View Full Version : Tonight is Mischief Night.

skippy
10-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Did you lame fuckers even know that? Kids don't do shit anyomore on Mischief Night. It's the pussification of our society. I think I lamented the loss of Mischief Night last year too.

If you'll excuse me, I have some tires to slash.

Toby
10-31-2004, 12:27 AM
I've only been out TP'ing once in my life.

obscured01
10-31-2004, 12:28 AM
<font color="DAB9E8">I've never heard of Mischief night before.</font>

Mooney
10-31-2004, 12:30 AM
i smashed a pumpkin once. the joke was on me, though, because it was water-logged and i got pumpkin guts all over myself.

skippy
10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
it's the stupidest thing ever

wow throwing toilet papers in trees, that's goddamn hilarious.

let's burn some churches and show the kids how mischief night should be done

Back in the day, kids did a lot more than throwing toilet paper in trees. How's about I drive up to your place and light your goddamn house on fire and show you what i'm talking about. How would that be?

Toby
10-31-2004, 12:34 AM
the first and only time I went out TP'ing my friend and I listened to all of Mellon Collie beforehand to get pumped.

jenn
10-31-2004, 12:35 AM
I've always heard it called Devil's Night...never Mischief Night.

skippy
10-31-2004, 12:43 AM
http://rpenland.bee.net/mischief.htm

skippy
10-31-2004, 12:44 AM
http://www.postcards.org/go/postcards/pickup/50-becalm-refill-netphoria

tootsie
10-31-2004, 12:49 AM
talk about pussy, all the kids in utah are trick or treating tonite so they dont have to trick or treat on the SABBATH.

skippy
10-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Here's some background. I thought it was interesting.

We should be thankful that we don’t live in the 19th century._ Kids back in those days used to overturn outhouses._ I can’t even imagine being the pour soul who happened to be sitting in there when that happened!

We should also be happy that we didn’t live in Southbridge, MA, in the 1920’s._ There was a lot of horse manure flying around on Mischief Night in that town._ And if you owned a cow, there was a good chance it would be missing from your barn the next morning._

It’s a good thing, too, that none of us lived in Detroit in 1985 on Devil’s Night._ That’s what they call the night before Halloween in that city._ And for good reason._ There’s a history in that town of setting fires all over the city._ That year 297 Devil’s Night fires were set._ Maybe if you got caught, you could claim that “the devil made you do it.”

So, how did Mischief Night or Devil’s Night or Goosey Night (which is what I hear they call it in Paterson, Wayne, and Clifton, NJ) or Cabbage Night (which is what I hear they call it out in the rural country) or Beggar’s Night (which is what I hear they call it in Albany, NY) start anyway?_

It all started with Halloween around 500 B.C. in a place that is now Great Britain, France, Scotland and Ireland._ October 31st was the beginning of the Celtic New Year and marked the end of summer._ The Druids believed that, on that one day of the year, all of the spirits, elves, and fairies were allowed to walk the earth._ More than that, they were allowed to meddle in the affairs of the living._ To appease these ghosts and monsters, the Druids made huge bonfires, sacrificed animals, made food offerings, and held celebrations._

Christians weren’t able to do away with the pagan holiday altogether, so they made November 1st All Saints Day and proclaimed October 31st “All Hallow’s Eve.”_ The poor would go around and beg from door to door on that night.

The Irish and Scottish immigrants brought the tradition of Mischief Night to America, when they came here during the 1800’s._ They would play pranks and create mischief and then blame it on witches, ghosts and goblins the next day.

Mischief Night doesn’t seem to be nearly as popular these days as it was when I was growing up in Newark, NJ._ I wonder why that is._ Maybe it’s because all the kids who were creating mischief back then are now grown up with their own property to protect._ And let’s face it; it’s a lot more fun to throw an egg at a car window on Mischief Night than it is to have to be the one to clean it off on Halloween morning.

obscured01
10-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by tootsie
talk about pussy, all the kids in utah are trick or treating tonite so they dont have to trick or treat on the SABBATH.

<font color="DAB9E8">Yeah my mom was pitching a fit tonight saying she thought it was awful that people would trick or treat on Sunday. And on a school night! </font>

BoredomOutshine
10-31-2004, 12:58 AM
We called it Gate night.

Nimrod's Son
10-31-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by BoredomOutshine
We called it Gate night. I've also heard it called Devil's Night and Goosey Night.

In the NJ town I grew up in, it was called Cabbage Night.

BoredomOutshine
10-31-2004, 01:44 AM
WTF cabbage night??

that makes NO sense. *throws cabbage through old lady's window* OH YEAH! BURN!