View Full Version : becoming a Big Sister

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 07:56 AM
has anyone become a Big Sis or Big Brother?

i'm interested and i wanna hear opinions plz :)

severin
07-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by twilightfadez
has anyone become a Big Sis or Big Brother?

i'm interested and i wanna hear opinions plz :) you ain't talking about family relations, are you?

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 08:03 AM
http://www.bbbsa.org/site/pp.asp?c=iuJ3JgO2F&b=14576

What is Big Brothers Big Sisters?
Big Brothers Big Sisters is the oldest and largest youth mentoring organization in the United States, matching caring adults with children, ages five-to-18 years old, in one-to-one relationships.

Who are Big Brothers and Big Sisters?
Big Brothers and Big Sisters are all kinds of people -- from high school and college students to business people to retirees -- who volunteer to spend time with children. Bigs sometimes spend as little as one hour each week with a child in need. Through this mentoring program, both child and adults share everyday experiences that enrich the lives of all involved.

barden
07-22-2004, 08:09 AM
I have two younger siblings.

My mother got pregnant, gave birth. It was quite a complicated process, but eventually after being thoroughly screened I was accepted as the Big Brother.

mirrar
07-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ^Agony_Imp^
I have two younger siblings.

My mother got pregnant, gave birth. It was quite a complicated process, but eventually after being thoroughly screened I was accepted as the Big Brother. you should really read the replies in this post before responding.

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 09:26 AM
:erm

go to the link i gave you

silent1
07-22-2004, 09:27 AM
hell naw! i already got a real little sister. why would i want a fake one? unless it was to make her my slave or something. can you do that?

p.s. your sig rules. lol.

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 09:28 AM
you're so mean!

smashingjj
07-22-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm also the father of my sister

Esty
07-22-2004, 10:16 AM
I've also thought of becoming a big brother. Then I remember how I don't have the time and already have kids who soak up my time.

I am seriously considering coaching little league next year. What the hell is wrong with me?:erm

mpp
07-22-2004, 10:41 AM
my friend kyle is a big brother and he loves it

his little brother girard is awesome; they go to braves games and go play catch and stuff like that; he even takes him to his little league games sometimes i think

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by mpp
my friend kyle is a big brother and he loves it

his little brother girard is awesome; they go to braves games and go play catch and stuff like that; he even takes him to his little league games sometimes i think

so you can actually go out alone with them? like take them in your car and say, go to the beach? or is it supervised at their school and stuff?

wounded
07-22-2004, 11:05 AM

so you can actually go out alone with them? like take them in your car and say, go to the beach? or is it supervised at their school and stuff?

i actually know nothing, but i'm sure you have to go through a pretty good background check before you can do this stuff, so i'd think you could do that stuff.

souvenir
07-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Hasn't anyone ever seen that Simpsons episode where Bart gets a Big Brother and Homer becomes one ?

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 11:09 AM
:/ i don't even have any traffic citations.
so i think i'm pretty clear for the bg check

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by the souvenir

Hasn't anyone ever seen that Simpsons episode where Bart gets a Big Brother and Homer becomes one ?

yeah but do i remember? no :(

pink_ribbon_scars
07-22-2004, 11:17 AM
I think I will probably do it if I ever get lonely or get more spare time. In my senior year of high school I was in a program called "Buddies to Youth" where I went to an elementary school for a few hours a week to help out a nice but poorly performing girl named Amber. I got permission from her parents to take her out and do stuff. We went to get pizza, we went to ballgames, she played with my cousins, we went shopping for school clothes at the mall, and I had forgotten about this, but I even helped her have a pool party and sleep-over at my house. And let me tell you what, nothing has EVER been more rewarding. She went from doing really shitty in school and having a very low self esteem, to being a fairly good student with a MUCH better self esteem. No one, not even her parents or teachers, had ever given her the time of day. After I left for college we exchanged a few letters and I visited her one time when I was home. But then her family moved and I never tried to track her down, mainly because I live hundreds of miles away. Sometimes when I'm home I run into her old friends and they always remember me and ask me if I know how Amber is doing.

I say go for it, at worst you can quit and at best it will be amazing.

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 11:20 AM
i have a tight schedule..but i think i can squeeze in a couple hours a week to do kid stuff :)

mpp
07-22-2004, 11:30 AM
i have a tight schedule..but i think i can squeeze in a couple hours a week to do kid stuff :)

good for you

yeah you can take them a lot of cool places; i mean, my friend's little brother has never been outside of the city limits of Atlanta, Georgia and he had never even been to the zoo or seen a real bear or elephant or anything in his whole life

kyle made all this possible b/c he's a nice guy

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 12:31 PM
oh there's so much stuff to do here. we can go to the Miami Children's Museum, Seaquarium..the the beach...to the zoo...to the Everglades! :0 omg on an airboat ride!!!!

Eulogy
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
My school has a big brother/big sister program for incoming freshmen.

but it's really, really, really gay. My big sister was just my sister's friend...and all we did at the meeting was talk about how gay the whole thing was.

But I bet the real program is awesome.

Eulogy
07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
........I'm going to be a big brother this year. I'm going to try and make it worthwhile. :-/

I just hope my little person isn't stupid.

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
........I'm going to be a big brother this year. I'm going to try and make it worthwhile. :-/

I just hope my little person isn't stupid.

aww be nice.

BlueStar
07-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
My school has a big brother/big sister program for incoming freshmen.

but it's really, really, really gay. My big sister was just my sister's friend...and all we did at the meeting was talk about how gay the whole thing was.

But I bet the real program is awesome.

My high school had that too. Every senior got a little sister (it was an all girls school). But, because there were usually more freshman than seniors, a couple of select juniors also got to have a little sister. So, my junior year, I had a little sister. Basically, all you did was attend a pre-first day of school picnic with them and then get them a gift on their birthday. My senior year, though, they re-vamped the program and changed it so you had to apply to be a big sister (instead of just automatically being one) and then a group of students decided who got to be a big sister and how many little sisters they got (1-3). So, even though I had one my junior year, I didn't get to have even one my senior year. Bitches. :mad:

But yeah, the real program sounds pretty good. Nancy Thompson's son, Kevin, brought his little brother to one of the events I was staffing Nancy at last weekend. He seemed rather cool. However, I felt bad that he was stuck with such a massive tool as his big brother.

Eulogy
07-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BlueStar

My high school had that too. Every senior got a little sister (it was an all girls school). But, because there were usually more freshman than seniors, a couple of select juniors also got to have a little sister. So, my junior year, I had a little sister. Basically, all you did was attend a pre-first day of school picnic with them and then get them a gift on their birthday. My senior year, though, they re-vamped the program and changed it so you had to apply to be a big sister (instead of just automatically being one) and then a group of students decided who got to be a big sister and how many little sisters they got (1-3). So, even though I had one my junior year, I didn't get to have even one my senior year. Bitches. :mad:

Yeah, they're constantly updating ours. Every junior and senior can apply, but this stupid whore who's in chage of peer ministry or something who everyone hates decides who gets to do it. She likes me though. :erm

We have to go to the freshman orientation, and then there are like 4 or so meetings during the school year in the middle of the day. So we get to miss some classes. And then one day early in the year we do a 'twin day' where we have to dress alike....and we give them candy on halloween and cards on christmas and shit like that. I guess we're supposed to contact them at least once a week or something. egh. But maybe mine will be cool.

DeviousJ
07-22-2004, 03:44 PM
oh there's so much stuff to do here. we can go to the Miami Children's Museum, Seaquarium..the the beach...to the zoo...to the Everglades! :0 omg on an airboat ride!!!!

The Seaquarium... do they still sell those frozen bananas?

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

The Seaquarium... do they still sell those frozen bananas?

I think so, chief

crescentfresh
07-22-2004, 03:47 PM
I think there is a required time period you have to do it for, so it has to be something you want to completely dedicate yourself to. I have been interested in doing it for some time, but I am just afraid I couldn't make the commitment.

DeviousJ
07-22-2004, 04:00 PM

what?!

i have never heard about frozen bananas at the seaquarium!

You're supposed to say 'I think so, chief'

Nimrod's Son
07-22-2004, 04:52 PM
This is something I've always considered, but really I don't think I need to be influencing some kid right now. "Hey kid, the world sucks. Let me show you how."

Injektilo
07-22-2004, 05:08 PM
i want to do that this year, but i'd only be able to commit for a 9 months from now, and thats not really fair to the kid, so...
hopefully sometime later in life.

The Gaddrow
07-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BlueStar
However, I felt bad that he was stuck with such a massive tool as his big brother. Yeah, poor kid. Was he old enough to know that his big brother was a douchebag?

Hopefully Kevin bought him cool shit though.

DeviousJ
07-22-2004, 07:28 PM

I think so, chief

Let's roll

The Gaddrow
07-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Was he old enough to know that his big brother was a douchebag? Ohhh. That kid. Yeah. I thought they were really related. My bad.

I think he thought it was cool when I introduced myself and shook his hand. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon6.gif

neopryn
07-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Wouldn't you, like to be a big brother, to someone, like me?

Nimrod's Son
07-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Is it possible to be a big brother to... say a 17 year old girl? In that case I may reconsider.

twilightfadez
07-22-2004, 07:58 PM
sex0rs?

Nimrod's Son
07-22-2004, 07:59 PM
sex0rs? No way. I'd simply be her big brother for a year.

barden
07-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
you should really read the replies in this post before responding.

I did.

I was kidding!

souvenir
07-23-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Is it possible to be a big brother to... say a 17 year old girl? In that case I may reconsider.

I believe the girls get a big sister, and you couldn't qualify for that job, could you?