just sounds like a publicity thing to me. why not just put up the new songs that he wants us to hear on his own site and in good quality?

Corganist
03-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
this might sound awesome to the regular guy but it's a fuck you to the fans who expected something better than that.
Any fan who feels like they're getting a 'fuck you' out of this deal has their own problems. You have absolutely no reason to have expected anything better than this. The band has been a total and complete non-entity since it broke up. This is the first official move related to SP that has been made in years, and yet we have people bitching that they didn't come out with a hardcore fan's wet dream box set as their first step back into public view. If we had anything more than vague rumors and wild imagination to support our dreams the ultimate box set, that'd be one thing. But its silly to take it as an affront when the band hasn't done *anything at all* in the last four years, much less anything that would raise anybody's hopes.

Yes, hardcore fans probably won't get much out of this. Boo fucking hoo. Look at the big picture. If tomorrow, the Pumpkins put out the rumored dream box set we're all wanting, it would bomb commercially. The Metro DVD would probably do alright. But both of those releases will do much better if people are re-introduced to the Smashing Pumpkins before they come out. That way, they're not pouring money into a release that will be bought by a few thousand hardcore fans, tops.

Face it, SP wasn't really on the tip of everyone's tongue even towards the end of when they were together. Putting the catalogue online is a good first step in reeling back old fans who say "I remember them!" or even *gasp* bringing in new fans. More interest = more commercial viability = an eventual release of the stuff we really want.

Dead
03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Corganist's post pissed me off at first, but the last part made sense.

wHATcOLOR
03-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Corganist



that was definitely the most level-headed and well stated take on this whole thing that i have read. good stuff

purelunacy77
03-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Amen Corganist ...I agree %100

mistle
03-23-2005, 06:21 PM
yeah boo fucking hoo, but i must admit i don't care about the big picture. sure, commercial viability will increase the chances of getting 'the stuff we really want', but that's just assuming billy's only trying to make as much money as possible. he could do it anytime he wants to. i guess i just don't see the point in trying to re-commercialize the band

smashing0
03-23-2005, 06:39 PM
how many fan bases do you think would bitch and moan when 114 rarities and bsides are announced to be released in 2 weeks?
:confused:

Dead
03-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by smashing0
how many fan bases do you think would bitch and moan when 114 rarities and bsides are announced to be released in 2 weeks?
:confused:
We will have most of the rarities & b-sides, and were hoping/expecting non-mp3/iTunes crap. So give us a break for bitching and moaning.

You people are saying we're ingrateful assholes for being disappointed. Let us be pissed, if you don't like it then go read a book. Might I suggest Blinking With Fists?

mistle
03-23-2005, 06:47 PM
lol

Corganist
03-23-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by mistle
yeah boo fucking hoo, but i must admit i don't care about the big picture. sure, commercial viability will increase the chances of getting 'the stuff we really want', but that's just assuming billy's only trying to make as much money as possible. he could do it anytime he wants to. i guess i just don't see the point in trying to re-commercialize the band
Well, there's always gonna be cynicism involved when there's money to be made, but I really think that "re-commercializing" the band is more of a way to establish the band's legacy than it is a cash cow. I know we like to think around here that time will prove us right when we say SP is one of the greatest bands of their era. (Okay, well...I say that. I won't speak for everyone.) But the band has been underexposed for the past few years, and though most people (casual music fans) still remember them fondly, it seems like there are fewer and fewer people each year who remember them at all.

I don't think anyone has any illusions about the Pumpkins regaining anywhere near their old popularity as a result of putting their catalogue online. No one's gonna get rich off of it. (A reunion, on the other hand...) But it at least gets people besides us obsessed fans talking about the band again. I think thats the most important thing.

Then again, I may be totally wrong, and this might be the only thing SP has planned (aside from the Metro DVD). If that's the case, I'll be disappointed, but I won't take it as personally some people in this thread seem to have done.

mistle
03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
oh bugger now i have to agree with you too

Dead
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
The band has been underexposed because it doesn't exist anymore. I don't see the point in "repopularizing" SP or getting more exposure, it doesn't exist. If it's not about money then there's not much point in getting non-fans talking about the band. If it's all about the money, then that's one reason to repopularize it.

smashing0
03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dead

We will have most of the rarities & b-sides, and were hoping/expecting non-mp3/iTunes crap. So give us a break for bitching and moaning.

You people are saying we're ingrateful assholes for being disappointed. Let us be pissed, if you don't like it then go read a book. Might I suggest Blinking With Fists? i'm bitching and moaning too
i just find it kinda funny that's all

Dead
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by smashing0
i'm bitching and moaning too

Then we is cool.

Sapphire
03-23-2005, 07:20 PM
I think the general air of being pissed off as an SP fan these days does carry some weight behind it. What Corganist has pointed out is extremely level headed. He's right on most of his arguments too. Problem is, he doesn't look at the whole picture.

We like SP. None of us would cream our pants any harder if SP was still the force it once was. Problem is, that can never happen. And I'm not talking about popularity as much as I am the actual music. The Pumpkins don't produce anything anymore (duh, I know, but bare with me). All the solo efforts so far have been pretty much miss. Not that it's bad perse, but that it doesn't hold a candle to what the group did when they were together. Billy has adopted a feel-good attitude, his lyrical abilities seem to be fading and his last release (Zwan) missed more than one mark on several fronts. For any SP fan, this is about as low as you could get.

I am not going to discredit his upcoming release, 'cause that would just be silly, but to say that the attitude around here is more of a cautious waiting than a fever pitch crescendo is putting it lightly. We hear word from an unofficial source that we're going to be getting some sort of box-set of unreleased material, and it seems that our prayers have been answered.

Material from SP's high point.

Then we find out that the releases are most likely (a good 95% probably) going to consist of stuff that we already have. Maybe it's not as static-y. Maybe it's lossless. But who cares. We've heard it before (again, most likely).

So, you know what. We've earned a right to bitch and complain. We're not all loyal fans because the SP were a mediocre band. We're diehard fans 'cause they fucking pushed the envelope in ways that were once thought impossible (*cough*Soma*cough*). Watching the decline of the whole operation has been heart shattering in more ways than one. So while the level-headed approach would most definately be, "Be glad with what you got," we're not level headed. We're fans. We expect the best. And when we don't get it - we get pissed.

Oh yeah, and he named his newest CD "TheFutureEmbrace."

mistle
03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Dead
The band has been underexposed because it doesn't exist anymore. I don't see the point in "repopularizing" SP or getting more exposure, it doesn't exist. If it's not about money then there's not much point in getting non-fans talking about the band. If it's all about the money, then that's one reason to repopularize it.

the legacy thing makes sense to me, though. as a fan i naturally like the idea of other people getting into this music and enjoying it like i do, so trying to get it across to as many people as possible is a good thing. but i don't see how putting these songs up for sale in inferior quality is gonna make a difference. i don't mind, except it's a waste of time and i can't help but think this is really about the money. the best way to get new people into the pumpkins now is to blow them away with the solo project

smashing0
03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Sapphire summary
"fan is short for fanatic and don't you forget it"

Sapphire
03-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by smashing0
summary
"fan is short for fanatic and don't you forget it"

:rofl:

Right on.

Dead
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Sapphire is my daddy.

Reyngel
03-23-2005, 07:40 PM
1. Obviously this whole "digital online catalogue" thing isn't the main project that Billy's been cooking up. The project Billy's been working on has been one that at least involves the additional imput of Jimmy, and Jimmy has stated. So I think the "real" project is still to come.

2. If you already own the albums, then why complain about them being up for sale online? What's the difference between them being for sale online and them being for sale in a store? No one would complain if Billy announced that he approved a go-ahead for 100k more pressings of MCIS to be delivered to Best Buy, would they? And actually, the albums will probably be cheaper online than they would in the store.

3. As has been stated before, the more support that's generated now for the Pumpkins, the more likeley it will be for Billy to have commercial backing from production companies to put out things like the Metro DVD, another boxset, etc. You don't think Billy has printing capabilities to cover the entire Pumpkins community hiding in his basement, do you? He'll need support. Why do you think Machina 2 was really put online? Yes, Billy wanted it to be free. But even Billy didn't have the capability to send out free CD's of the album, because no one would support his idea. Before Billy can set his shit into motion, he needs support.

4. Really, the only reason people are getting upset is because it's been a long time since the last official Pumpkins release, and now that something starting to stir, people are getting anxiously impatient. I think people forget that it hasn't exactly been 5 years of Billy sitting on his ass doing nothing. No, that's what all of us have been doing. In the last five years, Billy started a new band, put out a record with that new band, toured the world with that new band, quit that band, wrote a book of poetry, published that book of poetry, began a solo career, recorded and finished a solo album, and is now working to get this whole Pumpkins digital online catalogue thing up, get the Metro DVD out by Christmas, and possibly another secret Pumpkins project that's being discussed with Jimmy. Shit, give the guy a break. He's not God.

Dead
03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Reyngel
If you already own the albums, then why complain about them being up for sale online?
The complaining is not about the albums, it's about the possibility that the only release of this new unreleased/rare material may be through a shitty iTunes AAC file. That's not my America!!!

mistle
03-23-2005, 08:10 PM
.. actually.. i can't believe i worry about this, with so many ifs and buts. i just hope billy will soon communicate a little

so i'll know what to bitch about

Sapphire
03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Dead

The complaining is not about the albums, it's about the possibility that the only release of this new unreleased/rare material may be through a shitty iTunes AAC file. That's not my America!!!

You live in Canada though, don't you?

Corganist
03-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Dead

The complaining is not about the albums, it's about the possibility that the only release of this new unreleased/rare material may be through a shitty iTunes AAC file. That's not my America!!!
I'd pay 99 cents for a high-generation, analog-sourced, realaudio file of a new Pumpkins song if thats what it takes to hear it. Would it be nice to have it lossless? Absolutely. I'm as much a stickler for sound quality as the next anal-retentive SP fan, but I get more joy out of hearing a new song in a lossy format than I do not hearing the song at all.

Besides, you said it yourself. Its just a possibility that all this rumored new material will only be availiable on iTunes. Nevertheless, I do suspect that there'll be a couple surprises *******d in the rarities that go up. I would hope that we all would be excited enough about the availiability of new songs that we would buy them in whatever format, if only to show that there's an interest in the material. If new stuff goes up, and no one buys it because its not in .wav format, then what do you think will happen as far as new releases go? If no one buys copies of 'I Fall' off iTunes, do you think some record company is gonna print up a box set full of similarly rare material?

I don't know. I guess I'm just jazzed that there's anything going on with SP at all. Its just just strange to me that people are somehow seeing this as a bad thing. Even if there is no box set planned, and the plan all along was to release stuff through itunes, I still would be more excited about that than I would be about vague rumors of something that maybe will come out one day.

Dead
03-23-2005, 10:08 PM
You have some points. This one got to me:

Originally posted by Corganist

I'd pay 99 cents for a high-generation, analog-sourced, realaudio file of a new Pumpkins song if thats what it takes to hear it.

I'm still pissed about it though. Especially if we bought these things and then they were released on real CDs.

Punkishlyevil
03-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Especially if we bought these things and then they were released on real CDs.

Thats what I'm worried about.

Deleted_User
03-23-2005, 10:22 PM
dead, you're such a spoiled nerd in the most unendearing way possible.

for every inch you've been given, you've complained that you don't get another mile. i can't believe you people would interpret this as a 'fuck you'. how incredibly selfish of you. i love the pumpkins, but for chrissake. it's just music. get on with your lives.

Dead
03-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Ronald Goldman
dead, you're such a spoiled nerd in the most unendearing way possible.

for every inch you've been given, you've complained that you don't get another mile. i can't believe you people would interpret this as a 'fuck you'. how incredibly selfish of you. i love the pumpkins, but for chrissake. it's just music. get on with your lives.
I never said anything about it being a fuck you, get your eyes checked, jackass. Also, fuck you.

redbreegull
03-23-2005, 10:35 PM
I agree with both Corganist and Sapphire...

I guess my main problem with this is that I am unwilling to buy songs offline. I don't like the whole concept. Machina II was fine...it was free. I'm under 18, I can't go buying shit offline without my parents, and althought they would do it for me, it's still a pain in the ass.

Also, even though I love the Pumpkins beyond all things on Earth, I have never gone in search of their rarities. I have the standard releases (including the b-side ones). I don't have any of the singles. So a box set would be incredible to me.

Dead
03-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull

even though I love the Pumpkins beyond all things on Earth, I have never gone in search of their rarities.
Man, get your priorities straight.

ZWANPHONY
03-24-2005, 12:35 AM
how come no one is agreeing with me? :erm

to paraphrase what i haven't said:
i think we don't know jack, yet.

Quiet CD
03-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Dead
I would gladly pay for all of that if it was a real life release. I'm not paying regular CD prices (which is what iTunes often charges, if not more) for some crap 128Kbit digital rights managed AAC files.

The exact reason why I will not buy anything on iTMS. Unless Apple suddenly offers music encoded in Apple Lossless through the store :erm which they would all of the sudden do for Pumpkins material, I would hope, but highly doubt.

I will say it again, I will not buy 128kbps aac files, they sound like shit... I will not buy anything, including this off of the iTMS

Dead
03-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Technically Apple Lossless isn't really lossless anyway, it cuts out like a milisecond or something, the files don't match if you encode, then decode. Not really sure if it's been determined what that does, but it does sound pretty good. I would probably buy Apple Lossless.. for the same price. If it was my only option. Then decode it and burn them.

Woody
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
As much as a non-event this may or may not turn out to be you have to a pretty big moron to not want new material just because it's being released on itunes.

Dead
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I disagree. What if we spend $1 per song on these 114 songs and then they get released later this year in some kind of box?

Axis of Action
03-24-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Dead
I disagree. What if we spend $1 per song on these 114 songs and then they get released later this year in some kind of box?

you do realize that they're most likely going to be Pisces/Aeroplane/Judas right?

Dead
03-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Axis of Action


you do realize that they're most likely going to be Pisces/Aeroplane/Judas right?
It said some will be all new.

NilSineDeo
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Dead
I disagree. What if we spend $1 per song on these 114 songs and then they get released later this year in some kind of box?

this I agree with. I will be uberpissed if I spend $114 on iTunes, only to spend $50 in a few months on a bunch of CDs. Hopefully Corgan will update his site soon to let us know if this is the case.

NilSineDeo
03-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Axis of Action


you do realize that they're most likely going to be Pisces/Aeroplane/Judas right?

I don't think PI is *******d there. I think it's grouped with the 112 songs from the seven albums(Gish,SD,PI,MCIS,Adore,M:TMOG,M2:FAEOMM.... i hope)

zerock
03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
yeah he needs a news section, besides hiis blog. also so he can confirm that his album will be indeed be called DIS ARM YO!
:banoonoo:

union jack
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
gish - 10
siamese dream - 13
pisces iscariot - 14
mellon collie - 28
adore - 15
machina - 15
machina 2 - 14

= 109 tracks

and if we add '17' from adore and 'Infinite Sadness' & 'Tonite Reprise' from the MC&tIS LP then we have 112 tracks

i don't know where i'm going with this
so arrrggg...

Reyngel
03-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by union jack
gish - 10
siamese dream - 13
pisces iscariot - 14
mellon collie - 28
adore - 15
machina - 15
machina 2 - 14

= 109 tracks

and if we add '17' from adore and 'Infinite Sadness' & 'Tonite Reprise' from the MC&tIS LP then we have 112 tracks

i don't know where i'm going with this
so arrrggg...

You'd also have to add Once in a While, Speed Kills, and anything else that was extra on some album releases. And if you're going to go that route, you'd need to ******* any mainstream songs that were on singles, like Summer.

Also, I think if you're going to count Machina 2, then you need to count the entire Machina 2 collection, which *******s Here's to the Atom Bomb, Saturnine, Glass's Theme, etc.

And why didn't you ******* TAFH? According to Virgin, it's an official release. It's definitely more credible than Machina 2.

The point is, that's way more than 114. So we'll see what's up.

NilSineDeo
03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
edit: nevermind... I was going off of someone else's numbers from a different board and he messed them all up

union jack
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
i was sorta tryin to make the same point myself, but i'm a bit tired today

List On Fork
03-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by mistle
yeah boo fucking hoo, but i must admit i don't care about the big picture. he could do it anytime he wants to.

What record label would be interested in putting out a box set from a band that already broke up so won't be promoting it and whose last 2 albums failed commercially? Really, what record label is willing to put the money into making a box set and shipping it to stores around the world when its target market is the measly thousand hardcore fans? Either it becomes a major commercial release aimed at average Joe Music Fan (and the SP fans bitch and moan) or it can be an independent online release (and the SP fans... still bitch and moan?)

List On Fork
03-24-2005, 02:19 PM
113 album tracks, plus 114 rarities and b-sides

113 album tracks
---------------
Gish - 10
Siamese Dream - 13
Pisces Iscariot - 14
Mellon Collie - 28
Adore - 16
Machina - 15
Machina 2 - 14
Eye - 1
Drown - 1
Untitled - 1
---------------
Total - 113

Fattening Ass
03-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Dead
And I don't want some crap 128kbit apple file with digital rights management.
For being such an iPod slut, you are dumb.

Google Jhymn.

Dead
03-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
For being such an iPod slut, you are dumb.

Google Jhymn.
So you're saying iPod sluts are normally smart?

Dead
03-25-2005, 02:28 AM
Yeah I see what you're getting at, with the DRM. I know about that but it still pisses me off.

mistle
03-25-2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by List On Fork


What record label would be interested in putting out a box set from a band that already broke up so won't be promoting it and whose last 2 albums failed commercially? Really, what record label is willing to put the money into making a box set and shipping it to stores around the world when its target market is the measly thousand hardcore fans? Either it becomes a major commercial release aimed at average Joe Music Fan (and the SP fans bitch and moan) or it can be an independent online release (and the SP fans... still bitch and moan?)

oh come on. the smashing pumpkins still have a rather large fanbase and there are many old fans that would have interest in something like that. for a while they were the biggest rockband in the world! much smaller bands release albums and dvds. of course billy could do a boxset. sure, it won't be a huge commercial succes, but as long as they keep that in mind, it won't be a failure either

Sapphire
03-25-2005, 03:04 AM
All the shitty bands get these releases on the infomertial stations. Get the 60's in one big collectors disk! Get all the jazz! The blues! The rock! All these different bands that used to blow ass get a 5 CD set with shit that people didn't want to listen to 30 years ago, never mind now. When will it be the Pumpkins turn?

Regardless, whenever it is, that day will be the offical day that I'm old.

Fattening Ass
03-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Dead
Yeah I see what you're getting at, with the DRM. I know about that but it still pisses me off. yeah sure.

Dead
03-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
yeah sure.
http://www.floggle.com/clement/images/funny/baby_middle_finger.jpeg

seign
03-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Reyngel
1. Obviously this whole "digital online catalogue" thing isn't the main project that Billy's been cooking up. The project Billy's been working on has been one that at least involves the additional imput of Jimmy, and Jimmy has stated. So I think the "real" project is still to come.

2. If you already own the albums, then why complain about them being up for sale online? What's the difference between them being for...

etc., etc.


Best post in this thread.

Originally posted by List On Fork


What record label would be interested in putting out a box set from a band that already broke up so won't be promoting it and whose last 2 albums failed commercially? Really, what record label is willing to put the money into making a box set and shipping it to stores around the world when its target market is the measly thousand hardcore fans? Either it becomes a major commercial release aimed at average Joe Music Fan (and the SP fans bitch and moan) or it can be an independent online release (and the SP fans... still bitch and moan?)

I'm pretty sure that Adore sold over 3 million copies which is far from a failure. It doesn't compare to Mellon Collie but what does? Also, I think Machina sold around 500,000 copies which is gold, which is also good yet disappointing compared to previous releases. I'm probably off a bit on some of these numbers. I just remember hearing them a while back.

And Dead, you sound like such a whinny baby dude. 2EXTRAVA2****** was right on with his post. "for every inch you've been given, you've complained that you don't get another mile".

Dead
03-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by seign

And Dead, you sound like such a whinny baby dude. 2EXTRAVA2****** was right on with his post. "for every inch you've been given, you've complained that you don't get another mile".
Yeah and like I said, I will keep complaining so get used to it.

Dead
03-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Considering the 114 rarities tracklist, Machina II will probably be part of the 113 album tracks.. and probably not from vinyl. Hope it sounds good in 128kbit AAC.

Fattening Ass
03-26-2005, 11:31 AM
^ total whiny bitch~

RockLobster
03-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
^ total whiny bitch~
i think you're in love with him dude.

Dead
03-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Well he's kinda obsessed at least.

theres
03-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Dead

As much as this iTunes thing pisses me off, I'd bet that most of the SP fan base would be overjoyed with mp3s or whatever lossy file types are going to be available. Not a lot of em care about lossless music or even understand the concept. This is my suspicion/theory/guess.

zing!!
commercialism and the masses

and btw i like that you don't put an apostrophe on <i>mp3s</i> when using it in plural form...just a pet peeve of mine.:erm

and...
Originally posted by ZWANPHONY
how come no one is agreeing with me? :erm

to paraphrase what i haven't said:
i think we don't know jack, yet.

i agree with you :)


Originally posted by Spaldz
I reckon his new album should be called "The Future's Embrace". Sounds better.

it does.

RopeyLopey
03-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by List On Fork


113 album tracks
---------------
Gish - 10
Siamese Dream - 13
Pisces Iscariot - 14
Mellon Collie - 28
Adore - 16
Machina - 15
Machina 2 - 14
Eye - 1
Drown - 1
Untitled - 1
---------------
Total - 113

that's almost like basketball

Dead
03-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by theres

and btw i like that you don't put an apostrophe on <i>mp3s</i> when using it in plural form
This is because we were made for each other. When do you want to have the wedding?

Dead
03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't think The Future's Embrace sounds better than The Future Embrace. Aw damn do we have to call off the wedding?

theres
03-27-2005, 10:51 AM
uh, what do YOU think?

Dead
03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
I think we can make it work, you can't fight fate. :love:

bl0ck
04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Didn't billy give us a free online album called machina II?

:( why doesn't he give us this for free too?

and I agree that it should be available in the shops .. I would much rather give my money to the whores that work in shops than someone I can't make a face at.


and if your reading Billy .. you whats been on everyone's mind for the past 5 years .. get the dvd out my son .. you have used up all your cards in your deck .. you only got one left to play.

ZWANPHONY
04-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by bl0ck
[...]you have used up all your cards in your deck .. you only got one left to play.

obviously it isn't Grammar.

Ugly
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
http://chat.alamak.com/i/wife.gif

The New
04-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by bl0ck
:( why doesn't he give us this for free too?

and I agree that it should be available in the shops ..


:unhappy:

Dead
04-02-2005, 11:37 AM
Has anything actually named an online store? I think it's just said digital domain, maybe there's a site that offers higher bitrate files than iTunes.

bl0ck
04-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Hey ZWANPHONY its cool man .. go to

http://musicstore.real.com/music_store/album?artistid=10051&albumid=1160745&filter=y&sort=rd&from=disc

and you can download the B-sides for only $94.99 OR BUY ALL THE TRACKS FOR $0.99 A GO! :d:D:D:d

you don't need to thank me .. I can feel the love from here.

MisterSquishyHalo
04-09-2005, 09:48 AM
People are upset because all of the elite stuff that people had been hoarding is now released to the public.

heh.

Dead
04-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo
People are upset because all of the elite stuff that people had been hoarding is now released to the public.

heh.
Hope you're joking.

Cool As Ice Cream
04-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo
People are upset because all of the elite stuff that people had been hoarding is now released to the public.

heh. :rofl:

That'll teach 'em!