View Full Version : It took me 4 weeks to remember the word "Xiphoid Process"

Ihaman
02-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I have the worst short term memory ever, I actually have to dumb down my sentences because vocabulary I want to use doesn't immediately come to me, so I look like an idiot trying to think of the word "Xiphoid Process".

Blue*Carbonite
02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
that usually happens in cases in which the subject is ultra sexxxy

or burnt da fuck out.
:D

Blue*Carbonite
02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
oh wait matt has a boyfriend
WHERE'S DA EDIT BUTTON YO

Ihaman
02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Blue*Carbonite
that usually happens in cases in which the subject is ultra sexxxy

or burnt da fuck out.
:D

You just said "Burnt da fuck out"
did you snap and do the head swivel, too?

Yeah, my new boy and I were talking about body parts, and he was in my arms, so I poked at the bottom of his Xiphoid Process and said "this is the uh....uhm, uh.....uh! UHHHHH, yeah, it's the uhm, uh" so he laughed at me, and it's happened pretty much every day for the last 4 weeks, until today.
I just called him and said "It's the xiphoid process".
He wasn't that enthusiastic, i mean, how enthusiastic could you be if someone said something like that? so he said "oh....cool"

DeviousJ
02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman
I have the worst short term memory ever, I actually have to dumb down my sentences because vocabulary I want to use doesn't immediately come to me, so I look like an idiot trying to think of the word "Xiphoid Process".

I have that problem, except I think it's more of a long-term memory thing. Sometimes I can almost see the shape of the word in my head, but I can't quite pull it out - and I'm reluctant to use another word since they never mean quite the same thing, so I end up sat there for ages thinking 'hmmm...'

DeadSwan
02-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

I have that problem, except I think it's more of a long-term memory thing. Sometimes I can almost see the shape of the word in my head, but I can't quite pull it out - and I'm reluctant to use another word since they never mean quite the same thing, so I end up sat there for ages thinking 'hmmm...'

yeah, i kind of do that, too. i can always remember the meaning and context of something, but i have the worst time with names and terminology...though if i read them somewhere, say on an exam, i'll recognize them immediately.

sometimes i end up talking like some professor on PBS, with all these weird pseudo-intellectual pauses.

i have no idea what can be done for this problem. sometimes, if i've drank enough caffeine or the weather's really nice or something, i have almost perfect recall. othertimes, :erm

the other day i drove through a stoplight because i was trying to think of a word :o

Blue*Carbonite
02-24-2005, 05:58 PM
i've been trying to think of the guy's name who runs the "godhatesfags.com" but i'm too lazy to google.

Blue*Carbonite
02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
phelps, duh

DeadSwan
02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
i've been trying to think of the guy's name who runs the "godhatesfags.com" but i'm too lazy to google.

yeah, google is really an amazing tool for all of us with poor short-term memories.

i mean, think about it. REALLY THINK ABOUT IT.

Blue*Carbonite
02-24-2005, 06:02 PM
OK I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AAAARRRGGHHH
and even used it

DeadSwan
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
OK I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AAAARRRGGHHH

BLOWS YOUR FUCKING MIND

HUH

?!??!?!?!?!?!???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!

yeah

DeviousJ
02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

yeah, i kind of do that, too. i can always remember the meaning and context of something, but i have the worst time with names and terminology...though if i read them somewhere, say on an exam, i'll recognize them immediately.

sometimes i end up talking like some professor on PBS, with all these weird pseudo-intellectual pauses.

i have no idea what can be done for this problem. sometimes, if i've drank enough caffeine or the weather's really nice or something, i have almost perfect recall. othertimes, :erm

the other day i drove through a stoplight because i was trying to think of a word :o

Thing is, I'm pretty bad at defining words because they always have these very specific meanings and implications, and it's easier to use the actual word to capture that - so it ends up with me trying to think of the word because I wouldn't be able to say exactly what I'm trying to say otherwise. I really like when people are able to just talk, and reel off rapid-fire phrases without seeming like they're compromising. Thing is I never used to have this problem, and I have a very good memory for certain things, so I don't really know what's going on. It's annoying when it happens though.

And be careful of those stop lights - imagine if you were in New York! There'd be a few people giving you a piecce of their mind. I almost drove through a stop light a month or so ago, this van was actually blocking my view of it and I didn't realize it was stopped. I slammed on the brakes but I still overshot by a few feet. I'd have been alright anyway, but it probably looked pretty stupid - I think I was concentrating on what I was listening to at the time :o