View Full Version : i want a career

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 10:40 PM
right now.

i'll do 60-hr weeks, i don't care. i want something substantial. i want to take over the planet (ok, so i'll put in weekends). i want 12 PhDs.

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
I don't want a career anymore.

Actually if all goes according to plan within 3 years I will simply have a hobby that pays me.

Mariner
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
PhD =does not necessarily= career. in fact, the opposite is quite often the case.

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Mariner
PhD =does not necessarily= career. in fact, the opposite is quite often the case.

i know that. i just want everything.

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
I don't want a career anymore.

Actually if all goes according to plan within 3 years I will simply have a hobby that pays me.

what exactly do you do again?

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

what exactly do you do again? Network Engineer.

However I plan on dumping the entire technology thing within 3 or 4 years.

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Network Engineer.

However I plan on dumping the entire technology thing within 3 or 4 years.

so what is your hobby?

spa ced
09-15-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't think I want another job any time soon. I think I just want to wait for a career.

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2004, 10:52 PM

so what is your hobby? I haven't posted much about my plans.. nor do I really want to. However, I was a film major in college, and plan to put some of that to work.

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 10:53 PM
I haven't posted much about my plans.. nor do I really want to. However, I was a film major in college, and plan to put some of that to work.

YOU=MYSTERIOUS!

meow
09-15-2004, 11:00 PM
i never want a career

<haha jaykay>

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by meow
i never want a career

<haha jaykay>

yeah, you're right.

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2004, 11:01 PM

YOU=MYSTERIOUS! Nah, it's the type of thing that the people I know in real life know about, but it's just not the type of thing I go into on here. Come out and visit and I'll tell you all about it.

Maybe if I still post here in 3 years and things are progressing I'll give some details.

pink_ribbon_scars
09-15-2004, 11:03 PM
I've been seriously thinking about careers, and I'm pretty disgusted. I just have no idea what I want to do, and you need to have a decent idea upon applying to graduate school. Ahhh! But I don't care too much, not quite yet anyway.

DeadSwan
09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Nah, it's the type of thing that the people I know in real life know about, but it's just not the type of thing I go into on here. Come out and visit and I'll tell you all about it.

that is a hot proposition.

but anyway, i understand. i feel like an asshole when i talk about long-range plans with anyone but those close to me, and even then it's hard.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 11:06 PM
I haven't posted much about my plans.. nor do I really want to. However, I was a film major in college, and plan to put some of that to work.

nice.

ammy
09-16-2004, 12:39 AM
i have one.. or once i graduate i will.. it terrifies me. i don't want a carreer yet! shit.

wHATcOLOR
09-16-2004, 12:48 AM
i just put my tongue inside my little can of pomade and it tasted like soap!!!

alexthestampede
09-16-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Mariner

he means a real PhD like in chemical engineering not some bullshit one in a nothing subject

if you cant find a job call me and well rob a bank together

wHATcOLOR
09-16-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by alexthestampede

he means a real PhD like in chemical engineering not some bullshit one in a nothing subject

oh cool i didn't really know what he meant before you typed that. thanks!

:erm:

Affectation
09-16-2004, 02:57 AM
right now.

i'll do 60-hr weeks, i don't care. i want something substantial. i want to take over the planet (ok, so i'll put in weekends). i want 12 PhDs. Then get one. Fuck.

spring
09-16-2004, 03:04 AM
by the end of this summer i've changed my plans so much. i'm quite happy though, even though it means that i've just thrown 8 months of work out the window. I realized I want a life, first of all, and that going head first into grad school wouldn't be such a good idea, especially since I really really really don't want to get a Masters in that subject anyway.

Also, working at the Research Centre and being absolutely stunned by this "motivational" speech my boss gave me at some point at the end of August made me realize I don't want a "career", I don't want recognition in journals or whatever, hell...the kind of research I would ever be able to do would not amount to anything useful in the grand scheme of things. So I decided I don't want a career, I want a 9-5 job and I want a life. I know it sounds boring or whatever, but I realized that once I get my act together (i.e. get healthy and find some balance in my life) I could really figure out something quite good, not just for myself, but for others too.

Karl Connor
09-16-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by spring
by the end of this summer i've changed my plans so much. i'm quite happy though, even though it means that i've just thrown 8 months of work out the window.

i think that's what being in your early twenties is all about. you can plan ahead when youre a kid but when you really hit adulthood that plan rarely pans out

Injektilo
09-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I really don't see what the rush is to have a career already at my age (23).
So many people give me a weird look when I tell them I have no idea what I'll do when I graduate, and I'll worry about a masters degree when i'm alot closer to 30.

Right now I just don't know what I want, so there's no sense in rushing into anything. Seriously, what is the rush anyway? I can't have a career when I'm 35?

Right now i have no kids, no wife, no mortgage, nothing tying me down to this area. I can take off for years at a time if i want to go and go live overseas or something, or go to a different city, or just move around every half year if I want to.

I wouldn't mind having a career... I just want to know what I want it in before I go looking for it.