View Full Version : Grocery Stores Are Beautiful

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 01:08 AM
i really enjoy grocery shopping. there's nothing else like it, really. as much as i prefer the items you can find in a gourmet deli or market, the experience of a giant, glowing supermegastore cannot be equaled.

i think that makes me a simpleton. or really deep. WHICH IS IT

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 01:09 AM
:erm

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by DieDiemydarling
:erm

you don't agree :/

Lizard Queen
01-19-2005, 01:11 AM
I like old supermarkets, the ones with the narrow carts and crooked wheels.

geothestampede
01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
I really hate super_____. I can't stand having clothes/food IN THE SAME PLACE

ugh

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by geothestampede

ugh

fucking purist.

GET WITH THE TIMES

geothestampede
01-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

fucking purist.

GET WITH THE TIMES

OH HELL NO.

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 01:15 AM
oddly enough, i think malls are creepy and depressing

hmmm. this needs to be analyzed.

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 01:16 AM

hmmm. this needs to be analyzed. you need a doctor?

geothestampede
01-19-2005, 01:18 AM

hmmm. this needs to be analyzed.

i used to hate malls, but that's when i never had money.

ammy
01-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by geothestampede

ugh

i agree with this. i like target.. without food. and i like albertson's without clothes/apliances. but i don'y like those things intermixed

sppunk
01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
SuperTarget's are so fucking expensive, it's retarded. Haven't been to a Super Wal-Mart in three years.

I prefer deli's to grocery stores.

ammy
01-19-2005, 01:20 AM
i am swifter than a swift!

edit: damnit. and now i look crazy

neopryn
01-19-2005, 01:21 AM
i worked at a grocery store for 18 months. it was AWESOME.

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
i worked at a grocery store for 18 months. it was AWESOME. haha did you stay back after closing hours and mess around?

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 01:23 AM
i think malls bother me b/c of the (usually) dim lighting and the teenagers. malls feel like catacombs or high school or something.

neopryn
01-19-2005, 01:23 AM
nah we were open 24 hours but if i worked late there was no one there. it was fun anyway. it's a cool environment.

geothestampede
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
nah we were open 24 hours but if i worked late there was no one there. it was fun anyway. it's a cool environment.
I've wanted to work at a grocery store..

Sepiae
01-19-2005, 01:24 AM
I love grocery shopping. I love strolling through the produce and looking at all the beautiful colors, and in the meat department with the cuts of fish and beef. And finding good deals. :)

Zorgon
01-19-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Sepiae
I love strolling through the produce and looking at all the beautiful colors

It's even better stoned :cool: It's like you're in the 50's.

alisonmonster
01-19-2005, 01:38 AM
i love grocery shopping too - my bills are always huge because i see too many things i want to eat.
I used to work late nights and would go grocery shopping at 2 or 3 am. I loved that - no lineups - just the store to myself.

Mayfuck
01-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Grocery shopping is bad. I end up eating everything after 4 days.

barden
01-19-2005, 05:39 AM
I am queuing at my nearest out-of-town supermarket when an unpleasant scene begins to develop. Three shop assistants haul a muscular but dead young bullock out from behind the translucent flaps that guard the inner sanctum of the store, and lay it on the tiles in the tights, socks, and toothcare aisle. Another assistant emerges with several large knives, and the four of them stand around the carcass as if awaiting silent instructions. As one, they flash their knives and one of them makes a large cut in the hide of the bullock. Another slices deftly at the neck area, while the third and fourth make incisions around the jaw. The two assistants nearest the head lay their now bloody knives on the clean tiles, and, with visible effort, insert their fingers into the gashes they have just made. They begin to pull at the thick, hairy skin of the bullock, tugging hard until the flesh begins to pinkly emerge. They pull and pull, and the hide slides back over the jaw. As the skin comes back, to my horror, the bullock's eyes begin to flicker. At the moment the hide rips back over the eyes, they widen, and the bullock staggers to its feet. The assistant pull harder and harder, but the bullock charges away towards the delicatessen counter, its face flapping wildly around its flayed skull. I am close to fainting, although I cannot, as I have been queuing at the checkout for what seems like an age. At last, my items are scanned and I pay for them, my Visa card shaking in my hand.

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by barden
I am queuing at my nearest out-of-town supermarket when an unpleasant scene begins to develop. Three shop assistants haul a muscular but dead young bullock out from behind the translucent flaps that guard the inner sanctum of the store, and lay it on the tiles in the tights, socks, and toothcare aisle. Another assistant emerges with several large knives, and the four of them stand around the carcass as if awaiting silent instructions. As one, they flash their knives and one of them makes a large cut in the hide of the bullock. Another slices deftly at the neck area, while the third and fourth make incisions around the jaw. The two assistants nearest the head lay their now bloody knives on the clean tiles, and, with visible effort, insert their fingers into the gashes they have just made. They begin to pull at the thick, hairy skin of the bullock, tugging hard until the flesh begins to pinkly emerge. They pull and pull, and the hide slides back over the jaw. As the skin comes back, to my horror, the bullock's eyes begin to flicker. At the moment the hide rips back over the eyes, they widen, and the bullock staggers to its feet. The assistant pull harder and harder, but the bullock charges away towards the delicatessen counter, its face flapping wildly around its flayed skull. I am close to fainting, although I cannot, as I have been queuing at the checkout for what seems like an age. At last, my items are scanned and I pay for them, my Visa card shaking in my hand. TL;DR

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 05:42 AM
I am queuing at my nearest out-of-town supermarket when an unpleasant scene begins to develop. Three shop assistants haul a muscular but dead young bullock out from behind the translucent flaps that guard the inner sanctum of the store, and lay it on the tiles in the tights, socks, and toothcare aisle. Another assistant emerges with several large knives, and the four of them stand around the carcass as if awaiting silent instructions. As one, they flash their knives and one of them makes a large cut in the hide of the bullock. Another slices deftly at the neck area, while the third and fourth make incisions around the jaw. The two assistants nearest the head lay their now bloody knives on the clean tiles, and, with visible effort, insert their fingers into the gashes they have just made. They begin to pull at the thick, hairy skin of the bullock, tugging hard until the flesh begins to pinkly emerge. They pull and pull, and the hide slides back over the jaw. As the skin comes back, to my horror, the bullock's eyes begin to flicker. At the moment the hide rips back over the eyes, they widen, and the bullock staggers to its feet. The assistant pull harder and harder, but the bullock charges away towards the delicatessen counter, its face flapping wildly around its flayed skull. I am close to fainting, although I cannot, as I have been queuing at the checkout for what seems like an age. At last, my items are scanned and I pay for them, my Visa card shaking in my hand. but seriously, did that really happen?

barden
01-19-2005, 05:49 AM
Oh, Stanley Donwood wrote that.
His short stories are great.

He has some other nice ones about malls, but I cant find them right now.

barden
01-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by DieDiemydarling
TL;DR

I know there was a thread about it, but what does the tl;dr or whatever mean?

killer_tomato
01-19-2005, 06:52 AM

I know there was a thread about it, but what does the tl;dr or whatever mean?
too long; didn't read

barden
01-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by killer_tomato

too long; didn't read

Oh.

Okay.

I donít mind if no one reads it, I didnít write.

I just think itís really neat.

As is most of Stanley Down woods stuff.

To others who donít know: Heís the guy who does all the Radiohead artwork.

DieDiemydarling
01-19-2005, 07:05 AM

Oh.

Okay.

I donít mind if no one reads it, I didnít write.

I just think itís really neat.

As is most of Stanley Down woods stuff.

To others who donít know: Heís the guy who does all the Radiohead artwork. oh don't worry i read it.

very well written. :)

barden
01-19-2005, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by **********

I heard somewhere theres a theory that Stanley Donwood is really Thom Yorke.

Thom did flunk out of art school for making artwork very similiar to the ultra layered/messy artwork of OK Computer / Kid A / Amnesiac. hmmm..

I donít know.
I know that they were meant to be friends from University or something.

And they apparently do a lot of the artwork together.

But Iíve seen some pictures of him somewhere.

I donít remember where.

mewl
01-19-2005, 08:19 AM
i work in one. it's cool.

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 10:35 AM
great thread

french_rap_sucks
01-19-2005, 10:43 AM
i worked at a grocery store for 18 months. it was AWESOME.

i wish i could say the same. i guess it's different if no one is there, but working in a grocery store has been two of the worst jobs in my life. combining managerial incompetance, customers and other bullshit it was hardly bearable for five months.
on the other hand, working in a co-op grocery store was a lot of fun, but i was washing the dishes for the kitchen/hot bar.

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 10:47 AM
i know this is going to make me sound like an uber-burn out, but there's nothing quite like going to a grocery store really stoned. no seriously. seeing the people, them sensing you are there, you sensing that they are sensing that your are there and what you are sensing. the same applies to going to blockbuster inebriated

Winnipeg_creg
01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
it's interesting how oversensetivity often is confused with deepness.

french_rap_sucks
01-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Randall Sandell
i know this is going to make me sound like an uber-burn out, but there's nothing quite like going to a grocery store really stoned. no seriously. seeing the people, them sensing you are there, you sensing that they are sensing that your are there and what you are sensing.

not to mention that the frozen pizzas and ice cream are so close to each other.

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Winnipeg_creg

there is nothing quite like going to the grocery store on lergigan

french_rap_sucks
01-19-2005, 10:57 AM

or people who read books all of the time. i've know a lot of readers who don't seem to know shit about anything. it's like they're all over the place when they talk about something.

Winnipeg_creg
01-19-2005, 10:58 AM

there is nothing quite like going to the grocery store on lergigan

yes exactly my point. oh it's so wonderfull to smoke a cigarr in a grocery store, just next to the cheese disc underneath a big white lamp. i'm so deep!! no you're not deep, you're oversensetive.

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by french_rap_sucks

or people who read books all of the time. i've know a lot of readers who don't seem to know shit about anything. it's like they're all over the place when they talk about something.

that pretty much describes me to a 't' :-/

Winnipeg_creg
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by french_rap_sucks

yes, and they tend to ENJOY french rap.

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 11:00 AM

yes exactly my point. oh it's so wonderfull to smoke a cigarr in a grocery store, just next to the cheese disc underneath a big white lamp.

we dont allow that sort of thing in texas. we're too sensetive

french_rap_sucks
01-19-2005, 11:01 AM

that pretty much describes me to a 't' :-/

sorry. i didn't mean to hit too close to home.

french_rap_sucks
01-19-2005, 11:02 AM

yes, and they tend to ENJOY french rap.

i know, how absurd.

Nimrod's Son
01-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Every one of my friends thinks I'm strange in that I love grocery shopping. I could easily do it for two hours. Especially if I'm high. I used to shoo for 3+ hours when I was high

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
maybe it just seemed like 3 hours

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
i agree they're beautiful, but i generally dislike most of the people at the grocery. i just don't like the way people act there, but i don't know what it is that bothers me. i think it's my own neuroticity that fuels my annoyance more than anything. but people are always stopping dead in their tracks, and it's really crowded, and there are stock people everywhere and, well, this grocery is just a little hectic.

this is a 99 cent store, but it looks a lot like a grocery and i think it kinda captures what you're talking about.

http://asuartmuseum.asu.edu/gursky/gursky99cent.jpg
Andreas Gursky
99 Cent, 1999,
chomogenic color print,
6 ft. 9 1/2 in. x 11 ft. 5/8 in.

Winnipeg_creg
01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
i would like grocery stores, but they don't sell hats there, so i tend to not go to them a lot. i'm deep in that way.

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars
i agree they're beautiful, but i generally dislike most of the people at the grocery.

i bet its the minorities you dont like

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 01:06 PM
why dont you like poor people liz

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2005, 01:11 PM

i bet its the minorities you dont like

actually, you're right.

nah, but my grocery mostly caters to gay people, and i don't think you can go shopping without seeing at least one gay couple either holding hands or lovingly consulting on their purchases. one time recently, i was the only female shopper and everyone else seemed to be a gay couple. it's cool in the 'twilight zone' kinda way. it's like opposite day at high school.

pink_ribbon_scars
Originally posted by 3Marlon3Brando
why dont you like poor people liz

because they're poor

3Marlon3Brando
why do you hate gay people liz

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2005, 01:12 PM
why do you hate gay people liz

unlike poor people, gay people are fine

why aren't you at work?

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 01:13 PM
i have the day off, we are out in public this week, not at school.

neopryn
01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
i liked the poor people at the one i worked at. they were funny. one time this guy didn't have money on his food stamp card but he wouldn't believe me, so he threw a bag of chips at me.

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 01:15 PM
i bet that hurt

Karl Connor
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
it didnt hurt physically but it hurt his feelings

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
i have the day off, we are out in public this week, not at school.

i don't want to hijack this thread about the beauty of grocery stores, but how about that guy running out of Sarah's cabin when Shavonda walked in? i laughed out loud.

at my grocery when the mist-machines are going to spray the produce this audio comes on and sounds like a rainstorm and plays "Singin' In The Rain". it's cute.

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
PS- Landon is pretty lame. I think you were wrong about him.

3Marlon3Brando
01-19-2005, 01:19 PM
yes i will admit i was wrong about landon

gpub
01-19-2005, 01:22 PM

fucking purist.

GET WITH THE TIMES

Sorta like with you and your cars, huh

Winnipeg_creg
01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
my video store started selling candy a while back. since i'm a videostore purist, i stood outside the entrance for about a week with a big sign saying "crossbreeding is ruining our culture"

neopryn
01-19-2005, 01:25 PM
yes he wounded my pride. i couldn't believe he would impugn my cashier skills.

neopryn
01-19-2005, 01:25 PM
i really hope i used that word right

Nimrod's Son
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
maybe it just seemed like 3 hours Actually it seemed like 1/2 hour

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 06:12 PM
http://asuartmuseum.asu.edu/gursky/gursky99cent.jpg

i'm glad you posted this. i was going to, but i am very lazy. thanks.

and just out of curiousity, what is the difference between deep and overly sensitive? THINK ABOUT IT, PEOPLE. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

btw, i am happy with the way this thread turned out.

THANKS

SuckSuckStyle
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
i used to want to be a grocery store dj. "dj aisle 4"

Nimrod's Son
01-19-2005, 06:14 PM
PS, the grocery store where I live is frequented by some of the most beautiful people ever

It's a fun, magical place

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
PS, the grocery store where I live is frequented by some of the most beautiful people ever

It's a fun, magical place

that does sound pretty great.

on a related note, i really miss whole foods :(

the displays are so gorgeous....lovely little fruits...

DeadSwan
01-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by SuckSuckStyle
i used to want to be a grocery store dj. "dj aisle 4"

turn that dream into a reality.

Nimrod's Son
01-19-2005, 06:28 PM

that does sound pretty great.

on a related note, i really miss whole foods :(

the displays are so gorgeous....lovely little fruits... I thought you were in Cali now? We have Whole Foods here. And Henry's.

SuckSuckStyle
01-19-2005, 06:35 PM

turn that dream into a reality.

oh it'll happen.

i miss grocery stores. i havent been to once since i was home. i just go to the corner market.

Orchestra
01-19-2005, 07:00 PM
I agree completely, theres something great about them. Its kind of a sureal feeling.

Junebug
01-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Whenever I go to my grocery store late at night, there is one ancient man working there at the cash register. He is hunched over and has long yellow nails that look like they have three years worth of gunk stuck under them. I always wonder if he's breaking some sort of law with his unsanitary nails, but I rarely buy fruit at night so it doesn't matter. For some reason I like seeing him there. I bet he'll die in that store.

This same store also has a wonderful bread aisle/area. The aisles open up into this huge open space where they put all the breads and fresh pastries on tables and I get so overwhelmed with options I have to go get something else and come back before I can make a decision. I love bread.

mirrar
01-19-2005, 07:41 PM
i usually hate them. there's something desperate in the air of a lot of them-especially when you walk by some poor person in a spat with a cashier screaming about a 50 cent coupon or something. and i hate how people treat you like you're cows at a factory farm in the line. i want to be able to grow my own food and never deal with them.

however, 2 am stoned trips to the store when there's no one there and the lights and colours are tripping you the fuck out, they're not so bad.

cid92
01-19-2005, 09:09 PM
i really enjoy grocery shopping. there's nothing else like it, really. as much as i prefer the items you can find in a gourmet deli or market, the experience of a giant, glowing supermegastore cannot be equaled.

i think that makes me a simpleton. or really deep. WHICH IS IT

Has anyone read anything by Daniel Quinn? I like grocery shopping as well but here is an interesting passage from his book "Beyond Civilization":

It's easy to pick out the people who belong to "our" culture. If you go somewhere - anywhere in the world - where food is under lock and key, you'll know you're among people of our culture. They may differ wildly in relatively superficial matters - in the way they dress, in their marriage customs, in the holidays they observe, and so on. But when it comes to the most fundamental thing of all, getting the food they need to stay alive, they're all alike. In these places, the food is all owned by someone, and if you want some, you'll have to buy it. This is expected in these places; the peopleof our culture know no other way.

Making food a commodity to be owned was one of the great innovations of our culture. No other culture in history has ever put food under lock and key - and putting it there is the cornerstone of our economy, for if the food wasn't under lock and key, who would work?

To understand this quote better, go out and read the following by Daniel Quinn:

Ishmael
Story of B
My Ishmael
Beyond Civilization

yo soy el mejor
01-20-2005, 01:32 AM
I CAN DIG IT.