View Full Version : Obesity is as much of a disease as Anorexia and Bulimia.

barden
09-17-2004, 01:35 AM
Obesity and its co-morbid disorders are leading causes of morbidity and premature mortality in developed countries. The initial evaluation of the obese patient *******s excluding secondary causes of weight gain and identification of co-morbid disorders such as hypertension, diabetes mellitus, heart disease and sleep apnoea.

Classification of Obesity

The data from the second National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES 11) were used to define obesity as:

BMI (body mass index): >27.3kg/m2 in females
>27.8kg/m2 in males

However there is increasing risk of co-morbid conditions including hypertension, diabetes and CVD in people with BMI higher than that defined for normal weight persons (BMI of 18.5 to 25kg/m2 ). In addition, distribution of fat (central obesity) is also thought to be more closely related to increased risk of co-morbid conditions especially in certain population groups (Asians). Hence the measurement of Waist to Hip Ratio or Abdominal Circumference are often used as indices of abnormal fat distribution.

Abdominal Circumference: >88 centimetres in females
>102centimetres in males

This implies that a person might still be at risk even if BMI is within acceptable levels but fat distribution is abnormal.

severin
09-17-2004, 02:28 AM
my bmi is 31. at my worst my bmi was 38. the 31 brings me to the verge of stepping out of adipositas into "normal" overweight.

severin
09-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by severin
my bmi is 31. at my worst my bmi was 38. the 31 brings me to the verge of stepping out of adipositas into "normal" overweight. oh and i don't think that a person with a bmi of 27 should actually be called obese.

barden
09-17-2004, 02:32 AM
oh and i don't think that a person with a bmi of 27 should actually be called obese.

I donít really know much about it, to be honest.

I was making the thread, and thought it was a nice coincidence that the newsletter I was working on at the very moment was about ĎThe Obese Patientí.

So I posted the first section of it. But thatís a medical definition, yo.

alexthestampede
09-17-2004, 02:34 AM
we all know bmi is flawed we all read about shaqs bmi and all that but its true being a fatass is bad for you i dont know how you could argue with that.. all u have to do is excersize a little and u can stay in shape ppl who are fat have themselves to blame we should ban them from eating every other day of the week and give their neighbors the right to enforce the law

jenn
09-17-2004, 07:38 AM
I still don't think that BMI really tells us anything. On that rubric, many professional athletes would be considered "obese". I admit that there are many people on this planet who live a sedentary lifestyle- but with that, I also know that not all overweight people do that.

Take me for example, I get up at 6am every single morning- and I go to the gym for an hour (which gives me time to shower and get to class on time). I've been doing this for 3 years. In the evenings, I go back to the gym around 5:30pm (on days I don't have late classes) and I take a yoga class. Saturday morning is my kickboxing class... Sundays, I go running with my husband. Or bikeriding. Or hiking...something out-doors. Yes, even in the rain. Yes, even in the snow.

I make it a point to eat healthy. I drink tea in the mornings, and normally eat a half cup of Stoneyfield Farms (organic) Banilla yogurt every morning with some granola in there.
For lunch, I got addicted to Au Bon Pain soup and a small salad with oil and vinegar.
And for dinner, at least half of my meal is colorful veggies, the other two quarters are a lean meat (like chicken or fish) and a carbo (like rice or couscous).

I don't snack inbetween. I don't eat chips, or cookies. I drink around a half gallon of water a day. If I feel the need for something salty, I take a handfull of pretzels. Something sweet, a tablespoon of icecream.

If I told you that I do all of these things every day...you'd think that I'd be a really fit-looking person. But the fact is, I'm not. If you looked at my family though, that wouldn't surprise you. They're all heavy too. Active, and heavy. In fact, I'm the smallest one in my family (with the exception of my mother who was anorexic for a long time). The average death-age in my family is around 92 years old...unless you smoke.

My point is, and a lot of people in the medical profession are starting to understand this: being fat isn't what kills you. Being stationary kills you... if heavy people decided to get up and excersise (even lo-grade, 20 minutes a day working up to 1 hour) they wouldn't be at as high of a risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc, etc... but with excersise and propper diet, many heavy people (like myself) will never cease to be heavy. Which is why it shouldn't be based on looks alone.

barden
09-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Iím sorry to be a dick, but itís just science, and not very complicated:

Use more calories then you consume, and you loose weight.

You body has a specific amount. Your body, in various conditions, needs to use a specific amount. If you get it right and use more then you consume, you loose weight.

Itís justÖ a fact.

severin
09-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by ^Agony_Imp^

You body has a specific amount. Your body, in various conditions, needs to use a specific amount. If you get it right and use more then you consume, you loose weight.

Itís justÖ a fact. actually that's not exactly right. you have to use more calories than your body generates from the food you eat. which heavily depends on how good your pancreas works

barden
09-17-2004, 08:05 AM
actually that's not exactly right. you have to use more calories than your body generates from the food you eat. which heavily depends on how good your pancreas works

But then, adjust to suit your pancreas!

What a weird sentence.

Heh.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Im such a fat fuck, i want to die.

severin
09-17-2004, 08:10 AM

But then, adjust to suit your pancreas!

What a weird sentence.

Heh. the diet i still maintain actually does exactly that. i've lost nearly 25 kg with it..and i didn't even start to work out or do sport yet

barden
09-17-2004, 08:14 AM
the diet i still maintain actually does exactly that. i've lost nearly 25 kg with it..and i didn't even start to work out or do sport yet

Thatís pretty fucking cool.

severin
09-17-2004, 08:21 AM

Thatís pretty fucking cool. yeah, i think so too

GlasgowKiss
09-17-2004, 08:23 AM
People i think the real disease is hate.

:love:

jenn
09-17-2004, 08:23 AM

Itís justÖ a fact.

But what if the overall goal *isn't* to lose weight? What if the overall goal is to be comfortable with oneself and be healthy? It seems to offend so many people that it's possible to be overweight and not hate yourself for it. What if I like it? What if I know that I'm healthy, and I'm happy juse the way I am? Who fucking cares if I don't fit some mold of how I'm supposed to be as dictated by a society run by rich, fat, white men?

barden
09-17-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by melancholia

But what if the overall goal *isn't* to lose weight? What if the overall goal is to be comfortable with oneself and be healthy? It seems to offend so many people that it's possible to be overweight and not hate yourself for it. What if I like it? What if I know that I'm healthy, and I'm happy juse the way I am? Who fucking cares if I don't fit some mold of how I'm supposed to be as dictated by a society run by rich, fat, white men?

Hey, I didnít say fat, I said obese.

There is a clear definition.

Live your life like you want.

Fat is whatever, obese is unhealthy.

Maybe I should have said: STOP MAKING EXCUSES, FAT ASS, I SEE THE RESULTS ON THE BEFORE / AFTER PICTURES ON THE TV! WHAT MAKES YOU SO SPECIAL THAT YOU DONíT WANT TO LOSE THE WEIGHT, EH? OH YEAH, THATíS RIGHT, YOUíRE JUSTIFYING IT CAUSE YOU CANT BE BOTHERED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, WITH YOUR FANCY SMANCY EXCUSES!

Yeah, but I didnít.

Noooooooow, Iím going home.

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 09:02 AM
For your info, I didn't read this thread, but:

Obesity is not a fucking disease. It's caused by the laziness of the last few generations and the introduction of fast food. It's caused by jobs made easier through technology, and the lack of any motivation on most people's parts to get out and excersize.

There are diseases that <i>cause</i> obesity.... but obesity in itself is not a disease. That's pure and utter bullshit put out by the scientific community for people to feel better about themselves when really they're a) lazy fatasses unwilling to put down the cheeseburger to go to the gym for an hour a day or b) someone with a disease that causes obesity, which sucks, but 9 times out of 10 is not the case. Especially not in fat-ass America.

P.S. Anorexia and Bullemia aren't diseases either. They're mental disorders.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser

Obesity is not a fucking disease. It's caused by the laziness of the last few generations and the introduction of fast food. It's caused by jobs made easier through technology, and the lack of any motivation on most people's parts to get out and excersize.

There are diseases that <i>cause</i> obesity.... but obesity in itself is not a disease. That's pure and utter bullshit put out by the scientific community for people to feel better about themselves when really they're a) lazy fatasses unwilling to put down the cheeseburger to go to the gym for an hour a day or b) someone with a disease that causes obesity, which sucks, but 9 times out of 10 is not the case. Especially not in fat-ass America.

P.S. Anorexia and Bullemia aren't diseases either. They're mental disorders.

I sort of agree however, obesity is more like a way of life...its forced onto people. I mean everyone has to make a living and jobs these days place people into sedentary or barely moving positions for 8+ hours a day. Its a sad situation overall that the production of a nation is valued more than the quality of life of those that build it. I mean we have a great quality of life but I think that sometimes we dont stop to think about how are jobs are really destroying a chance at a better way of life.

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Slacker

I sort of agree however, obesity is more like a way of life...its forced onto people. I mean everyone has to make a living and jobs these days place people into sedentary or barely moving positions for 8+ hours a day. Its a sad situation overall that the production of a nation is valued more than the quality of life of those that build it. I mean we have a great quality of life but I think that sometimes we dont stop to think about how are jobs are really destroying a chance at a better way of life. Bullshit it's forced on people. 1 hour a day of walking or running or going to the gym isn't going to hurt anyway. Hell, even 30 minutes a day would make a difference. And do you know how much cholesterol and fat is cut out of the diet when you stop eating fast food? Holy shit!

The other problem: People feeding their small children the same shit we eat: french fries, burgers, shakes, etc.... way to give the kid a great head start! Make him chunky and picked on in school!

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Let me also clarify: It is possible to be healthy but look slightly fluffy. I just recently had a physical, and was told my cholesterol was outstanding and that I was in great shape. It just depends on the body type. Not everyone looks like a thin supermodel.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Bullshit it's forced on people. 1 hour a day of walking or running or going to the gym isn't going to hurt anyway. Hell, even 30 minutes a day would make a difference. And do you know how much cholesterol and fat is cut out of the diet when you stop eating fast food? Holy shit!

The other problem: People feeding their small children the same shit we eat: french fries, burgers, shakes, etc.... way to give the kid a great head start! Make him chunky and picked on in school!

you are pretty hardcore about fat people, wow

anyway though, its a lot harder than you think. putting in a full day to come home to screaming kids and other various problems takes it out of a person.

Varien
09-17-2004, 10:10 AM
the diet i still maintain actually does exactly that. i've lost nearly 25 kg with it..and i didn't even start to work out or do sport yet

Elaborate :confused:

jenn
09-17-2004, 10:22 AM

But, I'm "obese" by the government standards...and I never EVER eat fast food- EVER. I eat healthier than every single thin person I know (even Eric- who is uber skinny and eats like a cow) And since I'm a student, I walk around campus all day...and I excersize every day, Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes more than two hours a day.

I plan on walking the ENTIRE Adirondak Train within the next 2 years, and I'm STILL fat. I've been tested for every single disease under the sun because my doctors don't understand how I've been so active, how I've been so nutritionally sound and why I am still heavy... but they've all come up with nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me. My blood pressure and heart rate and cholesterol are all perfectly normal... I'm not diabetic, or lazy...and I'm not sick. But I am STILL heavy.

They say it's genetic. I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong- one of the reasons I hate most other fat people is because they deserve it. They eat like pigs, they fill themselves up with fast food and fried foods (oh yeah, I can't eat anything fried either- it makes me sick), they scarf down butter (which I don't eat) and make me wonder how they don't get gout.... and they do NOTHING. I hate being compared to those people. I wish some medical person would do a study on people like me.

I can't lose weight unless I starve myself. When I had mono, I couldn't eat anything but tea and clear broth. Even a bit of honey in my tea burned too much...that was the only time I've been able to lose weight, and my doctors were so worried about it (because my blood pressure dropped) that they started giving me IVs of glucose. The only thing I can think of that might have fucked my system up so much is the Prenisone I was given as a kid for my allergies...and I wasn't breastfed. I don't know.

I haven't been diagnosed with any disease that's making

SuckSuckStyle
09-17-2004, 10:24 AM
my metabolism rulez

Mariner
09-17-2004, 10:26 AM

anyway though, its a lot harder than you think. putting in a full day to come home to screaming kids and other various problems takes it out of a person.

uh, and if people gave it a shot, they'd realize that physical activity/exercise puts "it" back "in".

SuckSuckStyle
09-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Mariner

uh, and if people gave it a shot, they'd realize that physical activity/exercise puts "it" back "in".

yeah. after the first day you'll come home and crash becaus your body will be tired. but even on the second day you'll have noticably more energy and so on and so on. then on days that you dont put some time in to work out, you feel like a slob.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 10:32 AM

I know what you are saying, but I still hold that its not as easy for some people as it is for others

Mariner
09-17-2004, 10:52 AM

I know what you are saying, but I still hold that its not as easy for some people as it is for others

meh, i think everyone has the same ability to be lazy, and have the same level of difficulty to face in getting over laziness. what makes the difference is who is smart enough to use their brain, not listen to their emotions, and force themselves to get over the initial speed bump and make activity/exercise a habit. once it's a habit, you're right, it's easier to just do it since it's part of your lifestyle. but getting to the habit stage is way more difficult than just sitting around and watching tv instead.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 12:03 PM

meh, i think everyone has the same ability to be lazy, and have the same level of difficulty to face in getting over laziness. what makes the difference is who is smart enough to use their brain, not listen to their emotions, and force themselves to get over the initial speed bump and make activity/exercise a habit. once it's a habit, you're right, it's easier to just do it since it's part of your lifestyle. but getting to the habit stage is way more difficult than just sitting around and watching tv instead.

Why does life have to be such a bitch?!

Slacker
09-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

sweet, beautiful loser handled this already

that was unexpected

it's even funnier when people call this stuff a disease than when they call alcoholism and drug addictions 'diseases'

its all a disease because its not your fault!

ProgressChrome
09-17-2004, 12:14 PM
I disagree as well that obesity is a disease. In 99.9% of cases, its laziness and a lack of a motivation to eat well and exercise.

I think its really unfortunate people are feeding their kids fast food constantly. The child obesity rate has shot up over the past 10 years and that is really sad. Kids of all people should not be obese.
Also, have you noticed how kids menus at restaurants always have the worst selections nutritionally? Yah, lets feed our kids breaded chicken fingers, grilled cheese, or pizza constantly, sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes:

jenn
09-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ProgressChrome
I disagree as well that obesity is a disease. In 99.9% of cases, its laziness and a lack of a motivation to eat well and exercise.

I think its really unfortunate people are feeding their kids fast food constantly. The child obesity rate has shot up over the past 10 years and that is really sad. Kids of all people should not be obese.
Also, have you noticed how kids menus at restaurants always have the worst selections nutritionally? Yah, lets feed our kids breaded chicken fingers, grilled cheese, or pizza constantly, sounds like a great idea. :rolleyes:

I hate how parents have to "hide" veggies from their kids. Like, covering brocolli with cheese or putting peas in with alfredo sauce... that completely defeats the purpose of having your kids learn to eat healthy. Just fucking stick steamed veggies in front of them and say "you HAVE to eat these or else I'm cancelling Christmas". It's much more productive, adn you don't end up with porkchops for kids until they're teenagers and can make their own decisions (unless they're like me and chubby anyway).

ProgressChrome
09-17-2004, 12:41 PM

I hate how parents have to "hide" veggies from their kids. Like, covering brocolli with cheese or putting peas in with alfredo sauce... that completely defeats the purpose of having your kids learn to eat healthy. Just fucking stick steamed veggies in front of them and say "you HAVE to eat these or else I'm cancelling Christmas". It's much more productive, adn you don't end up with porkchops for kids until they're teenagers and can make their own decisions (unless they're like me and chubby anyway).

you really need to get them eating all the good veggies at the earliest age possible... start off with making it into a mush and then eventually having them eat it whole... the earlier the better in my opinion.

Ugly
09-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by GlasgowKiss
People i think the real disease is hate.

:love:

http://woah.alamak.com/i/LOL2.gif

We could all learn a little bit from the above statement.

anyone want a hug?

mirrar
09-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Bullshit it's forced on people. 1 hour a day of walking or running or going to the gym isn't going to hurt anyway. Hell, even 30 minutes a day would make a difference. And do you know how much cholesterol and fat is cut out of the diet when you stop eating fast food? Holy shit!i think a major reason behind the epidemic of overweightness in america is because of the combating pressures forced on people. one side said produce produce PRODUCE, work your ass off in your little office all day so that you can have the big tv and the nice car and all those other luxuries that LET you sit on your ass in whatever free time you have left. the other says nooo you have to be skinny like a supermodel so that you'll have sex appeal! i think a lot of people realize how impossible this is, so they just keep overconsuming and gaining all around.

jenn
09-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
regardless, it would be nice if the majority of people would treat fat dudes like they were human beings

sigh

i agree.

Slacker
09-17-2004, 03:23 PM
in america fat is the new skinny

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 04:13 PM

you are pretty hardcore about fat people, wow

anyway though, its a lot harder than you think. putting in a full day to come home to screaming kids and other various problems takes it out of a person. My mom used to work two jobs more than 10 hours a day and still got on a treadmill for an hour to lose weight, and she ended up taking off like 20 or 30 lbs just from excersizing and changing her eating habits.

But I'm mainly talking about OBESE people. You know, you don't just wake up 500 lbs. You get there gradually. (By "gradually" eating 30 cheeseburgers a day)

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 04:15 PM

But, I'm "obese" by the government standards...and I never EVER eat fast food- EVER. I eat healthier than every single thin person I know (even Eric- who is uber skinny and eats like a cow) And since I'm a student, I walk around campus all day...and I excersize every day, Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes more than two hours a day.

I plan on walking the ENTIRE Adirondak Train within the next 2 years, and I'm STILL fat. I've been tested for every single disease under the sun because my doctors don't understand how I've been so active, how I've been so nutritionally sound and why I am still heavy... but they've all come up with nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me. My blood pressure and heart rate and cholesterol are all perfectly normal... I'm not diabetic, or lazy...and I'm not sick. But I am STILL heavy.

They say it's genetic. I tend to agree. Don't get me wrong- one of the reasons I hate most other fat people is because they deserve it. They eat like pigs, they fill themselves up with fast food and fried foods (oh yeah, I can't eat anything fried either- it makes me sick), they scarf down butter (which I don't eat) and make me wonder how they don't get gout.... and they do NOTHING. I hate being compared to those people. I wish some medical person would do a study on people like me.

I can't lose weight unless I starve myself. When I had mono, I couldn't eat anything but tea and clear broth. Even a bit of honey in my tea burned too much...that was the only time I've been able to lose weight, and my doctors were so worried about it (because my blood pressure dropped) that they started giving me IVs of glucose. The only thing I can think of that might have fucked my system up so much is the Prenisone I was given as a kid for my allergies...and I wasn't breastfed. I don't know.

I haven't been diagnosed with any disease that's making

No... you're <i>overweight</i> by government standards.
And so am I, so as long as we're healthy and in shape, it's all good. I mean shit, I was <i>forced</i> to do hardcore exercise for 5 years, and I still have a larger frame than what's considered "normal". Some people are just naturally fluffy, and from seeing pics of you, I certainly wouldn't say you looked unhealthy.

But you don't get <i>obese</i> by eating healthy and exercising. You don't just wake up in the morning and go "Oh shit, I gained 500 lbs!!" You show me and obese person who exercises and eats healthy everyday that doesn't have a medical disorder, and I'll take back my words, but otherwise...

BeautifulLoser
09-17-2004, 04:17 PM

its all a disease because its not your fault! THIS IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM. (I know you were making a joke, but this brings up the next point...)

People these days don't want to take responsibility for ANYTHING. This is the generation of "it's not my fault". I fucking hate that. "I don't know what happened, I woke up and I was ginormous!!!"

scouse_dave
09-18-2004, 05:10 AM
i'm not directing this comment at anyone directly in the thread, but i hate the attitude of "OMG, it's so unfair - i go running/exercise all the time and i still can't lose weight"....then they'll come home and eat a 1000kcal dinner or snack on 'chips' all day long.

on the grand scheme of things, exercise doesn't make you lose weight, it mainly tones/builds muscle/improves cardio.

eating less causes you to lose weight.

===example===
according to:
http://www.thecolumn.org/exercise-calories.asp

sitting and playing cards uses 114 kcal/hour
playing basketball uses 450 kcal/hour

so say if you decided to turn down a game of cards to go and 'be good' by exercising for an hour and playing basketball, you'd only actually burn an extra 336 kcals. you can consume 1500 kcals in one meal at mcdonalds....it's a drop in the ocean. exercise should only be used in conjunction with a healthy diet.

BeautifulLoser
09-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by scouse_dave
...exercise should only be used in conjunction with a healthy diet. ...which is basically what melonchollia and I've been saying.

It's possible to have a healthy diet and exercise regularly but still be "fluffy". It is not possible to do so and be "obese".

jenn
09-18-2004, 12:15 PM

No... you're <i>overweight</i> by government standards.
And so am I, so as long as we're healthy and in shape, it's all good. I mean shit, I was <i>forced</i> to do hardcore exercise for 5 years, and I still have a larger frame than what's considered "normal". Some people are just naturally fluffy, and from seeing pics of you, I certainly wouldn't say you looked unhealthy.

But you don't get <i>obese</i> by eating healthy and exercising. You don't just wake up in the morning and go "Oh shit, I gained 500 lbs!!" You show me and obese person who exercises and eats healthy everyday that doesn't have a medical disorder, and I'll take back my words, but otherwise...

No, I really am obese by government standards. Not overweight. I swear.

LittleWing
09-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Would you get angry at me if I said...oh...stop eating?

jenn
09-18-2004, 12:19 PM
I really believe that there's been a lot of pressure by the insurance companies to lower the bar, so to speak on what is and what is not considered to be obese. What was obesity to our parents is far from what it is today.

Personally, I don't think they're lowering it because of new medical findings: I think they're lowering it because they get more money from life insurance premiums. Take me for example... Like I've been saying- I'm "fluffy" and I'm damn healthy, but according to the government- I border on "obese" strictly because of my weight. No one takes into account lean muscle, etc, etc.

Being 500lbs is hard to do. Being 180-190 isn't hard to do. Being 200 isn't hard to do either. But being any of those things, and being 5 foot 5 and a female: well, that's a different story. Now, I fall in the first category.... and according to the government- I'm obese. That's fucked up.

jenn
09-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by LittleWing
Would you get angry at me if I said...oh...stop eating?

Would you get angry at me if I said....READ THE FUCKING THREAD, IDIOT?

BeautifulLoser
09-18-2004, 12:24 PM

No, I really am obese by government standards. Not overweight. I swear. Dude, you weigh the same if not less than me....

edit: actually, I think you're shorter than me... but you have the same build!!

What is the government's idea of obese?!

ImplodingVoices
09-18-2004, 01:45 PM
i love fat people. my girlfriend has a little meat on her i think its cute. america is the fattest contry in the world but you have gotta respect people like melancholia who exercise and diet a hell of lot more than ninety percent of skinny people. and i think the governemnts idea for obesity is a little off. im 6'2" and 210 pounds and im considered overweight. i just hate when fat people who sit on their ass all day complain about being fat.