View Full Version : Spinoff: What bad memories ruin good music for you?

Ihaman
05-06-2004, 01:35 AM
And share the stories:

Damien Rice - O: His name was Marc, the first indy kid I dated. I remember him briefly mentioning he liked Mazzy Star, but had told me he never heard of Damien Rice. So I took him to the parkinglot around the airport runway to cuddle in the back of my truck and listen to it. Cheers Darlin' came on and we began to make out, to which he stopped and said "Can you take me home?" He explained to me later he can't provide what I'm "Looking for" and never called me again.

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief: One of the last times I ever hung out with my friend Josh, he shot up heroin...I didn't think anything of it he did it maybe 3 times or so a month. He never tested it and almost died in front of me.

I can't think of anymore right now, but there are a lot more.

smiling politely
05-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Ihaman
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Songs from this were playing in my head when I was tripping out really hard last year and convinced myself that I was in hell, and other very bad stuff. It still kinda creeps me out to listen to it now.

:)

mewl
05-06-2004, 02:49 AM
it's really hard for me to listen to turn on the bright lights...i got it last autumn and it quickly became the album i'd listen to while sad, which was pretty much every waking moment back then.

i associate a lot of songs by ani, death cab for cutie, mazzy star, elliott smith, and le tigre with a girl i used to be in love with. ofcourse she didn't love herself enough to stick around.

i discovered the moon and antarctica in january. i was listening to the cold part when i decided upon a method to off myself. i haven't listened to it since february...

bah. sad thread.

ravenguy2000
05-06-2004, 06:23 AM
I can't listen to Aquemini because it reminds me of not having any responsibilty and getting ripped on Makers Mark and driving 80 mph in the back roads of rural Kentucky and screaming along to the lyrics and eating at waffle house at 3:00 am and not even going to sleep before school the next day with 6 of my friends packed into my parent's Saturn. :)

Oh wait....

sleeper
05-06-2004, 08:32 AM
that shit is dangerous. music i really enjoy or music i want to enjoy i listen to really selectively. some albums are 'special' and you have to do them the justice of a serious, clean mental-state listen. if i have a headache or am sick, ill never listen to music, because all it does is make negative associations. fuck, even music reviews or fans at a concert can make or break songs for you.

Radiofred
05-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Dont be such a wuss Sleeper! You got a headache you turn that fucking music up louder!!! Let the music guide you through the hard times bro

BlueStar
05-06-2004, 03:58 PM
I can't listen to anything by Dave Matthews Band without it reminding me of the summer of 2000 -- losing my virginity, everything that happened with the guy afterwards, and attending the DMB concert at RFK stadium in the pouring rain.

Irrelevant
05-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mewl
it's really hard for me to listen to turn on the bright lights...i got it last autumn and it quickly became the album i'd listen to while sad, which was pretty much every waking moment back then.

i associate a lot of songs by ani, death cab for cutie, mazzy star, elliott smith, and le tigre with a girl i used to be in love with. ofcourse she didn't love herself enough to stick around.

i discovered the moon and antarctica in january. i was listening to the cold part when i decided upon a method to off myself. i haven't listened to it since february...

bah. sad thread.

haha your life is fuckin' gay

Dead
05-06-2004, 05:26 PM
This one memory that I won't go into ruined a Spice Girls song for me, but a few weeks ago I listened and I can finally enjoy it again. :D

AndySlash
05-06-2004, 06:36 PM
It's not a bad memory (the skit's funny as hell), but I can't listen to "Don't Fear the Reaper" without hearing the fucking cowbell. I had never heard it before that bit aired.

spring
05-06-2004, 08:24 PM
tori amos - little earthquakes

i loved that fucking album to death, because this guy i was in love with gave it to me. a couple of months later, while i was in a different country...of course, i found out he had been telling everyone that we had an 'affair of 2 weeks', and he was already dating someone else..

blah. what an asshole. ruined a perfectly good album :( now everytime i listen to this i feel like i'm 'not good enough', and an idiot

sad thread indeed

shaniqua
05-06-2004, 11:57 PM
hah. too many to name. i'm sentimental as fuck. i get over it in the course of a month or a few, and it's just nostalgic, more than anything.

barden
05-07-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Egadsman
I'm having a hard time with anything Pumpkins right now, as with Dead, I'm not going into it, for two reasons. It's too involved and...I don't want ot say private, but private seems appropriate, and that person may very well read this, which I don't like the idea of anyway, so I may get paraniod and evetually delete this post.

TOO LATE! NOW YOU CANT DELETE SHIT! PAY ME AND I MAY DELETE <I>THIS</I> QUOTED POST!

Isle
05-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by AndySlash
It's not a bad memory (the skit's funny as hell), but I can't listen to "Don't Fear the Reaper" without hearing the fucking cowbell. I had never heard it before that bit aired.

god i love that song. i have an awesome live version of it, the solos are just mindblowing.

christian zombie vampires
05-07-2004, 11:26 AM
bad memories associated with a song eventually drift away and don't hurt. it's songs that are associated with great memories (like most pumpkins stuff) that i get uncomfortable listening to. actually time makes all memories seem good, but in a sad nostalgic way.

ProgressChrome
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
i listened to Sonic Youth - "murray street" and Beck - "sea change" after getting dumped, now they just remind me of that person and those times :(

Egadsman
05-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ^Agony_Imp^

TOO LATE! NOW YOU CANT DELETE SHIT! PAY ME AND I MAY DELETE <I>THIS</I> QUOTED POST!

No, actually this work, because most post exists, though you wouldn't be able to locate it via search username.