View Full Version : ascension

Best Looking Boy
02-22-2005, 01:55 AM
that's the only reason i'm stuck here. put it on tried to talk to the roommate about it and he immediately started saying something about bitches brew. i'm not a snob i just want to have honest conversations.
i got so bored i wrote a post on craigslist and now that i've re-read it, it sounds like i actually want random people to come over and hang out. that's creepy...

I'm looking for anyone who really needs to listen to Ascension or any other album, for that matter, that produces a vehement desire to share thoughts verbally and nonverbally, and then fufill this desire with another. I want to sit down and share something with anyone who doesn't feel the need to qualify themself as a listener. Why are we so concerned with aligning ourselves with how others perceive things? What is this preconception with saying the right and proper things? Some would say it's only human to want to feel acceptance, but that is really quite silly when you think of how it relates to the questions at hand. Do you really have to say the right and proper thing to feel accepted? Sometimes what goes under the guise of the 'right and proper' thing is a short cut to feeling. It bears no real semblance to true feeling because you don't take the time to get there honestly.
When you name drop an album like Ascension people feel the need to have ideas ready and are very forceful when they get a chance to speak. Even when the record is spinning and spreading ideas and emotions, when one should really be focusing on just listening, we are thinking, and sometimes even talking. I ain't saying to hold your tongue when a record is on, hell I wouldn't be writing this now if that were true. All I'm saying is, I want to know someone in the physical world who wants to enjoy music in the company of other beings. We don't seek out people to qualify ourselves do we? So many elements of enjoying music have been twisted to accomodate the gratification of ego. Or is the genetic structure of music malformed to begin with. Is music made to be bickered over? You don't have to be from an ethereal plain to sit down and enjoy a record, or at least I should hope not. You don't have to know someone or read the work of someone who makes you think they understand things on a different level to give yourself what's due to you either.
Why am I writing this? Because I feel like I posed a genuine question to my roommate/friend while I had Ascension playing. I asked him, "When you first hear this record do you feel uncomfortable?" There was nothing wrong with his answer, or him as a human being. He just felt the need (like we all do sometimes), to mention other jazz records and the fact that he'd heard it before. Not once did he say yes or no. When one of my good friends in Baltimore played this record for me the first time it made me intensely aware of myself. So much that I withdrew from basic interaction with my friend and tried to avoid the sound emiting from the stereo to any other end.
Did I just now want my roommate to qualify my reaction to the record? I don't think so, I really just wanted to talk about how alarming it is that the album starts where most albums climax and builds on above that. I shared that impression with the album sleeve but I don't think it takes away from the sentiment of my thought.
I want to sit down and listen to Ascension with Lester Bangs. He wouldn't feel the need to qualify himself, the guy made a career out of championing bands that most people would be scared to champion. Who else in the world would write articles about bands like Count Five and write them because they really wanted people to feel the way they felt when he listened to Count Five. Hell, I want to sit down and listen to Psychotic Reaction with anyone. Look at the state of music writing, it isn't about sharing it's about rating. It's the same thing with any other form of art or whatever you want to call it, people become so concerned with rating things and by proxy rating themself socially. People will feel the need to respond to this and qualify themselves and there isn't anything wrong with that. No one even has to read this, I'm just talking to the record.

I don't want to listen to music with someone snobby, hell you can be watching MTV right now for all I care, I watch it all the same. You don't have to know who the hell Count Five are. No one outside of the Five's hometown would have know anything about Count Five if Lester didn't exist. I want to listen to music with anyone. I'm not angry at anyone. People can do anything as long as it makes them happy. I'm just typing what I think. Yup.

ryan patrick
02-22-2005, 02:20 AM
i don't think the Ascension made me feel uncomfortable the first time i heard it.

is that what this thread is about?

it didn't make me think shit about Bitches Brew either, just "this is nice"

Best Looking Boy
02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
i was really stoned and in baltimore. I wasn't really expecting everyone to feel weird, just relate a thought and get something descent in response.