View Full Version : recommend me some good existential literature.

phaedrus
05-13-2004, 08:12 PM
i'm all read up on Camus and i rather enjoy another novel i read a while back called A Sheltering Sky. i need more.

Never Nohen
05-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Do you want like, novels or theory? I read Sartre's <i>Existentialism & Humanism</i> a while ago and really enjoyed it. It's also a quick read, 'cause it's only like 80 pages long.

I'm not that well versed in novel type stuff though, aside from Camus. I guess you could hit up <i>Thus Spake Zarathustra</i>. Nietzche's sort of proto-Existential.

Sorry I'm not much help. :(

sleeper
05-13-2004, 08:24 PM
most of my favourite books end up having existential values or written by existentialist authors. only after reading and liking them did i realize they all had something in common.
id recommend above all, one of my favourites; candide by voltaire. make sure you get the good version. theyre are a few enlgish translated version and only one of them is really good. the others do it no justice

Axis of Action
05-13-2004, 08:25 PM
good idea for a thread! based off of last night, I trust. ;)

I said I was gonna go to the bookstore today but I totally lied. Hopefully I'll go tomorrow. I wanna pick up some stuff by Voltaire and T.S. Eliot, plus whatever else may be suggested in here.

peabody
05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
if you're into some feminist existential stuff read The Second Sex by Beauvoir. and for more novel type stuff...it's not really existential, but could be considered it KINDA, you could read lots of the stories that Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote...all feminist and such.

phaedrus
05-13-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Sehki
good idea for a thread! based off of last night, I trust. ;)

I said I was gonna go to the bookstore today but I totally lied. Hopefully I'll go tomorrow. I wanna pick up some stuff by Voltaire and T.S. Eliot, plus whatever else may be suggested in here.
you bet. i've just been thinking more about this stuff again. running into my old philosophy teacher (also my favorite teacher ever) the other day also helped. we chatted for quite a while. he sounded disappointed when i told him i was in environmental engineering. he was ecstatic about seeing me riding my mountain bike though (he's big into road/distance biking).

i'll have to pick up some voltaire by the sounds of it. i've read a bit of sartre though...

peabody
05-13-2004, 08:40 PM
i took a class that was even titled "existential philosophy and society blah blah.."

and we read...Mill, Plato, Gilman, and Beauvoir.

wtf.

1/4 isn't bad, i guess.

Meursault
05-13-2004, 09:43 PM
try Dostoyevsky if you havent read him. Crime and Punishment reads like an existentialism textbook in places, and Notes from the Underground is considered one of the best sketches of an existential character

for more contemporary existential lit, i don't think Palahniuk can be beat. he doesnt really have anything new to say, but the themes are presented in a really entertaining manner

and its not for everyone, but i enjoyed thumbing through Nietzsche's The Gay Science. kind of a nice nighttable book