View Full Version : Boxed Mellon Collie?

VoxUpDoc
05-08-2004, 05:19 AM
Was there a limited edition boxed Mellon Collie in the UK? I ask because I seem to remember seeing such a thing a few months before I got into the Pumpkins and when I went to get the boxed version from my local HMV it had gone (so had the Lull and the Peel Sessions cd I had seen just weeks earlier)

Just-a-wonderin'...

Isle
05-08-2004, 05:39 AM
i've never heard of it...what exactly do you mean by boxed? i've seen some albums come in a card sleeve (like Feeder's Comfort In Sound), so maybe there is a limited edition bunch of those somewhere out there, but otherwise i've got no idea.

mydogrocks
05-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Are you talking about "The Aeroplane Flies High" box set?

That was a collection of MCIS singles and B-sides.

It was similar to what PI was for SD & Gish...but not exactly.

It came in box that was suppose to resemble an old 45 RPM record carry case. The bottom of the box had a black and white bullseye pattern.

I think you should still be able to pick one up.

Rider
05-08-2004, 04:53 PM
HE's talking about thelimited edition version of MCIS that came in a wooden box.

Netphorian Gadabout
05-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Rider
HE's talking about thelimited edition version of MCIS that came in a wooden box. Are you sure? I think you're confusing it with SD.

Rider
05-08-2004, 05:25 PM
yeah your right maybe that was SD. been so long cant keep track of this stuff.

MstrGhost
05-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Woody
Was there a limited edition boxed Mellon Collie in the UK? I ask because I seem to remember seeing such a thing a few months before I got into the Pumpkins and when I went to get the boxed version from my local HMV it had gone (so had the Lull and the Peel Sessions cd I had seen just weeks earlier)

Just-a-wonderin'...

There are two boxes, as stated before, aeroplane flies high (with 5 mcis ep's, mostly cd1+cd2 versions of singles in regular "tall" boxes, being bullet a new cd with covers unlike the 2 track single in slimbox) in a black/white swirls box and aeroplance flies lower with singles from SD (except for rocket), lull and peel s in a black box. This last one wasn't a virgin release, but it was a licensed one that emerged on large music stores too. For limited album boxes, there was the mentioned SD hand painted wooden box wich was easy to find bootleged in ebay :p .

Richard D. James
05-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

There are two boxes, as stated before, aeroplane flies high (with 5 mcis ep's, mostly cd1+cd2 versions of singles in regular "tall" boxes, being bullet a new cd with covers unlike the 2 track single in slimbox) in a black/white swirls box and aeroplance flies lower with singles from SD (except for rocket), lull and peel s in a black box. This last one wasn't a virgin release, but it was a licensed one that emerged on large music stores too. For limited album boxes, there was the mentioned SD hand painted wooden box wich was easy to find bootleged in ebay :p .

Don't forget about "The Box." The never seen box...the box I would love to find....

-GK

dean moriaty
05-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Richard D. James

Don't forget about "The Box." The never seen box...the box I would love to find....

-GK

i'd love to find out about this too. and just this second an idea hit me. they were given out to record stores. should be easy enough to work out which independant shope they went to shouldn't it? chances are there'll be mostly still open and the owner / long time employess might remember who they went to, with sp getting so big it would stick in the memory. they'll have addresses for ex-employees. they'll no doubt be out of date but there could be a paper trail. a lot of work but i'd do it if i lived in chi town.

on that note i'm 90% sure i'm making an sp pilgrimage to chicago this summer. got a few things i want to do / people to talk to / places to go. i will be sure to try and meet up with a few of you collectors and hopefully an old timer or two. more on that nearer the time but plans are coming along ;)

Richard D. James
05-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by dean moriaty

i'd love to find out about this too. and just this second an idea hit me. they were given out to record stores. should be easy enough to work out which independant shope they went to shouldn't it? chances are there'll be mostly still open and the owner / long time employess might remember who they went to, with sp getting so big it would stick in the memory. they'll have addresses for ex-employees. they'll no doubt be out of date but there could be a paper trail. a lot of work but i'd do it if i lived in chi town.

on that note i'm 90% sure i'm making an sp pilgrimage to chicago this summer. got a few things i want to do / people to talk to / places to go. i will be sure to try and meet up with a few of you collectors and hopefully an old timer or two. more on that nearer the time but plans are coming along ;)

Sounds like a great idea, but that is a total long shot. Seriously, most of those record stores are gone, plus, do you know how many record stores there are in Chicago? As I said before, I met a guy who saw them all on a table at a Caroline booth at a record show...or was it some outside festival...eh, I don't remember. I am just envisioning a box with a lot of sparkles and puffy paint. Now THAT would be a find...less of those than Machina II.

-GK

dean moriaty
05-08-2004, 09:21 PM
i remember hearing something about an outside festival... but that was years back.

maybe it's still in the trade board somewhere

MstrGhost
05-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Richard D. James

-GK

I bow for my ignorance as I don't know about "The Box". Now I'm curious too.

C33
05-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

I bow for my ignorance as I don't know about "The Box". Now I'm curious too.
http://spfc.org/songs-releases/discog.html?discog_id=32

this one, right?

dean moriaty
05-09-2004, 12:10 PM
yep, thats the monkey

Egadsman
05-09-2004, 09:03 PM
A picture is too much to ask, isn't it?

Datura
05-14-2004, 10:13 AM
there's never been a MCIS box set,although a very rare box set called "the box (http://spfc.org/songs-releases/discog.html?discog_id=32)"'s been released a long time ago.I myself tried to find it but never managed to get my hands on one.

so that must be it.

-cnsn

RopeyLopey
05-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by dean moriaty

too bad you don't study film or something. this could be an interesting documentary - like what's being left and what's forgotten and lost forever after 4 years. You know a lot, I bet a lot of people will be willing to talk to you, a possible climax could be a meeting with the One himself etc.

barden
05-14-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mydogrocks
Are you talking about "The Aeroplane Flies High" box set?

That was a collection of MCIS singles and B-sides.

It was similar to what PI was for SD & Gish...but not exactly.

It came in box that was suppose to resemble an old 45 RPM record carry case. The bottom of the box had a black and white bullseye pattern.

I think you should still be able to pick one up.

Jesus Christ. People still need clarity on details like that here?

My My, fans how you've lost yourselves!

The Gaddrow
05-14-2004, 11:41 AM
I believe Agnew has a photo of Box.

Someone does, I've seen it before.

Richard D. James
05-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow

This would be something awesome...I didn't even know a picture existed. I wondered how it got listed on spfc.

-GK

VoxUpDoc
05-14-2004, 02:55 PM
No, you're not getting what I mean.

It was MellonCollie & the Infinite Sadness. (FFS I know what TAFH is!)

Instead of the standard cd case, it was a carboard box with the artwork on, sealed, presumably with the standard case inside it. You know like how Feeder have cardboard sleeves. It was that kind of thing. Although I think it was an entire box rather than a sleeve. I am 99.9% certain I wasn't imagining this.

Junebug
05-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow

so what does it look like?

Endless Whining
05-16-2004, 04:46 AM
I don't know if Eric has a picture of this particular box set.
However, I clearly remember a conversation with Dave about this item and he explained to me he'd never seen one of those in existance, anymore. The discography information was based on infromation he'd gathered from a record store owner in his very early researches. This guy told him the Pumpkins had come in to play at the store or something else and they had this give-away thing going on. The band then sat down and coloured some boxes which were filled with the goodies. Now, way back in the days there might have been 10 people having this thing. Still, to find one complete, let alone in a good condition, I think is nearly impossible. Together with a couple of collecting friends I have tried very best to trace one down as I am sure Dave as done in the past. As he had contact with the store where the box was made and given away and he even didn't manage to find one, we might assume the task at hand is a very huge one, next to impossible. However, you never know when one might pop up somewhere...

Rider
05-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Endless Whining
I don't know if Eric has a picture of this particular box set.
However, I clearly remember a conversation with Dave about this item and he explained to me he'd never seen one of those in existance, anymore. The discography information was based on infromation he'd gathered from a record store owner in his very early researches. This guy told him the Pumpkins had come in to play at the store or something else and they had this give-away thing going on. The band then sat down and coloured some boxes which were filled with the goodies. Now, way back in the days there might have been 10 people having this thing. Still, to find one complete, let alone in a good condition, I think is nearly impossible. Together with a couple of collecting friends I have tried very best to trace one down as I am sure Dave as done in the past. As he had contact with the store where the box was made and given away and he even didn't manage to find one, we might assume the task at hand is a very huge one, next to impossible. However, you never know when one might pop up somewhere...

Even if we did ever find one it would be very easy to fake and very hard to prove that it was fake. All we have is a very vague description of something that sounds like it was homemade in about 10 minutes.

zerock
05-17-2004, 10:04 AM
well back in 1996 i bought cassette version of MCIS thats came in a cool box with the artwork on it, could that be it?

dean moriaty
05-19-2004, 08:45 AM
yeah some copies of the mcis cassette came in a long box although i haven't managed to track one down for myself yet...

dean moriaty
05-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey

too bad you don't study film or something. this could be an interesting documentary - like what's being left and what's forgotten and lost forever after 4 years. You know a lot, I bet a lot of people will be willing to talk to you, a possible climax could be a meeting with the One himself etc.

i don't do film or anything but i do write so i'm thinking of doing a diary kind of thing to put up on the site. also i'm trying to set up meetings with a few people while i'm over there. i'd LOVE to meet up with Dave A and people and hear what they have to say about the early days...

i'll let people know what comes out of it