View Full Version : i'm closing in on a nervous breakdown

severin
03-16-2005, 08:19 AM
i've been under constant extreme pressure at work for about a year now, and i don't think i can take it any longer. i look at problems emerging in my tasks and i have no longer any idea on how to handle them. i'm suffering from stress induced migraines at least once every 2 weeks, my capability to concentrate went down the drain and all i really want to do is be somewhere quiet without having to think about anything related to work. and i only came back from a weeks holiday on saturday...

i'm not really looking for advice here, i guess i just needed to vent this out right now a little bit.

smashingjj
03-16-2005, 08:23 AM
you should talk about this with your boss, this can't be good. have you done that already? i'm sure there is a way to work a bit less or so.

Nimrod's Son
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
No job is worth that. Trust me.

I'd start looking hard elsewhere

severin
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
you should talk about this with your boss, this can't be good. have you done that already? i'm sure there is a way to work a bit less or so. i'm having my yearly review on tuesday and i'll definitly talk about this then, but in fact i will mention it earlier. the really, really big problem is, that i'm working on a part of a project which is absolutely crucial to the overall success of the project...and if i fail to pull this through the whole thing gets delayed which would cause quite a bit of trouble and we're talking a double digit million eur project here.

so, the fact is, there is pretty much no alternative for me than to get this done on time or everyone will have a big problem...

severin
03-16-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son

I'd start looking hard elsewhere in fact i pretty much made this decision today...

smashingjj
03-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by severin
i'm having my yearly review on tuesday and i'll definitly talk about this then, but in fact i will mention it earlier. the really, really big problem is, that i'm working on a part of a project which is absolutely crucial to the overall success of the project...and if i fail to pull this through the whole thing gets delayed which would cause quite a bit of trouble and we're talking a double digit million eur project here.

so, the fact is, there is pretty much no alternative for me than to get this done on time or everyone will have a big problem...

for how long do you still have to work on this project? if it's another year or so, just resign. Too much to handle. If it's a few weeks, try to keep on going and make sure you work as little as possible.

Mo
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
i didn't know you have that much stress. oh that's shitty.

can't you change to another section of the company? i mean, how long did you work there? 2 years?

Nimrod's Son
03-16-2005, 08:44 AM
in fact i pretty much made this decision today... I could spout you numerous examples but they aren't important

What I will say is that any job that treats you with such disrespect as a person obviously doesn't respect you, and will eventually toss you aside as they do everything else. It's simply the nature of the business. I would rather a job that pays a little less but is more satisfying than the other way around.

You work to pay for your personal life. Not the opposite

severin
03-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
for how long do you still have to work on this project? if it's another year or so, just resign. Too much to handle. If it's a few weeks, try to keep on going and make sure you work as little as possible. the current deadline is mid of may, but it is pretty clear that this won't happen for various reasons, but one of the main reasons will be that i won't be able to finish my part in time for the test-phase. and management either doesn't want to see that the deadline isn't going to happen or they still think they can push us further, which just isn't possible.
and i'm not the only one in the team that's far beyond his limit. my co-worker feels pretty much the same, but is still capable of doing pretty good work. and everyone else involved is pretty much burnt out too. the whole thing just takes way to long without any real drop in pressure

well. thanks everyone for listening, i will now try to get some stuff done.

ChristHimself!
03-16-2005, 09:11 AM
As long as you can make it to tuesday you'll be cool.

I know it sounds like I'm talking shit but I've been through similar times.

I was at uni/college 9am to 5pm, then working 5:30pm to 9pm, getting home for about 10-10:30, eating then going to bed for about two years, all the while trying to keep up my social life, the band I was in, and my relationship with my boyfriend on weekends, as he lived 200+ miles away.

If you talk it through with them they should be cool, but if they are really unsympathetic about the whole thing you should maybe think about looking somewhere else..

severin
03-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds
As long as you can make it to tuesday you'll be cool.

I know it sounds like I'm talking shit but I've been through similar times.

I was at uni/college 9am to 5pm, then working 5:30pm to 9pm, getting home for about 10-10:30, eating then going to bed for about two years, all the while trying to keep up my social life, the band I was in, and my relationship with my boyfriend on weekends, as he lived 200+ miles away.

If you talk it through with them they should be cool, but if they are really unsympathetic about the whole thing you should maybe think about looking somewhere else.. i've done more than 150 overtime hours since january. my normal worktime would be 38.5 / week meaning that i worked more than a month overtime...ah well. i'll see on tuesday. the thing is though that i'll have to work 3 more months after i give them my resignation. and i don't want to officially leave the job until i have found something new, because the market right now is not to kind for IT-Personell. ah well...i'll manage somehow

obscured01
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son

I'd start looking hard elsewhere

<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, I totally agree. I hope it all works out okay severin.</font>

Slacker
03-16-2005, 10:13 AM
you should tell your boss exactly how you feel

the truth will set you free

LOL

Slacker
03-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by obscured01

<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, I totally agree. I hope it all works out okay severin.</font>

you agree in theroy, just not in practice!

obscured01
03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Slacker

you agree in theroy, just not in practice!

<font color="dab9ea">No, I don't think a job is worth that. Which is why I'm headed to an interview for a new job myself this afternoon.</font>

Slacker
03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by obscured01

<font color="dab9ea">No, I don't think a job is worth that. Which is why I'm headed to an interview for a new job myself this afternoon.</font>

good for you, its nice to change jobs

RopeyLopey
03-16-2005, 10:59 AM
so when can we expect you in London, On. ? Or was that somehow connected with your current employer?

severin
03-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey
so when can we expect you in London, On. ? Or was that somehow connected with your current employer? heh, that was connected with an ex-colleague who changed his job and is now responsible for the IT for a company which has a factory in london, on. i might give him a call though, but actually i don't think i want to leave vienna right now. i've settled in very well and love the city. but i don't want to rule it out completely either...

RopeyLopey
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
heh, that was connected with an ex-colleague who changed his job and is now responsible for the IT for a company which has a factory in london, on. i might give him a call though, but actually i don't think i want to leave vienna right now. i've settled in very well and love the city. but i don't want to rule it out completely either... well, no matter how it will turn out, I just want to let you know it looks like the worst of the winter (from our point of view) is (hopefully) finally over.

But your winter rocked this year as well ( amount of snow), right?

severin
03-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey
well, no matter how it will turn out, I just want to let you know it looks like the worst of the winter (from our point of view) is (hopefully) finally over.

But your winter rocked this year as well ( amount of snow), right? our winter was pretty awesome. we had more than enough snow in the mountains, which made for a great week of snowboarding last week and even in vienna we had quite some snow. i love it when the city is covered with it. but right now i'm very happy that it is over. today temperatures reachd the 60's (°F) (16°C) and i was able to stand outside the office building for a smoke in my t-shirt. that's really awesome...

alexthestampede
03-16-2005, 12:14 PM
suck it up