View Full Version : what do you want from the metro dvd?

steveoglass
11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
I would like to see the entire concert. If multiple angles are available it would be really cool but not a "must have". I would love to see bonus features which should ******* things like interviews from the band and all the musicians and guest who showed up that night. We should also hope to hear some fan sound bites.
I think a documentary such as "gracefull swans of never" should appear as a bonus as well. The packaging should be dramatic and fancy.
For all the time we have waited, we fans deserve to get one hell of a dvd. The concert is great and speaks for itself, but the dvd should have a little more to it than viephoria and greatest hits did (which was minimal packaging and design). THis most likely will be the last Smashing pumpkins dvd ever put out so it should be produced with the love and attention it deserves. I really hope they dont fuck it up. They have until the spring of 2006 to make it great. (If it comes out at all...)

Cruiser
11-18-2004, 08:15 PM
ya...... I don't know, as far as features, all I really care about is getting the full concert, start to finish..... interviews would be nice, but I'm not really expecting them..... I can't see James being overly into it... and ya, good packaging should be there. Not a standard dvd case, more carefully crafted... good artwork, and lots of artwork. It'd be cool if they could ******* some of the artwork from singles and vinyl releases and stuff that isn't too too common.

jczeroman
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
The concert that took place on 12-02-00

steveoglass
11-18-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman
The concert that took place on 12-02-00

Yeah, the final show at the metro in chicago. WHen Billy was in the silver dress. There is one song from the performance on the greatest hits dvd.

steveoglass
11-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Cruiser
ya...... I don't know, as far as features, all I really care about is getting the full concert, start to finish..... interviews would be nice, but I'm not really expecting them..... I can't see James being overly into it... and ya, good packaging should be there. Not a standard dvd case, more carefully crafted... good artwork, and lots of artwork. It'd be cool if they could ******* some of the artwork from singles and vinyl releases and stuff that isn't too too common.

I dont think James would do interviews now but I am sure there are plenty from the time periode and from that night in existance. It wouldnt be a problem to produce a mini feature about the show. There is tons of stuff out there.

Ugly
11-18-2004, 09:03 PM
there's definitely going to be a BTS feature at least, they were interviewing fans the whole weekend.

I want to see most of the screw ups cut out of the main feature (that rocket fuck up at the beginning has to go and will kill the whole momentum of popping it in) but they should keep the screw ups as easter eggs. Leave in the Rhino screw up, cuz its kinda funny.

Ugly
11-18-2004, 09:03 PM
I also wanna see DVD "interactive content" thats better than the two crappy logos we got with SPGH & Vieuphoria.

Mayfuck
11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
You guys know this isn't coming out right? Billy follows through on his promises about less than half the time.

Cherub Angel
11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
definitely some behind the scenes footage. that'd be great.

Ugly
11-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
You guys know this isn't coming out right? Billy follows through on his promises about less than half the time.

This'll come out, its built up too much headway now with the fanbase for him to cheap out on.

mydogrocks
11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
I'd like to see it boxed with a concert from each of their album era's and put it in a massive DVD box set.

neopryn
11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
i'd settle for the concert filmed from a straight on angle the whole time.

and wasn't this thing like 5 hours long? if there's any bonus features we'll be looking at a 4 disc set.

ChoobieWoobie
11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Since SP won't be under virgin's scrutiny when this is released, they could ******* the 10/5/1988 video.

Cherub Angel
11-18-2004, 11:54 PM
They're recorded so many shows......how the hell will they put everything out?

tcm
11-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by steveoglass
Yeah, the final show at the metro in chicago. WHen Billy was in the silver dress. There is one song from the performance on the greatest hits dvd.
oblivious much?

EXTRAVABONSOR
11-19-2004, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't mind a multiple angle thing. Pearl Jam doesn't have a problem putting the 'matt cam' in the special features. Then again, PJ's live at the garden is 2 and a half hours and 2 discs. the Metro show was about four and a half hours and would probably take up about four discs. Maybe five if you had enough special features. I mean the whole show was 40 songs long, and one of them is 40 minutes long

I think it would be interesting to see one set per disc with all the encores on the last one. Also, since this wouldn't be a Virgin release, I wonder how hard it would be to throw TEITBITE on there as well.

I'm also willing to bet there's a slew of unreleased, proshot mellon collie era shows buried somewhere. I think it would be insanely cool if we at least just got a tiny peek of those. Maybe some early '96 performances. Perhaps a 'We Love You' or 'Once in a Lifetime' montage. Fan interviews too. "Their handdddsssss......Their toooooeeeessss."

Also, and maybe this is too much to expect, but a parallel Mashed Potatoes-esque CD release would be to die for.

I would pay upwards of fifty bucks for each of these releases.

neopryn
11-19-2004, 12:52 AM
man i just looked at the setlist and it made me sad that they didn't play zero

neopryn
11-19-2004, 12:53 AM
and they played this time? wtf

Rider
11-19-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Ugly
there's definitely going to be a BTS feature at least, they were interviewing fans the whole weekend.

I want to see most of the screw ups cut out of the main feature (that rocket fuck up at the beginning has to go and will kill the whole momentum of popping it in) but they should keep the screw ups as easter eggs. Leave in the Rhino screw up, cuz its kinda funny.

You would be amazed how offeten they film things and never use it all.

Spaceboy88
11-19-2004, 01:15 AM
I'd like the full show (obviously), but I'd also like to see a disc that *******s the "best of" the final tour with Billy picking his favorite moments of that whole farewell tour.

Ugly
11-19-2004, 01:36 AM
I think the general concensus is the full unedited show. I think you can cram that onto 3 discs. dual layers usually hold about 2 and a half, maybe more. Sometimes more than 3 hours on one disc I've seen.

Reyngel
11-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Definitely unedited full show. So many fans would totally bitch if it was anything less than what was played that night, and I'm one of them. If it does come out in 2006, that's six years of waiting. I think we deserve a full-length presentation. As for the camera angles like the ones from Fuck You, that would be cool and all, but it's not necessary. A straight shot would be just fine. Also, the packaging should be something special, as opposed to the retarded, cheap packaging from the Greatest Hits. Considering Billy would be putting it out by himself, as opposed to Virgin, I'd expect from him something personally designed, like the Tonight, Tonight single's artwork. As for the split among different discs, I think he should put each Act on a separate disc. Cutting it in the middle of a set would take away from the feeling of the show.

Too bad no one mentioned to Billy these thoughts during the meet/greet book tour, exspecially the one of the show being full-length. Do you think he knows that most every fan insists on it being full-length?

SomaPhreak
11-19-2004, 02:37 AM
I will be pissed if they do not put out a well-edited, multiple angle DVD of the whole performance (excluding the botched beginning and transitions as covered above). Vieuphoria featured some of those (Quiet, Today, Soma, Silverfuck). I hope that this DVD will be of at least equal quality presentation-wise.

If the whole DVD is like the perfomance of An Ode to No One on the video collection DVD, I will be quite pleased. That was very well done.

A retrospective featuring interview bits by band members and live/studio footage over the years would be cool too.

Corganist
11-19-2004, 02:41 AM
As long as it has the full show in 5.1 sound, then I'll be happy. All this bollocks about fancy packaging and bonus material...meh. I wouldn't care a bit if the thing were wrapped in newspaper with "12-02-2000" written on it with a magic marker. The full show and pristine sound are all that matters. If anything, all this demand for bells and whistles will probably give them an excuse to cut songs from the set to make room. Fuck that.

severin
11-19-2004, 02:43 AM
in my dreams it's like a multiple disc set with one mixed angle and separate angles for each of them. i wanna see jimmy play that drums for the whole gig....

plus i want the show as it was, including all fuckups. as bonus i'd love to have a flac-sbd-version on the discs.

EXTRAVABONSOR
11-19-2004, 03:31 AM
i can't find a picture of it right now, but they need to have the cover be the same as the handbill. no question.

Ugly
11-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by severin
as bonus i'd love to have a flac-sbd-version on the discs.

Dude, I was fairly onboard with what you were sayin' until you hit that part.

Isle
11-19-2004, 04:15 AM
The Metro DVD will inklude...

-Full last show coverage

-Emotional after show backstage banter (minus james apparently not saying goodbye:rolleyes: )

-Interview with Billy's dad (preferably saying he "enjoys both of t****

-A little vieuphoria-style fan interviewing

-Short interviews with each band member (including darcy if she's willing) reflecting on sp's career

-A few choice live performances over the years of mcis-machina
songs

-Bugg Interview

-5 minute segment where billy sneakily lurks on netphoria then trolls blamo

-Short spoof documentary on "t3h ma5hina my5teree"

-Those three gay GATMOG cartoons

-The Bee Gees video for "Stayin' Alive" because it's the funniest video ever made.

-And on some bonus limited edition dvds you get some whacked out skate footage, a recipe for fudge and a clip of a monkey doing the macarena.

THE END

SubsidallyManic
11-19-2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by severin
i wanna see jimmy play that drums for the whole gig....
agreed.

severin
11-19-2004, 06:59 AM

Dude, I was fairly onboard with what you were sayin' until you hit that part. well, i'd settle for shn if it's necessary...

oh, and an absolute must is this script of yours...i loved that one...SP fan fiction...

Nothing/everything
11-19-2004, 07:06 AM
I'd love to have material with all band members assuring me that there will not be a reunion tour. Not in a year, not in 10 years.

Oh, and most of the stuff mentioned

Rockin' Cherub
11-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by neopryn

and wasn't this thing like 5 hours long? if there's any bonus features we'll be looking at a 4 disc set.
yeah, my thoughts.

pale blue eyes
11-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Corganist
As long as it has the full show in 5.1 sound, then I'll be happy. All this bollocks about fancy packaging and bonus material...meh. I wouldn't care a bit if the thing were wrapped in newspaper with "12-02-2000" written on it with a magic marker. The full show and pristine sound are all that matters.

neopryn
11-19-2004, 12:44 PM
So I was staring at the setlist drooling and had a few questions for anyone who went.

What was the Porcelina like? MCIS era? The one at the UC show? I can't imagine that being topped.

Ditto for Silverfuck. '97 style? A completely different take on it?

I bet Siva brought the house down too.

ZackZ
11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Isle
-A little vieuphoria-style fan interviewing

"I threw up on a tilt-o-whirl once."

Rockin' Cherub
11-19-2004, 12:54 PM

completely different take. extremely long. different lyrics. check spfc.

CherubDaydream
11-19-2004, 01:13 PM
I want a multiangled thing, like most of you others said, plus ALL the funny fuck-ups...

and as extra: the spiteface video from 1988-10-05 (or the whole 1988 metro show) IN hi-QUALity please!

Reyngel
11-19-2004, 01:41 PM
So I was staring at the setlist drooling and had a few questions for anyone who went.

What was the Porcelina like? MCIS era? The one at the UC show? I can't imagine that being topped.

I bet Siva brought the house down too.

I didn't go to the Metro show, but I've heard the bootleg.

Porcelina was the same as the UC show, but slightly better in my opinion. The "Hotel California" part was done smoother.

Silverfuck was a new style, but if you had to compare it to past versions, it was like the 40-minute ones from 97, where it would start all weird. It starts kind of slow, but very loud and big. They don't even launch into the original Silverfuck riff until like half-way through the song. Basically, just lots of power chords... very Machina-tour. The song takes off, changing dynamics from time to time. It'll be loud and angry one minute, and soft and romantic the next. The lyrics are very Machina-era, fable style. When they break into the original Silverfuck riff, it's played at like twice the speed. But they don't stick with the riff much past a minute, and then they revert back to the new style.

Siva was basically the same as the UC show.

Dead
11-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I want it to not suck as much as FU on the hits dvd. And also.. I want little to now crowd shots of stupid sweaty kids jerking around when I'm trying to watch the band play. The full setlist would also be good, no missing songs.

neopryn
11-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Dead
I want it to not suck as much as FU on the hits dvd. i'm sorry dude, but you're hopeless

Dead
11-19-2004, 08:10 PM
i'm sorry dude, but you're hopeless
So you enjoy all that ridiculous editing and effects shots? It's silly.

I'm not saying it's totally worthless but there's a lot that could be improved.

neopryn
11-19-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Dead

So you enjoy all that ridiculous editing and effects shots? It's silly.

I'm not saying it's totally worthless but there's a lot that could be improved. i thought you were talking about the music. my bad.

and yeah i did enjoy the editing, but i can see why people wouldn't.

Dead
11-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Okay cool. I thought you were saying I was crazy for not liking the editing.

MrPantyFAce
11-20-2004, 02:01 AM
aside from nudity, maybe a special message from james to billy "i'll see you in hell motherfucker". Also since billy was wearing a reflective silver dress, would that be able to function as blue screen sort of thing? in which case, a variety of of digital dress paterns to pick for billy to play in...more zwan stickers..maybe a charlie and the chocolate factory type priomotion...oh, coupons and instant and/or main-in rebate.

Jonny5
11-20-2004, 02:43 AM
I'd just like for it to actaully get released. I don't really even care if it's edited down to something like just 2 discs.

MMBKG
11-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Isle
The Metro DVD will inklude...

-Emotional after show backstage banter (minus james apparently not saying goodbye:rolleyes: )

b0lly should hire George Lucas to digitally add in James' heartfelt goodbye to his bandmates.

mirrar
11-20-2004, 10:57 PM
me, christina, shaunna and bonn as tearful 16 and 17 year olds rambling about what bolly means to us. we got interviewed like 5 times for that shit, it better make it on somewhere.

SpeedOfPain
11-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
me, christina, shaunna and bonn as tearful 16 and 17 year olds rambling about what bolly means to us. we got interviewed like 5 times for that shit, it better make it on somewhere.

Do you mean the interviews that took place in the basement of the metro the afternoon before the concert on 12/1? or was that 11/30? i forgot which date but i was also there and interviewed .The footage was never used at all! there where groups of kids like 4-5 and they would ask questions about SP and you had to sign a release form

Future Boy
11-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by EXTRAVA******
i can't find a picture of it right now, but they need to have the cover be the same as the handbill. no question.

You mean the black one with red lettering and a rose? Cause if so, you're right, that would be a great cover.

jack_kerouac03
11-21-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Future Boy

You mean the black one with red lettering and a rose? Cause if so, you're right, that would be a great cover.

this + the jimmy cam - which needs to be on a sticker on the cover. "Featuring the Jimmy Cam!"

EXTRAVABONSOR
11-21-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Future Boy

You mean the black one with red lettering and a rose? Cause if so, you're right, that would be a great cover. yes, that one.

The Gaddrow
11-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Jennifer fucking Ever.

I don't care how bad Melissa fucked it up.

The New
11-21-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by jack_kerouac03

this + the jimmy cam - which needs to be on a sticker on the cover. "Featuring the Jimmy Cam!"

:rofl:

wpc33
11-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Corganist
As long as it has the full show in 5.1 sound, then I'll be happy. All this bollocks about fancy packaging and bonus material...meh. I wouldn't care a bit if the thing were wrapped in newspaper with "12-02-2000" written on it with a magic marker. The full show and pristine sound are all that matters. If anything, all this demand for bells and whistles will probably give them an excuse to cut songs from the set to make room. Fuck that.
AMEN

chris_bakewell
11-22-2004, 05:00 AM
I just want it.

Villarelo
11-23-2004, 09:10 AM
We'd been waiting too long now, It MUST be unedited, all the setlist. If one second is cutted off I would kick that shit back directly to his head!! :rant:

....And good artwork, I fucking hate that crappy DVDs that you opened and there is nothing else than the disk, I think that a booklet of 1979 pages would be fine. :jump:

Reyngel
11-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by MMBKG

b0lly should hire George Lucas to digitally add in James' heartfelt goodbye to his bandmates.

Like Michael Jackson's digitally recreated self on the menu-monitor in the 80's diner in Back to the Future Part 2.

eraserhead
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Why didn't they play hummer???

SP33
11-23-2004, 05:40 PM

Spiteface tease!!!!!!!

RatInACage
11-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by eraserhead
Why didn't they play hummer???

cause they suck

homechicago
11-23-2004, 09:06 PM
just want the whole thing, no cuts, no interruptions. fancy stuff is fine, but not crucial.

Deege
11-23-2004, 11:50 PM
I think the whole show would realistically fit on two discs, not four.
Hell, the Lord Of The Rings movies are over 3 hours long, and the entire movie fits on one DVD (without special features).

So I'd say, most of the show on disc 1, the rest plus some special features on disc 2.

Ugly
11-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Deege
I think the whole show would realistically fit on two discs, not four.
Hell, the Lord Of The Rings movies are over 3 hours long, and the entire movie fits on one DVD (without special features).

So I'd say, most of the show on disc 1, the rest plus some special features on disc 2.

You're forgetting that Billy will want to soak us, though. He could make it a disc per song and we'd still buy it.