View Full Version : How much Pumpkins material do you think is still unknown?

redbreegull
03-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Billy talked about releasing more compilations in the future of b-sides, outakes, etc, and although it would be nice to have a standard set of these, so much stuff has already been bootlegged. How much unknown material do you think is left?

Cherub Angel
03-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Billy talked about releasing more compilations in the future of b-sides, outakes, etc, and although it would be nice to have a standard set of these, so much stuff has already been bootlegged. How much unknown material do you think is left?

who knows. The band recorded a lot....and even if we do have a lot of the demos and stuff, I'm sure we don't have all. Not to mention, all the live stuff they recorded on audio and on video tape in the later years. I heard in one interview that SP had roughtly 400 shows on tape. I'm more curious about how exactly he's going to release those. That's a lot of footage.

ZWANPHONY
03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
i'm guessing 5 discs worth.

redbreegull
03-16-2005, 09:08 PM
I am doubting that.

I'm sure there's some stuff that we don't know about, but I figure we must have a large majority of the stuff they recorded.

ZWANPHONY
03-16-2005, 09:19 PM
maybe i'm just speaking for myself, but i only have this little side project thing called tapeworm demos...

Corganist
03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
As far as totally new never before heard complete studio songs go, I'd bet there's probably a just a handful out there, but I think its probably more than a lot of people are thinking. But I also don't think theres any way anybody can guess the number of less polished songs that may have been recorded over the years. Its almost impossible to guess how many home demos or rehearsal tapes Billy has laying around. And then you have to count things like early/alternate versions of songs we have. And then there's sbd recordings of rarely played songs.

I think if Billy were so inclined, he could put together at least a couple of comps that *******d things that are new to us. (But there would come a point where some of it would start to drop in quality.)

Sapphire
03-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Some of the songs on Pistichio Medley...

Other than that though, the way the Pumpkins could make some songs sound totally different in concert (like a good 20 variations of a single song) then it's still a blessing for those of us who don't have the concert date, or recorded session, etc.

Do you think they did just one take of all the songs that were put on the albums? We all know that isn't Billy's style. Just look at the Spaceboy's on SD and MP (I love 'em both) and to me the whole feel of the song is way different. The SD one sounds like... well, the SD one. While the MP version sounds like Bulletproof by Radiohead.

Unlike most people here, I haven't collected all the shows and whatnot. Not that I don't want to, I just don't have the harddrive space for it. When I get my new computer (don't hold your breath) I'll totally do that. But, I'm guessing that 99.9% of the Pumpkins fans out there are like me and have only heard mostly the Pumpkins album stuff.

Face it though, there is only so much the band could've done. With the touring and whatnot, there doesn't probably exist that much quality stuff (as Corganist said) that is just lying around and has never been heard. But we can always hope against hope. We are, after all, just basing all of this off of a rumor. ;) :p

Dead
03-16-2005, 11:59 PM
An unknown quantity.

Dead
03-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

I heard in one interview that SP had roughtly 400 shows on tape.
I remember this quote, Billy said 400 songs.

tcm
03-17-2005, 12:21 AM
yeah, it's probably more like 600 shows.

SomaPhreak
03-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Corganist
As far as totally new never before heard complete studio songs go, I'd bet there's probably a just a handful out there, but I think its probably more than a lot of people are thinking. But I also don't think theres any way anybody can guess the number of less polished songs that may have been recorded over the years. Its almost impossible to guess how many home demos or rehearsal tapes Billy has laying around.

I'd agree with that. We have a huge number of unreleased songs already. In terms of fully developed unknown original songs with lyrics (not including alternate versions of songs), there are probably 10-20 that are still in the vaults.

I find it hard to believe that there is much left from the pre-Gish or Machina eras at this point. There are probably 3-5 "new" studio songs from the Gish, SD, and MCIS eras each that are still lying around (Tulips, Promise, ect.). The Adore era is probably the mother lode of unknown material. I seem to recall that early in the sessions a lot of songs were discarded.

ZWANPHONY
03-17-2005, 01:20 AM
i think there's a bunch of adore mat'l that didn't make the cut for the album since it was released a whole two years after mcis...and i'm sure there's some machina demos that billy recorded but didn't think fit the mystery. the only demos that i can think of fromt he siamese dream era that we might know of are on pisces...i'd love to hear more of that creamy guitar from the sd era!

DieDiemydarling
03-17-2005, 02:43 AM
I have no idea. But I hope it's alot. :)

KAT
03-17-2005, 11:35 AM
mucho

RockLobster
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
he could have alot, but it doesn't mean it's any good.

QuietGaze
03-19-2005, 04:03 AM
I want Smashing Pumpkins to get back together as much as anyone here. And I'd also love to see another b-sides compilation or another concert DVD, tape, etc.

Deleted_User
03-19-2005, 10:38 AM
so it's been over four years since the band broke up. everytime i think that there may be around five discs of material that nobody's heard yet, and how much time has passed since they broke up. they are beginning to take on this legendary status in my mind.

lucid_interval
03-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dead

i definately remember reading something about this, and he definately said he had literally hundreds of taped shows, so i guess you can assume there are plenty out there that havent been bootlegged, id quite like to hear a few more of the earlier shows, or see some videos o the pre gish shows, i think that would be quite amusing/fascinating

lucid_interval
03-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Dead

i definately remember reading something about this, and he definately said he had literally hundreds of taped shows, so i guess you can assume there are plenty out there that havent been bootlegged, id quite like to hear a few more of the earlier shows, or see some videos of the pre gish shows, i think that would be quite amusing/fascinating