View Full Version : New reality tv show: Amish in the city

Toby
07-31-2004, 11:03 AM
http://www.upn.com/shows/amish_in_the_city/index.shtml

I watched this last night because, well because it came on after the simpson and I just wanted to see how weird it really was. I think reality tv has just gone too far.

Injektilo
07-31-2004, 11:09 AM
I'd watch it if we got it, but i'm kinda afraid they'd just end up making fun of the amish. I heard an interview with one of the directors or whatever, and it's supposed to be balanced though, so....

Injektilo
07-31-2004, 11:12 AM
oh yeah, reality tv went too far with the whole plastic surgery show, whichever one that was.

This one could at least be looked at in terms of examing a clash of cultures, tradition vs modernity on a micro scale, etc etc. Even though you know the producers just accentuate all the conflict or whatever for ratings, so I guess it's hard to draw any sort of sociological conclusions from such a TV show.

spa ced
07-31-2004, 02:02 PM
I guess some might see it as exploitation of the Amish.
I personally want to see it to see the Amish experience new things and see how they react to them and to see whether they decide to return to the Amish faith or leave it.
Things that we take for granted every day the Amish are amazed by. During the first episode one of the Amish guys said "This is my first time on an escalator. I'm freaked out."

Toby
07-31-2004, 02:04 PM
I totally think Mose is gonna go back to the faith....the whole beach fiasco freaked him out! :(

spa ced
07-31-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Toby
I totally think Mose is gonna go back to the faith....the whole beach fiasco freaked him out! :(

I think he will too. I think I know one for sure is going to leave...
I can't remember his name. The one that needed the makeover really bad.

Toby
07-31-2004, 02:07 PM
the guy with the bad teeth?

spa ced
07-31-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Toby
the guy with the bad teeth?

No I think that's Randy.
The guy I'm talking about is Jonas. Your link helped.