View Full Version : ...coen brothers?

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 12:53 AM
so after watching Fargo again, I need more.

is any of their other stuff any good.

Ugly
09-25-2004, 01:03 AM
<B>Big Liebowski</B> is fun.

<B>O Brother, Where Are Thou</B> is real good.

<B>Miller's Crossing</B> is badass.

<B>Ladykillers</B> gets a bad rep but it's really funny at times too. ("Must shoot!" "You brought your BITCH to the WAFFLE HUT!" "Don't play dat hippity-de-hop music around here!")

They're involved somehow in <B>Bad Santa</B>. Not very Coen Brothers-y but, goddamnit, that flick rules.

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 01:03 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I've never heard of them. Fargo? What's that?</font>

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 01:04 AM
i'm thinking pre Fargo. i've seen most post.

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I've never heard of them. Fargo? What's that?</font>
haw.

avian chaos
09-25-2004, 01:05 AM
I didn't think Lady Killers was that great. There were some funny moments, but it wasn't really worth it. The out takes were good, though, when the black woman would just repeatedly slap them over and over, repeating her lines.

Ugly
09-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by avian chaos
I didn't think Lady Killers was that great. There were some funny moments, but it wasn't really worth it. The out takes were good, though, when the black woman would just repeatedly slap them over and over, repeating her lines.

I saw it on a plane and I was really tired but couldn't fall asleep on the stupid plane. It kept me in a good mood.

Anyway I think "The General" in Ladykillers is one of my favourite Coen brothers' characters ever. Seriously when he kept growling "Must shoot" I almost woke up the whole goddamn plane.

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 01:07 AM
ATTN: posters in this thread: this thread is not about ladykillers. please cease and desist all speak of said film.

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 01:10 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I'm such a nerd

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
Big Lebowski
O Brother Where Art Thou?
The Man Who Wasn't There
Intolerable Cruelty*
The Ladykillers

Those are in order from earliest to latest, from the top of my head.

*Intolerable Cruelty is a studio picture that had some trouble so the Coens were brought in to re-write it and direct it. I haven't seen it but I hear parts of it are special. Plus, Geoffrey Rush is in it.

I also haven't seen the Ladykillers. I'm rather worried. I don't want to be mad at the Coens for being stupid about black folk.</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 01:11 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">P.S. Barton Fink is kind of insulting. I advise against seeing it.

Hudsucker is truly something else. "You know, for kids!" I haven't seen that one in years.</font>

Ugly
09-25-2004, 01:14 AM
I remember I wasn't that much of a fan of Blood Simple. I loved Miller's Crossing. It had a great look and one of my favourite Coen Brothers lines. <I> *BLAM* "Always put one in the brain!"</I>

I still gotta see the ones people regard as the weaker ones - Barton Fink & Hudsucker.

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 01:14 AM
ok, so which pre-Fargo are the best?

and how was The Man Who Wasn't There?

Axis of Action
09-25-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">P.S. Barton Fink is kind of insulting. I advise against seeing it.

Hudsucker is truly something else. "You know, for kids!" I haven't seen that one in years.</font>

Hudsucker was one of my favorite movies for many years. I've seen more films so it's slowly moved down but it'll always hold a special place to me. It's such a great movie. I showed it to some of my friends a couple years ago and they just didn't seem to get it. Their loss.

sleeper
09-25-2004, 01:22 AM
just see the big lebowski. it really is a modern classic if you ask me, although its often tagged as a cult film. its fucking hilarious and has so many quotable lines. they invade your everyday speech like crazy. or for me at least. "well.. thats just, like, your opinion man."

my favourite thing is the violent degradation of his car throughout the whole movie

phaedrus
09-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by sleeper
just see the big lebowski. it really is a modern classic if you ask me, although its often tagged as a cult film. its fucking hilarious and has so many quotable lines. they invade your everyday speech like crazy. or for me at least. "well.. thats just, like, your opinion man."

my favourite thing is the violent degradation of his car throughout the whole movie
i don't know about that. i've watched both the big lebowski and fargo in the past week, and i'd definitely have to go with Fargo as the better film.

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by phaedrus
ok, so which pre-Fargo are the best?

and how was The Man Who Wasn't There?

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I loved the Man Who Wasn't There but it is <i>brutally</I> subtle.

Raising Arizona is a hoot and a half. Actually it's more like one entire hoot and three fifths of another hoot.

"H.I., I WANT ME A TODDLER!"</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by phaedrus

i don't know about that. i've watched both the big lebowski and fargo in the past week, and i'd definitely have to go with Fargo as the better film.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Fargo is the better film but I can re-watch The Big Lebowski over and over and over again and not get tired of it. It's one of those movies. It's like Back to the Future or L.A. Confidential.

Besides The Big Lebowski is more clever than people give it credit for. It's Stoner Noir set in a bowling alley. JENIOUS.</font>

sleeper
09-25-2004, 01:35 AM
yeah fargo of couse is better, i didnt see where that post where you said you saw pre-fargo films.

stoner-noir is wicked way to put it. stoner films are surprisingly good it would seem. half baked and office space come to mind.

neopryn
09-25-2004, 01:37 AM
i didn't know office space was a stoner movie

sleeper
09-25-2004, 01:40 AM
there isnt any actual weed in it i dont think. its the mentality of it and the characters

Mr. Rhinoceros
09-25-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by sleeper
there isnt any actual weed in it i dont think. its the mentality of it and the characters

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Interesting concept. When peter talks about the pieces of flair that the nazis made the jews wear sounds like he's stoned out of his gourd.</font>