View Full Version : ITT You give me advice

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 05:04 PM
I'm applying online to go to art school of my choice, and have to write an entrance essay. I haven't written an essay of any serious sort in over 2 years and have no idea how to go about this.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, or have their own entrance essays that I could take a look at?

Toby
08-14-2004, 05:06 PM
is there a topic?

Nimrod's Son
08-14-2004, 05:08 PM
I think ihaman had to write one for art school last year.

Isle
08-14-2004, 05:08 PM
i'm excellent at writing essays. i'm top of my english class. hit me

mxzombie
08-14-2004, 05:09 PM
oh yeah i got a 5 on the ap english comp exam last year, so i may be able to help as well.

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 05:13 PM
It's not a hard topic or anything, I just don't know what to write or how to go about it.
<i>
Your essay should address the major influences on your decision to pursue art, architecture, design, or writing, and may ******* one of the following additional topics:

Describe a personal hardship or barrier that you have had to overcome and explain how it has affected your education or academic performance.
Based on your life experience, describe your understanding of cultural differences, how this understanding was acquired, and how it has affected you.
Artists often work on projects that involve, reflect, or influence their community. Tell us about a project you have been involved with that has made a difference to your community</i>

Isle
08-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by avian chaos
It's not a hard topic or anything, I just don't know what to write or how to go about it.
<i>
Your essay should address the major influences on your decision to pursue art, architecture, design, or writing, and may ******* one of the following additional topics:

Describe a personal hardship or barrier that you have had to overcome and explain how it has affected your education or academic performance.
Based on your life experience, describe your understanding of cultural differences, how this understanding was acquired, and how it has affected you.
Artists often work on projects that involve, reflect, or influence their community. Tell us about a project you have been involved with that has made a difference to your community</i>

good topic. well kimmeh out with it, what are your viewz?

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 05:18 PM
I like art. Art is... good.

Isle
08-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I like art. Art is... good.

F+

hereisnowhy
08-14-2004, 05:32 PM
How long does it have to be? I had to write a proposal to get into grad school. It took me forever and I hated it, even though I genuinely wanted to go.

Toby
08-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I've gotta write the same thing for that AD training program.

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Isle

F+

:rofl:

They say they read every essay, but Hyperbole makes me wonder... Do they, do they <i>really</i>?

My mom went to study art at UCDavis. I should just ask to see hers and then swipe it.

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Good news... I just got mail saying that I'm getting an $8,322 Cal Grant for the school I choose to attend! :cool:

mxzombie
08-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Good news... I just got mail saying that I'm getting an $8,322 Cal Grant for the school I choose to attend! :cool: holy cow

Isle
08-14-2004, 06:43 PM
i love chocobo music.

<3<3<3

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by mxzombie
holy cow

Yeah, now I just have to write my personal essay and get accepted. Maybe I'll try and make it humorous. I can't be serious / write a serious essay... It's just not in me.

I don't think I'm pretentious enough to go to art school, you guys. :\

heh. Yeah. The chocobo music is a great touch to the frantic scouring of my brain.

The Light
08-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Just remember to stay focused and format it professionally and you should be fine. That is a good topic, think about if you've ever participated in a street fair or doing sidewalk art, etc. Hell you could even talk about how your art evolved from street graffiti and became more focused towards impacting your community, making people think. That'd be cool but only if you really are a good graffiti artist, lol.

avian chaos
08-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Nope, my main areas of interest are painting and printmaking.

Someone once told me that too many admission essays are bolted down into a formal format. As in... It's perfectly okay to write about a serious topic, but too many people try and make themselves seem like the head honcho or make themselves out to be super spectacular when they really want you to just tell a story about yourself. Is that true?