View Full Version : Jesse Miller On the Radio Right Now

Mason R Butler
12-14-2002, 07:15 PM
My no-good roommate is doing an airshift on college radio right now. He just played an overlong Beach Boys song and now he's playing "Sun." Send him your requests at [email protected]

http://corn.kvsc.org:8000/broadband

http://corn.kvsc.org:8000/modem

Best Looking Boy
12-14-2002, 07:24 PM
I'd like to request that he play the spree 4 times in a row so everyone can burn out on them. I promise, it'll take four times.

Mason R Butler
12-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Jesus Christ, it's just like at home, but for the whole world to hear. I need my own radio show.

THRILLHO
12-14-2002, 10:52 PM
i'm going to request the andrew pakula stan parody mp3.

sawdust restaurants
12-14-2002, 11:00 PM
"Like a Prayer," stat.

Jesse Miller
12-15-2002, 01:17 AM
I got that request for Korn, BTW... ;)

Here's what was played, if anyone actually cares (probly not)...

4:00
The Beach Boys - Heroes and Villains parts 1 & 2 (SMiLE versions)
Smashing Pumpkins - Sun (Light Into Dark version)
Of Montreal - Jennifer Louise
They Might Be Giants - All Alone
Kula Shaker - Waiting For Tomorrow
George Harrison - Wah-Wah
Paul McCartney - Every Night
John Lennon - I Found Out
The Backbeat Band - Slow Down
The Monkees - Zilch / Randy Scouse Git
Beastie Boys - Sounds of Science
The Rutles - Ouch!
The Toadies - Tyler

5:00
Ben Folds Five - Narcolepsy
Iron Butterfly - Iron Butterfly Theme
Nirvana - Clean Up Before She Comes (demo)
Weezer - Mad Kow (piano demo version)
Blues Brothers - I Can't Turn You Loose / She Caught The Katy
Cassette Boy - Fly Me To New York
The Flaming Lips - Funeral In My Head
Mercury Rev - Racing The Tide / Close Encounters of the Third Grade
The Firesign Theatre - Beat The Reaper!
Drums & Tuba - Royronus
The Pixies - Gigantic

6:00
Lifter Puller - Secret Santa Cruz
The Frogs - Children Run Away (From The Man with the Candy)
Les Claypool & The Flying Frog Brigade - Hendershot (live)
Radiohead - Big Ideas (live)
The Sunshine Fix - Age Of The Sun
Beck - Sunday Sun
The Polyphonic Spree - Fields Glide Without Motion (live at the BBC)
The Paper Chase - Relieving Ophelia
Acid Mother Temples and The Flying Paraiso UFO - La Novia (live)

Mayfuck
12-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Okay, now it's Mason's turn, right?

Boner
12-15-2002, 04:39 AM
you St Cloud kids don't happen to know Rodriguez Barnett do you?

Jesse Miller
12-15-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm actually the only one who went to SCSU... But I'm graduating next week. I live in Minneapolis now, and I never really considered myself a resident of St. Cloud to begin with (which is a long story).

But no, I don't know him...

lawson
12-15-2002, 11:41 PM
damn- i would've loved that set. and i thought i was the only one who liked bff's Narcolepsy- at the show 2-3 yrs ago when he started playing it i was the only one who yelled and jumped up and down. i didnt care- that song rules

sawdust restaurants
12-16-2002, 12:03 AM
It would be nice to have an indie-rock sort of show, I guess, but I'm pretty sure I'd get bored as shit after about 15 minutes.

lawson
12-16-2002, 12:11 AM
if it was all indie rock you would but that looks like a good mix. though not a mix enough for our cooler than you wxyc

sawdust restaurants
12-16-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
chill out dude, you already won "most pretentious netphorian". no need to run up the score.

I'm not trying to mock anybody. I'd have liked to listen to that show myself. Not only is Jesse Miller is pretty cool--I've found out a bunch of FLips shit from him that I didn't know before he posted it--but I mean, indie rock makes up a great deal of what I listen to. I'm just making an off comment that on the one hand, it would actually be nice to have an indie rock show since I listen to so much of it--it would make things a lot easier on me. But by the same token, ever since I started at XYC, I like to listen to a lot of different music, and play it as well. (Mostly playing it; a lot of non-rock stuff is a bitch to find and expensive as shit when you do find it.) I'm not trying to diss anybody who doesn't, though. Jesse's looks like a good show, and I'm sure he does a good job. I'll probably listen if he's on the air sometime soon.

sawdust restaurants
12-16-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
i was kidding :-/

Sorry for jumping all over you, then. Still, though, I know I come off that way sometimes, and I don't mean to--I'm just in flippant mode 24/7 on Netphoria and it's hard to come off seriously sometimes. I promise, I'm really down-to-earth about music, especially compared to most of the DJs my station has. :-/

Jesse Miller
12-16-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by PhantomFM
damn- i would've loved that set.

Why, thank you! :D I guess I should have posted "Hey, listen to my show" before I did it. I guess Best Looking Boy was listening for a little while at least...

I know I'll be doing an airshift sometime in early February during our station's Trivia Marathon, don't know when, though. I'm probably not going to do much, since I'm gone from school, and should be focusing on getting a real job in radio production rather than announcing for colege radio. ;)

Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
I'd have liked to listen to that show myself. Not only is Jesse Miller is pretty cool--I've found out a bunch of FLips shit from him that I didn't know before he posted it--but I mean, indie rock makes up a great deal of what I listen to. I'm just making an off comment that on the one hand, it would actually be nice to have an indie rock show since I listen to so much of it--it would make things a lot easier on me. But by the same token, ever since I started at XYC, I like to listen to a lot of different music, and play it as well. (Mostly playing it; a lot of non-rock stuff is a bitch to find and expensive as shit when you do find it.) I'm not trying to diss anybody who doesn't, though. Jesse's looks like a good show, and I'm sure he does a good job. I'll probably listen if he's on the air sometime soon.

Hey thanks! That's really nice of you too...

It's funny about the "indie rock" thing; Mason emailed a bunch of requests like Lift To Experience and other, I guess you could say, *typical* indie rock fare, and it just wouldn't have fit into that show... I feel bad saying that "typical" thing, but you know what I mean. My old airshifts were a lot like the above, but lots of new "indie" or "underground" or "local" stuff inbetween--lots of new music. But not this show, this was exclusively stuff I choose...

And that's kind of how that started anyways. This program was a show called Radio Roulette, in which each week there was a different host and different theme. After I retired my 4-year air shift duties and was just finishing up as KVSC Production Director, the station manager and program directors wanted me to do the show, but the theme should be what they called "Jesse Music"... I guess they thought my shows were extremely ideosynchratic. I guess I can see it, but I don't know. Mason said it sounded like my record collection at home. :p My favorite compliment though was from a listener who said her plants liked my show, and that they grew more during my airshift. Odd...

Mason R Butler
12-16-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Okay, now it's Mason's turn, right?
Nah. I'd be too obnoxious. I'd get cut off much earlier than Jesse did for playing AMT.

sawdust restaurants
12-16-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Jesse Miller
My favorite compliment though was from a listener who said her plants liked my show, and that they grew more during my airshift. Odd...

Hahahaha. Yeah, we have some people who say pretty odd things calling in for us as well. There's this one lady who calls in at all hours of the day and night requesting stuff like songs with birds in them (thank God for that Quasi album), songs that begin with lightning, etc. Originally we thought she was making a mixtape or something but she's been doing it for a while, so now we realize she's probably a bit eccentric--although she's kind of bitchy when we don't/can't give them what they, as are most callers. We attract a strange bunch. :-/