View Full Version : my car...

jenn
11-09-2004, 10:58 AM
has been breaking down a lot for no reason. well, either breaking down or not starting. it's a 2002 Saturn SC1. i'm getting it fixed one last time tomorrow, but if it happens again, it's gone.

i'm thinking about getting a Toyota Matrix XR... anyone have an opinion or better suggestion?

- I need 4WD or AWD because of the snow up here
- I need a car that will fit my harp, so the seats need to go down.
- I need something with a back seat
- I hate SUVs, Minivans and Trucks.
- I can't afford more than $24,000

Isle
11-09-2004, 11:00 AM
monster truck 4 u

http://www.monstertrucks-uk.com/bloomsburg99/291.jpg

Andy /
11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllll

obscured01
11-09-2004, 11:05 AM
<font color="dab9ea">My saturn (97 sc1) was a piece when I first got it, it was in the shop all the time. It's better now though, and I plan on driving it until it won't possibly drive anymore. It is finally paid off :)</font>

jenn
11-09-2004, 11:07 AM
What was wrong with it?

I have 75,000 miles on mine.

Radiofred
11-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by obscured01
<font color="dab9ea">My saturn (97 sc1) was a piece when I first got it, it was in the shop all the time. It's better now though, and I plan on driving it until it won't possibly drive anymore. It is finally paid off :)</font>

You still got your VW Beatle?

obscured01
11-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Radiofred

You still got your VW Beatle?

<font color="dab9ea">Yep. It's at my mom's house in her garage. It needs repairs that I can't afford right now :(</font>

obscured01
11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by melancholia
What was wrong with it?

I have 75,000 miles on mine.

<font color="dab9ea">Mine currently has 61,000 - About 6months after I bought it the head broke, and had to be replaced, luckly it was under warrenty, so it paid for it all - and then I had some issue with the spark plugs not hitting right or something, the cvs valvue being clogged. I dunno. I've put in probably around $800 in repairs since I've had it.</font>

SuckSuckStyle
11-09-2004, 11:54 AM
matrix's are alright but..eh. i dunno. my coach last year got one and its cool and all...what about a scion

jenn
11-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SuckSuckStyle
matrix's are alright but..eh. i dunno. my coach last year got one and its cool and all...what about a scion

What's a scion?

And what have you heard as for pros and cons of the matrix?

I was also thinking about Pontiac Vibe, but the Matrix has more bells and whistles, and it's cheaper.

jenn
11-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I just checked it out...it is so fucking cute. I love the lights and how easy it is to pimp out...

but it's not four-wheel or all-wheel drive...and that's a requirement for me because of the snow we get up here.

Trotskilicious
11-09-2004, 12:08 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Mitsubishi Lancer = 4WD.</font>

SuckSuckStyle
11-09-2004, 12:09 PM
oh yeah i forgot about the snow thing..

actually my coach was very very happy with the car.

SuckSuckStyle
11-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Trotskilicious

i'd drive this car

or a subaru wrx

jenn
11-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by SuckSuckStyle

i'd drive this car

or a subaru wrx

I just compared the matrix to the wrx. the wrx is too expensive but otherwise amazing. i never speed thouhg, so it's not liek id' have a lot of fun with it.

jenn
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM

yeah....i like it. but it's $30,000.

Trotskilicious
11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I wouldn't buy anything new unless it was a Beemer.</font>

phaedrus
11-09-2004, 12:25 PM
learn a lesson from your experience with your saturn: buy japanese.

toyotas and hondas are ace.

with american vehicles you end up having them in the shop half the time. it takes a fortune just to maintain them. they're just over-engineered.

jenn
11-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by phaedrus
learn a lesson from your experience with your saturn: buy japanese.

toyotas and hondas are ace.

with american vehicles you end up having them in the shop half the time. it takes a fortune just to maintain them. they're just over-engineered.

i come from a family who is OBSESSED with buying american. when i got my saturn, i did it because i trusted the opinion of my family over the opinion of my liberal friends. and yeah... i completely fucking agree. i have been converted. no more american cars. never. go japan.

and i've had problems with this car since 2003, ironically- ever since my 50,000mile warenty was up. i've spent over a thousand dollars getting it fixed and yesterday, i was stranded in a freezing cold parking lot because the fuckign thing doesn't start when it's too warm, or too cold. and i fucking HATE it.

Trotskilicious
11-09-2004, 12:30 PM

i come from a family who is OBSESSED with buying american. when i got my saturn, i did it because i trusted the opinion of my family over the opinion of my liberal friends. and yeah... i completely fucking agree. i have been converted. no more american cars. never. go japan.

and i've had problems with this car since 2003, ironically- ever since my 50,000mile warenty was up. i've spent over a thousand dollars getting it fixed and yesterday, i was stranded in a freezing cold parking lot because the fuckign thing doesn't start when it's too warm, or too cold. and i fucking HATE it.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">That's because it was a Saturn, not because it was of American make.</font>

jenn
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
^ again, good point.

chevy's tend to be wicked reliable...but expensive for what i need right now.

i still like japanese cars better at this point though.

Pinnacle
11-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I would strongly suggest a regular Subaru Impreza, not the WRX edition, which adds thousands to the bottom line. Excellent built car and Subaru pretty much invented AWD. Also, they have great resell value later down the road.

meow
11-09-2004, 03:27 PM

that's what i'm going to buy as soon as i have money

RALLY CAR!!!

meow
11-09-2004, 03:28 PM
hey get a truck

souvenir
11-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I live higher up north than you and even when I lived in the country I never felt like I needed 4WD or AWD. Just good <u>winter</u> tires. Unless you live in the mountains or something (which you may do, I don't know), I don't think it's an absolute need to have 4WD or AWD. But I know it's a nice thing to have anyway, if it makes you feel safer, than it's all good.

Debaser
11-09-2004, 03:54 PM

i come from a family who is OBSESSED with buying american.

tell your family that more japanese brand cars are made in america than american brand cars. Tons of Toyotas are built in California. Hondas built in Ohio. Shit, even BMW has a plant in North Carolina or thereabouts.

Where are "American" cars like Ford and Chevy built? Canada and Mexico. Look it up.

Also, best website for research everything about any car:

www.edmunds.com

Liquid-J
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
get a bentley

phaedrus
11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Pinnacle
I would strongly suggest a regular Subaru Impreza, not the WRX edition, which adds thousands to the bottom line. Excellent built car and Subaru pretty much invented AWD. Also, they have great resell value later down the road.
i don't know why Subarus have such a reputation. they win rally races because their core is solid, but man, subaru owners have a touch time with finicky things breaking down.

phaedrus
11-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
Hondas built in Ohio.
and Ontario!

alexthestampede
11-09-2004, 04:38 PM
if you ruined a car in two years you dont deserve a new one. you wouldnt get one if we were communist, anyway.

jk
no im not

at least that makes me feel better about my car problems. if it just lasts 2 years ill have done better than you

phaedrus
11-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by souvenir
I live higher up north than you and even when I lived in the country I never felt like I needed 4WD or AWD. Just good <u>winter</u> tires. Unless you live in the mountains or something (which you may do, I don't know), I don't think it's an absolute need to have 4WD or AWD. But I know it's a nice thing to have anyway, if it makes you feel safer, than it's all good.
whenever you drive on the highway during the first few snows of the season, look around and check out which cars are in the ditch. chances are it's somebody with a big AWD/4WD vehicle who thought they could drive faster than everyone else just because they had AWD. they push it, and lose it. this tires comment is pretty appropriate for those conditions too.

jenn
11-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by souvenir

I live in Schuylerville. Which if you don't know is the valley right before the mountians. So, we tend to get a lot of the icy/mix rather than the snow...the snow doesn't bother me. The slushy icy stuff bothers me. Especially since the only road to get to my house is (Rte 29) which isn't plowed as much as it should be. I skid last year on the northway...and i was lucky.

jenn
11-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by alexthestampede
if you ruined a car in two years you dont deserve a new one. you wouldnt get one if we were communist, anyway.

jk
no im not

at least that makes me feel better about my car problems. if it just lasts 2 years ill have done better than you

i drive like an old fucking woman. there is no possible way my car problems are my fault. especially when the majority of the problems occur when i'm idle (at a stop light, or a sign), or when the car fails to cease. so...seriously, fuck you.

jenn
11-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by phaedrus

whenever you drive on the highway during the first few snows of the season, look around and check out which cars are in the ditch. chances are it's somebody with a big AWD/4WD vehicle who thought they could drive faster than everyone else just because they had AWD. they push it, and lose it. this tires comment is pretty appropriate for those conditions too.

i wouldn't use it to drive faster. i'm such a pussy in bad weather...and i know it's always the big AWD/4WD trucks flipped over. that's why i dont' want a truck, and i'd never drive like that. i just like the idea that if one or both of my front tires begin to skid, i have the back-up rear tires to hopefully gain back my traction before i die. also, the toyota (i compared them earlier) has not only ABS but an electronic anti-skid system, and with the amount of driving i do from NY to MA and NH, that might come in handy.