View Full Version : USA Basketball loses to Argentina...

Mood ring
08-27-2004, 03:10 PM
Argentina?

in a related story, 4 out of 5 doctors suggest Blunts may have had something to do with this.

Quagmire
08-27-2004, 03:26 PM
argentina is a better team.

Esty
08-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Lakers lose
USA Team lose
Now its the Cubs turn and it'll be a good sports year.

Honeyspider II
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
yes, Argentina played a very good game today :)

wHATcOLOR
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Honeyspider II
yes, Argentina played a very good game today :)

sup jawbone! congrats on the win! i, for one, am not a fan of US basketball.

souvenir
08-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Liquid-J'sGhost

sup jawbone! congrats on the win! i, for one, am not a fan of US basketball.

I really don't think he had anything to do with the win...

wHATcOLOR
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
i bet you're right. i was way out of line for saying congratulations. what in the world was i thinking.

souvenir
08-27-2004, 04:18 PM
you WEREN'T thinking!

Nimrod's Son
08-27-2004, 04:36 PM
The US team has no idea how to play international basketball, the team was assembled without thought to actually being a functional team, and the players treated it like an All-Star game.

I'm kind of glad they're out of gold contention. This may wake some people up.

souvenir
08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
so they'll play for bronze now?

that was a semi-final, right?

Nimrod's Son
08-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by souvenir
so they'll play for bronze now?

that was a semi-final, right? Yep.

Mariner
08-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
The US team has no idea how to play international basketball, the team was assembled without thought to actually being a functional team, and the players treated it like an All-Star game.

I'm kind of glad they're out of gold contention. This may wake some people up.

i agree, wholeheartedly, with this post

Mariner
08-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Esty
Lakers lose
USA Team lose
Now its the <s>Cubs</s> Yankees' turn and it'll be a good sports year.

Mayfuck
08-27-2004, 05:46 PM
no.yank.ess.will.be.ieilimianted.bythe.anaheim.ang les...dontyou.seewhats.ahppening....first.usa.make s.6th.place.inworld.chapimpshion...lakers.lose.to. detroit...and.now.usa.wont.take.home.gold...maybe. noteven.a.medla......subsatance.is.making.a.come.b ack.in.sports.over.flash....thats why.the.angels.will.in.it.this.yeahr.holla!!

guz
08-27-2004, 06:14 PM
The majority of events in the olympics are a joke, anyhow. Until they come up with better scoring systems and improved scoring...it will stay this way.

In Boxing, for example, it's the fighter who runs and jabs who scores the victory...not the aggressor who is able to fight close-range. The majority of Olympic bouts end in 18-15 type scores, and for those who don't keep track, that's a count of punches landed THE ENTIRE BOUT. 18 punches landed to 15. Why? Because it's the long jabs that are seen and counted...not the uppercuts or inside body shots.

The referring in Basketball is an absolute joke as well. Almost half the calls are blatantly wrong.

Ever watching fencing/sabre? This was the first year I actually paid any attention to it, the mens individual sabre...and wow, talk about -horrible- scoring. Literally 75% of the time the judge awarded the point to the wrong guy.

Anyhow, things are going to continue to move in this direction for the US not because they have no heart, or do not know how to play as a team...but because they are playing a different game against actual teams who play them. International Boxing is a completely different sport than American Boxing. The style of officiating International Basketball is unlike it is here in the US. USA women's soccer however keeps it up, why? Because they are for the most part our national team, playing the same game that is played all over the world. The rules are the same, the officiating is the same, style of play is the same. That's just how it is, and it's not just a matter of us 'waking up'.

Nimrod's Son
08-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by guz
That's just how it is, and it's not just a matter of us 'waking up'. I wasn't talking about the players waking up. I meant those who assemble these teams.

guz
08-27-2004, 06:20 PM
I wasn't talking about the players waking up. I meant those who assemble these teams. I agree that they made a few mistakes, especially in the outside shooting category....but even had they brought Ray Allen with them, it's going to be a difficult game for them to learn once every few years like this. How often does Tim Duncan foul out in the NBA? Check that...how often does he pick up his 4th foul in an NBA game? He was in foul trouble literally the entire tournament.

ImplodingVoices
08-27-2004, 07:38 PM
well its pretty obvious why we lose. american basketball players only know how to slam dunk and shoot three's. they dont understand the fundamentals of teamwork worth shit

souvenir
08-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by guz

Ever watching fencing/sabre? This was the first year I actually paid any attention to it, the mens individual sabre...and wow, talk about -horrible- scoring. Literally 75% of the time the judge awarded the point to the wrong guy.

fencing is all electronic, the first one that touches get the point... how can a judge be wrong there ?

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-27-2004, 07:43 PM
and the players treated it like an All-Star game.
up.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Not in the game I saw against Lithuania.</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ImplodingVoices
well its pretty obvious why we lose. american basketball players only know how to slam dunk and shoot three's. they dont understand the fundamentals of teamwork worth shit

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">1)This year's squad didn't have many guys who could shoot threes so they had some problems.
2) How is someone supposed to play cohesive team basketball with 11 dudes he's never played with before?</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Mood ring
in a related story, 4 out of 5 doctors suggest Blunts may have had something to do with this.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">That's dumb.</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-27-2004, 07:52 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">The reason why the USA team wasn't very good this year is because no one put any thought into selecting the team, like Nimrod said.

I guarantee that they would have done a lot better if they would have taken Michael Redd, Ron Artest, Rasheed Wallace, Brent Barry, Sam Cassell, and a center (Dampier? Ratliff? Are these the best we got after Big Ben and Shaq?) instead of some of the questionable selections like Boozer, Wade (love the guy but he shouldn't be on the team), Okafor, and Carmelo.</font>

Hillzy
08-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by guz

What the fuck? Have you not noticed the wires coming off the back of the competitors? Hits are registered by a computer, there is no way to give the point to the wrong guy. I'm going to assume because of this that everything else you said is total bullshit as well.

guz
08-30-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Hillzy

What the fuck? Have you not noticed the wires coming off the back of the competitors? Hits are registered by a computer, there is no way to give the point to the wrong guy. I'm going to assume because of this that everything else you said is total bullshit as well.
The computer is -not- what decides the points. Have you actually watched the competition? Maybe you should.

The electronic system tracks hits and triggers the 'scoring light' on the competitors helmets and the scoring box...which the judge monitors and scores from. From the 4 matches I watched, more than half the time the scoring hits were almost simultaneous....one went for the hit and the other would move in defense, also going for the hit. The scoring lights go off almost at the same time..and in some cases at the same time. From that point, it's on to the judge to say who won that point...not a computer system. Also, the judge must decide whether the winning hit was scored fairly or not.

If you'd have watched any of the competitions, you'd have seen the slow-motion playback of the hits and seen how horrible the scoring really is. It's because of this poor scoring system that each of the competitors celebrates after each hit to try and get the judge to lean their way, and it's because of this scoring system that 2 of the 4 matches I watched had the wrong guy advancing to the next round.

Mr. Rhinoceros
08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by guz

The computer is -not- what decides the points. Have you actually watched the competition? Maybe you should.

The electronic system tracks hits and triggers the 'scoring light' on the competitors helmets and the scoring box...which the judge monitors and scores from. From the 4 matches I watched, more than half the time the scoring hits were almost simultaneous....one went for the hit and the other would move in defense, also going for the hit. The scoring lights go off almost at the same time..and in some cases at the same time. From that point, it's on to the judge to say who won that point...not a computer system. Also, the judge must decide whether the winning hit was scored fairly or not.

If you'd have watched any of the competitions, you'd have seen the slow-motion playback of the hits and seen how horrible the scoring really is. It's because of this poor scoring system that each of the competitors celebrates after each hit to try and get the judge to lean their way, and it's because of this scoring system that 2 of the 4 matches I watched had the wrong guy advancing to the next round.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Why are you so indignant about bad scoring at fencing events? I mean, it sounds to me like a lost cause.</font>

guz
08-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Why are you so indignant about bad scoring at fencing events? I mean, it sounds to me like a lost cause.</font> It was one of a few examples I pointed out w/ Olympic scoring in general, I was not focusing on fencing alone. Hillzy then decided to take a shot at the post, I replied. I'm far from caring much about the actual sport, it just happened to be one of the events I watched for an hour or so and had trouble believing.