View Full Version : Ricky Williams retires to travel, study psychology, and meditate

neopryn
07-25-2004, 12:17 AM
haha.

what a jackass.

Orenthal James
07-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Awesome for those in keeper leagues. Hah.

I got the Priest.

sweetsweet1979
07-25-2004, 01:12 AM
it might have just been me but i thought he fumbled it an awful lot

Orenthal James
07-25-2004, 01:13 AM
President of The White House Council for Anti Homogenous Activities, and the Chair for the Fudge Making Committee that is meets every other thursday to discuss their agenda and areas of international political involvment. He is going to give it to go do some stupid shit like "find himself".

OHHHHH, LOOK AT THE DEEP MAN WITH FEELINGS AND ASPIRATIONS AND A SENSE OF SELF. BACK TO THE COG, YOU BASTARD.

Ensoul
07-25-2004, 01:27 AM
"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

bigger and better things indeed. :rolleyes:

neopryn
07-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Who else expects him back next year?

sppunk
07-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Williams is a nut. I interviewed him several times while he was at UT. He always said that he'd only play the game if he wanted to badly and he wouldn't do it half-heartedly.

I believed him then, and I'll believe him now. But, that really fucks the Dolphins. Good luck with Travis Minor in the backfield of a team built around the run.

Zoso
07-25-2004, 01:45 AM
I can't believe it, but whatever happens, happens, you know.

Why Am I So Ugly?
07-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by sppunk
Williams is a nut. I interviewed him several times while he was at UT. He always said that he'd only play the game if he wanted to badly and he wouldn't do it half-heartedly.

I believed him then, and I'll believe him now. But, that really fucks the Dolphins. Good luck with Travis Minor in the backfield of a team built around the run.

http://www.paxil.com/sad/sa_ricky_Q7.html

When you look back to your childhood, do you recognize symptoms of social anxiety disorder?

A lot of people who experience it were shy as a child. I can remember being in high school and one day specifically that I was in class and I raised my hand to answer a question and I gave an answer and then I immediately thought, “That’s a really stupid answer, I’m never going to ever raise my hand again,” and I didn’t ever raise my hand again in class. So definitely, I’ve been having some symptoms at a young age. I can say, as I did go to college, I saw that talking to the media, especially sppunk, and being myself got to me. Also, when I started feeling that these things were out of the ordinary, I could just tell myself, I’m shy and I’ve always been shy. So it was hard for me to see that there was something wrong because I was always different and I was always shy. So the first time I was called aloof, I thought it was a compliment but…as it went on I realized that yeah, there is something wrong.

Why Am I So Ugly?
07-25-2004, 02:43 AM
so anyways, does this mean the paxil isnt working anymore?

mpp
07-26-2004, 07:40 AM
he's a pothead and didn't wanna stop for the drug tests

machinaddict
07-26-2004, 07:53 AM
what a lame asshole

sawdust restaurants
07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
I can't believe people are so up in arms over this. He's doing what he wants. He has more than enough money to last him the rest of his life. So why not go out if he's not into it?

Karl Connor
07-26-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
I can't believe people are so up in arms over this. He's doing what he wants. He has more than enough money to last him the rest of his life. So why not go out if he's not into it?

yeah. i'd do the same.

if i ever made anywhere over ~3 million I'd, retire just sit around all day. why not?

Thad
07-26-2004, 11:18 AM
I think I'd give my left nut to be able to "travel".

Debaser
07-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

It's the timing. Why couldn't he do this at the end of last season BEFORE THE DRAFT? Instead of dropping this shit 2 days before training camp starts without any warning and leaving all his teammates and the coaching staff (that is barely hanging onto their jobs) in the lurch. What a fucking selfish bastard. I'm not even a dolphins fan and I understand he has a disease or something - but I have no sympathy for this guy.

McCollum
07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
its the timing and the fact that he is so fucking good at football its kinda a shame that he's retiring so young.

sppunk
07-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Guys, it's not like this has never happened before. Robert Smith, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, etc.

Besides, he was likely going to get tested positive for pot again, his third offense, and be punished pretty severely by the leaegue. Williams is a really smart guy and just got the feeling not to play.

I don't fault him for being a man and standing up for what he thinks he should do, and if he didn't anticipate this sooner, so be it, people's thought patterns can change drastically.

Debaser
07-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Guys, it's not like this has never happened before. Robert Smith, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, etc.

Besides, he was likely going to get tested positive for pot again, his third offense, and be punished pretty severely by the leaegue. Williams is a really smart guy and just got the feeling not to play.

I don't fault him for being a man and standing up for what he thinks he should do, and if he didn't anticipate this sooner, so be it, people's thought patterns can change drastically.

so basically, what i gather from your post is he smoked weed all summer, then training camp is right around the corner and he goes "oh shit, i'm gonna test positive again! Fuck it, I'm gonna retire."

Then you call him a "really" smart and stand up guy for what he did?

sppunk
07-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Debaser

so basically, what i gather from your post is he smoked weed all summer, then training camp is right around the corner and he goes "oh shit, i'm gonna test positive again! Fuck it, I'm gonna retire."

Then you call him a "really" smart and stand up guy for what he did?

Likely not that exactly, but since when did smoking pot hinder you from being smart?

Williams was talking Sociology courses from UT last year. I would be less than 2 percent of the NFL players have taken courses during the season.

I'm not taking up for his decision now, but I find it better than doing this in the middle of the season.

Debaser
07-26-2004, 02:12 PM

Likely not that exactly, but since when did smoking pot hinder you from being smart?

Williams was talking Sociology courses from UT last year. I would be less than 2 percent of the NFL players have taken courses during the season.

I'm not taking up for his decision now, but I find it better than doing this in the middle of the season.

nah, my point is the timing. the timing of the announcement is what makes him a stupid asshole. apparently he's been wanting to do this for a long time now, why didn't he announce the retirement in time for the team to draft a replacement or do something about it?

sppunk
07-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Debaser

nah, my point is the timing. the timing of the announcement is what makes him a stupid asshole. apparently he's been wanting to do this for a long time now, why didn't he announce the retirement in time for the team to draft a replacement or do something about it?

Maybe he hasn't wanted to do it. I look at it this way, which does piss me off: He's smoked so much weed it's killed his motivation to play the game. He's always said that he will stop playing when the motivation runs out, but drugs have killed that. And that really sucks.

mpp
07-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by mpp
he's a pothead and didn't wanna stop for the drug tests

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1847599

as i said...