View Full Version : guns n roses get too much credit

mojo
11-27-2002, 01:46 PM
i'm sick of reading about guns n roses enternally delayed comeback. who gives a fuck, they were never one of "our" bands, they always had more in common with the spandex-clad poodle permers than they did with sonic youth, pixies, soundgarden, janes addiction - i.e. the bands who broke the stifling 80s rock mold and paved the way for nirvana. back in 1989 g n'r they were just another LA hair metal band, poison with better tunes and bigger record sales... they played duets with elton john for fucks sake and made video with girls in wedding dresses standing in the desert - how could this band be less cool if they tried?

french_rap_sucks
11-27-2002, 01:56 PM
why do you care?

Elvis The Fat Years
11-27-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mojo
i'm sick of reading about guns n roses enternally delayed comeback. who gives a fuck, they were never one of "our" bands, they always had more in common with the spandex-clad poodle permers than they did with sonic youth, pixies, soundgarden, janes addiction - i.e. the bands who broke the stifling 80s rock mold and paved the way for nirvana. back in 1989 g n'r they were just another LA hair metal band, poison with better tunes and bigger record sales... they played duets with elton john for fucks sake and made video with girls in wedding dresses standing in the desert - how could this band be less cool if they tried?

Go put on your Sigur Rós and Dashboard Confessional and shut the fuck up.

THRILLHO
11-27-2002, 02:53 PM
haha. what's next, the rolling stones suck because they weren't alternative? pull the stick out of yer ass.

need i remind you the today video had a japanese chick in drag in the desert with a wedding dress?

Travis Meekz
11-27-2002, 03:01 PM
Roses were fucking amazing untill the Spagetti incident. Anything involving that or anything since that should be laughed and and not taken seriously. I had many chances to see them in pittsburgh last friday and I laughed everytime people asked me to go. They are dead, they shouldn't be touring, axl is a prick, the band has been dead for many years. Respect and enjoy the good music they put out before spagetti, laugh at everything afterwards

Lie
11-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by mojo
they were never one of "our" bands

o_0

Elvis The Fat Years
11-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Lie

o_0

psst...u know...the homosexuals.

THRILLHO
11-27-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Travis Meeks
Roses were fucking amazing untill the Spagetti incident. Anything involving that or anything since that should be laughed and and not taken seriously. I had many chances to see them in pittsburgh last friday and I laughed everytime people asked me to go. They are dead, they shouldn't be touring, axl is a prick, the band has been dead for many years. Respect and enjoy the good music they put out before spagetti, laugh at everything afterwards

that perfectly sums up my opinion on them.
even the part about seeing them.

Smiley33
11-27-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Graveflower
Seriously an absolutely terrible band. Axl Rose is one of the worst humans ever.

Robeuto
11-28-2002, 03:23 PM
[they were never one of "our" bands, they always had more in common with the spandex-clad poodle permers than they did with sonic youth, pixies, soundgarden, janes addiction - i.e. the bands who broke the stifling 80s rock mold and paved the way for nirvana. back in 1989 g n'r they were just another LA hair metal band, poison with better tunes and bigger record sales... they played duets with elton john for fucks sake and made video with girls in wedding dresses standing in the desert - how could this band be less cool if they tried? [/B][/QUOTE]

For people whom always seem to always be concerned with "the Music" and nothing else, you've pretty much contradicted every one of your bullshit ideals about indie music. I mean you probably attack boy bands and pop singers for getting where they are on image alone and having no musical skills. Yet you freely admitted, that because of they a way a certain band looks or what images their videos contain (I thought they were just silly marketing tools in your eyes) they are suddenly cool or not.
WHAT About the MUSIC MANNNN ???????

IM not a big GNR fan but I think AFD is a great rock and roll record, and you'd be a fool to believe that that soundgarden has more in common musically with the pixies, JA OR Sonic youth than they do with guns and roses. Also (im not sure how old you are) but have you seen an early pic of gnr and soundgarden?, they look like the fucken same band.
Finally wasn't appetite for destruction, all about how much gnr hated all the hair metal of the 80's??

I really not attacking you personally, it just gives me the shits that people still follow the Cobain rulebook on what bands to like
and what not to.

scouse_dave
11-28-2002, 03:26 PM
gnr

Mooney
11-28-2002, 04:12 PM
i really enjoy use your illusion 2. the end.

*theory*
11-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Duff Mcgragen (sp?), Izzy Stradlin, Slash, Steven Adler and Axl Rose were the biggest and best band in the world, warts and all, for mmmmm, maybe 2 years. It's fair game to rip what they're doing now, but dont re-write history because you hate 'em. They pulverized every band in their path for a good while and that's because they fucking flat-out kicked ass promoting every bad rock-n-roll stereotype there was and the public didnt want them any other way.

Kumar Littlejeans
11-28-2002, 06:26 PM
Roses were fucking amazing untill the Spagetti incident.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc500/c537/c5378395735.jpg

Cactuar
11-28-2002, 07:23 PM
Guns n roses fucking suck. Axl rose has such a horrible, horrible voice, and the vast majority of lead guitar found within their songs is rampant wankery. They are shit.

lucky_13
11-28-2002, 08:23 PM
are you people kidding me? have you actually listened to guns n roses? the songs are brilliantly written. yeah axl is jackass but he's a fucking icon. but can you find any better hard rock songs from the 80s/early 90s? don't give me this indie pretentious bullshit. they were so fucking cool. maybe you kids are too young to recognize. if i had to choose between seeing the pixies back in the day or gnr i would pick gnr. :)

oh and mojo do you know how talented elton john is? he's been around for 30 years and is still amazing. ego or not.

Fattening Ass
11-28-2002, 08:28 PM
<font color=018f81><3 G n'R too

Robeuto
11-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Cactuar
Guns n roses fucking suck. Axl rose has such a horrible, horrible voice, and the vast majority of lead guitar found within their songs is rampant wankery. They are shit.

I really don't think the gutair solos are wankery like van halen. their actually pretty much in proportion with in the context of most the songs. Considering gnr play a classic style of rock and roll (and adding a little mixture of punk and metal) gutair solos were always gonna feature, and i actually think slash is an excellent player. If you think their wankery you better also ******* the rolling stones, led zep and ac/dc to your list, cause their the main infulences on gnr music, but you propbably won't cause liking those bands is cool cause there retro.

Also I'd rather listen guns and roses any day over the datuns, d4 or any other shitty garage band .

rubber
11-29-2002, 01:17 AM
Appetite for Destruction was THE album that broke the hairband mold. It was the first album that really ended the glam band era. Most of the songs on AFD and Illusions hold their own against any rock song today. Fairly timeless stuff.... and you can't say that about most of the shit in 1988. And ya, Axl is an ass.

c

shaniqua
11-29-2002, 01:48 AM
i am one = welcome 2 teh jungle.

severin
11-29-2002, 10:54 AM
i liked them in the early 90's. i saw them live once in 93 or 94 and it was a great show. and afd and uyi1+2 are are in the best "mainstream"-rock albums of the 90's. that what axl is now doing is like raping a corpse is out of the question.

wangcomputers
11-29-2002, 03:44 PM

scouse_dave
11-29-2002, 03:50 PM
ditto

except i'd still like to see them live...i never got a chance to see them at their peak

and i know they won't be the same, blah blah blah, but i don't care...

MstrGhost
11-29-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by severin

what axl is now doing is like raping a corpse

couldn't say it better.
I suppose in 20 years when billy corgan will have another band doing some music that doesn't appeal to the next generations (in case it's something not that genious) they'll think the same... even if older fans will still listen to it.

sawdust restaurants
11-30-2002, 01:16 AM
They are cock-rock, and Axl is a tool, but Appetite for Destruction (what a cheesy name in and of itself) is still a great metal album, for the most part. Anybody insisting otherwise is falling victim to revisionist history.

scouse_dave
11-30-2002, 08:58 AM
AFD is not 'metal'

Tired of "Me"
12-03-2002, 04:01 PM
I've always hated them and always will.

slunky_munky
12-04-2002, 09:02 AM
GnR are one of the greatest bands to ever walk the earth. If you think otherwise you're probably letting your youth rape your common sense.