View Full Version : what can brown do for you

3Marlon3Brando
09-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Dropout gives Brown $100 million

Wednesday, September 15, 2004 Posted: 8:45 PM EDT (0045 GMT)

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- A man who dropped out of Brown University decades ago because he couldn't pay the tuition has given the Ivy League college $100 million, its biggest gift ever, which he made by selling liquor.

The Providence, Rhode Island university said it will give the money to its neediest undergraduate students as scholarships, eliminating the need for loans.

Sidney Frank, who built an importing business that distributes liquor, attended Brown more than 60 years ago but could not afford to earn a four-year degree.

Since then he has made a fortune importing drinks like Jaegermeister -- a green, medicinal-tasting German liqueur popular among college students.

Frank said in a statement he wants to help people who cannot afford to attend the 240-year-old private university. Brown charges about $31,000 a year for tuition and fees and $8,000 for room and board.

The neediest students now get financial aid but still borrow on average between $9,000 and $15,000 during their four years, the university said.

Earlier this year, Frank made a $20 million gift to the university's building fund.

meow
09-15-2004, 09:27 PM
thats cool

meow
09-15-2004, 09:27 PM
i thought this post would be about anal sex

GlasgowKiss
09-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Id love to do something great like this. But yeah, i require to have at least 20 million in the bank at all times to fund my private army. When i get excess cash ill donate.

sleeper
09-15-2004, 09:30 PM
if i was rich id do stuff exactly like that. or stuff like dave eggers does. instead of doing something stupid like getting a ferrari or whatever, why not give that money to someone who can put good use to it.

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2004, 09:38 PM
And people scoffed when I dropped out of school and became a binge drinker

pink_ribbon_scars
09-15-2004, 10:47 PM
my college roommate and i joked that we would put free Ben & Jerry's ice cream in the student center if we struck it rich. i wonder if people do stuff like that?

that's really cool of that guy.

i also liked how the writer subtly implied that college students have raised this money by buying jaegermeister.

noir cat
09-15-2004, 11:12 PM
While that's all a very nice and charitable gesture, I could have sworn there are people starving in the world and unable to worry about such things like education...? And without medical and have very many options in life?

Toby
09-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by meow
i thought this post would be about anal sex

noir cat
09-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by meow
i thought this post would be about anal sex I thought it was going to be about the color brown or poop, my mind is in the gutter. :-/

crescentfresh
09-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 3Marlon3Brando

Jaegermeister -- a green, medicinal-tasting German liqueur popular among college students.

:rofl:

What a definition!

Toby
09-15-2004, 11:16 PM
it tastes more like black licorice! BUT I LOVE JAGER ANWAYS!

sleeper
09-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by noir cat
While that's all a very nice and charitable gesture, I could have sworn there are people starving in the world and unable to worry about such things like education...? And without medical and have very many options in life?

but you can always do that. you can always find something "more" deserving. theres always an argument to be made. you just got to donate to what you believe.

if i was rich id sponsor outsider art and almost any open source project. id like to payroll people who volunteer themselves for certain things. if you start paying people whove already volunteered their time and effort towards a project you know theyre deserving and actually care. nobody cares anymore