View Full Version : Little things that sitck out to you in SP songs?

Drown33
08-12-2004, 10:31 AM
There have been many topics about favorite song, album, pictures or concerts, etc.....

Is there any particular song that just touches you or moves you because of a little thing that may happen in the song whether it be a chord change, vocal line, etc...

Example - The song Crestfallen from Adore. The line where Billy sings "Another way around you". So simple but yet it gives me chills everytime I hear it!

The line " When your a hummer" on Hummer. There is just something about the way he sings it that is just beautiful.

I'm interested in hearing other opinions or thoughts about SP little things....

twilightfadez
08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
when B0lly gives who hummers?!

Drown33
08-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by RockLobster

when YOU'RE A hummer

Yeah Yeah. Honest mistake guys and girls. I'm at work so I type as fast as I can before I get caught.

Toby
08-12-2004, 10:47 AM
I dunno....

Phoenix Down
08-12-2004, 11:57 AM
- billys voice breaking at one point screaming i wanna go hooooome on some siamese dream era bootleg

- that high fat note somewhere close to the end of set the ray

- But when I woke up from that sleep
I was happier than I'd ever been

- Renew and revive
It's alright honey
It's alright, yeah

- Happiness will make you wonder
Will I feel OK?
It scares the disenchanted
Far away

and something like that in basicaly every song. thats why i love that band so much. i dunno, this question is tough...too many

Dead
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
You'll always be my whore
Cuz you're the one that I adore

Netphorian Gadabout
08-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Phoenix Down
- But when I woke up from that sleep
I was happier than I'd ever been

- Happiness will make you wonder
Will I feel OK?
It scares the disenchanted
Far away
I agree on both of those.

Also on Crestfallen the vocal interlap on "I lost my faith."

Drown33
08-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836
I agree on both of those.

Also on Crestfallen the vocal interlap on "I lost my faith."

Good call on Crestfallen.

I also love the Bass intonation on Shame.

Soma - "Until the bitter, bitter end of the world, yeah".

redbreegull
08-12-2004, 12:56 PM
"So fuck it all 'cause I don't care"

Corganist
08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
These are the first that csme to mind for me:

The part where the whole band starts singing together in 'Farewell and Goodnight' -"The sun shines, but I don't..."

"Words can't define what I feel inside, who needs them?"

The drumming in 'Cash Car Star'.

The last 30 seconds of 'I of the Mourning'

Isle
08-12-2004, 02:02 PM
its my belief that billy's best vocal moment was "intoxicated with the madness" on zero. it's just perfect.
what else...the intro buildup and first picking part of i of the mourning is incredibly uplifting, the one-chord wig-out in siva after the quiet "i just wanna get there faster" is mindblowingly funky...the futuristic string arrangments and lead lines on appels and oranges...the rainy intro drums to 1979...the last bar of strings in tonight tonight...the watery ethereal end of to sheila...

fuck it

Rockin' Cherub
08-12-2004, 02:12 PM
-the outro of thru the eyes of ruby
-the line "some day we'll wave hello, and wish we'd never waved good bye" in this time
-the moment the distorted guitars kick in in drown
-the line "tell me all of your secrets" and what follows in cherub rock
-"we must never be apart" in ava adore... well that might not be a "little thing... :erm

Drown33
08-12-2004, 02:25 PM
- The octave riff in Whir
- The end riff in Everlasting
- Drums on Geek
- The heavy riff after "I feel free" from Frail and Bedazzled
- Bass on Set the Ray

Firmament
08-12-2004, 02:37 PM
<font color="violet">*The supernatural climax and conclusion of Porcelina. It's the ultimate. (okay, not a little thing)
*During the breif lull in Bodies "Despise, Destroy, Disarm...ect"
*The piano feedback during the quiet parts of Try, Try, Try
*The way things get nightmarishly distorted at the end of BSBT
*The transition part between section 1 and 2 of GATGC
*"She's all I <b>really</b> need oh yeah!"
*The background semi-solo as Ava Adore fades
*ditto for Pug

Phoenix Down
08-12-2004, 02:42 PM
mayonnaise intro!! the harmonics at the end!!! good job james!

chord progression Laugh. very simple, but very atmospheric.

Whats the matter, whats the difference...you feel better...
whole of apathys last kiss basically. greta vocals.

Suffer her heart
And love her when your love goes unrequited
Life just fades away

Phoenix Down
08-12-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Firmament
<font color="violet">*The supernatural climax and conclusion of Porcelina. It's the ultimate. (okay, not a little thing)
*During the breif lull in Bodies "Despise, Destroy, Disarm...ect"
*The piano feedback during the quiet parts of Try, Try, Try
*The way things get nightmarishly distorted at the end of BSBT
*The transition part between section 1 and 2 of GATGC
*"She's all I <b>really</b> need oh yeah!"
*The background semi-solo as Ava Adore fades
*ditto for Pug

oh yeah, this one part in bodies has awesome drums. sort of at the end before the last big climax. i love it, its raw power

daretohearafool
08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Wow, this is a hard question! I think that every SP song has a little something that makes you just breakout in goose bumps; that's why the Pumpkins rule the world.

I think that the police car going by in the middle of Billy's 5 min solo on Starla is the ultimate climax to a solo that blows my mind every time I hear it. Playing guitar at 7am rocking as hard as possible; now that's pure heaven.

When I went a saw Zwan in Salt Lake City on April 28, 2003, and they did “Jesus, I” and “God’s Gonna Set This World On Fire” back to back with no pause in the middle that was the crowning achievement in rock and roll for me. Imagine 15 to 20 minutes of straight hard rocking guitar solo from Billy; that’s what it was. I think the fact that the whole crowd standing and cheering for about 5 min afterwards and Billy not being able to get us to shut up so he could tell us how impressive it was for him to rip off two Christian hymns and get a standing ovation in Salt Lake City, Utah, shows just how cool it was.

Ghetto_Squirrel
08-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Butter my toast.

Drown33
08-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Behind me
The grace of falling snow
Cover up everything you know
Come save me from the awful sound
Of nothing

Punkishlyevil
08-12-2004, 03:23 PM
The line "cause i have survived" in I Of The Mourning.

zbeast78
08-12-2004, 03:30 PM
i think the end of "thru the eyes of ruby" & "whir" are interesting. they're both kinda similar in the fact that they're acoustic & haunting. its moments like that when billy's at his best i think.

Stigmatic
08-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Firmament

Oh man, the bit where the song hangs after "my secret thoughts come alive" is sublime

And when the guitars harmonise in the Ava Adore solo

And the intro to Tales of a Scorched Earth when the bass plays the riff before the guitars join in

And all the others...

Dead
08-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't call them "little things" but anyway....

I was just listening to my KILLER SP MIX on my iPod and thought of some things

Mayonaise when he goes I just want to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee meeee!

On Tonite Reprise when he goes "believe EEAAANNN MEEE"

SIYL, the two parts where the guitars explode in this huge sound, i used to have my thumb on the volume listening to that song and turn it way up right at those points. So awesome!!!!!!

Drown33
08-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by zbeast78
i think the end of "thru the eyes of ruby" & "whir" are interesting. they're both kinda similar in the fact that they're acoustic & haunting. its moments like that when billy's at his best i think.

Totally agree with you on this one. He has this wonderful magic when it comes to acoustics.

Dead
08-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Vengeance is swift and sweet and sure
Insecure

Liquid-J
08-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Vengeance is swift and sweet and sure
Insecure

that really is an awesome song.

oclaftap
08-12-2004, 09:58 PM
the "i cant believe it " part in geek usa

alisonmonster
08-12-2004, 10:40 PM
- the crecendo of guitars on "Blew Away" when James sings " and I wanna let her know.."

- The last 30 seconds on Farwell and Goodnight when the song switches into the Mellon Collie piano theme. For some reason i just noticed this only a year or so ago.
:erm

Phoenix Down
08-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by alisonmonster
- the crecendo of guitars on "Blew Away" when James sings " and I wanna let her know.."

- The last 30 seconds on Farwell and Goodnight when the song switches into the Mellon Collie piano theme. For some reason i just noticed this only a year or so ago.
:erm

well, i noticed that not so long ago too....(i only had tapes of mcis for ages and farewell was cut off....), but it is truly beutiful.

redbreegull
08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Also in Porcelina, "In my mind I'm everyone"

Isle
08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
the drum buildup a few mins into starla is absolutely brilliant

from that point the song just goes nuts.

Sapphire
08-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Pretty much all of Hummer is a Smashing Pumpkins moment.

These sections in Behold! The Nightmare:

"I've faced the fathoms in your deep
withstood the suitors quiet siege
pulled down the heavens just to please you
to hold the flower I can't keep"

Are just mindblowing.

The end of For Martha, where that same riff keeps getting louder and louder, building momentum into... God...

"For years
I've been sleeping
Helpless
Couldn't tell a soul"

In Quiet is just a pure rock moment.

As is:

"So soon I'll find myself alone
To relax and fade away
Do you know what's coming down
Do you know I couldn't stay free?

I shall be free"

in Rocket.

The "I want to go home" part in Spaceboy, the strings in Spaceboy, and Spaceboy in itself is just mindblowing.

And this:

"Lover lover let's pretend
We're born as innocents
Cast into the world
With apple eyes"

Just has to be the best lyric of all time. It really gets the blood rushing through your veins for the madness that is Geek USA.

Drown33
08-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Cherry :

Hatred sleeps inside my bones
In the stillness of cool air
All the boys have been left for dead
'Cause we go where they fear to tread
The beautiful one's the one's we'll remember
The precious one's our greatest pretenders.

For Martha:

Long horses we are born
Creatures more than torn
Mourning our way home

All of Sinfony!! For some reason, sinfony to me just captures the whole SP era from beginning to end. It's only a minute long but I could listen to it over and over on repeat. Most of the time when I make mix Cd's, I always start off and end off with Sinfony. It could be a Kenny Rogers Mix (being sarcastic) but will always have the Sinfony on it. Great way to start and end any CD.

Drown33
08-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Shit ,forgot SilverFunk on Vieuphoria after Silverf*ck! What a groove and to see the whole place erupt is just mind blowing.

DeadOpera
08-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Drown33
SilverFunk

LoL!

it's not called silverfunk...did you make that up?
BTW, liar and jackboot are played after silverfuck

Firmament
08-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Silverfuck on the lost tapes is much cooler. Pychedelic as fuck!

Drown33
08-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by DeadOpera

LoL!

it's not called silverfunk...did you make that up?
BTW, liar and jackboot are played after silverfuck

Did not make it up!

Rockin' Cherub
08-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Drown33

Did not make it up!
it's wrong nonfan. it's called jackboot, get the fuckin mcis demos. you people really are weird. you come to this board only to discuss the pumpkins and then you say shit like that.

btw, silverfuck on lost tapes is cooler, james seems so totally exhausted afterwards.

oui henri
08-13-2004, 04:47 PM
i forget what their songs sound like.

Isle
08-13-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub

it's wrong nonfan. it's called jackboot, get the fuckin mcis demos. you people really are weird. you come to this board only to discuss the pumpkins and then you say shit like that.

you're getting pretty intense on the noobs man

Rockin' Cherub
08-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Isle

you're getting pretty intense on the noobs man
didn't i say i'd be crueler later?

*dead - factor raised about 75%*

TumoraXsault
08-13-2004, 05:36 PM
"my love for you just can't explain
why we're forever frozen,
forever beautiful,
forever lost inside ourselves"

This is important to me mainly because I like this girl in work who happens to be the managers daughter. She is a good friend of mine, but dating changes everything once the relationship is over. Thus, I can't pull myself to tell her that I like her for fear that if I ever did date her... I would be afraid of breaking up with her and thus losing my job...

This situation could also fit with the song, "Stand Inside Your Love" , in that she is far out of my league since she is the managers daughter and talks with all the hierarchys...

Smashing Corgan
08-13-2004, 06:10 PM
That little lick in the Soma bridge after "So let the sadness come again" is awesome for some reason.

"The night has come to hold us young" (when the drums kick in and billy sings louder)

The "dreaaaaammm" in SIYL

the killer drum fills after the Jellybelly bridge

the last minute of Snail

Sapphire
08-14-2004, 03:04 PM
In Thru The Eyes of Ruby

"wrap me up in always, and drag me in with maybes
your innocence is treasure, your innocence is death
your innocence is all i have
breathing underwater, and living under glass
and if you spin your love around
the secrets of your dreams
you may find your love is gone
and is not quite what it seemed
to appear to disappear
beneath all your darkest fears
i believe in never, i believe in all the way
but belief is not to notice, believe is just some faith
and faith can't help you to escape"

This part always grabs me. And very few songs can still do that these days. It's just so... magical. :(

Fringilla
08-15-2004, 02:07 PM
"Ask yourself a question, or anyone but me, I ain't free..." and what follows. Gosh, Hummer is just great.
"Flower, the pain will wash away, away...."
And guitars in Tristessa
and "I'll make the effort, love can last forever"...
and bass on set the ray...

Isle
08-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Fringilla

And guitars in Tristessa

the solo is orgasmic!

deedeedeedodeedeedeedodeedeedeedodeekooDEE-DEE, deedledodoodledoo....

george
08-15-2004, 07:00 PM
the piano in once in a while is something that i think is just so beautiful, the whole song is perfect, especially the line "i will be there once in a while, once in a while for you"

medillia of the grey skies, the line "you're and empty promise, you're an easy chair..." that and the sound of his voice in the song is so gentle and heartfelt, the emotion some of the pumpkins songs have is just amazing

to shiela, the song could stand as poetry alone, the lyrics are so beautiful

i of the mourning, i have to agree with everyone who mentioned it, the last 30 secs where he screams "what is it you want, what is it you want to change"

Sapphire
08-15-2004, 08:04 PM
The Bury Me solo?

Yeah, I thought so.

LittleWing
08-15-2004, 08:32 PM
In Zero when he says "Shes all I realy need" I want to stab him in face. It sounds so horrible.

Drown33
08-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Sapphire
The Bury Me solo?

Yeah, I thought so.

Fuck yeah!! The way it kicks in.

Dead
08-16-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
The Bury Me solo?

YEAH

Isle
08-16-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by LittleWing
In Zero when he says "Shes all I realy need" I want to stab him in face. It sounds so horrible.

i think it's supposed to be that way. zero has the best rock vocals of any pumpkins song. fu

Injektilo
08-16-2004, 05:18 PM
This is one of the few threads that gets done way too often, but never gets old

smiling politely
08-16-2004, 10:12 PM
-Jimmy's little drum fill that leads into the "and in my mind i'm everyone" part in Porcelina
-the way the guitars kick into the "may the king of gloom be forever doomed" part in Here is No Why
-"the impossible is possible tonight, tonight" - the strings
-"honey from the dew and from the bumblebees, yeah yeah" and that drum fill thingie going into the chorus
-the way Billy's voice becomes familiarly nasal and whiny during the climax of Real Love - "real love is faithless, we never mention we ever move to collect the solar questeeyons" or whatever the line is
-"those moonsongs that you sing your baybehs will be the song to see you THROUGH"
-the talking over the intro of The Aeroplane Flies High, and then how the guitars come pounding in right after he says "turns left, looks right"
-after the first chorus in Age Of Innocence, the way the music sort of hangs for a couple of seconds and then comes right back in with that poppy, uplifting beat
-"the earth laughs beneath my heavy feet at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk"

Most of mine involve some kind of transition into another part of the song. That's interesting, I guess.

:)

Eulogy
08-16-2004, 11:27 PM
good lord.

Drum intro for Lucky 13.

And I'd love you to notice
I'm devoted

OH.

THE LAST SONG.

Could you find a way across me, etc. THAT IS THE BEST EVER.

ok.

Slurpee
08-17-2004, 01:05 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this:

Set The Ray To Jerry,
3rd verse:
The random high hat after "suck you..."

Why is it there? Why the fuck does it sound so good?

Villarelo
08-17-2004, 08:28 AM
The "I of the Mourning" solo. :rockon:

Weezathon
08-17-2004, 09:45 AM
'For Martha' the whole song is beauitful, I cried my eyes out last night because of it, it's beautiful.

Spacyboy is also great, Landslide, Mayo, them all.

DeadOpera
08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Weezathon
'For Martha' the whole song is beauitful, I cried my eyes out last night because of it, it's beautiful.

Spacyboy is also great, Landslide, Mayo, them all.

yeah spacyboy is awesome!

Sapphire
08-17-2004, 11:03 AM
I love the Mashed Potatoes take on it.

So airy and spacy. I really like the strings sections on the SD version though.

It's a toss up on which is my favourite.

junemoon
08-19-2004, 10:52 AM
In the Arms of Sleep - 'as I play the part of a saint on my KNEES' - i love the yearning in his voice. Yes, there are some nights when I HAVE to hear this song to fall asleep.

Rocket - 'bleed in your own light, dream of your own life' -- 'I'll never be' -- 'consume my love devour my hate, it only powers my escape' -- insert godthisgrandbendgivesmeahardon here.

Geek USA - 04:16 between solo and outro. Admit it... you've all found yourselves turning it up at this point...

Sun - If I've been awake too long and then I listen to this song through headphones really loud... it's trippy.

Dross - Pretty much the whole song with extra kudos to 'You say I'm empty... we all know I'm full of shit'

Obscured - Without a doubt, my favorite lyric of all time -- 'What you said made a mess of me. What you said I don't want obscured.'

Every time he says motherfucker

Drown33
08-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Geek USA - 04:16 between solo and outro. Admit it... you've all found yourselves turning it up at this point...

Damn right!!!!!

the
08-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by LittleWing

LOL we're buddies now

LittleWing
08-21-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by the
LOL we're buddies now
So you agree?

starla30
08-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Take a day,
plant some trees.
May they shade you
from me.

May your children
play beneath.

I don't know why but I've always found this to be the most heartwrenching of his lyrics.

Transformer
08-22-2004, 09:54 PM
The gentle, yet constant, heavy breathing of Billy as he masturbates at the start of "In the arms of sleep"

i_dont_live
08-23-2004, 08:10 AM
stumbeline:

and nobody, nowhere understands anything about me.

i just break up every time i hear it. its so beautiful.

Rockin' Cherub
08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
btw, there are some moments in meladori magpie.

espacially "for the first time i go alone - do you remember when we first met? chasing down the alleyways behind my dad's "

so fucking awesome. always reminds me of my love towards this man.

mxzombie
08-23-2004, 02:34 PM
i love fuck you but my favorite part of the song is from the end of the solo to the end of the song. man it's so fucking intense. goddamn