View Full Version : Grammar Help!

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 10:20 PM
For this paper I read the collection of essays by Rosalind Krauss titled Bachelors (1999, MIT press). In these the art historian covers diverse ground: beginning with an introduction including works and analysis of Dora Maar, Claude Cahun, Hans Bellmer, Constantin Brancusi, Alberto Giocometti and the poet/author Georges Bataille, followed by treatments on Louise Bourgeois, Agnes Martin, Cindy Sherman, Francesca Woodman, Sherrie Levine and Louise Lawler.

colon or semi-colon?

lucky_13
11-17-2002, 10:27 PM
after ground? semi-colon.

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 10:29 PM
that's what i'm thinking.

peabody
11-17-2002, 10:38 PM
semi.

tear stained glass
11-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by peabody
semi. I get a semi just thinking about combining sentences!

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tear stained glass
I get a semi just thinking about combining sentences!
:eek:

smiling politely
11-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Just a semicolon wouldn't work the way it's written, because "beginning" and "followed" are dangling participles or something - you don't specify what's beginning or followed.

It should be something like "the historian covers diverse ground: she begins with an introduction . . . and follows with treatments. . ."

The problem isn't whether it's a colon or semicolon (it should be a colon, by the way) it's with the "beginning" and "followed."

smiling politely
11-17-2002, 11:01 PM
Or you could forget what I just wrote and use a comma after "ground", and replace "followed by" with "and following with".

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by smiling politely
Just a semicolon wouldn't work the way it's written, because "beginning" and "followed" are dangling participles or something - you don't specify what's beginning or followed.

It should be something like "the historian covers diverse ground: she begins with an introduction . . . and follows with treatments. . ."

The problem isn't whether it's a colon or semicolon (it should be a colon, by the way) it's with the "beginning" and "followed."

ok, but beginning and followed by relate to the art historian covering diverse ground in her essays. i don't see how they're dangling....

smiling politely
11-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled

ok, but beginning and followed by relate to the art historian covering diverse ground in her essays. i don't see how they're dangling....

There's no subject to it. The part after the colon needs to a complete sentence on its own (or a list) and saying "beginning with this, this, and this" isn't a sentence. You need a subject. Or just get rid of the "beginning" and "followed" entirely, and just list off the artists.

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 11:13 PM

There's no subject to it. The part after the colon needs to a complete sentence on its own (or a list) and saying "beginning with this, this, and this" isn't a sentence. You need a subject. Or just get rid of the "beginning" and "followed" entirely, and just list off the artists.

hmm. ok. thanks

smiling politely
11-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Anything to get out of doing my own work.

frail_and_bedazzled
11-17-2002, 11:18 PM

sawdust restaurants
11-18-2002, 12:19 AM

You completely covered everything I was going to say. Good work.