View Full Version : i think i want to start playing Magic.

Isle
09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
The Gathering. :rofl:

i love that fantasy crap.

i hope i get this one:

http://www.misetings.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/DarksteelColosossussus.jpg

GlasgowKiss
09-15-2004, 10:15 AM
www.goatse.cx (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/wh40kdawnofwar/index.html?q=dawn+of+war)

ProgressChrome
09-15-2004, 11:08 AM
magic rules, i have that card.
try buying a starter deck, its a good way to get started without spending much money.
play it for a while and see how you like it, then you can get into building your own decks.

Isle
09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ProgressChrome
magic rules, i have that card.
try buying a starter deck, its a good way to get started without spending much money.
play it for a while and see how you like it, then you can get into building your own decks.

thanks. so that is a real card?:erm what's the point of having a card that beats absolutely every other card?

GlasgowKiss
09-15-2004, 11:21 AM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/919355_20040827_screen004.jpg

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 11:36 AM
that's right you guys wanna play magic. thumbs up for the next set too: it's Japanese inspired.

wondercunt
09-15-2004, 11:48 AM
i like this thread. no one ever gives us card mages any respect.

Slacker
09-15-2004, 11:49 AM
card mages, lol

StillBecomingApart
09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Isle

thanks. so that is a real card?:erm what's the point of having a card that beats absolutely every other card?

You need 11 mana cards to summon that card. So, yeah, in play you'll summon that card AT LEAST on your 11th turn, if you are lucky. Meanwhile, your opponent could win. Or destroy your mana cards.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Slacker
card mages, lol

haha yeah what the fuck

who says card mages

Rider
09-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by StillBecomingApart

You need 11 mana cards to summon that card. So, yeah, in play you'll summon that card AT LEAST on your 11th turn, if you are lucky. Meanwhile, your opponent could win. Or destroy your mana cards.

Yep it's the type of card you will pretty much never see played.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 11:58 AM

You clearly don't understand the way magic works.

There are various artifacts in existence that allow you to have access to more mana quicker. With the right hand, you could easily get it out by the fifth or so turn.

Sammiches
I used to play it with my brother when I was like 10. It was really fun. I think I want to start learning how to play it as well.

StillBecomingApart
Originally posted by Rider

Yep it's the type of card you will pretty much never see played.

right!

StillBecomingApart
09-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Sehki

You clearly don't understand the way magic works.

There are various artifacts in existence that allow you to have access to more mana quicker. With the right hand, you could easily get it out by the fifth or so turn.

I only know basic Magic rules :(

Varien
09-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Jesus fucking christ what set is that? What a gay fucking creature...sure the casting cost is pretty high, but a polar kraken cost that much with a shitload of blue and it had a cumulative upkeep of "destroy 1 blue mana per turn" This is one of the two reasons i stopped playing magic...shitty fucking sets, and well...i'm 20 haha

ammy
09-15-2004, 12:02 PM
just because the card may get played doesn't mean you can't stop it in some way, silly silly people.

meow
09-15-2004, 12:03 PM
i'd like to learn to play!

Isle
09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by wondercunt
i like this thread. no one ever gives us card mages any respect.

i already am a card mage of sorts. i don't play Magic(yet), i never remember regular card games because i don't play them, but i can throw playing cards like you wouldn't believe. makes me sound like a little gay ninja wannabe somethingorother, but i am very good. i could cut someone 5-10 meters away. like affectation.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:05 PM

I only know basic Magic rules :(

Well now you know more. For each land you put out, there are hundreds of various creatures and spells that increase your mana capabilities.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ammy
just because the card may get played doesn't mean you can't stop it in some way, silly silly people.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/autocard.asp?name=condescend#

Rockin' Cherub
09-15-2004, 12:11 PM
i've watched people playing it a few times. looks like fun.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 12:17 PM
It is possible to get Darksteel Colossus out turn one. play a swamp, then play dark ritual. use one mana from dark ritual to play entomb. entomb puts darksteel colossus in your graveyard. then with the two remaining mana play exhume and it puts darksteel colossus into play. next turn beat their face in.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Super Cres
It is possible to get Darksteel Colossus out turn one. play a swamp, then play dark ritual. use one mana from dark ritual to play entomb. entomb puts darksteel colossus in your graveyard. then with the two remaining mana play exhume and it puts darksteel colossus into play. next turn beat their face in.

or that.

I hate people who look at cc and say "oh man that's 11 turns right there."

Varien
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ammy

I know that, but the sets are getting too ridiculous now, that card is way too powerful without any sort of setback, it's more and more difficult to have any kind of balance in the game without spending more and more money. Granted the older cards now cost a lot more, but i dunno, when i played the game was more balanced.

StillBecomingApart
09-15-2004, 12:18 PM
what does the http://www.wizards.com/images/Symbols/X_mana.gif means? ALL?

Varien
09-15-2004, 12:19 PM

or that.

I hate people who look at cc and say "oh man that's 11 turns right there."

:) and then disenchant it :D

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:22 PM
what does the http://www.wizards.com/images/Symbols/X_mana.gif means? ALL?

X is as much as you're willing to pay. 1, or 20. In the card I linked to, Condescend, however much you put into that X, the other player will have to tap to keep the card out.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Varien

:) and then disenchant it :D

and I condescend your counterspell for 12 mana, suck my dick.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Darksteel Colossus cannot be disenchanted, but you acn swords to plowshare it for 1 white mana. your opponent gains 11 life, but at least its not 11 damage to you.

StillBecomingApart
09-15-2004, 12:24 PM

X is as much as you're willing to pay. 1, or 20. In the card I linked to, Condescend, however much you put into that X, the other player will have to tap to keep the card out.

Cool.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Darksteel Colossus cannot be disenchanted, but you acn swords to plowshare it for 1 white mana. your opponent gains 11 life, but at least its not 11 damage to you.

Wow I didn't read the subtext. It should easily cost 13 colorless.

ammy
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM

there's also that awsome staff.. i can't remember the name right now, that counters any artifact.. neccesary when playing as white!

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 12:29 PM

It really doesn't matter how much it costs, 99% of the time that the card is played is not for it's mana cost.

ImplodingVoices
09-15-2004, 12:31 PM
kird ape is still the best card in magic i would send a pic but im lazy and i dont know how. anyways look it up on essentialmagic.com

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ImplodingVoices
kird ape is still the best card in magic i would send a pic but im lazy and i dont know how. anyways look it up on essentialmagic.com

Kird Ape is a good one drop, but if you play it on turn one its not going to be a 2/3 until turn two. In the new set there is a one drop on white which is a 2/2. For a turn one drop attacker/blocker I would take it over Kird Ape.

Isle
09-15-2004, 01:05 PM
i'm gonna save this thread for when i start playing. i don't know what the hell you're talking about yet, but it sounds sensible.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:05 PM
i'm gonna save this thread for when i start playing. i don't know what the hell you're talking about yet, but it sounds sensible.

Sunburst is where it's at.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 02:07 PM

Sunburst is where it's at.

Do you have a sunburst deck? I have more than enough cards for one but it just never seemed like that fun of a theme for a deck.

ProgressChrome
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM

yep, it is
it can't beat every other card... there is creature destruction that doesn't specifically target that creature that could destroy it, or a card like swords to ploughshares would also destroy it.
its not completely indestructible, although it is quite good if you can get it out.

ProgressChrome
09-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by meow

nice... more girls should really get into it.
its a fun game that a lot of people could enjoy i think.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:16 PM

Do you have a sunburst deck? I have more than enough cards for one but it just never seemed like that fun of a theme for a deck.

I love Sunburst. I just got back into magic a few weeks ago and my friends had (blech) bought some of the premade decks. I played with the Sunburst one and enjoyed myself. I want to make a Sunburst/Samurai deck but I don't know if it'll work out, we'll see when I get my hands on some CoK cards.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by meow

you just want to learn so you can play with me

teehee

Coen
09-15-2004, 02:25 PM

I love Sunburst. I just got back into magic a few weeks ago and my friends had (blech) bought some of the premade decks. I played with the Sunburst one and enjoyed myself. I want to make a Sunburst/Samurai deck but I don't know if it'll work out, we'll see when I get my hands on some CoK cards.

I play magic as well, but I don't know what a sunburst deck is?

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Coen

Easiest example is one of the premades:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/displaythemedeck.asp?set=5dn&decknum=4&lang=en

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Coen

Sunburst is the new mechanic out of Fifth Dawn which grants counters to an aritfact for each different colored mana used to cast it.

Coen
09-15-2004, 02:28 PM

Sunburst is the new mechanic out of Fifth Dawn which grants counters to an aritfact for each different colored mana used to cast it.

Ah, ok. Thank you :)

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 02:42 PM

Are you playing the deck without any modification? Or have you added anything to the deck? I'd like to make one but I don't know what colors to base it off. Of course green is the major mana producing color, but I don't want it to be a mono green/artifact deck.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:46 PM

Are you playing the deck without any modification? Or have you added anything to the deck? I'd like to make one but I don't know what colors to base it off. Of course green is the major mana producing color, but I don't want it to be a mono green/artifact deck.

well, I geared it specifically to combat some of my friends - I added a handful of slivers cause one of them had a sliver deck. I added some green spells because it's already basically a green/mono deck, but a handful of other cards that were not green - it has enough mana of the other colors to effectively get by. I think a Sunburst deck like that combined with some very tribal mechanics (i.e: samurai or slivers) could be very effective and fun. I just don't know how it'll pan out til I have some samurai cards, but it worked awesomely with the slivers. At any given point, I'd have some nice 5/5 or 4/4 artifact creatures out and a few healthy slivers.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 02:50 PM

well, I geared it specifically to combat some of my friends - I added a handful of slivers cause one of them had a sliver deck. I added some green spells because it's already basically a green/mono deck, but a handful of other cards that were not green - it has enough mana of the other colors to effectively get by. I think a Sunburst deck like that combined with some very tribal mechanics (i.e: samurai or slivers) could be very effective and fun. I just don't know how it'll pan out til I have some samurai cards, but it worked awesomely with the slivers. At any given point, I'd have some nice 5/5 or 4/4 artifact creatures out and a few healthy slivers.

Ha ha! That's very clever to put in a few of your own slivers against a sliver deck. I am assuming you put in metallic slivers, since you would not give any of their slivers a benefit. I have a sliver only deck which is green/white/blue. I don't see how the slivers and sunburst would work together though. They are just two completely different abilities which would probably run better if just one ability was highlighted in the deck. But if you are playing a very limited pool of people who tend to play the same decks I could see how that would work out.

mxzombie
09-15-2004, 02:50 PM
goddamn, i played magic with my brother and his friends in my summer camp in like 1995 and i stopped playing in like 98 or something like that. the last expansion set i saw before i stopped playing was tempest and now there are all these new sets that completely piss me off because i never know what the hell's going on. the last ability i ever saw was phasing. also the way that lands are designed now looks really stupid--with the big symbol instead of "add one (land) to your mana pool"

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Ha ha! That's very clever to put in a few of your own slivers against a sliver deck. I am assuming you put in metallic slivers, since you would not give any of their slivers a benefit. I have a sliver only deck which is green/white/blue. I don't see how the slivers and sunburst would work together though. They are just two completely different abilities which would probably run better if just one ability was highlighted in the deck. But if you are playing a very limited pool of people who tend to play the same decks I could see how that would work out.

that's exactly the case, I play against four people who rarely change their decks. I mean, we play pretty rarely anyhow. So yeah.

I tossed in some metallic slivers, the white sliver that gives slivers protection from a color (cause the other guys sliver deck was heavily blue and since mine was mostly green I'd just say blue and he'd be fucked) and some other stuff I don't remember. It was actually his deck, I hadn't bought any cards at the time. I'm working on my own deck right now, but I'm mostly waiting for CoK.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by mxzombie
goddamn, i played magic with my brother and his friends in my summer camp in like 1995 and i stopped playing in like 98 or something like that. the last expansion set i saw before i stopped playing was tempest and now there are all these new sets that completely piss me off because i never know what the hell's going on. the last ability i ever saw was phasing. also the way that lands are designed now looks really stupid--with the big symbol instead of "add one (land) to your mana pool"

EXACTLY. This was my situation. I picked it up 94/95ish, stopped playing when I got to high school which was around the days of Tempest / Weatherlight. I hated that stories were having such a big impact on it, but I was also just getting kind of bored with Magic.

I love the new sets though. I love their look and a lot of the mechanics. I ignore the stories, heh.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 02:59 PM

Wizards of the Coast are really trying to dumb down Magic. I guess they think that Magic players get too confused if there are too many lines of text on a card. Also most of the new mechanics are pretty easy to learn. Phasing was a bitch, just like banding and flanking.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 03:01 PM

Wizards of the Coast are really trying to dumb down Magic. I guess they think that Magic players get too confused if there are too many lines of text on a card. Also most of the new mechanics are pretty easy to learn. Phasing was a bitch, just like banding and flanking.

I remember all the old school mechanics. They were delightful. I still to this day don't fully remember/understand banding. I probably did back in the day.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 03:05 PM

I remember all the old school mechanics. They were delightful. I still to this day don't fully remember/understand banding. I probably did back in the day.

Banding confused alot of people. If I remeber right you could band with any other creature, but you couldn't band with more than one creature unless another creature that you were banded with had the banding ability. Basically you can band as many cratures as you like but only one of those creatures cannot have the banding ability. Then dividing damage and assigning damage from there just got confusing, like if you had a trampler banding with a flyer.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 03:17 PM

Banding confused alot of people. If I remeber right you could band with any other creature, but you couldn't band with more than one creature unless another creature that you were banded with had the banding ability. Basically you can band as many cratures as you like but only one of those creatures cannot have the banding ability. Then dividing damage and assigning damage from there just got confusing, like if you had a trampler banding with a flyer.

Yeah that sounds right. I also remember punching my friend for making me do that kind of math in the game.

ProgressChrome
09-15-2004, 04:00 PM

I remember all the old school mechanics. They were delightful. I still to this day don't fully remember/understand banding.

I hear you on that one... obviously its not a very strong mechanic, or just doesn't play well in current type 1, because I have yet to see someone play a deck with banding.

ProgressChrome
09-15-2004, 04:03 PM
So, do most people here play Type 1 or Type 2?

I'm all about Type 1, type 2 is somewhat of a cash grab for wizards in my opinion. You have to constantly buy new cards and stay updated to be competitive.
Type 1 allows you to pick anything really (almost) and make a deck that could be strong for years.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 04:05 PM

I'm all about Type 1, type 2 is somewhat of a cash grab for wizards in my opinion. You have to constantly buy new cards and stay updated to be competitive.
Type 1 allows you to pick anything really (almost) and make a deck that could be strong for years.

My friends and I aren't into Magic enough to know/care about the different types (1/1.5/2). We just play and smoke pipes. :erm

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 04:15 PM

I don't play type 1 because I don't have any of the power nine. I don't play type 2 because I do not see any creativity in the decks. there are like 3 or 4 decks which everyone plays. Extended or sealed deck/drafts are the only tournys that I play in. I would much rather just play casual with as many players as possible. I love decks that slow roll and don't win turn 1-3.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 04:19 PM

I don't play type 1 because I don't have any of the power nine. I don't play type 2 because I do not see any creativity in the decks. there are like 3 or 4 decks which everyone plays. Extended or sealed deck/drafts are the only tournys that I play in. I would much rather just play casual with as many players as possible. I love decks that slow roll and don't win turn 1-3.

I have a new found love for multiplayer games. Before we all went back to college, and at like 1am, me and the other four guys I play with had a final game. It lasted over an hour and a half and I won. It was crazy sweet and complicated.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 04:26 PM

I have a new found love for multiplayer games. Before we all went back to college, and at like 1am, me and the other four guys I play with had a final game. It lasted over an hour and a half and I won. It was crazy sweet and complicated.

I have had a few multi-player games that have lasted an hour or more. And you never see that kind of stuff in tournys, where the time limit for all three games is 50 mins.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 04:27 PM

I have had a few multi-player games that have lasted an hour or more. And you never see that kind of stuff in tournys, where the time limit for all three games is 50 mins.

Individual games take a lot less time. I enjoy multiplayer games because they're so much more dynamic.

Injektilo
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
best magic card ever

aw fuck it, i don't know how to make it appear here.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
best magic card ever

why are you a land lol

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 04:32 PM
best magic card ever

Wow! It's like Gaea's Cradle, but so much more... Netphorian.

Injektilo
09-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Brad (progresschrome) made it for me a while ago.

I will not submit to this game though!

no idea why i'm a land. or what it means.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Brad (progresschrome) made it for me a while ago.

no idea why i'm a land. or what it means.

You are actually a very good land, a $25 land at that, well you would be if it wasn't add one green for every Injektilo you contol but add one green for every creature you control.

Injektilo
09-15-2004, 06:55 PM

You are actually a very good land, a $25 land at that, well you would be if it wasn't add one green for every Injektilo you contol but add one green for every creature you control.

hah, yeah, he told me it was a good one... i don't understand the game well enough to know why exactly though.

mxzombie
09-15-2004, 10:02 PM
about 4 years ago i decided to start playing again and i went out and bought this battle royale boxed set that came with 4 premade decks with rereleased alpha, beta, and revised cards. that was the only reason i could tolerate it because the fact that i don't know any of the new expansions really bothers me. the newer cards are so much more powerful so it's almost useless for someone like me who has only older cards to play against a person with a new deck cause i'd get slaughtered.

Super Cres
09-15-2004, 10:14 PM
about 4 years ago i decided to start playing again and i went out and bought this battle royale boxed set that came with 4 premade decks with rereleased alpha, beta, and revised cards. that was the only reason i could tolerate it because the fact that i don't know any of the new expansions really bothers me. the newer cards are so much more powerful so it's almost useless for someone like me who has only older cards to play against a person with a new deck cause i'd get slaughtered.

I think it depends on who you play against. There are some really good old cards, but if you play against a person who just plays newer sets and buys a ton of cards to get the very best, then yeah you might get beaten if you are just playing a halfway decent older deck. The key is to find people to play who have about the same card base as yourself. That's why I like drafts and sealed deck tournys so much. Everyone starts off with about the same opportunity to win.

funnygeezus
09-15-2004, 10:32 PM
yeah the game is getting more ridiculous with every set. it's like they craft cards perfectly, by the old standards, and then tack 2 cheap new abilities and forget to balance it in the casting cost. the last few times i played against people who used sets newer than 6th i ended up leaving the table in disgust.

and what the fuck is up with the new look? it looks fucking retarded.

mxzombie
09-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by funnygeezus
yeah the game is getting more ridiculous with every set. it's like they craft cards perfectly, by the old standards, and then tack 2 cheap new abilities and forget to balance it in the casting cost. the last few times i played against people who used sets newer than 6th i ended up leaving the table in disgust.

and what the fuck is up with the new look? it looks fucking retarded. this is exactly what i've been trying to get at.

man i remember my older sister worked nightstaff at the dorms at fsu and this guy left a box of rare beta and revised cards. there was a revised black lotus signed by christopher rush, the artist who drew the picture. i was envious.

i almost collected an entire expansion set--homelands. it may be worthless but i've still only got like 5 cards left before i have the complete set. my brother almost collected the entire visions set.

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 10:39 PM
call me stupid but I like the new look. I dunno, I played so much magic back 95-97 that I got really tired of it. I like the new stuff. whatever.

funnygeezus
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
call me stupid but I like the new look. I dunno, I played so much magic back 95-97 that I got really tired of it. I like the new stuff. whatever.

stupid.

mxzombie
09-15-2004, 10:41 PM
what exactly are you talking about when you say new look?

Axis of Action
09-15-2004, 10:45 PM

instead of that gay curly text it's bold and much more easily readible. the colors are more distinctive and lush. ... it just looks a lot better to me.

funnygeezus
09-15-2004, 10:45 PM

they changed the borders a few sets ago. look at the only card posted in this thread. that's not what an artifact should look like. period.

mxzombie
09-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by funnygeezus
they changed the borders a few sets ago. look at the only card posted in this thread. that's not what an artifact should look like. period. i see what you mean. the thing that's bothered me the most ever since portal came out is the way they changed lands. god dammit, i hate the new ones. anyone remember the joke expansion called unglued? i had a bunch of those cards but i lost them all somehow.

Geek USA
09-16-2004, 12:50 AM
why in the fuck did i read this whole thread?

relaxor!
09-16-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Geek USA
why in the fuck did i read this whole thread? Hahahahahaha.
PS I play magic from time to time and this thread rules. I don't like the new look either but the new Japanese set (a buddy of mine got a sampler from some premade thing he bought) looks pretty sweet.

ProgressChrome
09-16-2004, 09:03 AM

you've played with us once and you will play again!

ProgressChrome
09-16-2004, 09:05 AM
anyone remember the joke expansion called unglued? i had a bunch of those cards but i lost them all somehow.

one of the cards said "get target player a target drink"

haha

ProgressChrome
09-16-2004, 09:07 AM

hah, yeah, he told me it was a good one... i don't understand the game well enough to know why exactly though.

you tap it for one green mana for each creature you control.
usually lands only give you one mana, period. but this one if you have a lot of creatures out, you are tapping for a LOT of mana which can really accelerate the game for you.

ImplodingVoices
09-16-2004, 09:10 AM
i think i got out of magic around oddysey or torment. i had this kick ass mystic enforcer deck that could whip anyone. ill post it here sometime

blackfaerie
09-16-2004, 09:15 AM
bah!

i have a shitty B*W deck, only because since i have no one to play with, i refuse to spend the money building a better one.

ProgressChrome
09-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Geek USA
why in the fuck did i read this whole thread?

because you like magic THAT much!