View Full Version : Why do you like the Pumpkins?

TumoraXsault
02-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I was just sitting around earlier this evening, listening to the Everlasting Gaze when I started to think back to my early days of High School when I was originally introduced to the Smashing Pumpkins. I analyzed their music and started to make connections with feelings and memories of my own like I have many times before. Therefore, my question to you is, what draws you to the Smashing Pumpkins? Are you more attracted by the lyrics, or the music? Are there any particular songs that really bring back good memories? Are there any songs that you can really relate to in that you can almost express some aspect of your life by just stating the title of the song?

This isn't a survey or anything... I just think it would be interesting to see how other people enjoy the music of the Smashing Pumpkins so that I might compare their thoughts to my own. There's no need to strictly answer every question, but by all means, please feel free to add anything else you feel like.

DieDiemydarling
02-19-2005, 01:41 AM
My older brother had 1979 on his computer, and I listened to it and really liked it, so I downloaded more songs and I really liked those too.

Soon I was buying as many of their albums as I could find and memorabilia.

Songs that bring back memories are Galapagos, Pennies, Ava Adore, 1979.

neopryn
02-19-2005, 01:43 AM
they're fun to masturbate to in the shower while my nutsack bleeds

TumoraXsault
02-19-2005, 01:47 AM
:rofl:

but lets try not to cross post...let alone bring something from another forum

Voice Implodes
02-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
they're fun to masturbate to in the shower while my nutsack bleeds :rofl:

Voice Implodes
02-19-2005, 02:02 AM
i was at a friend's house in 1993 or 1994. i guess it was 1994. the rocket video came on tv, ad i mentioned to him that i thought it was awesome. he lent me the cd that day, as he never listened to it cuz he was getting into rap. i took it home, and he eventually told me to keep it. i lvoed that album so much, that i anticpated mcis with much, uh, anticipation. after that, i learned about b-sides, and started collecting, wanting to get every song of theirs i could.

i lvoed the music, plain and simple. loved the guitars, liked billy's voice, loved the lyrics. i still do. i am actually currently going through another swing of listening to the pumpkins alot after not for quite awhile. whenever i go through these things now, i realize i miss them. zwan was cool, i really liked it, but it still wasn't the same.

i associate many of their songs with very specific memories, esp. mayonaise, tonite reprise, frail and bedazzled, 1979, ava adore, and bullet.

teh b0lly!!1
02-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
they're fun to masturbate to in the shower while my nutsack bleeds

TumoraXsault, you have created a monster :p

Rockin' Cherub
02-19-2005, 06:54 AM
for me it's the music, not the lyrics. the lyrics are really weak sometimes. but i just love the guitar tones, the endless layers and the great melodies and riffs. it's really that and not more. i heard drown and knew this is the band i'm going to love.

CherubDaydream
02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I was blown away by the big diversity of sounds and great melodies of MCIS.

tcm
02-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by CherubDaydream
I was blown away by the big diversity of sounds and great melodies of MCIS.
good answer.

DieDiemydarling
02-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by tcm

fuck you cherubdaydreamsorry cherub, it was too irresistable. ;)

CherubDaydream
02-19-2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by DieDiemydarling
sorry cherub, it was too irresistable. ;)

DieDiemydarling
02-19-2005, 08:32 AM

:rofl: Whenever I make someone laugh, it feels like a beautiful rainbow has grown out of my heart. :love:

CherubDaydream
02-19-2005, 08:34 AM
awww..now THAT'S really beautiful!

Liquid-J
02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
awww..now THAT'S really beautiful!

<marquee>FUCK YOU</marquee>

CherubDaydream
02-19-2005, 08:46 AM
you can post it 19328901238 more times i dont care dude

chris_bakewell
02-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I was drawn to the smashing pumpkins by the one and only James Iha.
He's the best!!!!

Mayonaise makes me really miss the pumpkins.:(

Cool As Ice Cream
02-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Liquid-J

<marquee>FUCK YOU</marquee>

Quiet.Riot
02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
I think the guitar solos really match the lyrics. I like how there's so much emotion put in them.

The Pumpkins really make me miss music. There's no music anymore...its just rap.....crap....too much pop....MTV is now anti-real music

Isle
02-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
for me it's the music, not the lyrics. the lyrics are really weak sometimes. but i just love the guitar tones, the endless layers and the great melodies and riffs. it's really that and not more. i heard drown and knew this is the band i'm going to love.

wtf? dude, you on crack! billy's lyrics are some of the best in the world! explain yourself

relaxor!
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
i heard drown and knew this is the band i'm going to love. Yeah.

Isle
02-19-2005, 07:35 PM
i like the pumpkins because they are everything and more than i could expect from a rock band. they're not just a band. they're a FUCKING ADVENTURE!!1

neopryn
02-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Quiet.Riot
I think the guitar solos really match the lyrics. I like how there's so much emotion put in them.

The Pumpkins really make me miss music. There's no music anymore...its just rap.....crap....too much pop....MTV is now anti-real music yeah and MTV is the only source for music

wally
02-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Voice Implodes
i anticpated mcis with much, uh, anticipation.

i like them because I graduated high school in the nineties and everybody who graduated high school in the nineties does

or maybe not

DieDiemydarling
02-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Isle
i like the pumpkins because they are everything and more than i could expect from a rock band. they're not just a band. they're a FUCKING ADVENTURE!!1 yeah they are techno too

redbreegull
02-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I like the Pumpkins because they appeal to me on so many levels. I love the melodies, the guitars, the sounds, the layers, the ingenious of the tunes...

And on the other side I love what they stand for and what Billy writes about, which is stuff I can relate to and really emotionally connect with.

Quiet.Riot
02-20-2005, 01:11 AM
you can post it 19328901238 more times i dont care dude

haha fuck you cherubdaydream.

just kidding...

Rockin' Cherub
02-20-2005, 09:03 AM

wtf? dude, you on crack! billy's lyrics are some of the best in the world! explain yourself
i don't like the fact that it's all about "love is suicide" and stuff. don't get me wrong, he uses great metaphors and images but sometimes the lyrics just seem weak to me. especially gish and pre-gish era.

teh b0lly!!1
02-20-2005, 04:05 PM

i don't like the fact that it's all about "love is suicide" and stuff. don't get me wrong, he uses great metaphors and images but sometimes the lyrics just seem weak to me. especially gish and pre-gish era.

i think you should try to understand the way he matches the lyrics to the music. some lyrics are really, really stupid but they just make more sense combined with the music.
x.y.u is a good example - its all fucked up nonsense, but it expresses pure rage in a way that helps to elevate the song.
also, some lyrics, like on pissant, are also worthless but they are just fun.
"dont know, dont care, rawk"

Isle
02-20-2005, 06:03 PM

especially gish and pre-gish era.

well nobody's gonna argue with you about that, but some of his lyrics really are genius. i can appreciate if you're not such a fan of angst and melodrama (eg love is suicide etc) but that is generally the essence of b0lly.

Isle
02-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by teh b0lly!!1

"dont know, dont care, rawk"

probably his best line.

Rockin' Cherub
02-20-2005, 06:18 PM

well nobody's gonna argue with you about that, but some of his lyrics really are genius. i can appreciate if you're not such a fan of angst and melodrama (eg love is suicide etc) but that is generally the essence of b0lly.
no, not angst and melodrama, i dislike that almost all the songs are about love (especially broken love).

Isle
02-20-2005, 06:58 PM

no, not angst and melodrama, i dislike that almost all the songs are about love (especially broken love).

what's wrong with wuv?

Rockin' Cherub
02-20-2005, 07:02 PM

what's wrong with wuv?
wuv?

Isle
02-20-2005, 07:08 PM

wuv?

love!

Quiet.Riot
02-20-2005, 08:02 PM
All you need is wuv

MeAndMyLlama
02-21-2005, 03:11 PM
i saw the lyric video and i was sold on all of billy's music

Rockin' Cherub
02-21-2005, 03:48 PM
there's nothing wrong with love.

http://coverart.last.fm/300x300/1412780.jpg

Axl Rose
02-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Mayonaise, Geek USA, well...I guess pretty much anything off of Siamese fucking Dream!!!!!!!!

Quiet.Riot
02-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Axl Rose
Mayonaise, Geek USA, well...I guess pretty much anything off of Siamese fucking Dream!!!!!!!!
yes

jimmy6
02-23-2005, 06:17 PM
When I first heard MCIS it was a shitty copy of the album - so I didn't pay much attention to it - twas all jumpy and shit, I hate that. But when I was about 18 I got this sudden itch to go out and get the album, i.e buy it and listen to it again, because from what i heard between jumpy tracks - it sounded good.

From then on it was pumpkins to the max.

I had never heard an album that mixed ordinary instruments like guitars, bass and drums with electronic sounds and slick production so well - it took me years before i even started listening to the lyrics! I remember the day I bought the album I wanted to listen to it so badly that I legged up the stairs of the record shop and slipped and cracked the case slightly - arrgh!
Anyone who knows the HMV near grace bros in sydney will know the bastard stairs I'm on about.

TumoraXsault
02-23-2005, 08:22 PM
i saw the lyric video and i was sold on all of billy's music

You ARE kidding, right?

Corganist
02-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by MeAndMyLlama
i saw the lyric video and i was sold on all of billy's music :rofl:

Starla
02-24-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally

<marquee>FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK</marquee>