View Full Version : how many hints do you have to drop?

Samsa
11-19-2002, 10:53 PM
before this girl realizes or remembers or sort of registers that i have a motherfucking paper to write. why why why. i always drop hints. i say to her. 'okay. i am GOING to write my paper today. i HAVE to. i BETTER write it'. does she not understand the little passive aggressive hint hey it would be nice if for once you didn't talkl to me while i try to concentrate. i even put on headphones :( so she can't talk to me. but of course what happens is someone else comes in and they stand there animatedly and loudly talking to each other . ugh. why why why. why is it so hard to realize.

ok he's gone i'm gonna try to write this paper now.

Kalsedony
11-19-2002, 10:57 PM
Throw a doc at her and scream at her to get the fuck out and let you work. That normally gets through to even the most moronic of people...

Samsa
11-19-2002, 11:22 PM
okay, now my other roommate has someone in here and they're looking at something and laughing. and i had a discussion with her about how i haven't written my paper yet and i have to write it tonight 'cause it's due tomorrow. yet here they are. are people fucking dense?

Kalsedony
11-19-2002, 11:41 PM
You really should follow my advice.

Sepiae
11-19-2002, 11:46 PM
How do you get work done with 2 other girls in that room? One is managable....3 people in that small space with 3 seperate plans for the night, well, I think it would drive me nuts. I guess you get used to it after awhile...but to me it just seems cruel to stick freshmen 3 to a room.

Cactuar
11-19-2002, 11:49 PM
Don't you have study areas or computer labs?

Samsa
11-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Cactuar
Don't you have study areas or computer labs?

hmm let's see. unplug my computer and lug it over to some place, replug it in, get resettled (i will of course also need to disconnect my ethernet cable and replug it in because i am using the internet to write my paper) and then there's the issue of the fact that i have tried many times to go into the study lounge and study but have never been able to accomplish anything due to issues of my inability to concentrate in such formal, rigid environments, plus the fact that most people in there constantly whisper and giggle and i spend my whole time reallyh fucking pissed off.

or wait . option number two.; my roommates be considerate and let me write my paper in my own goddam room.

Samsa
11-19-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Sepiae
How do you get work done with 2 other girls in that room? One is managable....3 people in that small space with 3 seperate plans for the night, well, I think it would drive me nuts. I guess you get used to it after awhile...but to me it just seems cruel to stick freshmen 3 to a room.

i don't get work done. and it's dsriving me nuts. they both never study or work it seems and they are both getting horrible grades. and right now they're talking to each other. it drives me nuts. the only time i can ever get anything done is when they're asleep or not in th eroom . so i generally just stay up until 6 am when i have something to do.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 12:01 AM
no, it literally drives me crazy . because girls talk all the fucking time. and it's almost as if there's constantly like company in th eroom. because if you have one roommate if you're working you're not talking to them and they don't have anyone to talk to (unless they call someone on the phone or talk to you against your will whcih i also have experiences with) but if you have TWO roommates even if you're not talking THEY are. i am taking a shower right now. maybe when i get out they'll have shut up.

noir cat
11-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Don't study areas, libraries, and computer labs have internet connection??? Bring a floppy disk, too. I usually get my work done at my school, where there's really great internet connection.

Random Female
11-20-2002, 01:28 AM
for real. My brother brings his gf over every fuckin night it seems like (did I hang around the house with my bfs?? NO, I courteously made use of public structures in which to socialize and cars in which to explore the physical delights) and they always hang out here in the computer room. Here where I'm trying to write the hardest paper of my life. and they'll just start making out and i'm like JESUS FUCK WTF ARE YOU DOING RIGHT IN FORNTOFME ARGGGG

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by undivinemartyr
Don't study areas, libraries, and computer labs have internet connection??? Bring a floppy disk, too. I usually get my work done at my school, where there's really great internet connection.

my study lounge does have a room with a computer on it. but that's just not feasible. i have all my shit on MY computer. i want to write a paper on my computer. i'm one of those people that is very susceptible to my environment. i can't really function with unfamiliarity too easily. i'm not going to write a paper on a strange computer with a floppy disk. i have resources. i have papers sitting around and notebooks and pens. if i went to work somewhere else i'd have to copy my whole hard drive and bring a suit case with me. i don't see why i should have to fucking pack a suit case just to write a paper.

actually it's quiet right now and i guess i'm halfway done. thank god. they both left. my paper really sucks. really really sucks. shit. and i just got an annoying e-mail from this girl telling me to do something annoying. and i just remembered all this bullshit about 'the economy of librairies' i am not fucking going to read. oh wait i spoke too soon. people are out in the lounge squealing! yay!

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:50 AM
NO. THEY'RE BOTH BACK. FUCK. LIKE A FUCKING TEMPEST. THEY'RE BACK. AND AGAIN THEY'RE TALKING.

i decided it's just ONE roommate of mine who is the problem. she just talks nonstop and it's horrible. she always has to be talking to someone. ok.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:51 AM
okay. now my ra is in here talking about revenge of the nerds. she sat down. it's going to be a long night. i am going to throttle someone.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 02:00 AM
i got on im to bitch to my sister and my roommate imd me:

her(11:53:36 PM): are you writing your paper
me(11:53:39 PM): yep
her (11:53:48 PM): how far have you gotten now
me (11:54:02 PM): almost two pages :-\
her(11:54:06 PM): woo hoo
her (11:54:07 PM): YAY
me(11:54:09 PM): yep

jenn
11-20-2002, 02:32 AM
wow, i am damn fucking lucky to have a single. *eats mango*

Mason R Butler
11-20-2002, 03:09 AM
Does being on Netphoria help you write your paper?

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by I Hate Music

it helps drive me toward the bottle.

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~mofo1983/belushi-john-jack-daniels-4000272.JPG

tear stained glass
11-20-2002, 03:53 AM
Eleventy bagillion is my magic number.

Ugly
11-20-2002, 03:55 AM
once you get into it, computer labs can be great for writting essays. I just wrote 1000 words today in an hour and a half(good too) at school. then I came home. and I've written: DESCRIPTION OF MEDIA PROJECT

and thats about 6 hours worth of work there.

sigh. stupid inability to concentrate

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by I Hate Music

no but when i'm really frustrated i can't write anyways

oh and i finished :)

i don't think it's waht my teacher was looking for though but i tried :(

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:32 AM
yeah i was bitching at my sister for a long time and it was irritating. like she kept amking dumb suggestions like you people. she kept telling me to go to teh fucking library. i was lke 'it's midnight im in my pajamas the library is 10 minutes away i am not going to the libraryy' jesus christ . and then sh ekept arguing with me about the study loung. 'why dont you like the study lounge?' and i told her i hate schlepping my stuff she didn't get it. and she tried to help me with my paper and wasn't really helpful. cuz i never told her what i was supposed to write about. yeah. i just imd her to bitch and have her go 'stupid bitches oyou should kill them' instead she sits there for 30 minutes talking to me and i have to like talk to her and shit and lol. she had the audacity to later ask me 'so areyou not wasting time by sitting her on im?' i so almost went 'YES I AM WASTING TIME U NEED TO SHUT UP' but i didn't. and then sh ewent to bed :(

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
teachers now just look for competence. You'll probably get an A.

i'm supposed to apply 2 approaches. i don't know if i actually applied the approaches or not or just discussed . like yeah. and i was supposed to apply 2 of 3 but then i went on to talk about the 3rd one anyways. well we suggested we mention it too but maybei mentioned it too much. i dunno. wh oknows. plus i dunno if i cited my sources or not. or if i used enough concrete evidence. et.c

BlueStar
11-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Samsa

or wait . option number two.; my roommates be considerate and let me write my paper in my own goddam room.

Have you ever expressed to either of your roommates that you need quiet to write your paper? Not everyone needs quiet to study/write a paper...it might help if you mentioned that.

Of course, if I was your roommate and it turned out that you needed quiet, I would tell you to GO TO A DESIGNATED QUIET AREA!

You really need to get yourself a single.

severin
11-20-2002, 08:14 AM
you really should step forward and just TELL your roommate, that you need some quiet while doing your work. if she doesn't leave, then she is a total ass...

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 09:21 AM
Suze, you can't expect the world to bend and shape itself around your own personal requirements automatically. If these people aren't giving you your quiet time, you're going to have to say something. And don't forget, they have to live with you too - maybe they just want to hang out in their room? If you can't get anything done, and they won't shut up, you're just going to have to find somewhere quiet you can concentrate. And carrying a laptop around isn't so hard - at least that way you can work where you like

Samsa
11-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Suze, you can't expect the world to bend and shape itself around your own personal requirements automatically. If these people aren't giving you your quiet time, you're going to have to say something. And don't forget, they have to live with you too - maybe they just want to hang out in their room? If you can't get anything done, and they won't shut up, you're just going to have to find somewhere quiet you can concentrate. And carrying a laptop around isn't so hard - at least that way you can work where you like

okay, so apparently i expect the world to bend and shape itself to me?

apparently i'm never allowed to get anything i want??

why is this so difficult for you to understand? they are NEVER quiet. NEVER. if both of them are in here at the same time, and they are not asleep, then they aren't going to be quiet. at all.

is it too much to ask that i ask for just a couple hours of quiet every once in awhile when i want to do my homework? i don't see what the fucking problem is. suddenly when i want something i'm 'expecting the world to shape itself to my needs', yet here you people are telling ME that i should go to the study lounge or the library, because THEY talk all the fucking time? why don't you fucking understand? i have TRIED the study lounge. i go there a lot. i've been going there a lot because they are ALWAYS in here talking or some shit. i have a huge amount of difficulty concentrating in the study lounge but i have TRIED IT.

and why is it so difficult to lug my computer around? because i don't want to. that's why. i don't fucking want to. because i can't function in unfamilliar environments. i told you. i'm not fucking stupid. i thought of that on my fucking own thank you. i said to myself 'hmm what if i took my computer into the study lounge' but the thought of doing that just made me shudder because i KNOW i would not get anything done in there. why is this so hard to understand? why are you so hypocritical? suddenly whenever i want ANYTHING i am expecting the world to bend to MY needs? what about these fucking people who can't even be respectful of the fact that i have work to do? i'm not asking them to leave. you don't understand. they TALK. and it's not just like sentences. long drawn-out conversations. i sit there WAITING for them to stop talking for 15 minutes and they NEVER do. okay?

why is this so fucking hard to understand? you are such a stupid idiot. i know i should tell them i want quiet, but i'm a passive person and i don't want to be mean. you jerk. why don't you criticize me some more for wanting to get my work done without having to be exiled.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 11:19 AM
people are just inconsiderate. i'm fucking sick of you blaming other people's inconsiderateness on me. and expecting ME to bend and shape myself to other people. because i try as hard as i can to concentrate. generally if they're being loud and i have work to do i leave. but you know what? it never fucking helps. i never get ANYTHING done. i can't fucking concentrate. i don't know what you expect me to do about that. asshole. how about you think for a second before you make any stupid comments. my whole life all i've done is bend myself to OTHER people's will. you are such a pile of shit for accusing me of the opposite when i ask for what, a little quiet every once in awhile?

Samsa
11-20-2002, 11:20 AM
and yes, i am living in a single next year. i didn' task to have 2 roommates so don't fucking blame me.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 12:30 PM
No it isn't too much to ask, but you're not ASKING. You sound like you just drop little hints, and then try to give them the evil eye when they keep talking. Just walk up to them, and say 'hey guys, I *really* need to get this paper done today, and I'm going to need some quiet time.' And then let them either suggest they go away for a while, or reiterate how important it is. And if they still make noise no matter what you say, then they're obviously assholes and the only thing you can do is a) try to reason with them or b) find your own quiet space somewhere. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. You can either sit around angry at the injustice of it all, or prioritize and just get the essay out of the way before you deal with them. Stop being so passive.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:04 PM
No it isn't too much to ask, but you're not ASKING. You sound like you just drop little hints, and then try to give them the evil eye when they keep talking. Just walk up to them, and say 'hey guys, I *really* need to get this paper done today, and I'm going to need some quiet time.' And then let them either suggest they go away for a while, or reiterate how important it is. And if they still make noise no matter what you say, then they're obviously assholes and the only thing you can do is a) try to reason with them or b) find your own quiet space somewhere. You may not like it, but that's the way it is. You can either sit around angry at the injustice of it all, or prioritize and just get the essay out of the way before you deal with them. Stop being so passive.

excuse me, but didn't you just excuse me of expecting the world to bend to my will? do you understand how hypocritical you're being of on one side saying 'hey it's their room too and if they want to hang out with it they should, you shouldn't expect the world to bend to your will' and then on the other side say 'jeez you are way too passive why don't you say anything?'

do you not realize the fucking hypocrisy? maybe i don't say anything to them about it because i'm not going to tell them what they can and can't do in their own fucking room. but at the same time i'm not going to appreciate it if they don't independently on their own decide to be considerate of me. i'm not going to tell people what to do and at the same time i'm not going to appreciate it when they don't figure out what to do on their own damn self.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:08 PM
and i wasn't aware it was such a fucking crime to post on netphoria complainign about somehting. why don't you reply to every single thread on here about something that happened to someone that got on their nerves telling them what they should and shouldn't do with their own fucking lives. why do you hold me up to such high moral standards when i'm jsut doing what everybody else does -- complaining about something that pisses me off. are you that dense? am i not allowed to be annoyed by something now? suddenly when i post about something that bothers me i'm suddenly 'selfish' or 'way too passive' (somehow at the same time :confuse: )

you are a fucking jerk. why don't you just show me some sympathy for once instead of bossing around or accusing me of moral failures. i'm not asking you to fucking fix my problems. i can solve my problems by myself. i don't need anyone to fucking tell me what to do or how to fix things. i'm perfectly capable of evaluating situations by myself. all i'm asking for is sympathy or for someone to say 'yeah that sucks' but instead i geta w hole bunch of bossy people who DON'T know the situation, DON'T know my feelings or ********** or ANYTHING, telling me what to fucking do or why i'm wrong for reacting to something in a certain way. you are a fucking jerk. and your'e a bossy jerk. i don't need you to analyze the situation a=nd tell me what needs to be fixed. you think i'm so stupid i can't figure out by myself that i'm too passive or that people are allowed to do whatever they want whether or not it bothers me? are you that stupid? why do you feel the need to tell me shit i already know and act as if it's something new? id idn't post asking for help or advice. i posted because i was fucking pissed off. i don't need you to fucking order me around as if you know me better than i know myself. fuck you.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:10 PM
once again i will reiterate that netphoria is NOT real life and me posting something on here does not equate to my actions in real life. i am obviously not yelling at anyone or ordering them to shut up in real life. that's just stupid. yet you still feel the need to judge my actions on what i have to say about it on netphoria.

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 01:12 PM
lol

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Elvis The Fat Years
lol

oh fuck you. how about you try posting about something that bothers you and getting barraged with people telling you why you're so wrong for reacting in a certain way and having people suggest the same old stupid ways to fix the situation as if they don't realize that you're perfectly capable of self-reflection and rational thinking. it's fucking obnoxious.

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 01:18 PM

oh fuck you. how about you try posting about something that bothers you and getting barraged with people telling you why you're so wrong for reacting in a certain way and having people suggest the same old stupid ways to fix the situation as if they don't realize that you're perfectly capable of self-reflection and rational thinking. it's fucking obnoxious.

you need a shot of jack and a clit massage.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:23 PM

you need a shot of jack and a clit massage.

um not really. i need sleep and relaxation.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:23 PM
and don't you ever talk about my clit again or i'll sue you for sexual harrasment. you fucking pervert. if you ever say anything about massaging my clit i'll cut your balls off without hesitation.

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 01:25 PM
and don't you ever talk about my clit again or i'll sue you for sexual harrasment. you fucking pervert. if you ever say anything about massaging my clit i'll cut your balls off without hesitation.

kinky.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:27 PM
not kinky. you are disgusting. apparently you think the answer to everyone's problems is to touch them inappropriately without their consent. i know what my problem is. i got 3 hours of sleep last night and i have to write a history paper for friday. and i have to wake up early on saturday to go build houses or something. and i have to practice my cello like the devil for an orchestra concert on monday. and i don't know how i'll ever be able to do all this without dropping dead.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 01:29 PM
I was going to reply seriously, but this thread is getting too funny. Suze, you're getting like Mr Burns and his Spanish peanuts

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:29 PM
thanks Elvis, I was waiting for this thread to get funny.

oh, funny in that sexual preditor kind of way?

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:30 PM
I was going to reply seriously, but this thread is getting too funny. Suze, you're getting like Mr Burns and his Spanish peanuts

since i'm not a simpsons freak i don't know what the fuck you're talking about. but whatever. you do that. cover your ass. see if i fucking care.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 01:39 PM

since i'm not a simpsons freak i don't know what the fuck you're talking about. but whatever. you do that. cover your ass. see if i fucking care.

Ok, here it is, last try. I don't have any sympathy for people who are having a problem, but won't even try to do something about it. And who attack other people for suggesting they do so. It's not like this is a major thing, you're just telling people you live with to shut up. I mean what's next, a post about how your pen is 'over there on the table and I'm trying to write a letter, but I don't have my pen and it's over there, fuck my life sucks right now'?

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:45 PM

Ok, here it is, last try. I don't have any sympathy for people who are having a problem, but won't even try to do something about it. And who attack other people for suggesting they do so. It's not like this is a major thing, you're just telling people you live with to shut up. I mean what's next, a post about how your pen is 'over there on the table and I'm trying to write a letter, but I don't have my pen and it's over there, fuck my life sucks right now'?

once again, you're the one who accused me of expecting the world to bend to my will. and now you say you have no sympathy for me for NOT telling these people to shut up. just acknowledge your hypocrisy. either i'm 'selfish' or 'passive' right? there's no middle ground. i do try to do things about it. i put headphones on and played music really loud. i leave the room. i took a shower. i stayed up really late until they went to bed and i finished it. this worked. my paper is finished. wouldn't that equate to me actually doing something to help my situation?

so yeah. that pen analogy. you're a fucking idiot. if my pen is over there, i get my pen. if i need to do my paper, i do my paper. it's not like i didn't do my paper because my roommates wouldn't shut up. i finished my paper. maybe i finished it at 3 am but i still finished it. you are a fucking idiot. why don't you make more retarded analogies trying to imply that i'm petty and incapable of solving my own problems. this is what i keep telling you. i can solve my own problems. you idiot. i solved my problem. i wrote my paper. i seriously don't get how you don't realize this. i don't think you can accuse me of not trying to do anything to change my situation considering a) i have tried many different things and b) the end result is i finished my paper and my mom read it and says it's really good except maybe i use the passive voice too much in the beginning.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:47 PM
and i'm not attacking other people for suggesting ways to fix it. i'm attacking other people for giving me OBVIOUS UNHELPFUL SUGGESTIONS WHICH I HAVE ALREADY CONSIDERED BECAUSE I AM NOT STUPID AND UNLIKE YOUR LAST POST EXPLICITLY STATED IF I HAVE A PROBLEM I <I>ALWAYS</I> FIX IT. I AM ONE OF THE MOST EFFICIENT, COMPETENT PEOPLE I KNOW. IF YOU DON'T THINK I'M CAPABLE OF SOLVING MY PROBLEMS THEN YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID. BECAUSE THE FACT THAT MY PAPER IS FINISHED AHEAD OF SCHEDULE SORT OF PROVES THAT I AM CAPABLE OF SOLVING PROBLEMS. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOUR SUGGESTIONS WERE STUPID AND UNREALISTIC AND ILLOGICAL.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 01:49 PM
because seriously, don't you think that if it were as easy as simply 'going somewhere else' or 'telling my roommates to shut up' i would have done it already? your argument is self-defeating. you seem to believe that if people don't do something it's because they haven't thought of it. well maybe people don't do things because they HAVE thought of it or HAVE tried it and it hasn't helped so they're not going to do it anymore. and i have to go to class now.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 01:51 PM
i think he meant bend to your will automatically, without you even having to do anything about it.

Finally, someone actually reads what I typed

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 01:52 PM
my mom read it and says it's really good except maybe i use the passive voice too much in the beginning.

Looks like your mom and I agree!

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 01:56 PM

Finally, someone actually reads what I typed

it doesn't matter. she's still gonna argue. i think if you agreed with her she'd still argue with you. :p

Elvis The Fat Years
11-20-2002, 02:03 PM

that's why you should massage her clit.

im afraid it might start yelling at me.

Lie
11-20-2002, 02:30 PM

Well, last time I checked, assumed social anxiety was the default bio for Netphorians.

Seriously, though, obviously the situation couldn't be handled directly for whatever reason. She was just venting while keeping a cool head and a sense of humor about the whole thing. It didn't seem unreasonable at all, and everyone was joking around for most of the first page. But when you call someone on something that they've already chosen to overlook for their own reasons, especially if that reason also has a possible sensitivity factor, it can feel like a slap in the face. And this thread started out on such a good-natured path.

There was nothing wrong with what you said initially, but obviously it was something she was already aware of and there's no point in pressing it while dragging along the whole Suze flaming brigade after you.

Julian, Porn CONNOISSEUR
11-20-2002, 02:41 PM
<font size=2000> LOL LOL!!! </font>

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lie

Well, last time I checked, assumed social anxiety was the default bio for Netphorians.

Seriously, though, obviously the situation couldn't be handled directly for whatever reason. She was just venting while keeping a cool head and a sense of humor about the whole thing. It didn't seem unreasonable at all, and everyone was joking around for most of the first page. But when you call someone on something that they've already chosen to overlook for their own reasons, especially if that reason also has a possible sensitivity factor, it can feel like a slap in the face. And this thread started out on such a good-natured path.

There was nothing wrong with what you said initially, but obviously it was something she was already aware of and there's no point in pressing it while dragging along the whole Suze flaming brigade after you.

Yeah, but if she'd said that she feels anxious about asking them then that would be fine. But she's there desperately wanting to get this paper done, and instead of doing something about the situation she's venting on netphoria or bitching to her sister. It just sounds like a complete misdirection of energy. The thing is, she's in a sharing situation, which involves people making concessions to each other - and if she's being walked over, she needs to do something about it. What happens when it's the end of the year, and she has multiple deadlines competing for attention, and she can't get any peace? If she's this burned out now, she's going to feel much worse if that happens. I know she wants to be able to go on as she always has, in the right environment in her own time, but her situation's changed, and like it or not she's going to have to actively confront things. Some people aren't going to take quiet hints, and if you're stuck with these kinds of people then they're going to make you unhappy unless you do something about it. If you try to reason with them, and that doesn't work, then you have my sympathy.

And she may have been aware of it, but that doesn't mean the point shouldn't be reiterated

Lie
11-20-2002, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but if she'd said that she feels anxious about asking them then that would be fine. But she's there desperately wanting to get this paper done, and instead of doing something about the situation she's venting on netphoria or bitching to her sister. It just sounds like a complete misdirection of energy. The thing is, she's in a sharing situation, which involves people making concessions to each other - and if she's being walked over, she needs to do something about it. What happens when it's the end of the year, and she has multiple deadlines competing for attention, and she can't get any peace? If she's this burned out now, she's going to feel much worse if that happens. I know she wants to be able to go on as she always has, in the right environment in her own time, but her situation's changed, and like it or not she's going to have to actively confront things. Some people aren't going to take quiet hints, and if you're stuck with these kinds of people then they're going to make you unhappy unless you do something about it. If you try to reason with them, and that doesn't work, then you have my sympathy.

And she may have been aware of it, but that doesn't mean the point shouldn't be reiterated

It may very well be a misdirection of energy, but you can be sure that at least half of us on here right now are doing something very similar. This is where people come to talk about all the shit they should be doing that they're not, and being in a tense social situation is one of the few things that actually does get a good dose of sympathy and empathy here, normally. I mean, I just sort of <i>got</i> that from reading it, I just assumed that that's what was going on. I'm not saying your comment isn't valid, and I don't think she should have attacked you for making it, it just seemed a little bit out of place.

Lie
11-20-2002, 03:04 PM
I dunno, I mean part of the beauty of Netphoria is just that behind all the putting down and frivolous namecalling, in a strange way, it's a very non-judgemental place. No one's going to yell at you for not doing the dishes or mailing your bills and no one's going to say you're fucked up and need therapy unless they're purposely trying to piss you off. Little meaningless bits of sympathy and nothing more with the occasional flame are often what people are actually after.

I see your point and of course you were just stating the truth, but this thread lapsed into a Suze flame war in the most unlikely way I've ever witnessed, and it seemed like such a waste coming from someone like you who was actually well-meaning.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Lie
I dunno, I mean part of the beauty of Netphoria is just that behind all the putting down and frivolous namecalling, in a strange way, it's a very non-judgemental place. No one's going to yell at you for not doing the dishes or mailing your bills and no one's going to say you're fucked up and need therapy unless they're purposely trying to piss you off. Little meaningless bits of sympathy and nothing more with the occasional flame are often what people are actually after.

I see your point and of course you were just stating the truth, but this thread lapsed into a Suze flame war in the most unlikely way I've ever witnessed, and it seemed like such a waste coming from someone like you who was actually well-meaning.

I don't know if I'd call it a flamewar - there were people saying pretty much what I was, then me, and then Suze attacked me (mostly for something she misinterpreted me as saying) and then she started attacking people who were just trying to lighten the mood. Maybe the comment did seem out of place, but then I'm not getting a social-anxiety vibe here. If that's the case, I'm sorry, but my point still stands - she'll HAVE to do something, instead of relying on moments of peace here and there when people aren't in her room. I mean, if I didn't like her, I wouldn't care either way and so I wouldn't be trying to help. And whatever she might think, I'm not big on giving advice so I can feel great about how much more I know than the other person.

(This isn't actually all directed at you by the way - I'm using you as a conduit to direct this at Suze. Confusing :/)

Fattening Ass
11-20-2002, 03:53 PM
<font color=018f81>Suze cannot take constructive criticism. She doesn't take the time to slow down and actually try to interpret what you're saying, she reads it as she fits. No use in trying to suggest anything to her because according to her she's already thought of it, tried it, and it didn't work. When life throws her a bad apple she won't eat it, throw it away, or get rid of it somehow. She comes to netphoria to bitch about it.<bgsound src="http://soundamerica.com/sounds/cartoons/Peanuts/wahwah.wav" loop=5>

beef curtains
11-20-2002, 04:06 PM

excuse me, but didn't you just excuse me of expecting the world to bend to my will? do you understand how hypocritical you're being of on one side saying 'hey it's their room too and if they want to hang out with it they should, you shouldn't expect the world to bend to your will' and then on the other side say 'jeez you are way too passive why don't you say anything?'

do you not realize the fucking hypocrisy? maybe i don't say anything to them about it because i'm not going to tell them what they can and can't do in their own fucking room. but at the same time i'm not going to appreciate it if they don't independently on their own decide to be considerate of me. i'm not going to tell people what to do and at the same time i'm not going to appreciate it when they don't figure out what to do on their own damn self.

What he's saying, is you can't know how they'll react unless YOU ACTUALLY ASK THEM. its not hypocrasy...its the unknown, a theoretical situation of how they would react b/c you'd rather bitch about it online here instead of taking some control over your life and interacting with people.

scouse_dave
11-20-2002, 04:15 PM
i don't know....

jews...they're all the same...

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:49 PM
i think he meant bend to your will automatically, without you even having to do anything about it. like you expect people to read your mind and do what you want. i don't think it was implied that it was wrong for you to ask them to be quiet, just that it was dumb that you <i>expected</i> them to be quiet without saying anything.

did i ever say i expect them to be quiet? i don't expect them to be quiet at all. i stopped expecting them to be quiet a long time ago. the point isn't that i expect them to be quiet, the point is that they're NOT quiet and there isn't anything i can do about it and it bothers me (and no i am NOT going to hurt their feelings by telling them to be quiet)

obscured01
11-20-2002, 04:51 PM
<font color="#DAB9E8">why is everyone always being bitchy to each other and fighting? :(

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:52 PM
You shouldn't use passive voice <i>at all</i>.

i know i shouldn't :mad: i also should do my laundry :mad:

i have no underwear :mad:

lemme see what this passive voice is to which my mom is referring

yep :(

"they have at the same time been firmly upheld ..."

"and while many of their institutional faults have been gradually fixed..."

i think that's it though. but yeah my first two paragraphs are sorta akward

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:54 PM
They must be very emotionally fragile if their feelings are hurt by being asked to be quiet. I've been asked before because someone had some work to do and every time I've promptly said "Yeah, no problem" and either shut up or left the room. I doubt they'd think it's a big deal. Here's hoping they'd extend the same courtesy to you that you'd extend to them.

well i dunt wanna offend them i dunno. i just know that i'd word it badly or sound tense and annoyed when i say it. and besides as james said before :rolleyes: yet he doesn't seem to realize when applying to how annoyingly passive i am :rolleyes: it's there room too and i can't keep them from doing what they want to do.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:54 PM

im afraid it might start yelling at me.

stop talking about my clit. i'm serious.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by So very sad about me

What he's saying, is you can't know how they'll react unless YOU ACTUALLY ASK THEM. its not hypocrasy...its the unknown, a theoretical situation of how they would react b/c you'd rather bitch about it online here instead of taking some control over your life and interacting with people.

no. it's not social anxiety. i'm not scared to confront them. i just don't want to because i don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. i don't want them to think i'm mean. it's not *anxiety* it's just resolution to just put up with it without making them feel bad. and it DOES annoy me but just because it bothers me, that isn't any fucking reason for me to be mean to them about it. they can't help it if they talk all the fucking time and make noise. so i just stay awake until 5 am finishing my work and it works out more or less. thanksgiving is in a week and i'll have a week of vacation. james this IS the end of the year. if i'm as burnt out then as i am now? it IS the end of the year. after thanksgiving break i'll hardly have any work to do until finals and by then hopefully we'll all be studying or whatever. this is the crucial point.

Why Am I So Ugly?
11-20-2002, 04:59 PM

because it's netphoria and normal, rational human beings don't have their feelings hurt or get offended by arguing here, unlike in real life. it's a nice place to vent a little frustration by pissing someone else off without <i>really</i> pissing them off.

what a pretty dress you have on misses. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Samsa
11-20-2002, 05:01 PM
oh and i started flaming other people for no reason? how about i got offended when some creep started talking about molesting me.

scouse_dave
11-20-2002, 05:03 PM
to be fair, he never spoke to molestation

Fattening Ass
11-20-2002, 05:08 PM
:noway: <bgsound src="http://soundamerica.com/sounds/cartoons/Peanuts/wahwah.wav" loop=100>

Lie
11-20-2002, 05:25 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a flamewar - there were people saying pretty much what I was, then me, and then Suze attacked me (mostly for something she misinterpreted me as saying) and then she started attacking people who were just trying to lighten the mood. Maybe the comment did seem out of place, but then I'm not getting a social-anxiety vibe here. If that's the case, I'm sorry, but my point still stands - she'll HAVE to do something, instead of relying on moments of peace here and there when people aren't in her room. I mean, if I didn't like her, I wouldn't care either way and so I wouldn't be trying to help. And whatever she might think, I'm not big on giving advice so I can feel great about how much more I know than the other person.

(This isn't actually all directed at you by the way - I'm using you as a conduit to direct this at Suze. Confusing :/)

Yeah, it is. Let's get out of here before this place blows to kingdom come.

BlueStar
11-20-2002, 05:51 PM
I've always had problems speaking up too (especially when it comes to things like roommates). Suze, have you thought about going to the RA and asking to have a meeting with the RA and you and your roommates? So the RA can act as a mediation person and help ya'll reach an agreeable solution. It couldn't hurt to try...and there's still a long time to go until the school year is over.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BlueStar
I've always had problems speaking up too (especially when it comes to things like roommates). Suze, have you thought about going to the RA and asking to have a meeting with the RA and you and your roommates? So the RA can act as a mediation person and help ya'll reach an agreeable solution. It couldn't hurt to try...and there's still a long time to go until the school year is over.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 06:05 PM

well i dunt wanna offend them i dunno. i just know that i'd word it badly or sound tense and annoyed when i say it. and besides as james said before :rolleyes: yet he doesn't seem to realize when applying to how annoyingly passive i am :rolleyes: it's there room too and i can't keep them from doing what they want to do.

But this is exactly what I was saying. It's their room and they're entitled to use it as they like. However, it's also your room, and hopefully they'll extend the same courtesy to you if you'd just *ask* them to be quiet or leave for a bit. If they're talking and you're working away without mentioning anything, they'll think everything's fine. Trust me. There's no way you're going to hurt their feelings by asking for some quiet time to get a paper done. Even a hint, like 'Hey are you guys out today? Because I have this paper I need to do...' If you ask, and they keep it up, then at least you tried. Until you say something, they probably have no idea they're distracting you.

*leaves on Elisabeth's rocketship*
So long as we're not going past Neptune :(

Lie
11-20-2002, 06:07 PM
But this is exactly what I was saying. It's their room and they're entitled to use it as they like. However, it's also your room, and hopefully they'll extend the same courtesy to you if you'd just *ask* them to be quiet or leave for a bit. If they're talking and you're working away without mentioning anything, they'll think everything's fine. Trust me. There's no way you're going to hurt their feelings by asking for some quiet time to get a paper done. Even a hint, like 'Hey are you guys out today? Because I have this paper I need to do...' If you ask, and they keep it up, then at least you tried. Until you say something, they probably have no idea they're distracting you.

I'm afraid there's nothing to go past. :D

Samsa
11-20-2002, 06:10 PM

no. they'll think i'm neurotic and uptight. they probably already do. i'm not goign to tell them to shut up and i don't see why you care so much.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Lie

I'm afraid there's nothing to go past. :D

That's what I meant! *cries*

Who'd have thought space could feel so empty :(

beef curtains
11-20-2002, 06:17 PM

no. it's not social anxiety. i'm not scared to confront them. i just don't want to because i don't want to make them feel uncomfortable. i don't want them to think i'm mean. it's not *anxiety* it's just resolution to just put up with it without making them feel bad. and it DOES annoy me but just because it bothers me, that isn't any fucking reason for me to be mean to them about it. they can't help it if they talk all the fucking time and make noise. so i just stay awake until 5 am finishing my work and it works out more or less. thanksgiving is in a week and i'll have a week of vacation. james this IS the end of the year. if i'm as burnt out then as i am now? it IS the end of the year. after thanksgiving break i'll hardly have any work to do until finals and by then hopefully we'll all be studying or whatever. this is the crucial point.

ms queen of "that is not what i was talking about JESUSFUCK WHY would you fucking assume that" i never mentioned social anxiety.
there are ways to ask and not make people feel uncomfortable either. you don't have to be mean, if you ask nicely and don't get upset. you live there and have as much of a right as they do too

Lie
11-20-2002, 06:19 PM

ms queen of "that is not what i was talking about JESUSFUCK WHY would you fucking assume that" i never mentioned social anxiety.
there are ways to ask and not make people feel uncomfortable either. you don't have to be mean, if you ask nicely and don't get upset. you live there and have as much of a right as they do too

I was the one who mentioned social anxiety. It's I who deserves to be tortured. Just take me now.

*rips shirt open*

Lie
11-20-2002, 06:19 PM

That's what I meant! *cries*

Who'd have thought space could feel so empty :(

I hear black holes can be quite cozy.

Samsa
11-20-2002, 06:22 PM

hm but someone else did. jee you're smart.

i don't fucking care if there are ways to ask and not make people feel uncomfortable. i don't want to try. i don't want to hurt their feelings. stop trying to argue with me you stupid bitch. you're not going to change my mind. that's just how i am. you're not going to change it with your petty remarks.

DeviousJ
11-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Lie

I hear black holes can be quite cozy.

*surfs the event horizon*