View Full Version : I swear to God, you must all go fucking listen to the pAper chAse

soniclovenoize
06-28-2004, 02:53 AM
No, really. Think Fugazi meets Ben Fold Five. Or maybe an evil, psychotic Flaming Lips. Go check out their new record God Bless Your Black Heart... It's out on Kill Rock Stars.

If you must, download these for a sample of the new record:
- One Day He Went Out For Milk And Never Came Home
- What I'd Be Without Me

Other shit to download from their previous records...
From Hide The Kitchen Knives:
- I Know Where Those Hands Have Been
- A Little Place Called Trust
From the Cntrl-Alt-Del-U EP:
- Press Any Key To Continue (parts 1, 2, and 3)
- How Can Deny How Delicious It Tastes?
From Young Bodies Heal Quickly:
- Ever Since The Turn
- When (And If) The Big One Hits, I'll Just Meet You There

Nothing/everything
06-28-2004, 03:19 AM
i agree with this post, they're awesome. I've seen them live once, impressive show.

Egadsman
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Here's a link to a place that has their entire "Young Bodies Heal Quickly, You Know" album for download as well as a couple rare releases (I'm finding that all their releases are rare, to some extent). They are a truely remarkable band, and it suprised the hell out of me to see how small a crowd they were playing to (and without any detectable sarcasm they thanked last night's 30 people for being the best crowd they had had in DC yet)

the pAper chAse downloads (http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/pAper_chAse,_the_the_paperchase/comments-1.html)

It's the kind of album to be heard from begining to end. All of their albums have sort of this stream of conciousness repeating theme element to them. Concept albums without really being concept albums. No breaks between songs either, so I'm not sure MP3 is the best way to hear them for the first time, but it's better than passing them by.

Off to go e-mail Pitchfork and find out why those conceited bastards are too good to review the new album.

soniclovenoize
06-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Egadsman

It's the kind of album to be heard from begining to end. All of their albums have sort of this stream of conciousness repeating theme element to them. Concept albums without really being concept albums. No breaks between songs either, so I'm not sure MP3 is the best way to hear them for the first time, but it's better than passing them by.

Actually, correction... ALL of their records ARE concept records. It's just the concepts are a bit hard to figure out. It seems John Congleton kind of gave up explaining...

Young Bodies Heal Quickly... I remember reading an old interview around the time the album came out about the concept, but I since can't find it. It was on their old, OLD website. I can't remember what it was exactly, but the album is completely autobiographical, is about John's panic attacks and something to do with all the pain of a human soul in one song, and that song would in effect kill you and be the last song you ever hear (or something to that extent

Cntr-Alt-Del-U, as explained in the liner notes, is written as a conversation piece about the downfall of humanity and the natural world due to computers and the modern world. The songs lyrics are written as a conversation between the scientist and God himself (subject 1 and 2 in the lyrics). John never mentions that one of the subjects is God because he didn't want people thinking it's a religious album. The EP was also supposed to be a soundtrack, but the filmmakers never actually finished it.

Hide The Kitchen Knives is about two ideas and how they tie together in the context of a twisted relationship:
1. How things are not what they seem, and that something innocent can become deadly. The metaphor used throughout the album is a kitchen knife: it seems ordinary, but it can become deadly when in the wrong hands.
2. The appendages operating independently of the mind and body... specifically ones hands acting against ones own wishes.
The overture of the album--which was the first song written and was kind of the backbone of the album, was I Did A Terrible Thing. The song was written loosely about a dream that Congleton had in which he was at a camp and everyone he ever knew in his life were sleeping in hundreds of tents around him. He woke up at night, snuck out of his tent, and killed them all in their sleep.

I honestly haven't deciphered, asked John, or read what God Bless Your Black Heart is about. All I know is that it's less autobiographical than the previous releases and it has a more upbeat, hopeful ending. If anyone can link me to an interview, I’d be much appreciated.

spa ced
06-29-2004, 04:21 PM
They make me proud of Texas and what it has to offer.
They put on a great live show.

Sapphire
06-29-2004, 07:30 PM
I really liked "If and when the big one hits, I'll just meet you there."

That is really catchy. I think I'll and find the rest of their material now. Hopefully it's as odd and catchy as If and when was.

bowmaan
07-01-2004, 02:11 AM
i like people that like the pAper chAse. we've had this discussion long before, but with the new record finally being out, i cant stress it more.

love this band love this band love this band

also-- love 90 day men.

Egadsman
07-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by soniclovenoize

Actually, correction... ALL of their records ARE concept records. It's just the concepts are a bit hard to figure out.

Well, it was probably pretty obvious, but the idea of 'concept albums' rubs me the wrong way. I automatically think of things like "Kilroy Was Here" and Prog Rock Epics. *shudders*

Oh, on a side note, a ratehr developed idea video for "A Little Place Called Trust" came to me the other day, and the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I think, eventually, I'm going to film it. I just need to get through with my plans on getting that damn camera.

And, Spaced: Have you been able to catch any of their acoustic shows? When I talked to John, he said they only did those within the boundries of Texas, due to financial reasons. I was rather curious how those were. It sounded like they have real potential. (And if you haven't seen one, John was talking about a string of them coming up.)

spa ced
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Egadsman

And, Spaced: Have you been able to catch any of their acoustic shows? When I talked to John, he said they only did those within the boundries of Texas, due to financial reasons. I was rather curious how those were. It sounded like they have real potential. (And if you haven't seen one, John was talking about a string of them coming up.)

No I sure haven't.
That'd be really interesting though.
I'll look out for that.

The Gaddrow
07-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by spa ced
They make me proud of Texas and what it has to offer.
They put on a great live show. Well, based on this post, I will be buying this cd this weekend. Thank you once again, spa ced.

Eulogy
07-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I downloaded two of those songs....they didn't do all that much for me....but I suppose they interested me enough to the point where I might download some more.

hm.

Injektilo
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I just downloaded Hide the Kitchen Knives, and I'm very impressed. This is some great stuff, is there any special place i should buy it from ? (ie cheapest, so the band gets the biggest cut, etc).

Egadsman
07-13-2004, 11:55 AM
It makes me wonder why they don't have a store on their website, but their do have a couple links to labels that sell the album at the most reasonable price outside their shows (at the shows their $10, if you'd like to wait). I'd go there the pAper chAse (http://www.thepaperchaseband.com)

Ugly
07-13-2004, 07:13 PM
so checking out the first two tracks -

#1 - this may be the last song you will ever hear

Terrible self indulgent pusdeo-headtrip crap. horrifically bad. My ears, they burn.

#2 - These things happen.

This I like better if you're gonna do something trippy. nice riff. Cool use of voices. I like when it kicks in. Its like an audio trainwreck. I kinda dig the insanity of it all. Good guitar riff at the end. Me likey.

I think I'll give the other tracks a shot.

Ugly
07-13-2004, 07:31 PM
"Ever since the turn" is badass.

Injektilo
07-13-2004, 11:40 PM
these guys are fucking insane. i listened to this album (burned myself a copy) 5 times today while driving around, i got alot of wierd looks from other drivers. I was totally :rockon:

soniclovenoize
07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Good to see this thread still alive...

I_was_aborted
07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
I gave most of those songs a listen. Dudes can't sing for shit. I'm not a fan.

Egadsman
07-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted
I gave most of those songs a listen. Dudes can't sing for shit. I'm not a fan.

Man, that's half the fun.

Thad
07-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by spa ced

No I sure haven't.
That'd be really interesting though.
I'll look out for that.

I think they play Emo's soon.

Egadsman
07-16-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Thad

I think they play Emo's soon.

I don't know why it took this long to think this, but someone should record this or any of their other acoustic shows. Actually, what would be really cool would be to get video of their shows. Half of the power of them is in the presentation.