View Full Version : Jimmy talks about reunion......unlikely for now


Cherub Angel
02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
found this article:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/smashing%20pumpkins%20shun%20reunion%20tour

SMASHING PUMPKINS SHUN REUNION TOUR


SMASHING PUMPKINS drummer JIMMY CHAMBERLAIN has shattered hopes the DISARM band will reunite for a lucrative tour - because they've never been interested in making money.

While Chamberlain understands why groups like the PIXIES and DURAN DURAN are regrouping for comeback tours to bolster their bank accounts, he insists the Smashing Pumpkins have always shunned the lure of get-rich-quick opportunities.

Instead, the pioneering rockers were solely focused on making good music - and would only reunite if they were confident they could recapture their songwriting magic.

He says, "When I talk to BILLY (CORGAN, Smashing Pumpkins frontman), that question sometimes comes up. The Pixies are selling out arenas now they've reformed, so this would be the time to go out and make some money - people seem to be eating this s**t up.

"But it's too precious to put a dollar sign on it. Money didn't form that band in the first place, so money isn't going to reform it."
24/02/2005 17:36

Cherub Angel
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Jimmy has always been the most straightforward one in the band......so I'll believe this for now.

Reyngel
02-24-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't really see anywhere that Jimmy says it's unlikely. All he says is that it won't happen via a motive to make money, but rather it would happen if they thought they could still make good music. In Jimmy's case, his playing is better now than it has ever been, and Billy's ability has pretty much leveled off at a high peak, as has James's, so I don't see much stopping a reunion other than personal timing. Once Billy's explored most of the avenues he needs to explore on his own, I think he'll begin working toward a closing of his life's musical circle, and conjure up a way for at least three of the former four members to get together again and bury the past once and for all.

Cherub Angel
02-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I did say "unlikely for now".....meaning that it wasn't going to happen soon.

The New
02-24-2005, 11:58 PM
I can't see Billy and James ever playing together again
Not even music

Reyngel
02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild

Not even music

What else would they play? Monopoly?

Cherub Angel
02-25-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel


What else would they play? Monopoly?

Hungry Hungry Hippos

The New
02-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Hide the salami

Mariner
02-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel
DIS ARMband

lol

dmem
02-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Jimmy: http://www.portlandphoenix.com/music/documents/04398685.asp

He also does not discount the possibility of a Pumpkins reunion.

"I miss playing those songs. Those songs are super-close to my heart. Will we get together and play those songs again? Probably. I canít see not doing that. But Iím not ready to go out and exploit them for some dollars."

Sonic Johnny
02-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

the DISARM band

lol.

alisonmonster
02-25-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel
I don't really see anywhere that Jimmy says it's unlikely. All he says is that it won't happen via a motive to make money, but rather it would happen if they thought they could still make good music. In Jimmy's case, his playing is better now than it has ever been, and Billy's ability has pretty much leveled off at a high peak, as has James's, so I don't see much stopping a reunion other than personal timing. Once Billy's explored most of the avenues he needs to explore on his own, I think he'll begin working toward a closing of his life's musical circle, and conjure up a way for at least three of the former four members to get together again and bury the past once and for all.

i think this is probably the most believable and hopeful idea i've heard on here in regards to that. I hope you're right.

SP33
02-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Thank God for Jimmy opening his mouth...

neopryn
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
i don't see any reason for james to speak to billy again after what he said.

chris_bakewell
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I think billys brilliant and all but, James should of booted him in the face for saying that he was to blame for the pumpkins breakup... That was fucking gay...

But Billy is brilliant and i really like him but, between him and james i would go for James... because he's the best..

chris_bakewell
02-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I felt sorry for james when billy blamed him for breaking up the band... what a lie.

Rockin' Cherub
02-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
i don't see any reason for james to speak to billy again after what he said.
i'd know a good one.

DeadOpera
02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
it was james girlfriend that broke the band up. chicks just get in the way.

jczeroman
02-25-2005, 01:27 PM
Trust me. If they do reuinite -- money <i>will</i> be a factor.

Mason R Butler
02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Sonic Johnny


lol.
I suppose they should've said THE END IS THE BEGINNING IS THE END band.

Cool As Ice Cream
02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
i don't see any reason for james to speak to billy again after what he said. it wasn't all that bad. a bit over dramatic. that's all.

although billy said something like james being responsible for breaking up the band, he didn't really say that. this is just what everyone wants to see in it. afterwards it becomes clearer what happened: james wanted to quit, billy (and jimmy?) decided they didn't want to continue without james. breakup. period.
does this make james responsible for the breakup? i'd rather blame billy (and jimmy?).

saying james raped little orphins would have been a lot worse, for example.

anyway, if they really want a reunion, billy will just say sorry and james will say "oh, it wasn't all that bad, you cranky old man" and that will be the end of that.

DeadOpera
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman
Trust me. If they do reuinite -- money <i>will</i> be a factor.

yeah, like im gonna trust some guy from the internet

GlasgowKiss
02-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Bit offensive to the bands he mentioned that have reformed...

MajesticFlow
02-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild
Hide the salami

eat the tube steak

Cool As Ice Cream
02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by GlasgowKiss
Bit offensive to the bands he mentioned that have reformed... The Pixies never made a secret out of their motives behind the reunion.

Voice Implodes
02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel
Jimmy has always been the most straightforward one in the band......so I'll believe this for now.

Cherub Angel
02-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
i don't see any reason for james to speak to billy again after what he said.

he blamed him for breaking up the band.....it's a big allegation, but not that big.

Corganist
02-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel


he blamed him for breaking up the band.....it's a big allegation, but not that big.
Especially if its true.

Cherub Angel
02-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Corganist

Especially if its true.


I just think it's an overstatement to say "James should never speak to Billy again" because as important as the band was in their lives, it shouldn't be that crucial to never speak to each other again.

Corganist
02-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

I just think it's an overstatement to say "James should never speak to Billy again" because as important as the band was in their lives, it shouldn't be that crucial to never speak to each other again.
I was agreeing with you. I was just saying that James *really* has no reason to hold a grudge if the things Billy said about him were true (issues with airing out dirty laundry in public aside). A lot of people seem to automatically assume that Billy's comments were just some wrongful ploy to make James into a scapegoat for the breakup, but no one really knows anything for sure.

Cherub Angel
02-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Probably the one thing I don't think we can ever understand is the amount of bad blood between everybody. Billy says that there is a lot of bad blood there. We all know that Jimmy and Billy are fine, but what about D'arcy and James? We don't know what is being said, etc. for there to be bad blood. Their circles probably run pretty close, and people talk........what is Billy saying about James to his friends? What is James saying about Billy to his?

i

wpc33
02-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by chris_bakewell
I felt sorry for james when billy blamed him for breaking up the band... what a lie.
yeah, and you would know. Being there for a fuckin second. Get over it

GrungeGuy
02-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't think they have been broken up long enough to even warrant a reunion tour. Duran Duran and The Pixies were both broken up over a decade before they got back. If the Pumpkins were to reunite now, sure it would be nice, but they would not be selling out arenas. While it may seem like they have been broken up a long time in terms of rock reunions it has not been. Think of an SP along the lines of the current Cream reunion that seems more accurate.

MeAndMyLlama
02-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by MajesticFlow


eat the tube steak

snort the cocaine

redbreegull
02-26-2005, 02:13 AM
There's really no reason that James and Billy should never make up because of what Billy said. They were "brothers" (as Billy put it) and played in a band together for 12 years. And Billy has made it clear that he has issues with James, but still cares about him.

D'arcy is the only one I can't see returning to the band, just because she's so fucking weird. The other band members have had debatably successful after-careers, but D'arcy chose to become a recluse with some horses.

Melissa would do it though.

silverfrick
02-26-2005, 02:18 AM
James has said in interviews during the 13 Steps tour that he wouldn't rule out getting back together in the future and this was after Billy's accusations.

Billy has said the Pumpkins ended up being every rock cliche in the book. I'm sure that trend will continue with the reunion tour. Billy said on a SF radio show that he would love a reunion but doesn't think it will happen anytime soon. Jimmy said they will 'probably' reunite. James hasn't shot down the idea either. Its just a matter of time. They just need to find a bassist.

Another thing, they better not wait too long. I can see Mick Jagger singing Satisfaction at age 60. I can't see Billy singing BWBW at age 45.

redbreegull
02-26-2005, 02:36 AM
Not all bands have to have some huge breakup that lasts for decades. Lots of bands break up and get back together in a matter of a few years.

Cool As Ice Cream
02-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
she's so fucking weird.

D'arcy chose to become a recluse with some horses. OMG OMG SOOO WEIRD!!! :eek:

Quiet.Riot
02-26-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think D'arcy will join again.

Voice Implodes
02-26-2005, 11:57 AM
seeing d'arcy in the reunion would be wicked, but i would be very happy with it beeing MADM again, i thought she fit in quite well. and she is very nice :D

Starla
02-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

He says, "When I talk to BILLY (CORGAN, Smashing Pumpkins frontman), that question sometimes comes up. The Pixies are selling out arenas now they've reformed, so this would be the time to go out and make some money - people seem to be eating this s**t up.
24/02/2005 17:36 [/B]

Maybe bolls should begin listening to Jimmy....A ha ha ha

Starla
02-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull

D'arcy is the only one I can't see returning to the band, just because she's so fucking weird. The other band members have had debatably successful after-careers, but D'arcy chose to become a recluse with some horses.

Melissa would do it though.

Maybe D'arcy enjoys breeding them? Nothing wrong with a little animal husbandry. Melissa sucks shit. I hope the bitch goes away and never returns. Her solo album proves she's junk.
I'd rather see D'arcy riding buck naked on a horse onto a stage playing old sp songs again!

ZackZ
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
A reunion seems kind of lame. I don't think any band has reunited other than to make money. I wish I could have seen the Pumpmkins on the Siamese Dream tour but instead I saw them on the MCIS tour with stupid Matt Walker. :(

better than new
02-28-2005, 06:42 PM
least you got to see them.

ciGarski
02-28-2005, 06:56 PM
i don't think the pumpkins would make much money with a reunion right now. duran duran? pixies? christ the pumpkins broke up almost 5 years ago not 10. they arn't nostalgic for the public yet, just us.
and maybe, just maybe, james was a little bitch and ruined the sopposed good terms that the pumpkins were on, minus dar'cy. goddamn billy gets blamed for everything, just cuz hes headstrong and out spoken. he probably shouldn't had ran his mouth in public but i think bill didn't really think anyone would notice. i mean why would he put up a email address and then take it down? that was stupid, people will still write and listen to you billy.

i don't think anyone was happy then anyway..i have a feeling ironicly that jimmy was least involved in the drama..."hey guys im back lets rock!!" "um Jimmy...weve decided to break up at the end of the year.." "oh.......damnit."

redbreegull
02-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by better than new
least you got to see them.

Word

And yeah, Billy always gets blamed for everything. You know, there actually is a possibility James did break the band up. I mean, you can bitch about Billy's ego all you want, but he refuses to play Pumpkins songs without James (even though James had nothing to do with writing most of them), so that shows he does have some deep respect for his bandmates. He could easily do a Pumpkins reunion tomorrow with all new members, and they would be great. Even Jimmy could be replaced. But the fact is that Billy hasn't, and he won't, because he is humble enough to say he wasn't the full force of the band even if we know this to be untrue.

starchunx
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
I wouldnt want to see them anyway if they performed like they did the last time I saw them in concert. (And no Im not a newb here they just deleted my account because I havnt posted in a few years)
But anyway yeah
Last time I was at a concert which was during Machina in Greensboro NC , James was on the floor laying down playing his guitar and they looked, overall, sick of everything. Ready for it to be over with. Dont play a concert if you dont want to guys, Jesus.

Axl Rose
02-28-2005, 10:12 PM
It sucks that Billy gets blamed for everything. He was the backbone of the Pumpkins and he loved being in a band. Sucks that James had to ruin the good terms that they were on!

Fat Cop
02-28-2005, 11:01 PM
I only got in SP the last 2/3 years. But I've searched alor on them and watched videos concerts etc. I think it was best they ended, any longer and it would have gotten worse, band and musically.

Even in a few of the Adore tours, I can see the tension between Bills and James. they looked bored and tired during Machina concerts.

ciGarski
02-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Fat Cop
I only got in SP the last 2/3 years. But I've searched alor on them and watched videos concerts etc. I think it was best they ended, any longer and it would have gotten worse, band and musically.

Even in a few of the Adore tours, I can see the tension between Bills and James. they looked bored and tired during Machina concerts.

no ones questioning the break up here, just the reunion...dude

Fat Cop
03-01-2005, 01:45 AM
Yea I get ya.

Like you were saying, now or even 5 years from now would be too soon maybe? Would people even remember them or care?

Maybe it also depends of the success of Billy's new album?

The Omega Concern
03-01-2005, 01:25 PM
i think Billy got upset with James when it seemed that James' motivations were not to be a 4th wheel in a 4 person band...then he goes and becomes a 5th wheel in a 5-man band and talks about how he got the better end of the deal (in the "trade" with Paz...). Puzzling and how could Billy not take that personally...

we all remember how Darcy talked about being sick of Billy in '99 at Pittsburgh during the Arising tour (take with grain of salt). James stuck it out for Machina, but I think everything in that time period was extremely thick and emotionally heavy...very heavy. Much more than any band had ever really dealt with before, and to that end, I think all of them could be excused for being less than perfect during that time (and even afterwards and up to now because the wake of the era is still settling).

The New
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull


He could easily do a Pumpkins reunion tomorrow with all new members, and they would be great. Even Jimmy could be replaced. But the fact is that Billy hasn't, and he won't, because he is humble enough to say he wasn't the full force of the band even if we know this to be untrue.

Then how is that a reunion?

chris_bakewell
03-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Axl Rose
It sucks that Billy gets blamed for everything. He was the backbone of the Pumpkins and he loved being in a band. Sucks that James had to ruin the good terms that they were on!

Hahahahaha dickhead...

Axl Rose
03-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by chris_bakewell


Hahahahaha dickhead...

no, really dude, James fucked it up!:D

ciGarski
03-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Screamin' Wild


Then how is that a reunion?

thats what i was wondering

croPUMPKINS
03-02-2005, 08:13 AM
One should also read in between the lines...
When James and Billy talk 'that often comes up'.
If they wouldn't see that coming up some time in the future, would it come up? No.
Also after that Bill 'coming out' about James Iha, there have been several quotes of both Billy and James in several media places saying something like both of us are Pumpkins, we love each other and we could imagine to play with one another again.
Billy :' James the door is alwys opened for you'.
James :'We broke up cause constant touring-recording-touring-recording for 10 years took its toll, however, I could imagine to play with Billy again. When? As soon as Perfect Circle tour ends, I don't have any plans'.
As far as they are considered, I wouldn't be surprised by anything.
Not even if Billy record turns out to be new Smashing Pumpkins album nor if he records an album but SP (in original line up), happen to go tour with it.
They are full of surprises. It may happen tommorrow it may happen - never...

vbshlofbvgos
03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Even Jimmy could be replaced

NO WAY

but just the fact that jimmy and billy actually talk about a reunion is a good thing.
billy has said his heart was in SP so i'm sure he wants to but he's just waiting for the right moment.

redbreegull
03-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Jimmy is an incredible drummer, but he's not the greatest drummer alive. He could be replaced. It may be tough to find someone up to his caliber, but there are better drummers.

vbshlofbvgos
03-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Jimmy is an incredible drummer, but he's not the greatest drummer alive. He could be replaced. It may be tough to find someone up to his caliber, but there are better drummers.

I understand what you're saying (i think)
yeah, billy could recruit others to play but I really don't think he will. he regretted continuing on with the mellon collie tour without jimmy and i think he is just too loyal to him to do that.

and by the way, who do you think could do a better job than jimmy?

just curious

smashing0
03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by redbreegull
but he refuses to play Pumpkins songs without James (even though James had nothing to do with writing most of them) he said on much music I & I in 98 that there wasn't a song that he's written that james wasn't present for that meant anything to him
so james was important in the song writing process

tcm
03-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Jimmy is an incredible drummer, but he's not the greatest drummer alive. He could be replaced. It may be tough to find someone up to his caliber, but there are better drummers.
this is like saying, "Billy isn't the greatest singer/guitarist alive." you miss the point.

ciGarski
03-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by tcm

this is like saying, "Billy isn't the greatest singer/guitarist alive." you miss the point.

exactly. he is crucial to the pumpkin sound

Sapphire
03-03-2005, 02:38 AM
I'd go so far to say that Jimmy was half the force of the Pumpkins. His drumming really carries most of the songs and without him that special touch would be missing (re: Adore.)

Starla
03-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by starchunx
I wouldnt want to see them anyway if they performed like they did the last time I saw them in concert. (And no Im not a newb here they just deleted my account because I havnt posted in a few years)
But anyway yeah
Last time I was at a concert which was during Machina in Greensboro NC , James was on the floor laying down playing his guitar and they looked, overall, sick of everything. Ready for it to be over with. Dont play a concert if you dont want to guys, Jesus.

Agreed. April 8th, 2000 , Kansas city. It blew. James had his back to the crowd throughout the majority of the time and was in his own world. Melissa was trying too hard and billy looked tired. The songs were played too damn fast like they were in a hurry to get it over with.

ciGarski
03-03-2005, 09:54 AM
this is disappointing to hear, im sorry they didn't put on a good show for you. im thankful i didn't see it though. thats not fair really that they were so lackluster about the last year of touring, i waited forever to see the pumpkins and only got to see them at the UC (not complaining) but had it been one of these shows i would have been pissed. for every fan who had only one last chance to see them and that fan went to a half ass show...not cool, pumpkins..

Pmack
03-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
I don't think they have been broken up long enough to even warrant a reunion tour.

Truth. What the SP needs is to have a generation (or more) of kids who discovered the band and had no chance to see them live. It will help immensely if Billy does not play (or rarely plays) SP songs during this period.

If the SP reforms in 2012, they will make tons of cash. Plus, Billy will get the accolades that he's always desired, as everyone under the sun will come around to the idea that he really was the most ambitious and talented artist of the "Grunge years".

That's what happened with the Pixies...