View Full Version : the fiery furnaces - blueberry boat

greymedallia
07-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Has anyone heard this? I usually take pitchfork's reviews lightly, but the more reliable allmusic seemed to largely agree with the 9.6 score pitchfork awarded it.

strange_one
07-14-2004, 10:11 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I've listened through it only once and it's definitely great in places. I don't know, needs a few more spins before I form an opinion</font>

Mayfuck
07-15-2004, 12:54 AM
The 9.6 isn't warranted. That's sort of a hype rating cause Pitchfork is trying to sell the band since nothing truly spectacular has been released so far this year.. But it's still really good. I've listened to it a few times and I really want to get into it. There's a lot of things going on in that album. It's a fun listen. I'd give it an 8.9 or something.

Nothing/everything
07-15-2004, 02:13 AM
It's on the to download list for upcoming weekend. I enjoyed Gallowbird's bark quite a bit, according to the reviews i've read this should be excellent.

GlasgowKiss
07-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by **********
my friend chris from work told me about them like 3 months ago, i downloaded it, listened to one song and threw it away.

it was interesting, but i think i was in some other mindset to actually enjoy it.

i'll try to give it another chance now.

Drunk after a club slumped in front of MTV2 at 3:30am watching the 'Tropical Ice-Land' video did it for me.

strange_one
07-15-2004, 11:28 AM
<font color=33FFFF> I just love the first track's ambition and length</font>

strange_one
07-15-2004, 11:31 AM
<font color=33FFFF> and I'll just add that I'm jealous my gf is seeing them perform in support of Franz Ferdinand in a few weeks - which is sold out. I had no idea who Fiery Furnaces were when the show was announced</font>

Echorun
07-15-2004, 11:57 AM
I don't know anything about them (other than the PF and allmusic reviews). What are they like?

piano man
07-15-2004, 07:47 PM
i saw them with the unicorns a few weeks ago and they were fantastic. they played for at least 45 minutes without stopping, which was pretty amazing. their keyboardist/guitarist was awesome.

DeadSwan
07-15-2004, 08:25 PM
i downloaded it a few months ago and haven't really listened to it since then. i guess i should give it another try...

Irrelevant
07-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
The 9.6 isn't warranted. That's sort of a hype rating cause Pitchfork is trying to sell the band since nothing truly spectacular has been released so far this year.. But it's still really good. I've listened to it a few times and I really want to get into it. There's a lot of things going on in that album. It's a fun listen. I'd give it an 8.9 or something.

yeah, even i like it. and i hate everything that has songs. overhyped, sure, but for the genre they're spectacular.

Lie
07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by strange_one
<font color=33FFFF> and I'll just add that I'm jealous my gf is seeing them perform in support of Franz Ferdinand in a few weeks - which is sold out. I had no idea who Fiery Furnaces were when the show was announced</font>

Ha, imagine going to a show to see Franz Ferdinand and being confronted with...well, that.

sleeper
07-19-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by strange_one
<font color=33FFFF> I just love the first track's ambition and length</font>

yeah i respected that as well.

overall, the album could go either way. at times its really clever and new and at other times its just lazy and irritating. sounds whack but so many times irritating is actually a good quality, or is the initial reaction to something that is really new. it definately will take some more listens. but its still probably one of those albums you edit down on your ipod or whatever and dont ever edit back up

Octopus Jar
07-19-2004, 08:23 PM
i like it

for the most part

Debaser
07-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Echorun
I don't know anything about them (other than the PF and allmusic reviews). What are they like?

their albums sound like soundtracks to musicals. rock opera?

bloop
07-20-2004, 08:34 PM
9.6 sounds about right, but give me a month with it.