View Full Version : Would it be stupid...

obscured01
11-13-2004, 03:48 PM
<font color="dab9ea">I got the ok from my landlord to paint my apartment, but the deal was that I had to paint it back to an off white when I moved. I don't plan on moving for a few years because I like the place... so would it be worth it, or would that be stupid?

I'm also wanting to change out a light fixture and put on a screen door... I know I need to contact them first, but has anyone done changes like these to their apartment? How long have you been living at your current place?</font>

Mo
11-13-2004, 03:52 PM
gee, of course - paint it!

obscured01
11-13-2004, 03:53 PM
<font color="dab9ea">See I was going to (just like the kitchen and maybe my bedroom) and my boyfriend and mother said that doing that was terribly stupid.</font>

Mo
11-13-2004, 03:56 PM
why would that be stupid?
i mean, you gotta live in there for another few years, as you said, why not painting it the color you like?

murgle
11-13-2004, 03:57 PM
my mom and I always painted at least our mantle when we lived in apartments. We painted it back before we moved (we might not have painted the mantle when we moved out of the complex entirely though, because we didn't care).

I was going to paint in my apartment, but there are so many different shades of white, I don't want to match the wrong shade.. besides, I wouldn't know which wall to paint- they're all kind of strange... my patio doors are a bay-window type style, and there's a weird enclave next to the fireplace becaue that's where the tv is "supposed" to go.

But yeah. go for it.

I really don't think they'd care if you added a screen door.. just take it down when you move, and fill in any holes it makes in the door frame. Same with the light fixture. Just change it back when you move out.

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:01 PM
<font color="dab9ea">It's cool that you have a fireplace, I wish I did. :(

<a href="http://www.silentpoetry.net/newapt.asp" target="new">Here's</a> some picture of my apartment, maybe that'll make a difference.</font>

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:03 PM
<font color="dab9ea">It's just not quite right, and I can't seem to get it right. I'd like curtains... and new blinds. and I don't know what else...</font>

Mo
11-13-2004, 04:04 PM
i would just paint the living room.

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
enjoy purple much?

<font color="dab9ea">yeah I know. It's not quite that bad, I've taken some of the chairs and stuff out. </font>

Mo
11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by obscured01

<font color="dab9ea">yeah I know. It's not quite that bad, I've taken some of the chairs and stuff out. </font>

lol :D

murgle
11-13-2004, 04:10 PM
yeah, I think only once my mom and I didn't have a fireplace in our apartments.

just dont paint it purple! hehe.
I was thinking of painting one wall kind of a light lavendar color, but it wouldnt really match my furniture or anything.

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

you mean you got rid of that blue computer chair and replaced with a purple one, am i right?

<font color="dab9ea">No, I meant the foot stools and the purple chair near the window.</font>

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:18 PM
<font color="dab9ea">What color would look good?</font>

Peasoup Fan '01
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
<font color="dab9ea">See I was going to (just like the kitchen and maybe my bedroom) and my boyfriend and mother said that doing that was terribly stupid.</font>
The only reason they are saying it's stupid is because they don't want to help you do it.

murgle
11-13-2004, 04:23 PM
<font color="dab9ea">What color would look good?</font>

Maybe a light green? This was the color of my room at my dad's house. Pardon part of my head being in the photo.

obscured01
11-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Peasoup Fan '01

The only reason they are saying it's stupid is because they don't want to help you do it.

<font color="dab9ea">Yeah I figured that, well, Zach said he absolutely was not going to help me paint it back white if I did paint it. bum.

Kate - that green is really really pretty - in fact that's pretty much the color in every room at my mom's house. Would that look ok with the purple/blue?</font>

murgle
11-13-2004, 04:35 PM
<font color="dab9ea">
Kate - that green is really really pretty - in fact that's pretty much the color in every room at my mom's house. Would that look ok with the purple/blue?</font>

Yeah, I think so, that's why I suggested it. That green is pretty light, so I think almost any color would look ok with it.

Go to Home Depot and get a couple of paint swatches (I got mine at Home Depot, but I don't remember the name of the color) and see what you like best with all of your purpley stuff :)

Peasoup Fan '01
11-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by murgle

Maybe a light green? This was the color of my room at my dad's house. Pardon part of my head being in the photo.
You look hot in that pic

SuckSuckStyle
11-13-2004, 06:36 PM
yeah paint one wall of your bedroom green. like a pale lime green. not seafoam.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
11-13-2004, 09:10 PM
We painted even though the landlord said we could only do it beige... It was this awful eggshell colour before and now it's baby blue and green... The green is the colour murgle posted, but it looks attrocious in the kitchen.

Paint. It's a refreshing feeling, and it makes the apartment feel more like home. As long as it's not neon, you might be able to get away with it when you move.

SPFreak37
11-14-2004, 05:12 AM
paint the walls gray. the place i jujst moved into has white walls, with white ceilings, with white trim with beige carpet.. gross!!! its soooo neautral i hate it!!!! and we cant paint... sucks!!! i would paint it gray.... yeah

alexthestampede
11-14-2004, 05:13 AM
if you paint it anything like greenish or blueish you will come to hate it soo much later.

alexthestampede
11-14-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by SuckSuckStyle
yeah paint one wall of your bedroom green. like a pale lime green. not seafoam.

maybe one wall would not be so bad. id rather have one wall black though. i guess id have to see it before i admit it would look bad

obscured01
11-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by alexthestampede

maybe one wall would not be so bad. id rather have one wall black though. i guess id have to see it before i admit it would look bad

<font color="dab9ea">black? wtf? No, I'm not painting anything black.</font>

mirrar
11-14-2004, 01:05 PM
i wish i had the energy to paint my walls in my apartments ever.

SuckSuckStyle
11-14-2004, 01:12 PM
yeah def. do the one wall thing. becuase then you wont feel trapped by the color but will still have it there and it will accent the room nicely.

obscured01
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
yeah def. do the one wall thing. becuase then you wont feel trapped by the color but will still have it there and it will accent the room nicely.

<font color="dab9ea">That's an awesome idea. Would that look okay in the living room too? Like 1 wall per room (bedroom/kitchen/livingroom)?</font>

obscured01
11-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
i wish i had the energy to paint my walls in my apartments ever.

<font color="dab9ea">This is the first apartment I've gotten the ok to do that in... as long as I paint it back. And one wall to paint back is a lot less daunting than the whole apartment.</font>

SuckSuckStyle
11-14-2004, 01:51 PM

<font color="dab9ea">That's an awesome idea. Would that look okay in the living room too? Like 1 wall per room (bedroom/kitchen/livingroom)?</font>

yeah totally. it brings out a lot of color w/out being surrounded by BLUE.

youknow when you paint the whole room one color and you're like 'oh man...that's really fuckin blue'

i'd do the wall behind your couch

obscured01
11-14-2004, 01:52 PM

yeah totally. it brings out a lot of color w/out being surrounded by BLUE.

youknow when you paint the whole room one color and you're like 'oh man...that's really fuckin blue'

i'd do the wall behind your couch

<font color="dab9ea">I can definately do that. Thanks so much :)</font>

Lucy Sky Diamonds
11-14-2004, 01:57 PM
If you choose one colour to do one wall in each room, it will cost you less.

Keep in mind it's easier to paint over a light or pastel colour then a vibrant one. Pastels can be painted over with white in one or two coats, without having to put down primer...

obscured01
11-14-2004, 02:02 PM
<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, I was thinking a pastel blue in my living room, a pale green in my room, and I don't have a clue for the kitchen...</font>

alexthestampede
11-14-2004, 02:04 PM
has anyone seen that movie belly? because if you paint all your walls one color other than white or off white you will get sicker of living there faster than you did of seeing the movie belly

meow
11-14-2004, 02:20 PM
<font color="dab9ea"> but has anyone done changes like these to their apartment? How long have you been living at your current place?</font>

no, but my best friend paints her apartments all the time... she says its totally worth not living in a drab apt

Lucy Sky Diamonds
11-14-2004, 05:14 PM
<font color="dab9ea">Yeah, I was thinking a pastel blue in my living room, a pale green in my room, and I don't have a clue for the kitchen...</font>

Green is a bad kitchen colour, and red makes you want to eat more....

I suggest canary yellow for the kitchen.

If you have wallpaper anywhere, or moldings (I can't think of the word in English. Not mold, but when there is an actual pattern in the wall, usually sticking out) then it makes paiting SUCK.

I'm trying to find a picture of our lame green kitchen... Apparently I have none...