View Full Version : A Perfect Circle

toddthatcher
05-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Just wondering if anybody else has caught A Perfect Circle on their current tour yet. I saw them Tuesday night at the Giant Center in Hershey, PA, and it was a really great show. They played about 8-9 songs off of each album, Maynard’s vocals were spot-on, and Billy Howerdel’s guitar work sounded even better live.

I thought that the opener, Burning Brides, sounded way too much like a Nirvana cover band, and they seemed like an odd choice to open for APC. But they were easily forgotten during APC’s excellent set. I was glad to hear the singles of course, but also a whole lot of other cuts like “The Noose” and “Pet” off of the amazing (in my opinion) Thirteenth Step . Anyone caught them on this tour yet, and what did you think?

http://www.toddthatcher.com/ttalbum1internetimage.gif
If you get a chance, check out my industrial-tinged alternative rock at http://www.toddthatcher.com

Isle
05-07-2004, 11:04 AM
just about everyoneone on netphoria has seen one of their shows

Caine Walker
05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
the apc was great.

buring brides were alright, i guess. to me, they were just a decent riff rock band. i'll agree, an odd choice of tour partners.

Debaser
05-07-2004, 01:35 PM
i dunno why, but apc just bores me. this is coming from somebody that has all the albums by tool.

oh, heh, i did see apc open for NIN years ago.

MstrGhost
05-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Debaser
i dunno why, but apc just bores me. this is coming from somebody that has all the albums by tool.

oh, heh, i did see apc open for NIN years ago.

Same here, what I like in tool is the fine music that's put out by danny, adam and justin not the media whore maynard wich has no important role as in apc ...Wich sound like some more alternative evanescence for pseudo goth girls with obvious lyrics and no surprising or worth to remember moments of music.

guz
05-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
Same here, what I like in tool is the fine music that's put out by danny, adam and justin not the media whore maynard wich has no important role as in apc how is Maynards role any different in APC than it is in Tool? he's singing in both, and plays no instrument.

I_was_aborted
05-07-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't even see why people compare Tool to APC at all. Just because they have the same singer? God, I didn't try to compare Zwan to the Pumpkins because it was possible, totally different musical stylings.

APC plays a lot of 3/4 which gives that waltz swaying feeling. Their music is more melodic and feminine than Tool. The drummer is a little more low key and the music is often led by lead guitar/vocal lines. Its not anywhere near the same musical stylings of Tool and shouldn't be compared as such, whether you like either or not. Its like comparing Wilco to Dj Shadow. Just doens't work out.

That being said I am a huge fanboy of Tool and A Perfect Circle but for totally different reasons.

guz
05-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted
I don't even see why people compare Tool to APC at all. Just because they have the same singer? God, I didn't try to compare Zwan to the Pumpkins because it was possible, totally different musical stylings.

APC plays a lot of 3/4 which gives that waltz swaying feeling. Their music is more melodic and feminine than Tool. The drummer is a little more low key and the music is often led by lead guitar/vocal lines. Its not anywhere near the same musical stylings of Tool and shouldn't be compared as such, whether you like either or not. Its like comparing Wilco to Dj Shadow. Just doens't work out.

That being said I am a huge fanboy of Tool and A Perfect Circle but for totally different reasons. have you seen the Weak and Powerless video, and any Tool videos? i'm don't compare the bands, though that new APC video didn't help them much.

I_was_aborted
05-07-2004, 03:12 PM
The weak and powerless video was all Maynard. I saw an interview with 3 of the band members and they were like "Uhh yeah we don't know what its about or anything. That was pretty much Maynard taking care of it."

Not to mention 80% of videos on these days are lame ass nu metal guys or rappers singing into the camera in either some dark industrial place or riding in a caddy with ho by their side. Just seeing a video which wasn't an effort to burn the bands faces into your face was refreshing. I don't watch MTV, or any other music channel for that matter anymore.

ProgressChrome
05-07-2004, 09:51 PM
my problem with APC is that they take up time between Tool albums which delays the release of a possible Tool album for many years

GrungeGuy
05-08-2004, 12:03 AM
I just saw APC for the 9th time tonight. Solid show, though I saw them last week and I thought they sounded a little tighter. Iha played a strange solo song. I am done with APC this tour, 3 dates was enough. Now to sit and wait for the next Tool record which is suppose to be written this summer. I need one more Tool tour so I can see them more than APC.

MstrGhost
05-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by guz
how is Maynards role any different in APC than it is in Tool? he's singing in both, and plays no instrument.

Sorry for not explaining, (and btw, sometimes maynard played guitar in tool for what I remember ...with the same frequency as ian curtis would pick up the teardrop vox :erm) I was refering that apc is more your average pop/rock band where you have 75% singer vs 25% the rest in order of importance due to acessible and direct lyrics with a touch of mistery "wich every teenager can relate to", and even if Billy is their front man, Maynard is their face for most of the public and the point of contact with most fans.
On Tool since Justin's ("music formed") inclusion they went in a prog rock direction (peach had a shitload of king crimson influence wich became part of tool too), not in your face almost hardcore as before in the first ep and some undertow. I just belive apc is hard to been seen without maynard, but tool would survive without him making the same style of music even without voice. It's like Maynard's voice was just another guitar in recent tool that screams like a wah (some 25% share, hah) sometimes but isn't always present.