View Full Version : C'mon, Machina is pretty good.


skippy
07-30-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm just listening to it now and there's some great stuff on there. BSBT is wicked. Age of Innocence is kewl. I think i like the 2nd half of the album much better than the 1st. I even like The Crying Tree of Mercury. Yeah i said it. Take that!

DeviousJ
07-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
I even like The Crying Tree of Mercury. Yeah i said it. Take that!

No further questions Your Honor.

hereisnowhy
07-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Not everyone hates Machina. The Machina-haters just tend to be more vocal.

Fathoms (unadored)
07-30-2004, 07:46 PM
I haven't listened to it in so long the next chance I get I'll be in heaven. I've been tempted several times to listen to a burnt copy but burnt discs suck, plus it's not the final mix!

ImplodingVoices
07-30-2004, 08:08 PM
the crying tree of mercury is good i cant understand y ppl dislike it. the machina haters indeed r the most vocal but theres a pretty good following of gish haters which *******s myself.

Gary
07-30-2004, 08:19 PM
My opinion?

Machina is not bad, but its not that good either. Overproduction spoils a lot of tracks on it for me (such as The Everlasting Gaze) and some tracks such as The Crying Tree Of Mercury are just shite. It has its redeeming moments with tracks such as Age Of Innocence, I Of The Mourning and Stand Inside Your Love, but at the end of the day it is just an average album, something that no other Pumpkins albums are.

It doesnt help that most of the tracks on Machina II, as well as Speed Kills, are a lot better than what was offered on Machina.

hendy
07-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Gary
My opinion?

Machina is not bad, but its not that good either. Overproduction spoils a lot of tracks on it for me (such as The Everlasting Gaze) and some tracks such as The Crying Tree Of Mercury are just shite. It has its redeeming moments with tracks such as Age Of Innocence, I Of The Mourning and Stand Inside Your Love, but at the end of the day it is just an average album, something that no other Pumpkins albums are.

It doesnt help that most of the tracks on Machina II, as well as Speed Kills, are a lot better than what was offered on Machina.

Agreed.

neopryn
07-30-2004, 08:45 PM
It's not awful, but I hate it because of the wasted potential.

And if you hate Gish you are simply a moron.

Toby
07-31-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
I think i like the 2nd half of the album much better than the 1st. I even like The Crying Tree of Mercury. Yeah i said it. Take that! I've always felt this way as well.

Toby
07-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Toby
I've always felt this way as well. Matter of fact, I always skip to track 5 ( S+P) and listen from there

soniclovenoize
07-31-2004, 10:18 AM
Yeah, Machina is pretty good...

-at being overproduced
-at have poor song choices
-at having shitty guitar tones
-at having an extremely gay "concept"

Eulogy
07-31-2004, 10:51 AM
The only songs keeping it from competing with Siamese Dream and Adore for top album honors are Heavy Metal Machina, Crying Tree, and Blue Skies Bring Tears. But I like those too.

Dead
07-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
burnt discs suck, plus it's not the final mix!
What the heck are you talking about?

Isle
07-31-2004, 12:11 PM
close topic

Toby
07-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Isle
close topic


http://forums.netphoria.org/images/threadclosed.gif

Isle
07-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Toby



http://forums.netphoria.org/images/threadclosed.gif

;)

Fathoms (unadored)
07-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Dead

What the heck are you talking about?

It's some almost complete version that leaked to the net. The most noticable difference is the SAP starts with the drums for several seconds before the guitars kick in.

neopryn
07-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
The only songs keeping it from competing with Siamese Dream and Adore for top album honors are Heavy Metal Machina, Crying Tree, and Blue Skies Bring Tears. But I like those too. Nah. Blue Skies is one of the best on the album. You really like The Sacred And Profane?

Injektilo
07-31-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by neopryn

And if you hate Gish you are simply a moron.

This part needs some emphasis. If you think Machina is better than Gish (not that it was said, but somebody up there implied it.... the guy who couldn't spell "are" or "why") you need to just stop listening to music all together.

oclaftap
07-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Gary
Overproduction spoils a lot of tracks on it for me

agreed, i love most of the songs but i hate how i cant play stand inside your love incredibley loud without all that hissing crap

Ugly
07-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo


If you think Machina is better than Gish you need to just stop listening to music all together.

JIM DeROGATIS, Music Critic for the Chicago Sun Times and author seems to disagree with you.

sweter33
08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Injektilo

If you think Machina is better than Gish [...] you need to just stop listening to music all together.


I don't know how one can even compare Gish to Machina? They're so different! Not that they contain different music (because it's obvious) but because they need completely different point of view.

Machina is a beautiful record. I don't know how come so many people say it's overproduced??? Apparently someone said it once, the slogan caught on and now everybody's repeating it, which is annoying and lame.

The whole problem with Machina is that it contains so powerful load of emotions (it's like poetry from the romantic point of view-can be described as a "spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings"- W. Wordsworth) that one can either love it or don't understand it.

Toby
08-01-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by sweter33
The whole problem with Machina is that it contains so powerful load of emotions (it's like poetry from the romantic point of view-can be described as a "spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings"- W. Wordsworth) that one can either love it or don't understand it. :erm