View Full Version : stupid political correctness can suck nuts

Ugly
07-19-2004, 01:44 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/19/arnold.girlie.ap/index.html

<B>Schwarzenegger's 'girlie men' line under fire
California governor mocks some Democrats</B>

<I>
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Democrats aren't amused by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's use of the mocking term "girlie men" to describe some lawmakers, although a spokesman for the governor said no apology would be forthcoming.

Schwarzenegger dished out the insult at a rally Saturday as he claimed Democrats were delaying the budget by catering to special interests. Democrats protested that the remark was sexist and homophobic.

"If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don't have the guts, I call them girlie men," Schwarzenegger said to the cheering crowd at a mall food court in Ontario.

The governor lifted the term from a long-running "Saturday Night Live" skit in which two pompous, Schwarzenegger-worshipping weightlifters repeatedly use it to mock those who don't meet their standards of physical perfection.

Democrats said Schwarzenegger's remarks were insulting to women and gays and distracted from budget negotiations. State Sen. Sheila Kuehl said the governor had resorted to "blatant homophobia."

"It uses an image that is associated with gay men in an insulting way, and it was supposed to be an insult. That's very troubling that he would use such a homophobic way of trying to put down legislative leadership," said Kuehl, one of five members of the Legislature's five-member Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus.

Schwarzenegger's criticism of Democrats stems in part from their support of one bill prohibiting schools from contracting services with private companies, and another giving workers authority to sue their employers to enforce labor laws. Each side accuses the other of caving in to special interests.

At a rally Sunday in Stockton, the governor gave a speech almost identical to the one he delivered in Ontario but without the "girlie men" remark. Spokesman Rob Stutzman said the line was dropped because Schwarzenegger had already sent the message he wanted to send, not because he regretted his remarks.

"It's a forceful way of making the point to regular Californians that legislators are wimps when they let special interests push them around," Stutzman said. "If they complain too much about this, I guess they're making the governor's point."

Assemblyman Mark Leno, a San Francisco Democrat who is chairman of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Caucus, said he was glad Schwarzenegger didn't repeat the "girlie men" remark Sunday, saying it was "as misogynist as it is anti-gay."

"To disparage a group of law abiding tax paying citizens is just wrong," Leno said.

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nunez, a Democrat, said that while he wasn't upset by the remark, his 13-year-old daughter was.

"She's a young girl who knows the governor and really likes him a lot and didn't find the term to be a positive term, and finds it to be derogatory," Nunez said. "It was no question a very, very insensitive comment to make. I personally am not intimidated or threatened by it, but I think it really is beneath Gov. Schwarzenegger."</I>

----

anyone who is offended by the term "Girlie Men" needs to be shot out of a cannon into the sun. Stupid people.

machinaddict
07-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Is there a video and/or audio of this yet?

BeautifulLoser
07-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by machinaddict
Is there a video and/or audio of this yet? They're playing it on CNN Headline News... it's pretty funny.

It looked like he was kinda mocking himself to me... to get a laugh and get his point across.

He's definitely got the spotlight for saying it.

Ghetto_Squirrel
07-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Apparently he thought that his image as a arrogant bodybuilder hadn't bloated his machismo enough.

sleeper
07-19-2004, 07:39 PM
its this kinda shit though that gives dems a bad name. it just reaffirms the preception of democrats being the gutless, soft, unresolved people they sometimes are. i think being PC in general is so fringe right now. and it should be. its funny because all this does is prove arnold right. hes a boob though for saying it, but the democrats reacted all wrong

DeviousJ
07-19-2004, 08:18 PM
I just hate how his opponents tried to turn it into to some anti-gay, hate crime bullshit.

BeautifulLoser
07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
I just hate how his opponents tried to turn it into to some anti-gay, hate crime bullshit. Yeah. By calling it "anti-gay", aren't they themselves calling gay people "girly men"? Because Arnold in no way implied gay...

Marginalia
07-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
Apparently he thought that his image as a arrogant bodybuilder hadn't bloated his machismo enough.

Exactly. PC is mostly nonsense. There are much bigger, more important things to argue about.

Nimrod's Son
07-20-2004, 07:57 PM
How is that "homophobic"? I didn't realize "girlie man" was slang for fudge packer.

homechicago
07-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by sleeper
its this kinda shit though that gives dems a bad name. it just reaffirms the preception of democrats being the gutless, soft, unresolved people they sometimes are. i think being PC in general is so fringe right now. and it should be. its funny because all this does is prove arnold right. hes a boob though for saying it, but the democrats reacted all wrong

agreed. i'm tired of people blowing STUPID crap out of proportion. democrats are attacked all the time and THIS is what they choose to take offense to? idiots. get mad about the sandy berger rumor mill that is inferring he destroyed documents when in fact the missing COPIES he has are cited in the commission report. he's a tool for losing copies, and that is huge, and perhaps he'll face some charges, fine, but the "facts" being presented on fox "he stuffed papers in his socks" (which, by the by has NO credible evidence) aren't mentioning that he didn't destroy originals that no one will ever see. it's copies that have passed through many security officials hands. but then again, perhaps nothing will happen to him, which would be the same as what happened to the cia leakers.

washington is full of elephant and donkey crap.

sleeper
07-20-2004, 11:03 PM
i was just imagining how cool it would have been if the dems told him to shut up or replied with a fun zing of some sort. in a way, something like that could have even been good political strategy, considering how tired everyone is with this fake-outrage PC garbage. all i know is their currect strategy is shit and theyve totally failed to control anything to do with PR for years

homechicago
07-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by sleeper
i was just imagining how cool it would have been if the dems told him to shut up or replied with a fun zing of some sort. in a way, something like that could have even been good political strategy, considering how tired everyone is with this fake-outrage PC garbage. all i know is their currect strategy is shit and theyve totally failed to control anything to do with PR for years

seriously, what's wrong with the dems? how many failures must they face before they get it?

Ugly
07-21-2004, 08:45 PM
I think the Democrats should have just said? "Yeah, Arnie? Well come November the Democrats are going to THROW" (clap!) "YOU OUT!"

But, you know, that would be too cool for any politican. That and also it doesn't really make sense, but hey...

ZackZ
07-22-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
How is that "homophobic"? I didn't realize "girlie man" was slang for fudge packer.

:rofl:

It's actually a reference to Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon's "I Want to Pump You Up" sketch from SNL where they called everyone "girlie men." I think they referenced that in the CNN article.

People are insulting gays by associating the phrase with them, and, until a woman can beat Arnold in a arm wrestling contest, I think it's a perfectly legit thing to say.