View Full Version : How much do you know about the Smashing Pumpkins?

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 05:02 AM
take this ultra-cool wicked-bad trivia quiz.
http://www.funtrivia.com/quizlistgold.cfm?cat=1672

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 05:02 AM
100% in all categories. booyah.

beat that now, CoolAsIceCream

tcm
02-25-2005, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by Voice Implodes
100% in all categories. booyah.
that's too bad. despite what the designer of quiz 7 (Pumpkin Lyircs [sic] And Song Titles) says, the correct answer to question 12 therein is "not enough information". so, you see, the ideal score on that quiz is 14/15. which is what i got.

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by tcm

that's too bad. despite what the designer of quiz 7 (Pumpkin Lyircs [sic] And Song Titles) says, the correct answer to question 12 therein is "not enough information". so, you see, the ideal score on that quiz is 14/15. which is what i got.

come on man, that was an easy one. yeah he has a few borthers, but he often mentioned spaceboy being about his brother jesse. and the hint was JAMES.

DeadOpera
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM

come on man, that was an easy one. yeah he has a few borthers, but he often mentioned spaceboy being about his brother jesse. and the hint was JAMES.

if the hint was spaceboy then it would be easy

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by DeadOpera

if the hint was spaceboy then it would be easy

jesse james. ever heard of him? jese is also the only brother i remember bilyl talking about (FREQUENTLY) in interviews.

i guess i am just better than you guys.

tcm
02-25-2005, 03:58 PM
if by "easy" you mean it was easy to tell which one the idiot who designed it had in mind, then sure. that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

Rockin' Cherub
02-25-2005, 04:03 PM
this is easy. and i don't even know pumpkins lyrics that well.

DeadOpera
02-25-2005, 04:15 PM
i wanna know why half of the questions are about covers?
towers of rabble, dancing in the moonlight sad peter pan

oh well i expected this to be lame.

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by DeadOpera
i wanna know why half of the questions are about covers?
towers of rabble, dancing in the moonlight sad peter pan

towers of rabble?

Rockin' Cherub
02-25-2005, 04:35 PM

towers of rabble?

HeyWhatsUp
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
In what year did a shake-down occur?

lol

my mind secedes
02-26-2005, 02:00 AM
haha, for that ...james question about billy's brother, i was certain he had a brother named rick. and i realized rick james, yeah, it's gotta be right. i saw jesse james and died laughing. haha. i'm an idiot. he does have a brother rick, though, right?

silverfrick
02-26-2005, 02:09 AM
The only one I missed was the Billy's brother one because I spelled it Jessie. Oh yeah, and the question about what Billy is 'despite all his rage' which I answered rat. I had to finish the lyric. LAME.

Dead
02-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Holy shit I missed 5. But most of em were really weird lyrics from stuff like Sad Peter Pan or ones I left blank. I am ashamed. :(

Cool As Ice Cream
02-26-2005, 06:27 AM
Towers of Rabble is a cover???

tcm
02-26-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream
Towers of Rabble is a cover???
christ. no.

dustdream
02-26-2005, 07:46 AM
i know nothing :(

all i have is their affect on me..

Cool As Ice Cream
02-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by tcm

christ. no. that's what i was thinking.

Voice Implodes
02-26-2005, 11:24 AM
billy specigically says before playing TOR once "this is a song i wrote a couple of weeks ago."

tcm
02-26-2005, 11:26 AM
billy specigically says before playing TOR once "this is a song i wrote a couple of weeks ago."
how fortunate, else this little mystery might never have been resolved.

Mariner
02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
howsabout something slightly more challenging, off the top of my head:

1. what song features a pair of snipping scissors for percussion?

2. name the enigmatic, oft rumored about, meteorological song title from the later part of the band's career

3. on what date did the full band play its first show. where did this occur?

4. what song almost made it into the movie cruel intentions?

5. what unique clothes were the band apt to wear during early mcis tour shows? what kind of music did the costumes go along with?

6. name the adore cover model

7. what cover of a song by one of corgan's favorite bands (featuring a lot of what sounds like grouchy yelling in the background beforehand) did the pumpkins record but never officially release?

8. of what song does a much sought-after full-band vocal version exist in corgan's private collection?

9. the pumpkins were slated to do two songs for the lost highway soundtrack. name the one that didn't make it.

10. in an adore-era documentation of the band giving a shot at a studio recording of 'let me give the world to you", what slightly out-of-character instrument does james play?

11. whose debatable merits originally brought billy and d'arcy together?

12. what work earned james a nice helping of praise from billy in a guitar world interview?

13. after what 'festive' experience did billy dourly comment, "never again."?

14. what interviewer faux-pas left james with a red face during a foreign tv appearance (which *******d a performance of 'slunk')?

15. speaking of which, to whom does billy take a vocal backseat on an alternate version of the aforementioned tune? what else is different about the song?

tcm
02-28-2005, 04:47 PM
i got all of those too. pretty good.

Voice Implodes
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
i DO know lots of these but i cant thinbk right now. off the top of my head i know a few.

1. snipping scissors for percussion?

was it cupid de locke? i know there was a vitamin bottle on that song, so scissors isn't a stretch.

the metro, march 1988. dont know the exact date.

5. what unique clothes were the band apt to wear during early mcis tour shows? what kind of music did the costumes go along with?

pyjamas. farewell and goodnight

7. what cover of a song by one of corgan's favorite bands (featuring a lot of what sounds like grouchy yelling in the background beforehand) did the pumpkins record but never officially release?

probably something by The Frogs

8. of what song does a much sought-after full-band vocal version exist in corgan's private collection?

jupiter's lament

9. the pumpkins were slated to do two songs for the lost highway soundtrack. name the one that didn't make it.

Tear

10. in an adore-era documentation of the band giving a shot at a studio recording of 'let me give the world to you", what slightly out-of-character instrument does james play?

i remember it being a weird name, some alan parsons-type of band. i think it had the name project ni it, andi think it began with M

12. what work earned james a nice helping of praise from billy in a guitar world interview?

i remember reading this, but i dont remember right now. i remember the one where they argued about the judas-priest type riffs, though.

lollapalooza

14. what interviewer faux-pas left james with a red face during a foreign tv appearance (which *******d a performance of 'slunk')?

do you speak japanese?

15. speaking of which, to whom does billy take a vocal backseat on an alternate version of the aforementioned tune? what else is different about the song? ]

jimmy?

Injektilo
02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Mariner
howsabout something slightly more challenging, off the top of my head:

1. what song features a pair of snipping scissors for percussion?

2. name the enigmatic, oft rumored about, meteorological song title from the later part of the band's career

4. what song almost made it into the movie cruel intentions?

6. name the adore cover model

15. speaking of which, to whom does billy take a vocal backseat on an alternate version of the aforementioned tune? what else is different about the song?

2. Bringing the Weather
3. Metro, Oct 5th (?) 88
6. Amy something....
7. Stones - Stray Cat Blues?
8. Towers of Rabble?
10. something stringed? violin was it?

I think Mr. Implodes got the other ones I knew....

tcm
03-01-2005, 07:11 AM
for real this time.

1. Ugly, isn't it?
4. To Sheila.
5. they wore pajamas for the "acoustic" part of the set. i don't recall this ever including Farewell And Goodnight.
6. Amy Wesson.
8. what Voice Implodes said. the gospel version.
11. The Dan Reed Network.
12. Let It Come Down?
15. yeah, Jimmy. different title, some different lyrics (most notably, "you suck dick like a chump"). and, um, it's missing some weirdness at the beginning.

Mariner
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
1. Voice Implodes was the first one to get this right - Cupid de Locke

2, 3. Injektilo got these two - Bringing the Weather, 5 October 1988

4. tcm got to this one first - To Sheila

5. VI was halfway there with pajamas, tcm finished it off with the acoustic part

6. tcm - Amy Wesson

8, 9. VI correct with Jupiter's Lament, Tear

11. tcm right with Dan Reed Network

13, 14. - VI with lollapalooza and does james speak japanese

15. - VI was halfway there with Jimmy, tcm took it the rest of the way with the, heh, 'alternate' lyrics

so dudes and dudettes, that leaves

7, 10, and 12

JPK
03-02-2005, 12:13 AM
12. "Go"?

KaBaNa
03-02-2005, 05:18 AM
I know shite all about them, I already know that. I just like the music.

Voice Implodes
03-02-2005, 07:17 PM
i misunderstood the one about the pyjamas and what it related to. i did know it was for the acoustic set... they just "relate" to the song farewell and goodnight.

neopryn
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Mariner

bringing the weather!!

edit: sweet, only a couple dozen posts late

Mariner
03-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
bringing the weather!!

edit: sweet, only a couple dozen posts late

i still value your enthusiasm and obscure knowledge

Axl Rose
03-02-2005, 09:37 PM
i know a lot.

Ugly
03-02-2005, 11:25 PM
I only bothered w/ half the quizzes & got them all right.

aside from the one "difficult" fucker here, http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz.cfm?qid=11091&origin=http://www.funtrivia.com/quizlistgold.cfm_QN_cat=1672

I got 8 out of 10

the average is 4 out of 10

but still

goddamnit

douglas78
03-03-2005, 01:38 AM
you know when you watch the veuphoria dvd and corgan is talking about how he used to know a guy named len who introduced him to james? well when i was
standing in line in chicago waiting for billy to sign my book, len's sister was standing behind me. she told me who she was and she was standing there in line because this guy was with her and since she knows billy, he wanted her to give him a copy of his bands cd. i dont think the security guy let her do that though. friend or not. while we were standing there, i heard her saying how her dad one time asked, so whatever became of that "billy"?

SomaPhreak
03-03-2005, 01:52 AM
The answer to #12 is the Zero solo. Well deserved praise indeed.

Mariner
03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SomaPhreak
The answer to #12 is the Zero solo. Well deserved praise indeed.

now we're down to #s 7 and 10

AndySlash
03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Singles: 12/15
Semi-Rare: 3/10
Straight Lyrics: 11/20
Videos: 7/10
Lyrics (tough): 6/10
Lyrics (difficult): 3/10
Lyrics (sigh) and Song Titles: 9/15

Beat that bitches. I'm a tr00 fan.