View Full Version : spinoff of a spinoff! How open are you with your parents?

Toby
08-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty open with my parents. I'll tell them just about everything from sex to drugs, I'm not ashamed to tell them. I guess it was a big part of them letting me have so much freedom as a teenager. I was pretty open about what I had been doing and/or planned on doing. I'm sure my mom and dad would rather not hear me tell them stories of snorting coke from a womans bathroom in a sleazy bar, but I tell her stories like that all the time. She even knows about the t3.

Geek USA
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
not very :/

Quagmire
08-08-2004, 02:56 PM
more open than i used to be. i dont tell them about my sex life and they know i drink.

Toby
08-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
They don't know that I have a job. :erm

You're not serious are you?

Mo
08-08-2004, 02:59 PM
not very open at all.

Monte
08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
i don't really have much to tell my parents, nor do they ask too much
But I feel I can be as open as I want with them if I had anything really to say

Toby
08-08-2004, 03:08 PM

yeah i just haven't told them
it never came up :rofl:

mirrar
08-08-2004, 03:09 PM
with my dad-very. he knows just about everything and he listens to all my stories and doesn't think worse of me.
mom-she wants me to be, but she really doesn't know that much. she'd attack me as a person if she knew everything that went on, so i keep stuff from her accordingly. i don't need her judgement.

neopryn
08-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Not open at all. Maybe that's why she thinks I'm gay.

avian chaos
08-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm pretty open with my mom. She knows that I don't do drugs or drink alcohol, so there isn't really a whole lot to "reveal." I did tell her when I first had sex about a week later so that she knew and so she could help me schedule an appointment to get birth control... You knjow, just to let her know that I was having sex but being safe about it.

She gave me and my brothers a lot of freedom when we were teenagers, perhaps too much in the case of my older brothers... But like Toby, I think it's because of this that we're all so open with her.

I don't tell anything to my dad because he is so old fashioned. He just recently stopped getting upset whenever I swore.

Sepiae
08-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Growing up, they always knew who I had a crush on, who my best friends were, and that kind of stuff. A lot of it came from having to tell them where I was going, who I was going with, how I was getting home, what we were doing, and what time I'd be home every time I left the house. They know a lot about what goes on in my life. I'm more open with my dad than my mom though. My dad will come back with drunk party stories of his own, but my mom will get snippy. However, aside from if I'm seeing someone, they do not know anything about my love life.

schlagen
08-08-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't tell them anything. I may reveal the odd thing here & there, nothing important but if I were to ask them what I'd told them the next day, they wouldn't know.

Growing up they never met any of my friends, my boyfriends nor could they name them. They always know where I am, to an extent but not who I'm with or what I'm doing there.

If we went into a pub, they wouldn't know what drink to buy me, because I just don't share anything. It's not just them though, I'm a very closed person all around. I'm a Libra, I'm supposed to be mysterious :)

alisonmonster
08-08-2004, 03:50 PM
We don't speak much - people are surprised that i only see them about 5 times a year. It was the same when i lived in the same city as them too. I havent slept there or anything in a very long time. Besides , when we dont talk to each other after a long time , we get along much better anyway.

Sometimes i wish my mom and i had a good mom/daughter having lunch together realtionship. But we never got along like that.:(

avian chaos
08-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by schlagen
It's not just them though, I'm a very closed person all around. I'm a Libra, I'm supposed to be mysterious :)

That's funny because I'm a Libra (supposedly) and my life is an open book.

I hate astrology.

Toby
08-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by avian chaos

That's funny because I'm a Libra (supposedly) and my life is an open book.

I hate astrology. :love:

avian chaos
08-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Toby
:love:

Seriously... It never ceases to amaze me how far people are willing to go in order to "believe" in astrology and the wet blanket it tosses over everyone's personality traits. There are too many stupid people who believe in it just because they read something and try so hard to project that into their personality, or think "Well, that kind of sounds like me... Oh I do that ... Sometimes :erm IT MUST BE TRUE!"

smashingjj
08-08-2004, 05:43 PM
i'm not very open with them

but then again, i'm not very open with anyone

jeez, i was more open than ever with netphoria in this post

schlagen
08-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by avian chaos

Seriously... It never ceases to amaze me how far people are willing to go in order to "believe" in astrology and the wet blanket it tosses over everyone's personality traits. There are too many stupid people who believe in it just because they read something and try so hard to project that into their personality, or think "Well, that kind of sounds like me... Oh I do that ... Sometimes :erm IT MUST BE TRUE!"

I don't actually read my horoscope at all since it's obviously not possible to be true for all the millions of people who happen to have been born between certain dates when the sun was in this x position and venus in y position.

I just like the fact I can pretend to explain things according to Mystic Meg or whatever & people readily accept it without further explanation. I'm just lazy :p

avian chaos
08-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Fair enough!

I'm pretty open with my parents about most things, but the things that I hide are only for their own good.

Quick question: now that a few people have mentioned it, how do you tell your parents that you're gay/bisexual? I'm scared to death of letting mine know. :o

vanilla
08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
very. i can pretty much talk about anything.

pale blue eyes
08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Fairy open, though it's more by neccessity than preference. I have a big family and once once of my brothers or sisters finds out something it's pretty much common knowledge.

meow
08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
depends about what

like i went to the doctor for a pap smear and my mom asked why i was in town at the doctor and i got embarrassed.

she then asked me if i was still on the pill - i never told her i was even on the pill

avian chaos
08-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole

dude your mom should be happy about you getting pap smears/being on the pill.

Seriously! What kind of whack parent would be like, "WHAT's THAT YOU SAY? My child is acting RESPONSIBLY? That little bitch! Wait till her father gets home!"

mxzombie
08-08-2004, 06:58 PM
i am a closed book
except sometimes i'll tell them a few things

BlueStar
08-08-2004, 09:42 PM
They know absolutely nothing.

I don't like talking to them about my life.

tootsie
08-08-2004, 09:46 PM
They know absolutely nothing.

I don't like talking to them about my life.

yeah. it also helps that i live so far away from them.

i tell them what they liek to hear so they wont worry.

obscured01
08-08-2004, 09:51 PM
<font color="DAB9E8">My mom and I are extremely close... she knows all about the shit that goes on at my work, any time Zach and I are having problems or if things are going well. We chatter on about just about everything. When he's at school, I usually go down to visit him once or twice a semester. When he didn't have a roommate, I'd just stay in his dorm, now that he does, I've just gotten a hotel, and he's stayed with me. My mom knows all of that and doesn't voice too much concern. And his parents didn't have a clue, if he told them I was going to see him, he'd tell them I was staying with my aunt who lives in Mansfield (near Arlington). She does, however bitch every once in a while about whether I'm on the pill, and how I should be if I'm not. We've gone through the whole "we haven't actually had sex yet" thing multiple times, which she calls bullshit. I usually just ignore that, and then we're fine. I love my mom, she's like my best friend. We confide in eachother... as long as it doesn't deal with sex.</font>

mewl
08-09-2004, 01:56 AM
not at all... i hate them...

The Light
08-09-2004, 02:52 AM
I love my parents. My dad is one of the top three best people I know and he is amazing. I will have a beer with my dad and tell him everything I want and same for him. My mom is a little insane but a great person also and I can be open with her in every way, really, but we tend to not be that emotionally open unless we have to. Either way I will be absolutely heartbroken when I don't see them more than a few times a year.

yo soy el mejor
08-09-2004, 02:57 AM
my mom and i got closer as i got older.. shit. i mean.. im very close to her. i tell her everything. when i was little like.. 8 i used to come home and cry about how everyone at school hated me and wasnt my friend and people that said they were my friends talked bad about me. yeah, man. she heard it all. she knew too much. so i got in heaps of trouble during hs. then as i got older i told her about boys i liked. and then last year i went through this odd depression, i was in therapy. she wanted me on meds. but my mom was like nah. there was so much shit wrong with me. and then i came here. i forgot all about therapy! :uuuuhooohh:

Strange As Angels
08-09-2004, 05:50 AM
I will talk to my parents about anything but sex.

Coen
08-09-2004, 07:05 AM
I'm very open with my mom :) . I tell her just about everything. And most of the times that feels good, to talk about things with her :) .

I don't talk that much about stuff with my dad. Maybe because I never have the idea that he is interested..

machinaddict
08-09-2004, 07:38 AM
When I lived at home, I would go all out to keep them from knowing what I was up to. They caught me smelling like booze/weed on a few occassions but I would never own up. I still keep my drug use from them, but I've been completely open about alcohol since I was about 18 or so. It was very liberating to keep my beer in the fridge, rather than hiding it in the basement somewhere.
They know I have sex with my girlfriend because my mom asked me point blank last summer. She rarely brings it up, but just wants to know we are safe.

twilightfadez
08-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Hyperbole
I'm very open with my parents about my personal life. I complain to them about shitty situations, and rant excitedly about better ones. I tell them about boys and friends and partying. I tell my mom just about everything; where I'm going, what I'm doing (these two things are a courtesy when living with someone, in my opinion), what's been on my mind, school, whatever. Sometimes I give issues like school a little padding when I'm talking to my dad, but no lies or anything.

I have absolutely no interest in talking to either of them about anything sexual, mostly because it makes me shudder. but I do know if I ever had anything I needed to talk about they'd both be there to hear it.

i think you pretty much summed up what i was gonna say.

mewl
08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by mewl
not at all... i hate them...

j/k :erm